Make-Up & Beauty Thread

Alyssa

Proud Member
Hey, so I searched for a thread like this, and I couldn't find one, and thus I made one! :D

I thought it would be a good wee thread for Make-up junkies/addicts to discuss/talk about new products, post pictures of our favourite products/products of the week..or even post pictures of new make up hauls!

Ill start! :p

Recently I bought this LOréal Paris Studio Secrets Smoothing Resurfacing Primer. And I have to say I've been using it for 3 days now, and I love it.
Honestly, you notice a difference straight away when you put it on.

Its so velvety and goes on really smoothly, and ya literally only need like a wee wee tiny bit of it like.

Also there was a lot of speculation as to whether it actually helps your make up last longer, and for me it does! I did my make up this morning at 10am, and as of right now its still on, and looks literally the same as it did this morning. I know almost 13 hours with make up on...thats sooo not good! But I've been working really long hours today! And it will be coming off as soon as i wrap up this post! :lmao:

scaled.php

When it runs out I can say I WILL be re-purchasing this product as I love it.

Cost: £14.49
Purchased at: Superdrug
Dupe: Gosh Primer (Its really great too...and in around the same price)

:cheeky:

I'm a makeup junkie. I love trying new cosmetics out but I mostly stick to drugstore finds as I have to watch my budget. For foundation right now I am using ERA spray on foundation by Classified Cosmetics. I had tried it a few years ago and loved it but it was too expensive to purchase on a regular basis. But they recently had a great sale so I went ahead and ordered. I love this foundation. It stays on all day with great coverage. Only thing is I don't spray it on my face like you're supposed to. I apply it using a makeup sponge. Works just as well only with no mess.

Cool thread! I'm a make-up & beauty junkie too.

Alyssa, I have got the Gosh primer you are speaking about. I quite like it, but I'm still not convinced about the real added value of primers in general. If you have a really good foundation (added onto moisturized skin) it should be beautiful and have staying power on itself I'd think. Still, this Gosh primer makes my skin so velvety. If I want to test another primer one day I'll go for the L'Óreal one.

A recent discovery of mine is Rimmel GlamEyes mascara. I used to try every kind of high-end mascara out there, and for over the top evening lashes I still like DiorShow or YSL Faux Cils/Everlong waterproof best, but for a tighter budget and for everyday, nicely seprated and long lashed I love Rimmel GlamEyes (not the waterproof version!). It is a comb mascara which is really handy. On the first coat I wasn't to overly impressed, but the 2nd and 3rd coat made for a beautiful result. I would advise against that other hyped up Rimmel mascara, being sexycurves. For me it was the worst mascara I've ever tried.

Also, I love some Body Shop products. Lip&cheek tint for example. It's a light berry color that can be applied to both lips and cheeks. Instantly freshed-faced with this stuff.

If I have money to splurge (my income varies per month as I work freelance) I love to spend it on anthing Chanel. Their foundations are divine (although not covering much) and give you instant glow and their eyeshadows.... gaaah! I'm addicted. I only have 3 quads of them now, but I absolutely love them. They have a very subtle glitter that does not make your eyes look discoballish, but really sophisticated somehow.

Last beauty buy: Body Shop vitamine C face scrub. My skin looks twice as good after scrubbing with this stuff. I did think it was a tad overpriced though, as a good scrub can also be cheaply done with some grainy sugar mixed with olive oil.

I think this is one thread where us males won't be interested in much :p

Roosje;3244553 said:
A recent discovery of mine is Rimmel GlamEyes mascara. I used to try every kind of high-end mascara out there, and for over the top evening lashes I still like DiorShow or YSL Faux Cils/Everlong waterproof best, but for a tighter budget and for everyday, nicely seprated and long lashed I love Rimmel GlamEyes (not the waterproof version!). It is a comb mascara which is really handy. On the first coat I wasn't to overly impressed, but the 2nd and 3rd coat made for a beautiful result. I would advise against that other hyped up Rimmel mascara, being sexycurves. For me it was the worst mascara I've ever tried.

Totally agree with you, i purchased the Sexycurves mascara and it was SHITE! lol Just pure terrible! :lol:
Although i much prefer cheaper mascaras to like dear ones. Ive tried Mac, Clinique, and alot of other high-end mascaras, and tbh i much prefer the likes of under £5 mascaras. They are sooo much better!
Although i bought the Loreal Volume Millions Mascara, and i do like it.

L_Oreal_Volume_Million_Lashes_9ml1273830295.jpg

Its really good, although not so good for the lower lashes as the brush is kinda too big for them. And im kinda in two-minds as to whether or not I would re-purchase it.

^^ Is it new? I've never seen it in stores. Gotta try it as I really like your lashes in your pics ;)

Maybeline's the Colossal (waterproof) I like a lot also for volumising, The wand is very big though, so mistakes are easily made. I haven't been able to find my holygrail mascara yet. I'm always on the lookout for something better.

For eyeshadows I quite like the brand Bourjois. They are a bit like Chanel's in consistency and they have very nice colors.

I'm always searching for the perfect lipgloss. I've come pretty close but every time I find one I like it's taken off the market or the store no longer sells my shade.

Do you guys have any favorite lipglosses?

Right now my favorite is a cheapo/unknown brand I purchased at a local chain store called Gems. The last couple times I went back to look for it they didn't have my shade. So depressing, lol. The Brand is called L.A. colors. It was the perfect consistency and shade of pink. Maybe I'll Google it to see if it's sold online elsewhere. Otherwise, I will miss you almost perfect lipgloss. :(

Edit: I found the company website, yay!: http://www.lacolors.com/productdetail.php?catID=0001.0002.0002.0000&MainiD=0001.0002.0000.0000

Suzy: I hardly use lip gloss as it is so sticky and it annoys me when my hair sticks to my lips, but my favourite lip gloss is Bourjous effect 3D. I don't know if Bourjois retails in the US though. Over here it's a drug store brand with department store quality imo.

In my country MAC is only sold in limited places, so very hard to get by and every make-up junkie is always raving about their stuff *jealous*.

Last edited:
I dont really wear lipglosses. i just stick to Lipsticks.
My favourite at the minute is Creme Cup by MAC.

Oh yes yes yes! I wanna talk makeup with my fellow MJJC beauties!!! :wub:

I've made a promise to myself that I'd stop buying so much makeup. I need to start saving my money for some surgeries that I'll need in the future because insurance won't pay for them.

Foundation Primer - I prefer either smashbox Photo Finish Primer or Make Up For Ever HD primer in either the regular one or the blue one. Those are the only two that I find worth using.

Foundation - I like to have both a powder and a liquid, but my problem is since I'm so fair I'm SO hard to match. I've spent hundreds of dollars on foundations that weren't the right shade for me. So far the only ones that are perfect matches are Bare Escentuals and Bobbi Brown so I pretty much stick with those :)

Eyeshadow - MAC, Bare Escentuals, and Coastal Scents. 'Nuff said :lol:

Mascara - Still on the hunt for that HG mascara. So far I like Cover Girl Lash Blast and Maybelline Volume Express, but I don't love them.

Lipstick/lipgloss - Bottom line, I don't wear them. i don't waste my money on them. They're all crap. i don't like the feel, I don't like that they get all over and don't stay in place. They just suck. It's a shame too because it looks so pretty, but so not worth my time or money.

Eyeliner - So far Smashbox cream eyeliner. LOVE! And also Bare Escentuals liner shadows. I can only use cream or powder eyeliners though. Liquid and gel is too hard to apply, and pencils tug too much. I would like to try Tarte's eyeliners :)

Update: I found my favorite lipgloss on Ebay. :D Why didn't I think of that sooner? :doh:

My current favorite makeup staples:

Foundation: Era spray on foundation (already covered in previous post). When this runs out I will return to the cheaper but almost as good Almay TLC brand or Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless cream foundation.

Eyeliner: I have 2 favorite brands that I alternate depending on whether they are available in the stores. First one is Styli-Style 24 Line & Seal. This stuff is long lasting and easy to apply. Second one is Revlon Colorstay in Blackberry (a plum shade). This one stays put all day but it does tend to finish fast.

Lipgloss - L.A. Colors moisturizing lipgloss in Blushing Pink.

Lipstick - L.A. Girl in Baby Doll.

Blush - I have tried so many but the one I like currently is a peachy/pink color from a small makeup kit I got as a Christmas gift. I also like Bare Minerals blushes but you need to use a light hand with them.

Mascara - I don't wear mascara often but when I do it's Covergirl Lash Blast.

Eyeshadow - I don't have a favorite. I guess I'm still searching for one that works for me.

What I am on the hunt now is for a good large round hairbrush. I have very thick hair and most of the brushes I have tried don't grab onto my hair from the roots enough while I am blow drying. The one I have been using for many years was perfect but it's getting old and the bristles are falling out (I know the feeling, heh).

Last edited:
Woohoo..love hearing all your favourite make up products! :D
Can i just say, SLEEK!
Sleek is a brand which is available in the UK and Ireland
and its absolutely UNREAL!
so far ive only used the ink pots- gel liner, and
the eyeshadow palettes. the palettes are AMAZING!
They are constantly coming out with new palettes.
The colours are sooo pigmented, and the colour payoff
is brilliant. They have like matte, glitter and shimmer finishes. Ahhhh i just LOVE them!
Totally recommenced them!! :D :D

Ash, im totally gonna buy the coastal scents palette, as soon as i get round to it! :D

Heres a few pics of the palettes

sleek_storm_palette2.jpg

^ this is a really lovely palette, great for an everyday smokey eye look... i use this palette the most id say!

CIMG4144.JPG

^ the bottom row..the 2nd colour in, looks pink, but its soooo class
its got like gold specs in it, its just a beautiful colour! :D

IMG_0841.JPG

^ all the colours in that palettes are sooo glittery!! with the exception of like 3 of them!
ahhhhhhhh theyre just unreal!!!

Yay! A makeup and beauty thread! :D

I use Bare Escentuals for foundation, concealer, eyeshadow...Smashbox Cosmetics for eyeshadow, eyeliner, and lip gloss. For eye primer, I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance. For mascara, I use CoverGirl Waterproof LashExact.

I have heaps of make up but i rarely wear them anynore as i dont really go out much.

I think i love eyeshadows & lipsticks the most

Make up thread! I normally wear liquid foundation, mascara and a light blush every day, but I'm so poor at the moment that I'm trying to make the best of my foundation so I'm not wearing it as much as I usually do. Mostly I use the Body Shop brand because it's great for sensitive skin, and they don't test on animals.

I usually wear:
CoverGirl Lashblast (orange tube) black, and to a lesser extent, Diorshow.
Revlon Colorstay under-eye concealer
Revlon Colorstay liquid eyeliner black
CoverGirl instant cheekbones contouring blush in Refined Rose. In the summer months I wear Physician's Formula Bronzer.
Revlon Colorstay Brow Enhancer

I use different eyeshadow colors and brands, but I favor Revlon Colorstay. I also change up the lip glosses/lipsticks but I'm partial to L'Oréal Colour Riche.

I use all sorts of brand names ,doesnt really matter to me if they are expensive or not. As long as they do the job they were meant to then im happy lol

I don't wear much make-up, probably wouldn't even if I had the money to buy them :D Just the basics, mascara, foundation/powder, eyeliner sometimes (when I go out). Eyeshadow and lipstick are things I never grew up to use..

Alyssa;3244884 said:
Totally agree with you, i purchased the Sexycurves mascara and it was SHITE! lol Just pure terrible! :lol:
Although i much prefer cheaper mascaras to like dear ones. Ive tried Mac, Clinique, and alot of other high-end mascaras, and tbh i much prefer the likes of under £5 mascaras. They are sooo much better!
Although i bought the Loreal Volume Millions Mascara, and i do like it.

L_Oreal_Volume_Million_Lashes_9ml1273830295.jpg

Its really good, although not so good for the lower lashes as the brush is kinda too big for them. And im kinda in two-minds as to whether or not I would re-purchase it.
I also have the Volume Million Lashes mascara and a Super Liner Duo liquid eyeliner that came with it :)
superliner_300.jpg

I like them both but mostly I use Blueberry Volume Mascara by Lumene. Lumene is a Finnish cosmetic brand (http://www.lumene.com/) Most of the products I own are from them.

I also use Lumene Natural Code mineral powder and Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation. And Touche Magique concealer by L'Oreal :)

Those are the products I mainly use.

ahhh...so I've discovered a new (well, to me, new lol) called 'Youngblood'...I am in love with this line! I used to use Aveda product and I still do because I have so much of their makeup...but I absolutely adore Youngblood's liquid foundation...I usually can't use liquid foundation because I find my skin too oily for it, and even if I use a translucent powder, I'm still shiny...But this Youngblood stuff literally makes my skin look flawless and completely natural, and doesn't leave my skin shiny or oily, and I don't even need translucent powder with it..It's more of a yellow-undertone which I find matches me perfectly....

This is the foundation...It's just amazing...
http://www.ybskin.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21_31&osCsid=32933953466a644cead672a4503492b2

anyone can recommend an eyeliner (liquid or pencil) that doesn't smudge? i have tried bobbi brown, clinique before.

arklove, i'll definitely give YB a try. I have never heard of it before. I have oily and sensitive skin. (yuk!) It's so difficult to find a liquid foundation that doesn't turn my face into a grease pan. tried armani before. don't think it lives up to the hype. am using Estee Lauder's double matte. but, it doesn't look that natural...

one makeup product that i really like is Urban Decay's eye shadow primer. It does help my eyeshadown stay in put the whole day.

I really love YB....I've never used such a great foundation...When I was younger, I couldn't afford really good foundation, but as I was able to afford it as I got older, I tried every foundation from The Body Shop and Aveda (which are both good because they're mostly organic product, and that's what I always stick with)...I thought I had found the perfect foundation with Aveda, but nope, since I've found YB, I LOVE my new foundation....I don't have a lot of YB product yet, because it's still fairly new to me...But I bought 2 loose eyeshadows (they don't smudge!) and two lipglosses...The lipglosses are true to colour and they're not too sticky....I really want to try this stuff next:

http://www.ybskin.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21_109&osCsid=e597d91827ba25eac9bff9cb5eeebb8b

I haven't tried any of their eyeliners or anything like that yet....

ahhh...so I've discovered a new (well, to me, new lol) called 'Youngblood'...I am in love with this line! I used to use Aveda product and I still do because I have so much of their makeup...but I absolutely adore Youngblood's liquid foundation...I usually can't use liquid foundation because I find my skin too oily for it, and even if I use a translucent powder, I'm still shiny...But this Youngblood stuff literally makes my skin look flawless and completely natural, and doesn't leave my skin shiny or oily, and I don't even need translucent powder with it..It's more of a yellow-undertone which I find matches me perfectly....

This is the foundation...It's just amazing...
http://www.ybskin.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21_31&osCsid=32933953466a644cead672a4503492b2

That foundation looks class Alanna!! I get random urges to want a new foundation cus i kinda get bored with the same day in day out foundation routine. -_-
so id love to try that YB one. Or even Make up forever HD foundation ive heard good reviews about it!
...Oh and Chanel 'vitalumiere aqua' foundation has also got good reviews!

chanelaqua2.jpg

anyone can recommend an eyeliner (liquid or pencil) that doesn't smudge? i have tried bobbi brown, clinique before.

arklove, i'll definitely give YB a try. I have never heard of it before. I have oily and sensitive skin. (yuk!) It's so difficult to find a liquid foundation that doesn't turn my face into a grease pan. tried armani before. don't think it lives up to the hype. am using Estee Lauder's double matte. but, it doesn't look that natural...

one makeup product that i really like is Urban Decay's eye shadow primer. It does help my eyeshadown stay in put the whole day.

A good eyeliner that doesnt smudge...mmmm well the Urban Decay black eyeliner (pencil) is amazing goes on the waterline like a crayon...LITERALLY! but on me personally i find it smudges a wee slight bit...but the colour stays on the water line ALL DAY!

AAAAAu50igcAAAAAAOpHIw.jpg

And i soooo agree with ya...the Urban Decay Primer potions are amazing!
more recently ive been using the 'sin' primer as opposed to the original

primer.jpg

it gives a lovely base when blended in well...and plus the eyeshadow i apply over it stay put all day and night.

Back