Question about Jacksons Gold Record

mjbusterdion2009

Proud Member
Hi I dont know if this is the right place to put this but i just bought a Rare Victory Gold Record that was presented to Michael Jackson for so many sales.. Im waiting for the person i bought it from to send me a photo she has of Michael being presented with it..

As i am a bit wary does anyone know where/how you go about checking the C.O.A of the item as I have 7 days to cancel until my money goes thru.. I have purchased a Fedora as well thats signed by MJ but i have the C.O.A for that and the same place don't deal with records..

Anyone help??

Thanks xxx

i wouldnt chance it :no:because it could just be a duplicate or something :yes:
that is only my opinion :yes:

Ideally you should be able to trace the provenance of the item back to Michael, so ask where she obtained it from and for documentation before that eg records of sales at eg charity events, auctions, notes from vendors about the item being gifted to them etc. If you ever want to sell, your purchaser will want to know the same details ie the 'HIStory of the item...same for the Fedora. (So once you have all your documentation, keep it safe).
There is usually a plaque on the record background saying who it was presented to, as gold records can be presented to lots of people involved with the record production. The records are usually framed in a particular way, so ask if it is in the original frame. This would mean it would be unlikely for the plaque to have been altered / exchanged. The frame would also probably show signs of appropriate age. I think they usually have an RIAA number or other reference on them...not sure of the exact format for the Victory era...RIA may be after this. (See description of MJ's 'I want you Back' gold record below...which has no RIAA number.

Also make sure that any COAs are from a reputable source and are properly signed and 'hologrammed' (with a sealed id number) and usually with a picture of the matching item on the certificate..

Sorry I cannot post the picture for 'I want you back' ..its just a gold disk on a plain black background with a gold coloured frame...the link doesn't want to work.
However The description for this item is: This gold single of 1969's “I Want You Back” by the Jackson 5 is mounted on black velveteen in a black wood frame with a gold inner frame * The gold single belonged to Michael Jackson * On the back, in black pen, is written the name Michael, as well as the printed no. 2210 and the address of DSA Award Ltd in L.A. 12 x 12 ( So this record had no presentation plaque and the details were written on the back instead...presumably of the frame and not the record!.)
Basically you ust need to make sure that everything about the item is right for its age, and that it has the right frame, appearance and inscriptions on it, for that era. You could try looking up gold records on ebay or google and see what other gold records of that era look like.

Last edited:
Back