Former Child Star Stacy Lattisaw Talks About Michael

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
Info on Stacy for those who don't know her:
Back in the 1980’s, before there was even such a thing as a teenage singing star, Stacy Lattisaw emerged out of Washington, D.C. and into the hearts of music fans.

Barely in her teens, Lattisaw’s gorgeous soprano graced hits like “Jump To the Beat,” “Dynamite,” and “Let Me Be Your Angel.” Lattisaw’s voice and demeanor conjured up teenage innocence, something that now seems lost amidst the group of sexed-up singers with half her vocal talents.

Unfortunately for her fans, Lattisaw was painfully shy, even when her musical career was thriving, and by her early 20’s, she was ready to move on.

lattisaw.JPG

Stacy Lattisaw Next to Get 'UnSung' Treatment
What was the best thing about being a star so young?

The highlight of my career was touring with Michael Jackson in 1981. It was a great opportunity for me to be the opening act. Those were the fun times for me.....

You mention touring with Michael Jackson as a highlight of your career. How did you feel when he died so unexpectedly?

I was devastated like everyone else. It was so sudden and unbelievable. I was never as big as Michael Jackson, but I was a child star, so I can relate to that stress he was under. You have to come out of school and be tutored, and you can’t play with your friends because you have to be on the road. I never went to my high school prom. I never went to the high school games. Sometimes when I take my son, I tear up because I missed all that, and once you’re an adult, you can’t go back. I reached out to Jermaine and I sent him a message. All you could do is offer prayer and condolences. It was like a bad dream.

What is your favorite memory of Michael?

I was 15 when I toured with him, and my brother and I would go to the show after I performed. We would go backstage, and we would talk to him. He was quite shy, and I was extremely shy, too! When I turned 16, he called me and wished me a happy birthday. When he called me, he had this soft voice, and he said, ‘Hello, this is Michael,’ and I said, ‘Who?’ and I just dropped the phone and yelled. That was so kind of him to remember, and I’ll never forget that. That was phenomenal to me. Michael Jackson was the ultimate superstar. To be able to tour with him and talk to him ... he was a phenomenal person. Of course, he was one of the greatest entertainers of all time, but the person, Michael Jackson, was great.

Last edited:
That was so sweet of Michael to remember and call her up on her birthday. Michael always remembered little things like that. Ryan White's mom said he would call and wish her on Mother's day. Bless you Michael :)

I absolutely love Stacy's voice. I remember my sisters and I would sing her songs when we were younger. She seems very sweet and grounded. It is a shame her type of talent has been overlooked in favor of a sexed up marketing product. I recently added some of her music to my ipod when I was reminded about her in Unsung. Hearing her voice again was like hearing an old friend after a long time, familiar and close. She spoke about MJ in that episode as well briefly.

I'm glad that at the end of the day she is happy and happy with her life. :)

Last edited:
Michael Jackson was the ultimate superstar. To be able to tour with him and talk to him ... he was a phenomenal person. Of course, he was one of the greatest entertainers of all time, but the person, Michael Jackson, was great.

That was wonderfully said. Thanks for sharing this interview.

I absolutely love Stacy's voice. I remember my sisters and I would sing her songs when we were younger. She seems very sweet and grounded. It is a shame her type of talent has been overlooked in favor of a sexed up marketing product. I recently added some of her music to my ipod when I was reminded about her in Unsung. Hearing her voice again was like hearing an old friend after a long time, familiar and close. She spoke about MJ in that episode as well briefly.

I'm glad that at the end of the day she is happy and happy with her life. :)
thank you ginvid...I could not of said it better myself. I too was a Stacy fan...:)

nice words from Stacy! I used to love her and Johnny Gill when they sang together.

I love these beautiful memories. We would all be screaming too. I wonder if he called back after she hung up the phone?

Michael Jackson was the ultimate superstar. To be able to tour with him and talk to him ... he was a phenomenal person. Of course, he was one of the greatest entertainers of all time, but the person, Michael Jackson, was great.

That last line.....always nice to hear people highlight that point.

Oh sure, I remember Stacy Lattisaw had some major hits (another one not mentioned here was a cover of "Love On a Two Way Street"). She has a beautiful voice. Didn't know she toured with MJ. Thanks for sharing.

^ :lol: I bet it was like that.

Yes! :lol:

:lol: I think everybody would be like this...:D

:lol:

In my case, if it were me, obviously I would have fainted :doh: and Michael in phone: "Ash? Are you there? Are you ok? Why do not you answer?" :unsure: .......... *Complete silence on the other side of the line.* :eek: :fear:

:lol:

Thanks for sharing. For those of you who have never heard Stacey Lattisaw sing, click on the link below.
I will dedicate this song to Michael Jackson: "Let Me Be Your Angel". Thanks, Stacy. :cheeky:

Oh, how sweet! Brought a tear to my eye. It's so lovely hearing kind words about Michael. I love the last thing she said. That is so very true! :heart: It was so sweet of him to remember her birthday and call her!

Aw how lovely! Michael was just...unbelievable. So thoughtful, and kind, and he probably never really knew how good he made people feel. Amazing. :wub:

Recent interview:

http://www.dcspotlight.com/features...isaw-before-there-was-brandy-there-was-stacy/
In 1981, Lattisaw was the opening act for the Jacksons on the Jacksons Triumph Tour. By that time, the Jacksons had become a platinum-selling recording group and Lattisaw jumped at the opportunity to sing with the group, though, she had reserves at first.

“I was 15 when [the Jacksons’] management called my manager and I said no,” Lattisaw remembered. “At 15 you’re not thinking about going on the road. You just want to stay home and play with your friends. I just wanted to be a normal child.” Lattisaw, with pressure from her parents, eventually did say yes and went on the road for 13 weeks with the Jacksons. She toured 38 states and every night would spend the evening talking with fellow child star Michael Jackson in his dressing room. He would be someone that Lattisaw finally could relate to.

“Most [of what people] see [is] the glamour and glitz of it, but I had so many things I dealt with,” Lattisaw said about her career. “[Michael Jackson] would pretty much have to disguise himself when he went out. He had to come out of school at an early age.” Lattisaw remembered. “People don’t really understand the type of pressure and stress that you are put under at that young age.”

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. For those of you who have never heard Stacey Lattisaw sing, click on the link below.
I will dedicate this song to Michael Jackson: "Let Me Be Your Angel". Thanks, Stacy. :cheeky:

She sings a lot like little Michael. :)

new interview with Funknstuff (December 2023)
Stacy talks about the Triumph Tour at 9:20 & 30:45 of the 1st video & 8:15 of the 2nd

Back