ACTION NEEDED: Stand up to Tabloid Journalism/Support Truthful and Honest Journalism!

windy09

Proud Member
IMPORTANT (Pardon the detail, but please read entire post)
Once again it's our time to shine and raise our voice as ONE!
:sun:
WE are asking that as a community we not only stand up against sensationalistic and tabloid journalism, but we also support truthful and honest journalism. While this story about TMZ has been posted before, this post will serve as an updated approach to addressing two different types of reporting; positive and negative. Listed below are 4 journalism scenarios for which we all can speak our voice.

POSITIVE (Support Needed)

1.) Re: Supporting Truthful, honest journalism: Supporting Charles Thomson:

http://www.filthytabloidtrash.com/2011/01/18/support-for-journalist-charles-thomson/

Support for journalist Charles Thomson (Posted in: Fair & Ethical Journalism)

Charles Thomson is someone who you all know already. He is a journalist who needs no introduction in the MJ community. A journalist committed to not only accurate and honest reporting, but powerful reporting—reporting that challenges, informs and clarifies. Whether killing the false accusations of Gene Simmons, calling attention to the still-existent media bias towards Michael, charting the scale of the injustice of the 2005 trial, or clarifying the ridiculous hype of a TMZ non-story, Charles Thomson’s public work has consistently told the truth about Michael Jackson.

One of the consequences of this is, unfortunately, that this outstanding journalist has become the focus of confused individuals (so-called “haters”) who are targeting Mr. Thomson precisely because he is not biased, is making a difference in how Michael Jackson is perceived in the public domain. successful and is

Rather than give publicity to the various means in which Thomson is being attacked, let us instead look at how we can support Thomson and help him to continue the important and necessary work he is doing.

Want to show your support for Charles Thomson? Here’s how:

Visit this article by Thomson at the Huffington Post:
“One of the Most Shameful Episodes In Journalistic History”
/ June 10, 2010
You have probably already read it, but that’s okay. We’re not asking you to re-read it, but to do something very simple and easy:
SHARE + TWEET + EMAIL

At the beginning of the article, there is a “share this story” box with icons to let you easily share the article on Twitter, Facebook, and via email. Please click all three of these social media links. That’s how easy it is to show your support!

Why are these three clicks important? Even though the comments are closed, clicking these three social media links sends a direct, recorded notification to the Huffington Post that Charles Thomson’s work is read, appreciated and in demand. When you click those three links, you send a physical and perceptual message to the fantastic Huffington Post editorial team that Thomson brings their site traffic and approval. Every site owner wants that—wouldn’t you?

Send that message today and keep sending it. There is no limit on how many times you click it and you can tell your friends to join in too. We would like to get the Twitter and Facebook clicks up to thousands more.
When people talk about how social media changes things, this is what they mean.

Thank you.

NEGATIVE (Stand up against)

2.) TMZ : To click or not to click?

Today, TMZ ran a story about a MJ fan who supports Dr Murray and said he is a 'nice guy.' It was a total non-story, and of course, designed to
encourage hits on TMZ. Accordingly, here is some info you may wish to pass along or note for yourself:

Facts & Numbers: Does Web Traffic Correlate to Revenue?

http://myemail.<wbr>constantcontact.com/Please--<wbr>for-Michael-s-sake--don-t-<wbr>click-on-TMZ.html?soid=<wbr>1103691007590&aid=0szkrxx8mNc

3.) TMZ: Don't Even Go There: (We have options) -- All TMZ stories can be accessed on this website:

http://home.mjnewsalerts.com/<wbr>2011/01/19/michael-jackson-<wbr>fan-i-support-dr-murray/

This group are kindly monitoring TMZ so fans don't give TMZ traffic by going there. TMZ who are also the owners of the above site is:

@MJNEWSALERTS

4.) Offline Complaints to TMZ:

Even if fans are going to TMZ to complain about a story it still gives TMZ hits. That is what they want. That is all they want.

If people want to complain to TMZ, they can do so OFFLINE as per the details contained within this link below:

http://www.filthytabloidtrash.<wbr>com/2011/01/16/a-do-nothing-<wbr>approach-to-boycotting-tmz/

Finally:

Now that TMZ have firmly set out their stall as being non-ethical traders in half-baked sensationalism, it is more important than ever that fans understand that giving TMZ traffic makes a mockery of our long term calls for an end to abusive, propagandist, biased media.

Please pass It On. Thank you!

I've been banging the tambourine to get TMZ tabloid stories off this site forever but alas there are still here even in thread titles and in the Seeking the Truth section instead of the tabloid section. Talk to Gaz about banning TMZ from here.

I've been banging the tambourine to get TMZ tabloid stories off this site forever but alas there are still here even in thread titles and in the Seeking the Truth section instead of the tabloid section. Talk to Gaz about banning TMZ from here.

Good point and good idea. We still need other people outside of MJJC to do this as well. I will send an email to Gaz. Thank you.

Totally agree with this. I support Charles Thomson. :) I don't even know why TMZ stories are posted on this forum. I don't care how positive the stories might seem, no one should read it. Tabloid junk. :no:

Please, for Michael's sake,
don't click on TMZ January 2011

Does Web Traffic Correlate to Revenue?

The success of a website is dependent on traffic to the website. A content based website such as TMZ often gets a lot of traffic (12 million visitors per month, each visitor generating multiple page views) due to incoming links and higher visibility to search engines. It relies mainly on ad publishing for its revenue stream. With advertising rates so low these days, only a very high volume website (more than 1 million page views per month) can make substantial money.

Traffic can be related to ad publishing revenue for content-based websites because higher page views generate more ad revenue.

How Revenue Depends on Traffic

Let's consider the income potential for a content based website such as TMZ. A web page on average can show two banners (one on top and one skybanner on the side). The average CPM (cost per thousand) rates are around $0.50. This translates to a CPC (cost per click) rate of $0.10 per click with a 0.5% CTR (click through rate).

The website can also show one pop under ad per visitor at $3.00 CPM. The revenue that can be generated is below (assuming an average 5 page views per visitor).

Monthly Page Views 2 Banners @ $0.50 CPM Pop Under @ $3.00 CPM

25,000 $ 25/month $ 15/month
100,000 $ 100/month $ 60/month
1,000,000 $ 1,000/month $ 600/month
30,000,000 $ 30,000/month $ 18,000/month

For high traffic websites and for niche markets, the owner can negotiate a higher CPM rate. On top of that, these websites can promote one line ads directly from the advertiser for a fixed amount per month. Usually that rate is around $500 per month per text ad for approximately 30 million page impressions per month or 0.0167 CPM.

In the case of TMZ, Harvey Levin and his band of punks know that anything with Michael's name in the headline will generate clicks. The story doesn't even have to be true! Therefore, outrageous claims, salacious headlines, sick and twisted stories--doesn't matter--they all generate clicks for TMZ and put money in Harvey Levin's pocket.

For more insight into TMZ's disreputable practices, click here.

The next time you're tempted to click on TMZ and put money in Harvey Levin's pocket, please remind yourself that this is what you're supporting. Here's the latest TMZ smear of Michael Jackson's personal legacy.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=gtryr...PA5xsYlRVxCseWRiYpP9PFi6inATBVwyA-hdd7cUepw==

Here's Charles Thomson's rebuttal.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=gtryr...xRfHTN_f8ySmhaHBVrWo6gcry4vKb2nZiYPcOXW0G6us=

Please, for Michael's sake, don't click on TMZ.

MJTruthNow.com

You'd think that this latest slander by TMZ would get them banned from this board once and for all.

Comon Gaz, what more do you need to erase, delete make disappear everything about TMZ from here?

The below article it is long as its' title, but interesting nevertheless.
Talks of how we the TV viewers are "trained"

Packaging Television News: The Effects of Tabloid on Information Processing and Evaluative Responses.(Abstract)

An except:
"Four male reporters with professional experience in broadcast news were used for voice over narrations. Each narrated two versions (obtrusive and unobtrusive voice tone) of two stories to control for individual voice differences. A standard version of each story was first produced on an AVID non-linear digital editing system. Copies of the stories were made and then flashes, slow motion, recordings of the obtrusive voice narrations, sound effects, and music were added to create the tabloid versions"

It is one thing to discuss in group and another to read the psychology that goes into feeding us opinions and into using our emotions to have us form prescribed judgments.

Does Web Traffic Correlate to Revenue?

The success of a website is dependent on traffic to the website. A content based website such as TMZ often gets a lot of traffic (12 million visitors per month, each visitor generating multiple page views) due to incoming links and higher visibility to search engines. It relies mainly on ad publishing for its revenue stream. With advertising rates so low these days, only a very high volume website (more than 1 million page views per month) can make substantial money.

Had someone send me a link to an article on Murray's trial. They said there were over 3,000 comments. Well my friend knows how I feel about that so I went to take a look. Upon closer inspection what I found was an article by a credible legal writer (Linda Deutch) re-printed on a website which may or may not had a similar article written on Apr 21, 2010 about the forthcoming trial. They were showing the article, ie., site has having over 3,000 comment for that page.

The latest comment which is predominate was an hour ago and it was negative. I suspect it was negative in hope of drawing Fans to increased the numbers.

In 2009 when I would rush to every negative article to defend Michael I began to notice something. There would be comments I'd seen on other pages and once found one of my own (truly) and that is when the bells began to ring and I started paying attention and stopped running to give my money to people who insult MJ for profit and my intelligence.

I don't want to see any TMZ here not in Michael's house. TMZ belongs in trash IMO. They know how MJ fans operate when we see something negative written, we all go to their website to tell them what we think, they love that it is more traffic for them therefore more money.

Dialdancer, very interesting information which you have posted (two recent posts). Knowing that this is their intent truly leaves me with such negative thoughts. With that said, I do not want to live in a negative state of mind. Thus knowing this information, I choose to educate myself and your posts are helping to do this. By educating ourselves, we will ultimately stop the free flow of money to these people. I know not everyone will see this, because I still see people going to TMZ, but I will continue have hope. Thank you. :better:

Last edited:
Back