Christmas program honors Jackson's life

MsMo

Proud Member
December 24, 2010
BY LISA DENEAL, POST-TRIBUNE CORRESPONDENT

GARY -- Area families got the chance to have a few hours of holiday cheer and honor the late King of Pop Thursday during a party at the 529 Bar and Grill.

"Christmas for the Children: A Tribute to Michael Jackson" was sponsored by a local not-for-profit organization, United Urban Network, founded by Cassandra Cannon.

1224jackson.jpg_20101224_08_25_49_3-109-165.imageContent

Jihad Muhammad explains the principles of Kwanzaa while lighting a candle on the Kinara at United Urban Network Inc./Steel City Renaissance "Christmas for the Children: A tribute to Michael Jackson."
(Scott M. Bort/Post-Tribune)

Cannon, who also serves as the organization's CEO, said while the organization was put together in 1992, it became a not-for-profit in 2004.
"Today, we decided to honor a Gary native who cared a lot about children and he has said in the past that he would love to return to his hometown and help the children," said Cannon.

After filling up on a buffet of pasta dishes, tamales, vegetable, salad and cake, children and adults enjoyed live entertainment from Ernie "Lady Sax" Shelby, American Idol's Season 9 contestant Marcus Jones and Michael Jackson impersonator Dashon Butler.
Jones, who was part of American Idol's top 100, in Season 9, performed classic Christmas songs "Silver Bells" and "Little Drummer Boy" for the audience.

"I've been singing since I was 12 and I feel honored to do this party for children in my hometown," Jones, 20, said.

Dharthula Harris, 529 Bar and Grill owner, said she was more than happy to open her business for the party.

"The children are having a good time and enjoying good food," she said.
Tara Watkins of Gary brought her three children, Drakori Nicks, 6, Ya'Shaya Nicks, 3 and Amiya Nicks, 2, to the party.

"Drakori's teacher invited us to the party and it is really wonderful. My Christmas gift however, came early seeing Amiya eat a full meal for the first time since Thanksgiving.

"She was stricken with a virus that infected and inflamed her intestines and she could not eat. Watching her eat today is a great gift," Watkins said.

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/2984960,gjackson1224.article

That was nice.. Great that they are still thinking of MJ during this time

Back