Taylor Swift sells over 20 million albums,Becomes Most digital Downloaded Artist in Music History

billyworld99

Proud Member
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PRyG1L4jwGo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PRyG1L4jwGo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Taylor Swift celebrated big at her sold-out show at London’s O2 Arena last night — the ‘Love Story’ superstar revealed that she has surpassed 20 million album sales.
This mark in Swift’s career is a notable one. The 20 million mark only represents full albums sold, including her self-titled record, ‘Fearless,’ ‘Speak Now,’ ‘The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection’ and ‘Beautiful Eyes.’ In reality, the singer has sold well over 30 million paid song downloads — making her the No. 1 artist in digital sales in the history of the music industry.

Execs with Big Machine Records and Universal Music International presented 21-year-old Swift with a special plaque backstage at yesterday evening’s show, honoring her big achievement, as pictured below.

Last night’s London show wrapped up the overseas leg of her 2011 Speak Now World Tour, but the pop-country icon recently added 16 dates to the North American leg, which kicks off May 27 and wraps up with back-to-back Madison Square Garden performances this November.

The four-time Grammy winner is up for the fan-voted Entertainer of the Year award at this year’s ACMs, which air this Sunday, April 3.
http://tasteofcountry.com/taylor-swift-20-million-albums-sold/

She's so beautiful. I love her, lol. I don't like her music, though. It's sold so well, I suspect, because most teenage girls can relate to it, and most parents like it. She's the only really "innocent" figure in the youth music industry today. You've got Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, etc. prancing around in slutty outfits all basically doing the same thing, but Taylor Swift is unique (among her contemporaries) in that she does not find the necessity to do any of those things, and writes songs which, although not truly something I relate to/like, are at least honest and meaningful to herself and to her fans. That's what sets her apart from the giant ball of shock-chicks, is that she's so authentic and so herself in everything she does--no acts, no gimmicks, no stupid personal life sh*t like drug use or racy pics, etc. She writes her own songs, plays the guitar, and has a very pretty and unique voice.

Moreover, she's so beautiful. She looks like a princess, and she's my muse, in a way, for one of my favourite characters to draw--Fleur-de-Lys from Notre-Dame de Paris. I did this one here, loosely based on Ms. Swift:

Fleur_De_Lys_by_iheartmichaeljackson.jpg

I basically combined her Fearless (I think?) album cover with her Love Story (the only song of hers I can really say I like, because of the Shakespearean theme) dress from the video, to make my Fleur-de-Lys. ? So, thanks, Taylor, for being beautiful, lol.

She's so beautiful. I love her, lol. I don't like her music, though. It's sold so well, I suspect, because most teenage girls can relate to it, and most parents like it. She's the only really "innocent" figure in the youth music industry today. You've got Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, etc. prancing around in slutty outfits all basically doing the same thing, but Taylor Swift is unique (among her contemporaries) in that she does not find the necessity to do any of those things, and writes songs which, although not truly something I relate to/like, are at least honest and meaningful to herself and to her fans. That's what sets her apart from the giant ball of shock-chicks, is that she's so authentic and so herself in everything she does--no acts, no gimmicks, no stupid personal life sh*t like drug use or racy pics, etc. She writes her own songs, plays the guitar, and has a very pretty and unique voice.

Moreover, she's so beautiful. She looks like a princess, and she's my muse, in a way, for one of my favourite characters to draw--Fleur-de-Lys from Notre-Dame de Paris. I did this one here, loosely based on Ms. Swift:

I basically combined her Fearless (I think?) album cover with her Love Story (the only song of hers I can really say I like, because of the Shakespearean theme) dress from the video, to make my Fleur-de-Lys. ? So, thanks, Taylor, for being beautiful, lol.

That drawing is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Gaga, Perry, or any other current artist will soon pass that by so it's really not a big deal.

^Ech, I hope not. You're probably right--they'll all keep stealing the "title" away from each other, but the only one in this slimy mainstream music business I can honestly say I like as a person is probably Taylor Swift. She's humble, she sings beautifully, she's not a slutty dresser like all the others, she's the only one I can honestly say is "different," in that respect. She's like this generation's Hilary Duff.

All the other girls are trying their best and hardest to "shock" people with really pointless videos, gimmicks, and lyrics (S&M, Alejandro, and Peacock come to mind) and I don't think anyone who isn't conservative would be shocked by any of that. It's truly trite and an exercise in redundancy, since the main 'shock' artists have already been here in the 80's and 90's. Anything past that time is just copying them, but of course people forget that.

Swift, on the other hand, has my admiration because she's not giving in to the tremendous pressure to be a sex object. She dresses the way she wants to, she makes sure her personal life is clean (unlike her peer Miley Cyrus), she writes her own songs which, albeit simple and not really reaching out to a wide audience, are personal and heartfelt, and one can hear it when she sings them. She's talented and she deserves to have this spot--I never thought I'd say some mainstream chick deserved to have something, since most of them are overhyped to death, but Swift has my respect because she has the courage to be herself in an industry full of fakes, wannabes, and slutty girls.

beautiful picture...and I agree with your post...she is very pure and I think she is a good influence on the teens of today. My daughter is 17 and we were goofing around yesterday she said..well I gave Taylor Swift the nick name of T-Swift and my friends looked at me and were like WHO it that..she was like..Hey you are not cool if you dont know who T-Swift is...:lmao:

The funny thing is that outside the US Taylor is almost unknown, and whats more important ... musically she is so unimportant that its like a miracle that she sells so many records, damn, I really domt understand that light pop-country music.
She is like Garth Brooks who has sold more albums in the USA than Elvis, but outside the USA he is totally unnown.

Once Shania Twain was the best seller (she has the best selling album of female artist/singer, afaik), and now she is out of interest of people and the last generation simply doesnt know who she is...

^Yeah, musically, she's obviously nothing special, but she's just so much better than any of her peers. At least she looks and sounds different. I don't even like the country music scene, nor pop music, but Swift has a nice amount of talent and a very simple, honest manner of being, which I personally find refreshing.

Yeah.. I don't like her music or her voice, but she is a girl that relies on her guitar and on the message in her lyrics, and I can admire that. Hopefully, she won't become the zombie most mainstream artists have become... Just had a look and listen at Katy Perry's latest single/video (since her name was inserted here)... and I couldn't believe what I saw. .. Perry actually has got a really strong voice, and now look what she's doing, how digitilized and depersonalized has become.. Like was the case with the fabulous Gabriella Cilmi, and some more...Again, hope this won't be the case with Swift too...

edit: that drawing is beautiful.

Last edited:
Are they talking about like itunes here? Not people actually buying the cds but downloaded it instead?

Yeah.. I don't like her music or her voice, but she is a girl that relies on her guitar and on the message in her lyrics, and I can admire that. Hopefully, she won't become the zombie most mainstream artists have become... Just had a look and listen at Katy Perry's latest single/video (since her name was inserted here)... and I couldn't believe what I saw. .. Perry actually has got a really strong voice, and now look what she's doing, how digitilized and depersonalized has become.. Like was the case with the fabulous Gabriella Cilmi, and some more...Again, hope this won't be the case with Swift too...

edit: that drawing is beautiful.

I agree. How one goes from this:

(Beautiful song with meaningful lyrics and a great video in which she looks fantastic!)

To...this:

(...)

...is completely beyond me. I hope Swift doesn't go down that path. It destroys people's voices. It works for very very few artists--that whole electro feel. Most are better off without it--Ke$ha, Gaga, Perry, Spears, Aguilera--definitely all sound waay better without the electro auto-tune scheisse. Swift's voice isn't a wonder, but it is pretty and natural:

I love the 18th century feel, even though the song is supposed to be based on Romeo & Juliet, which is definitely much earlier than that, but anyway. -sigh-

Moonwalker.Fan said:
The funny thing is that outside the US Taylor is almost unknown, and whats more important ... musically she is so unimportant that its like a miracle that she sells so many records, damn, I really domt understand that light pop-country music.

You could say the same about most mainstream artists today, though. Everyone knows their main market is the U.S. and maybe the UK and Australia as secondary choices. However, the U.S. is the main target audience, and the main target market for people like Swift, Cyrus, Gomez, Gaga, Perry, Ke$ha, et al, is teens and young adults, most of whom have no idea about music save what's being presented to them by the music channels/media. Therefore, it isn't at all a miracle that all of the above musicians have met with such enormous success in the U.S. despite their overall mediocre and musically irrelevant material. It's the appeal which drives these sales--that's why they're all so heavily marketed on the Internet and through media hype. If something gains mass notoriety, even if it absolutely sucks, impressionable people are bound to flock to it (they may want to dub this the "Rebecca Black effect" lol.) So, in short, it's not at all a miracle when you consider the target market for the mainstream music industry--children, teens, and young adults. In fact, it's quite the opposite--it's pretty expected.

Last edited:
Our future are those kids who buy this crap........

Our future does not look good!!!!!:no:

Our future are those kids who buy this crap........

Our future does not look good!!!!!:no:
All I know is when I have kids or when my little niece and nephew grow up, they'll be able to use my entire record collection to keep the spirit of rock and roll and good days of music alive. Who says kids can't grow up on Skid Row, Guns N Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, U2, the Stones, Suzi Quatro, Weird Al etc?

Anyway, I like Taylor Swift for what she stands for. I think her dad manages her, so he's gonna keep her in order. He's not gonna let his kid (hopefully) become a mainstream object, although I've always thought once you sign a major contract for one of the big record companies e.g. EMI, Sony, Universal etc - you're already 20% further to a quick career decline, and eventually, death.

Anyway, I like Taylor Swift for what she stands for. I think her dad manages her, so he's gonna keep her in order. He's not gonna let his kid (hopefully) become a mainstream object, although I've always thought once you sign a major contract for one of the big record companies e.g. EMI, Sony, Universal etc - you're already 20% further to a quick career decline, and eventually, death.

Yeah, hopefully she won't go down the route Miley Cyrus went. =/

You could say the same about most mainstream artists today, though. Everyone knows their main market is the U.S. and maybe the UK and Australia as secondary choices. However, the U.S. is the main target audience, and the main target market for people like Swift, Cyrus, Gomez, Gaga, Perry, Ke$ha, et al, is teens and young adults, most of whom have no idea about music save what's being presented to them by the music channels/media. Therefore, it isn't at all a miracle that all of the above musicians have met with such enormous success in the U.S. despite their overall mediocre and musically irrelevant material. It's the appeal which drives these sales--that's why they're all so heavily marketed on the Internet and through media hype. If something gains mass notoriety, even if it absolutely sucks, impressionable people are bound to flock to it (they may want to dub this the "Rebecca Black effect" lol.) So, in short, it's not at all a miracle when you consider the target market for the mainstream music industry--children, teens, and young adults. In fact, it's quite the opposite--it's pretty expected.

I have to completely agree with you.

fans of country music are loyal to their artists and actually buy their albums

Congrats to T Swift. She is a very hard working singer and very talented. She deserves this incredible achievement and there is no doubt in my mind about it.

Back