Otis Williams Remembers Michael Jackson's Motown Years

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
I don't think this was posted before at all. Although this article was posted the day after Michael passed, I thought it was cute.

http://www.spinner.com/2009/06/26/otis-williams-remembers-michael-jacksons-motown-years/

otisw.jpg

Fans from different generations will all remember the King of Pop in their own way. For many, the Michael Jackson they remember best is the little boy who blew audiences away in the '70s as one of the lead singers of the Jackson 5. Fellow Motown legend Otis Williams of the Temptations told Spinner about the first time he met the talented youngster and his brothers.

"Michael was ... I mean, here's a little boy who could sing his little ass off," Williams recalls. "When he did one of Smokey [Robinson]'s songs, 'Who's Lovin' You?' ... at the end of it he would do this riff, and he did a riff that went off into a little minor bluesy kind of thing. I go, 'Now wait a minute, he's too young to be riffin' like that.'"

Williams also shared one of his fondest memories of the young Michael. In Chicago, the Temptations and the Jacksons had performed at Jesse Jackson's 'Operation Push' in Chicago. Later, the singers all had to pile into a U-Haul truck to escape an unruly mob of fans.

"I remember to this day, Michael said, 'Where's Otis? Where's Otis?' And somebody put the truck light on, and I said, 'I'm here, Michael. I'm right here.' And he looked up at me like a little boy and I never will forget that," Williams says. "It was so touching. He was so concerned, he wanted to know where I was. That high, squeaky voice going, 'Where's Otis? Where's Otis?' I love the Jacksons."

I can only call this man, Michael Jackson, and ANGEL!

I mean, even as a small tyke, he showed concern for others.

"Ain't nobody comin to see you Otis!"

Had to say that. Now that that's out the way:

The story was very cute. It made me smile.

Back