Bruno Mars talks about Michael :)

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
http://m.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/09/bruno-mars-complete-q-interview/

Q: You grew up performing songs by both Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson. From a musical perspective, what did you learn from each of them?

MARS: Really, it was just their command. The biggest thing is the command they both have on stage... how they can control the crowd and the band. I think there’s a performance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan (TV) show where he does ‘Hound Dog.’ At the end he slows it down, and — to me — it looked like an improv moment, not like something they rehearsed. It was like he (Presley) saw girls (in the audience) freaking out and said to himself: ‘Watch me slow it down — and then really go nuts.’ And he slows it down at the end and (then) starts his little dance, and he had them. The confidence Elvis and Michael exuded from stage, I’m a fan of.

Q: A little earlier in this interview, we discussed Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson, two bigger-than-life icons who both had very tragic endings. From a career perspective, do you look at their lives as cautionary tales?

MARS: Sure, sure. There will never be another Michael Jackson, a huge pop star since (the age of) 7. With my being from Hawaii and being very family oriented I don’t really have a fear of a tragic ending. I dont see any tragic ending for me.

Q: How big was it to you to win a Best Male Pop Vocal Grammy Award this year, especially being nominated in the same category that Michael Jackson won for back in the day?

MARS: I was nominated with Michael Jackson! He was nominated for ‘This Is It,’ the song that came out of the movie (of the same name. In a way, I owe it to him. I feel like, if it wasn’t for his music and my upbringing listening to him...I don't know what kid didn’t listen to him at my age. You aspire to be as great as he is as an artist. I don’t think any artist in pop, rock or hip-hop has ever done it any bigger than him. You know what I mean? He’s the man.

I saw Bruno Mars with Janelle Monae two days ago in SF. He really plays to the teenage girl audience. It was hard for me to get into. The only thing close to an MJ moment was when he *tried* doing the James Brown.

Janelle Monae, on the other hand, was amazing! She sang I Want You Back, did the moonwalk during one of her own songs, and then killed it with Smile. She is awesome and definitely inspired by MJ!

nice!! to bad those kind words werent around much in 05...
I like bruno mars though and his music :)

Always good to hear how MJ has influence and continues to have an impact on all these new artist he is truly the King Of Pop.

Back