Michael Jackson #1 (Hollywood Tonight) on Billboard's Dance/Club Play Songs

CherubimII

Proud Member
The King reigns again.

Michael Jackson leads Billboard's Dance/Club Play Songs chart for the first time in almost 16 years, as "Hollywood Tonight," from his posthumous album "Michael," rises 2-1.

With the coronation, the late King of Pop collects his eighth solo No. 1 on the survey, tying him with Enrique Iglesias for most leaders among men in the chart's 35-year history. Prince follows with seven toppers.

Madonna leads all artists with 40 Dance/Club Play Songs No. 1s, followed by Jackson's sister Janet (19). Jackson, who passed away June 25, 2009, had last ruled with Janet when their duet "Scream" led the weeks of July 15 and 22, 1995.

(Iglesias had claimed a solo share for most Dance/Club Play Songs among solo males when "Tonight (I'm Lovin' You)," featuring Ludacris and DJ Frank E, topped the Feb. 5, 2011, tally. "I am such a big fan of both Prince and Jackson, and to be included in this elite group of artists is such an honor," Iglesias told Billboard at the time. "I've been reading Billboard since I was a child and I'm very proud to be part of music history").

Jackson's 15-year, 11-month break between No. 1s marks the chart's longest since Cyndi Lauper ended a 24-year, three-month gap between "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" (March 24, 1984) and "Same Ol' Story" (June 28, 2008). (Lauper didn't have to wait long for her next No. 1; "Into the Nightlife" followed "Story" to the summit the week of Aug. 30, 2008).

Here is a recap of Jackson's eight solo Dance/Club Play Songs No. 1s; he first dominated as a member of the Jacksons, with "Forever Came Today" (four weeks, 1975) and "Lovely One"/"Can You Feel It"/"Walk Right Now" (one week, 1980). (Previously, combinations of album cuts were eligible to chart as one entry).

Title, Date reached No. 1, Weeks at No. 1
"Thriller (all cuts)," Jan. 22, 1983, 11 weeks
"Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' (Too Good to Be True)" (Jermaine Jackson & Michael Jackson), June 9, 1984, three weeks
"Bad (Remix)," Nov. 7, 1987, two weeks
"The Way You Make Me Feel," Jan. 30, 1988, one week
"In the Closet," June 13, 1992, one week
"Who Is It," May 22, 1993, one week
"Scream" (Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson), July 15, 1995, two weeks
"Hollywood Tonight," June 11, 2011, one week (to-date)

http://www.billboard.com/column/cha...llywood-michael-jackson-tops-1005208332.story

Wow. I really didn't think Hollywood would hit number 1 in some way shape or form. This is great news. While it's not the Hot 100, it's a start.

Sony really needs to get the ball rolling and get the video to Behind The Mask out. I think that could do well with proper promotion..possibly a top ten or even a number 1 in it's own right.

Wow, this is great news... I think??

In the UK we have one chart that people have generally paid attention too... it's the official UK chart on radio 1.

I am aware that the billboard hot 100 is the US equivalent but can somebody explain what exactly is the dance/club play chart and how this might impact on sales of Michael and HT in the US.

Also, does anybody know of an official release date for the single??

It used to be so much easier when a single was physically released on a specific day and would chart the following week! I miss listening to the charts to see where MJ would end up!! x

MattyJam;3398371 said:
Is HT on the Hot 100 at all?

No, its not, thats why Billboard's Dance/Club Play Songs chart is so unimportant for anything..., If the song tops at least official Billboard´s TOP100, then it will mean somthing BIG for MJ.

Uh kewl I guess.. But has anyone actually heard this in a club....anywhere???

I actually heard it for the first time played at a wedding last week. But the DJ's system was so crappy, the song didn't sound really good. People danced to it though.

I'm a banquet server and most events with DJs, they're always playing the same exact songs. Whether it's a wedding or others. The maccarena, The Black Eyes peas many dance songs, that one song by Journey for some reason is being played all the time, etc. The MJ songs are ALWAYS; Don't Stop, Billie Jean or Thriller. I get soooo sick of hearing them. No matter if I go request something else, they always play the same ones.
I tear up though when I see people of all ages dancing the Thriller dance trying to do the moves.
hamster_dance.gif
hamster_dance.gif
hamster_dance.gif
hamster_dance.gif
hamster_dance.gif
hamster_dance.gif
hamster_dance.gif

The MJ songs are ALWAYS; Don't Stop, Billie Jean or Thriller. I get soooo sick of hearing them. No matter if I go request something else, they always play the same ones.

yeh i know what u mean, it gets annoying sometimes. I wish DJ's would play tracks from the dangerous album as imo they are some of the best work that mj done

Back