Favourite mascara?

Roosje

Proud Member
I know this topic was already dicussed a bit in the former make-up and beauty thread, but I figured mascara is such a make-up essential that it deserves it's own thread. I haven't found my holy grail mascara yet but I really like:

cheap: Rimmel glameyes (for sublime separation and a natural look, easily to build up to more volume), MaxFactor 2000 Calories (volumous everyday look)
waterproof: Helena Rubinstein's Lash Queen Feline Blacks (my last holiday purchase, works great, although very natural result), YSL Everlong (used this one on my wedding, long lashes, great separation, but quite natural at the same time)
expensive: YSL Faux Cils (this is the best mascara by far, but it dries out in 3 weeks, so a waste of money basically. Still, I can't resist to buy it sometimes when it's on sale), DiorShow (very very nice volume, but a bit too clumpy for my taste).

I would love to use a mascara that is not tested on animals, but I hate Body Shop mascara's with a passion, some local shop's mascara (like Dutch HEMA) is ok though.

What are your favourites?

Hands down, CoverGirl...I've tried all sorts of other more expensive, fancy ones....I always, always go back to CoverGirl...No matter what I buy of theirs, my lashes are always full, thick, and long...And they cost next to nothing...:D

300.JPG

Aaah so many great sounding American brands are not or hardly available where I live, including Covergirl. Also the magic MAC and NARS are missing over here :(

Maybelline we do have, but that particular mascara I don't like so much, although it seperates the lashes very well. The waterproof version stinks especially, but most waterproof mascaras do somehow. One of my favourites Rimmel Glameyes performs really well, but the waterproof version is so bad I could just as well not wear mascara at all, it might look even better than with that crappy mascara. Strange...

I think mascara (and maybe concealer) is the most essential make-up product of all for me. I know a girl who wears eyeliner, lipgloss and whatnot but no mascara. She looks alright from afar, but upclose it just looks rather odd. Like she's very tired. She might be allergic or just not like mascara, so this is no criticism towards her, but it made me realise that mascara really opens up your glance and enhances the entire look of your face. What an impact a tiny bit of black tarish stuff has for a girl is amazing.

Lol, I almost never wear mascara. Only for special occasions, really. I wear lots of eyeliner, though, so I might look rather odd to you too, lol. =P

With that said, since it's not an essential for me, I just buy the cheap Maybelline stuff.

Do you use an eyelash curler? It can make a natural look instantly look better. If you go for cheap you really should check out that Rimmel mascara I'm raving about, GlamEyes. It has a really weird brush, looks cheap and plasticy, but it works wonders once you get the hang of it. It's a nice combination with eyeliner as the result is subltle and you can easily curl your lashes more sideways instead of upwards, if you know what I mean. To get that elegant eyeliner look of old movie stars. Now we're on the topic of eyeliner, which one do you use? I'm currrently using Revlon, but I'm still not really good at applying liquid liner, so often I just go for some good oldfashioned kohl.

Hands down, CoverGirl...I've tried all sorts of other more expensive, fancy ones....I always, always go back to CoverGirl...No matter what I buy of theirs, my lashes are always full, thick, and long...And they cost next to nothing...:D

:yes: They have a new one now, called Lash Perfection. I probably won't try it though. I've tried the Lash Exact and the one in the yellow tube, and they blew chunks. But the LashBlast is perfection for me.

Aaah so many great sounding American brands are not or hardly available where I live, including Covergirl. Also the magic MAC and NARS are missing over here :(

Maybelline we do have, but that particular mascara I don't like so much, although it seperates the lashes very well. The waterproof version stinks especially, but most waterproof mascaras do somehow. One of my favourites Rimmel Glameyes performs really well, but the waterproof version is so bad I could just as well not wear mascara at all, it might look even better than with that crappy mascara. Strange...

It seems that almost everybody loves this Maybelline mascara. I don't understand why at all. It was the first mascara I ever tried, and it left no impression on me whatsoever. My mom tried it not too long ago, and she said there was hardly anything in the tube at all, she had to keep re-applying it. Apparently some makeup artists love it for touching up clients during photoshoots.

I guess I'm going to have to check out this Rimmel mascara.

loreal-paris-voluminous-volume-b_1209753174_LRG.jpg

L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Mascara

maybelline-walgreens-mascara-volum-express-the-falsies-waterproof-mascara-very-black.jpg

The Falsies Volum' Express Waterproof Mascara

These are the two I always use. :)

:yes: They have a new one now, called Lash Perfection. I probably won't try it though. I've tried the Lash Exact and the one in the yellow tube, and they blew chunks. But the LashBlast is perfection for me.

QUOTE]

Yeah, LashBlast seems to be the one I like the most, too...I find the simpler it is, the better lol....I just bought LashBlast Fusion...It's for volume and length......it's a bit clumpy, but not hard to fix up...

http://www.covergirl.ca/en_ca/beauty_products/mascara/lashblast_fusion_mascara/

Their mascara is the only product I use of theirs...I can't stand their other makeup...

Last edited:
I don't use mascara every day (I wear eyeglasses so maybe I should) but when I do the one I've been using is Covergirl Lash Blast volume. It's pretty good. I don't think it's the perfect mascara...

I wouldn't mind trying one of the new mascaras with the fibers that cling to your lashes making you look like you're wearing false eyelashes.

Mascara is a tricky one. I'm yet to meet someone who uses one that they truly get on with. Everyone is always looking for a better one! I use L'ancome Hypnose which is one of the better ones I've tried to be fair. But it's far from perfect!

I always find that cheaper mascaras work better than more expensive ones.
Currently my favourite one is by Miss Sporty
This is it here:

miss-sporty.jpg

Its just really great, and sooo cheap too.. like £4!

Ive also gotten back into using LOreal Volume Million Lashes mascara, I normally hate a plastic wand and opt more for a fibre wand, but its pretty good.

StaceyMJ;3413792 said:
Mascara is a tricky one. I'm yet to meet someone who uses one that they truly get on with. Everyone is always looking for a better one! I use L'ancome Hypnose which is one of the better ones I've tried to be fair. But it's far from perfect!

Mascara is definitely one of the trickiest products out there and is a bitch to find your holy grail. I don't think I'll ever find my HG mascara.

Alyssa;3415454 said:
I always find that cheaper mascaras work better than more expensive ones.
Currently my favourite one is by Miss Sporty
This is it here:

miss-sporty.jpg

Its just really great, and sooo cheap too.. like £4!

Ive also gotten back into using LOreal Volume Million Lashes mascara, I normally hate a plastic wand and opt more for a fibre wand, but its pretty good.

Yep, I agree with you. That's why I don't even bother with expensive mascaras anymore, unless I get a deluxe sample and it turns out I'm absolutely in love with it (yeah right). I think that's because expensive brands try to get too fancy and gimmicky. With mascara you just need a simple formula that works.

Right now I like Cover Girl Lash Blast and Maybelline Volume Express One-by-One.

Do you use an eyelash curler? It can make a natural look instantly look better. If you go for cheap you really should check out that Rimmel mascara I'm raving about, GlamEyes. It has a really weird brush, looks cheap and plasticy, but it works wonders once you get the hang of it. It's a nice combination with eyeliner as the result is subltle and you can easily curl your lashes more sideways instead of upwards, if you know what I mean. To get that elegant eyeliner look of old movie stars. Now we're on the topic of eyeliner, which one do you use? I'm currrently using Revlon, but I'm still not really good at applying liquid liner, so often I just go for some good oldfashioned kohl.

No, my eyelashes are naturally curly, so I don't really need one. I use a cheap eyeliner from Hot Topic.

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Accessories/Cosmetics/Eyes/Black-Lip-And-Eye-Pencil-228787.jsp

At the moment I'm trying False Lase Effect Fusion by Max Factor. It's great when you put it on but you do have to put another coat on later in the day, which you don't want when you have paid £12 for it. Mascara is a difficult one, no one is ever satisfied with it.

I know I'm not lol. And I so miss Max Factor. They had some good products. Can't get it anymore in the US :(

Any mascara that I use pretty much makes me look weird because I don't have very dark eyebrows. The one mascara that I have always loved, but wasn't popular enough to not be discontinued, was Neutrogena Weightless Volume Mascara. While it didn't generate enough sales (I assume so), this was the one and only perfect mascara for me because it gave me a very, very natural look but defined my eyelashes in such a way that the eyelashes had a healthy, natural looking shape and a hint of color. Now it's gone. I'm so bummed.

I've been using CoverGirl clear mascara right now to give my eyelashes some definition and conditioning. But does anyone know of any mascara that is like the one that was discontinued? I can't find a single one like that - that was the best one for me. :(

if I didn't think I looked like a spider in mascara I'd go for any of the CoverGirl mascaras. They are the bomb otherwise. to this day I still feel that their Super Thick Lash is tops in terms of how they expand one's lashes:) too bad I look too dramatic in it.

Loreal Voluminous is also great for volume but it smears against the eyelids more easily as the day goes on, but CG ones never did, when I tried theirs.

Maybelline mascaras (let alone their products) never impressed me very much. That's just me. I highly disagree that their Great Lash is the #1 mascara (from what I remember). That mascara is HORRIBLE...I am not getting the hype behind it whatsoever. Maybe Mikage Souji has a secret as to how she puts it on. LOL

Last edited:
I Don't wear much makeup anymore but my dream mascara defines and lengthen lashes, with out making them look like spider legs but more like false lashes

I LOVE Maybelline's The Collosal Volume Express. It does what I've always wanted in a mascara. lol

I'm a guy, but my girlfriend tells me I have eyebrows that look like I wear mascara. *eyes twinkle*

I liked extension eyelashes but it is a little bit expensive :(

Revlon-Grow luscious and the Dior one.

Totes agree, the Revlon Grow Luscious is absolutely unreal!!! Love it.
Also a few months back i bought a Chanel Lippy and got a sample of the Chanel Inimitable Mascara and freaking LOVED it, so i vowed id purchase a full size! and thank God I did! Its class!! Great for lengthening and doesn't clump! It, revlon grow luscious and Maybeliene the falsies are hands down my faves!!

images

Seriously reccommend that Chanel one!

DON'T RECOMMEND... BENEFIT THEYRE REAL! After so much hype about it i caved in and bought it last week and HATE IT! It doesnt do much to my lashes and i notice after about 1/2 hours... up on my browbone is all black smudges from the mascara!

Back