Michael never used auto tune, right?

I'm not really too familiar with Invincible, as I don't care much for it, but the "I am A Loser" demo is probably one of the best example of Michael's raw vocals in the noughties for comparative use. According to Michael Prince:
"What you’re hearing is Michael singing and Brad playing. That truly is the demo. Those vocals are untouched, un-tuned and unedited."

[video=youtube;LP3H8edWqmI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP3H8edWqmI[/video]

Listen to the Butterflies acapella, his voice sounds a bit odd during some parts, although the falsetto part seems to be untouched.

Ronnie Hudson & The Street People

California Love (featuring Roger Troutman)
This is based on a song from 1982 by Ronnie Hudson. There were 2 versions called East Coast Poplock & West Coast Poplock. That song had some influence from Roger's So Ruff So Tuff.

Re: Ronnie Hudson & The Street People

This is based on a song from 1982 by Ronnie Hudson. There were 2 versions called East Coast Poplock & West Coast Poplock. That song had some influence from Roger's So Ruff So Tuff.

yep. but california love was the mega hit

The "c'mon now" at the end of the bridge in Another Day sounds autotuned imo

It actually sounds horrible too lol

Im not sure if I understand the term autotune correctly but its altering the vocal sounds, right?
Like, if someone sings off key the autotune will fix it?

i dont think Michael would ever sing off key since singing came as natural to him as breathing, but I do find that the vocals on One More Chance are just....weird. Its like they lowered his voice and altered something. I cant quite put my finger on it.

I remember when i first heard autotune in K-ci and Jo Jo 's work in 2001. I also remember how Michael seemed fascinated with the autotune-ie noise at the end of Fall Again. that seemed like some kind of possible idea for voice alteration. But, maybe that's why it never got properly released as a single.
Something tells me, i doubt he liked too much voice alteration in his work, if any.
This is an interesting thread. Thanks for the knowledge!

Thank you for creating this thread. "You Rock My World" makes me wonder. The part towards the end of the song, where he says something that kinda sounds like "Hai-air ! Hai-air !" (before going "Hoo !"). It's one of my favorite parts, but I've always wondered if his voice was "helped" somehow. My opinion changes from time to time, I'm not sure.
Ive always thought rick ross & neyo used that "hai-air/yeah" on the song super high

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Roger

I read recently on Gearslutz that Roger Troutman worked on a song called Tomboy, not an early version of Smooth Criminal.
tumblr_pgrss7NTnF1rw606ko1_r1_500.png

Theres a story that Michael was interested in auto tunes.. messed with it and didnt work the way he hoped and walked from it..

Regarding if we've heard auto tune, that I'm not sure. There is alot mor out there for pitch alteration etc. That could have been used..

In invincible the difference in the vocals were more so filtering his vocal track over auto tune.. if you listen to old acapellas you hear Michael breathing, clapping. Sometines even turning the paper! You can hear all this. In invincible all that is taken out.. you hear his straight voice. When you take out his breathing style it takes a way alot of what made michael.. Michael! The authenticity behind it. Sounds more deliberate over feeling
. We hear and feel the difference

There is very obvious autotune on Threatened, but I think it was used more as a stylistic choice rather than because of any vocal problems.

I'd say for 2000 Watts from invincible album is fire autotune and the latest song from Drake with is auto tuned. But that song was most likely recently autotune by drake himself

Yes, MJ did use auto tune (pitch correction) on many tracks on Invincible and songs recorded after the invincible era. Listen to how processed his vocals sounds on One More Chance for example.

Last edited:
smooth-criminals;4232758 said:
The long note during You Are Not Alone is processed. To what degree, I don't know - but it's not Michael singing for that long.
There is no pitch correction there as auto tune hadn’t even been invented in 94 but they last note is compiled together with other takes.

Last edited:
Am I one of the only ones who thought MJ sounded great on Invincible?

long notes

The long note during You Are Not Alone is processed. To what degree, I don't know - but it's not Michael singing for that long.
Why do you think that's not him doing it for real? Bill Withers does a long note on Lovely Day and that came out in the 1970s. I read once that Donna Summer passed out on one take when doing the long note on Enough Is Enough with Barbra Streisand.

Re: long notes

Why do you think that's not him doing it for real? Bill Withers does a long note on Lovely Day and that came out in the 1970s. I read once that Donna Summer passed out on one take when doing the long note on Enough Is Enough with Barbra Streisand.

If you check the multitracks you can clearly hear his voice being replayed and edited mid-note.

If you check the multitracks you can clearly hear his voice being replayed and edited mid-note.
Ok, I haven't heard that. It's just the way it was written implied to me that they're saying it is impossible to do.

The info I have came from Brad Sunberg at some point. Like someone else said, if you hear the multitrack, you can hear that it stacks up and is indeed processed/looped.

Btw. I at first defended the idea of this, as it kinda broke my heart finding out he didn't hold that note. Haha.

Cutting a vocal and pasting it twice to sound longer siesnt have to be melodyne.. mike has done that a few times

Cutting a vocal and pasting it twice to sound longer siesnt have to be melodyne.. mike has done that a few times

Long notes from MJ

3:25 - all the way to the end. This one is insane.

[youtube]aJo5fh4JQJU[/youtube]

2:15 - 2:23
[youtube]S9nhTLWuJfU[/youtube]

Long notes from MJ

3:25 - all the way to the end. This one is insane.

[youtube]aJo5fh4JQJU[/youtube]

2:15 - 2:23
[youtube]S9nhTLWuJfU[/youtube]

I don't think anyone said that he couldn't do long notes, just that the one on YANA is artificially lengthened by copying the same vocal a few times.

I don't think anyone said that he couldn't do long notes, just that the one on YANA is artificially lengthened by copying the same vocal a few times.

Yeah I know, but the way it was written was implied to me that that fear was impossible to do.

Am I one of the only ones who thought MJ sounded great on Invincible?

No! I also think he sounds amazing on that album. His vocals are more mature, if that makes sense, just a little deeper than usual, but yet he could still go really high. He shows some really great vocals there.

Back