Butterflies Writer Talks About Michael

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
(4-2-2011) Not many artists can say they worked with a music legend when they were still new to the business but, Marsha Ambrosius sure can and she has fond memories of her time in the studio with the King of Pop.

The English songbird wrote and produced the song "Butterflies" for Michael Jackson's INVINCIBLE album.

“The original record I produced and wrote myself,” Ambrosius told Rap-Up.com. “Andre Harris co-produced it with me. I worked with Michael Jackson on the record here in New York in March 2001. Wow, it’s 10 years later and my album is going to be out. I just did the math on that. It’s crazy.”

As a tribute to Jackson, Ambrosius has included a remix of "Butterflies" on her upcoming debut album, LATE NIGHTS & EARLY MORNINGS.

“Getting the opportunity to work with the best who ever did it, on planet Earth, period, is just a blessing. For me, it was just paying my respects. For those who don’t know, I’ve worked with him, but I knew him outside of music. I knew him as a father, as a friend. It was me paying my respects back to him and just thanking him for doing something for me so early in my career I never expected. When I came in the industry at such an early age — for me, 20, 21 — it was way early to take on as a businesswoman and having Michael Jackson be one of the first artists that you work with as a producer and a writer... I just think that’s a blessing.”

Although Jackson had a reputation for being reserved and soft-spoken in public, Ambrosius says behind studio doors, he was anything but.

“Michael Jackson was a practical joker. He was just funny! And his laugh just made you laugh. When we were in the studio, his engineer kept calling me a singing heifer. And [Michael] would tell the engineer, ‘You know a heifer is a cow, that’s a cow.’ I’ll never forget that. So I’ll always be Michael Jackson’s singing heifer.”

The former Floetry member will release her debut solo LP March 1st.

Source: MJFC / rap-up.com

MsCassieMollie;3230183 said:
(4-2-2011) Not many artists can say they worked with a music legend when they were still new to the business but, Marsha Ambrosius sure can and she has fond memories of her time in the studio with the King of Pop.

The English songbird wrote and produced the song "Butterflies" for Michael Jackson's INVINCIBLE album.

“The original record I produced and wrote myself,” Ambrosius told Rap-Up.com. “Andre Harris co-produced it with me. I worked with Michael Jackson on the record here in New York in March 2001. Wow, it’s 10 years later and my album is going to be out. I just did the math on that. It’s crazy.”

As a tribute to Jackson, Ambrosius has included a remix of "Butterflies" on her upcoming debut album, LATE NIGHTS & EARLY MORNINGS.

“Getting the opportunity to work with the best who ever did it, on planet Earth, period, is just a blessing. For me, it was just paying my respects. For those who don’t know, I’ve worked with him, but I knew him outside of music. I knew him as a father, as a friend. It was me paying my respects back to him and just thanking him for doing something for me so early in my career I never expected. When I came in the industry at such an early age — for me, 20, 21 — it was way early to take on as a businesswoman and having Michael Jackson be one of the first artists that you work with as a producer and a writer... I just think that’s a blessing.”

Although Jackson had a reputation for being reserved and soft-spoken in public, Ambrosius says behind studio doors, he was anything but.

“Michael Jackson was a practical joker. He was just funny! And his laugh just made you laugh. When we were in the studio, his engineer kept calling me a singing heifer. And [Michael] would tell the engineer, ‘You know a heifer is a cow, that’s a cow.’ I’ll never forget that. So I’ll always be Michael Jackson’s singing heifer.”

that made me laugh so hard...Michael is comical......thank you so much for sharing this...:wub:

:heart:

I love this.

Thanks for this. She didn't meet him until working on the song though, right? That's the impression we've always got, I'd say.

Marsha has always said amazing stuff about Michael for years, its so obvious how much it meant to her to be working with him. He's the best of the best.

:rofl::) I get the impression that Mike was a bit worried if the engineer was going too far trying to be funny and friendly. "Heifer" can be a rude word to use to call a woman, right?
I guess he was like, "Man, why did ya call her that?" but cracking up at the same time. Marsha didn't seem to feel offended at that time. Obviously, it's part of sweet memories now.

Thanks for posting!

Thank you for posting this, it's so sweet.

And lol at Michael explaining to his engineer that a heifer is a cow. :) Too sweet. I too think he meant that the heifer isn't Marsha, but a cow. But it's still so so funny the way it comes out :)

MsCassieMollie;3230183 said:

:clapping:Thanks... You had me in tears of laughter... Michael is such a :tease:

Im my opinion Butterflies was one of the last great mj tracks..Butterflies can hold up along with alot of mj material and can also stand the test of time..With the ' Just my imagintion' sample to the lyrics to the range of mj on that song..It gives off a wonderul aura and power.

Great song

:rofl:

I can so hear him saying that!

See this is the type of thing I wanna hear more of, the fun personal side of MJ that we were'nt privy to.

'Butterflies" is such an amazingly beautiful song... one of the the most beautiful ever.... and this duo Michael and Marsha... just perfect....

thanks for posting:)

Last edited:
i was just about to post this very same article, so i will just port the pic of her that was not posted :)

Marsha Ambrosious

marsha-ambrosius.jpg
she was definitely lucky, and super talented so much more than the cr*p record companies decide to promote, like taylor swift or lady gaga, urghh,

Marsha Ambrosious, she is a real talented woman, i will definitely buy her album :)

Thanks for a positive interview. She is stunning in that picture and I like her tattoo.

What sample?

Im my opinion Butterflies was one of the last great mj tracks..Butterflies can hold up along with alot of mj material and can also stand the test of time..With the ' Just my imagintion' sample to the lyrics to the range of mj on that song..It gives off a wonderul aura and power.

Great song

Thanks for sharing, loved to read this about Michael! Love this song and this lady's obviously very talented. Michael being adorable as always too.

thanks for posting this
so there are photos of Michael recording Butterflies
and his vocals were very fragile

Back