Baths?

Severus Snape

Proud Member
Since this is the fashion and beauty thread, I figured it'd be the proper place to discuss baths and why we love them. I, for one, absolutely adore baths. They're slow, relaxing, and aromatic. It's such a shame I can't take baths very often--I'm forced to predominantly take showers due to my busy schedule during the school year (and the fact that the campus has no bathtubs).

I love lavender bath salts, and bubble bath soap. I took an indulgent bath today, and it was amazing. Ideally, I like to have candles about the place also, but since I still live with my mother, there's no chance of that.

So...who else loves baths? =)

I haven't had a bath since I was like 12 :( (OK, that sounded so wrong, I do SHOWER :lol: ) We have terrible awful disgusting well water and it makes our tub all gross. Cleaning it on a regular basis is absolutely back-breaking it gets so bad so quickly. Makes me sick just standing in it let alone sitting in it :mello: I wish we had city water so I could have one of those wonderful jacuzzi tubs. I'd give anything to have a nice relaxing bath.

Well, I have suburb water. I don't live in the city. :p

But, yeah, I can see how well water would make taking a long bath look like a bad idea. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I love baths! I have a bath every evening! I have a shower installed but I never use it, I always have a bath in the evening and a basin/sink wash in the morning. When I'm staying somewhere else I detest having to use a shower and not have my usual bath lol.

I've been trying all the different Radox bath liquids for a long period of time now and can't settle for a favourite so just get a different one each time. I had a friend who was very into aromatherapy and she used to give me little bottles of special blends for set ailments to put in the bath. I can't say for sure whether they cured my ailments or whether it was more a psychological thing, but it felt like they did a good job. Sadly she's moved away now so haven't had them for a while.

I'm a shower person. Baths can be fun too :) I haven't had one in years. Don't worry I do shower everyday :D

I do love baths! I'm the same as u, Marquis - candles, lavender, etc...I especially love taking baths in the wintertime on a really cold day...it's so comforting and warming...I also love taking baths when I'm sick....I use a peppermint menthol type of bath salts and they're fantastic! :D

Last edited:
I do love aromatheraphy! I dunno whether or not it has any merit to it (my guess is that it's nothing more than a placebo effect), however, if it works, don't question it. :p

That's really my philosophy regarding life--if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

I ran into some guy at a health fair we had at school last year, and he gave me some samples of oils and stuff. They do work, I think. None of them were bath oils, sadly. I'm sure, browsing around the Internet, one could find aromatheraphy bath oils.

@Spoonie: You're so lucky you can take baths every night! ;____;

I don't know, I just prefer showers. I just like to get in and out quickly. I'm not a water person. My sister loves long, leisurely bubble baths. I remember using Mr. Bubble when I took bubble baths as a kid.

images

I take baths too, I love soaking in warm water. I have a shower thing installed but it has never worked right. I tend to take showers when I'm traveling though. Might sound crazy, I know. lol

After a horrible day, I like to take a bath. But mostly I just take quick showers 'cos I'm busy and trying to save water... but baths can be so relaxing?

^Actually, it's all dependent upon each individual showeree whether or not a bath or a shower would save more water. It's not a given that taking baths is more wasteful than taking showers.

livestrong.com said:
A standard bathtub can hold up to 70 gallons of water, and it often is used by only one person at a time. A shower uses considerably less water, especially if you limit your showers to 5 minutes. The EPA estimates that a 5-minute shower requires 10 to 25 gallons of water, depending on your shower head and the water pressure.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/125512-reduce-waste-water/#ixzz1TAH2JrFf

There are several issues with this statement. 1) The EPA is taking the measure of a bathtub's maximum capacity, in other words, the amount of water it could hold until its limit breaks. Placing a body of mass in the bathtub after that point would cause the water to rise above its containment limit, as the original measurement of full capacity only works when no other mass is present in the bathtub. How many people fill a whole bathtub when taking a bath and plop themselves in, causing the water to disperse and soak the entire bathroom floor? Not many (not any, I'm hoping, but with people one never knows...). 2) It is not taking into account individual bathtub water level preference, or time taken to bathe as opposed to shower. I, for example, only fill my tub halfway when taking a bath, and my baths last from 45 minutes to 1 hours and 25 mins. My showers, on the other hand, take 30 to 45 minutes. If I only fill my bathtub halfway, I would be taking an hour-long bath and only using 35 gallons of water. Were I to shower instead, I would be using, say, 15-20 gallons of water every 5 minutes (I have an older shower head, so it's not equipped for water conservation). Since my showers take a minimum of 30 minutes, at a rate of 15 gallons every 5 minutes, I would have wasted 90 gallons of water (15x6). Even if I were to cut that time in more than half, say--taking a 10 or 15 minute shower-- the rate of water wasted for 10 mins. would be (15x2-20x2= 30-40 gallons), and for 15 mins. (15x3-20x3=45-60 gallons). In either of these adjusted instances, the shower takes up more water than the bath, and lasts less time.

Extraneous, but interesting: aren't both baths and showers typically used by one person at a time? The EPA is really idiotic, lol--nice try at manipulation, but no cigar.

The only way one could waste less water in taking a shower as opposed to a bath is by restricting shower time to way under 10 minutes, as close to five minutes or under. I don't know anyone who takes a good, hygenic shower in less than ten minutes, so a five minute shower really sounds ridiculous to me. It takes five minutes just to get my thick, curly hair wet enough for the shampoo to work. :p Therefore, if I were to limit my showers to five minutes, I wouldn't even be taking a real shower. I'd just be wetting my hair, that's it.

So, really, there are compelling arguments for or against showers and baths, but the advantage of one over the other really depends upon individual factors.

Yeah who are these people who can take 5 minute showers? Takes me 5 minutes just to wash the hair. I need 15-20 minutes at the least in total heh.

I love love baths :wub:

My favourite past time.. It's nice to be alone and relax and just think about life :) It's my 'me' time.

I'm not a genetic girl but hopefully can post in here..

I love love baths :wub:

My favourite past time.. It's nice to be alone and relax and just think about life :) It's my 'me' time.

I'm not a genetic girl but hopefully can post in here..

Anybody can take baths, lol. Besides, if you feel like a girl, you are a girl to me.

@ suzynyc: I would guess people with shorter hair who forego conditioner could take five minute baths, but it usually takes about five minutes for the water to get lukewarm, so, yeah. 5 min. showers are an unrealistic idea for most.

^Actually, it's all dependent upon each individual showeree whether or not a bath or a shower would save more water. It's not a given that taking baths is more wasteful than taking showers.

There are several issues with this statement. 1) The EPA is taking the measure of a bathtub's maximum capacity, in other words, the amount of water it could hold until its limit breaks. Placing a body of mass in the bathtub after that point would cause the water to rise above its containment limit, as the original measurement of full capacity only works when no other mass is present in the bathtub. How many people fill a whole bathtub when taking a bath and plop themselves in, causing the water to disperse and soak the entire bathroom floor? Not many (not any, I'm hoping, but with people one never knows...). 2) It is not taking into account individual bathtub water level preference, or time taken to bathe as opposed to shower. I, for example, only fill my tub halfway when taking a bath, and my baths last from 45 minutes to 1 hours and 25 mins. My showers, on the other hand, take 30 to 45 minutes. If I only fill my bathtub halfway, I would be taking an hour-long bath and only using 35 gallons of water. Were I to shower instead, I would be using, say, 15-20 gallons of water every 5 minutes (I have an older shower head, so it's not equipped for water conservation). Since my showers take a minimum of 30 minutes, at a rate of 15 gallons every 5 minutes, I would have wasted 90 gallons of water (15x6). Even if I were to cut that time in more than half, say--taking a 10 or 15 minute shower-- the rate of water wasted for 10 mins. would be (15x2-20x2= 30-40 gallons), and for 15 mins. (15x3-20x3=45-60 gallons). In either of these adjusted instances, the shower takes up more water than the bath, and lasts less time.

Extraneous, but interesting: aren't both baths and showers typically used by one person at a time? The EPA is really idiotic, lol--nice try at manipulation, but no cigar.

The only way one could waste less water in taking a shower as opposed to a bath is by restricting shower time to way under 10 minutes, as close to five minutes or under. I don't know anyone who takes a good, hygenic shower in less than ten minutes, so a five minute shower really sounds ridiculous to me. It takes five minutes just to get my thick, curly hair wet enough for the shampoo to work. :p Therefore, if I were to limit my showers to five minutes, I wouldn't even be taking a real shower. I'd just be wetting my hair, that's it.

So, really, there are compelling arguments for or against showers and baths, but the advantage of one over the other really depends upon individual factors.

:hysterical: this put me in a GOOD mood... Thanks for cheering me up, Sev... Where are you, I miss ye :blush:

Anyway, I :heart: baths...
I love the HOT water... the way your 'muscles' relax... the 'foam' ... I love to listen to Michael (music) when I'm in the tub... I spend almost an hour :tease:in the bathtub just soaking or 'dancing' in it...

I hate showers maybe cause I fell once and had lovely 'bruises' to show off the whole week...

^Me too but I could never imagine bathing to MJ music. o_o Perhaps only ballads, but even that's kind of odd in my book. I like bathing to instrumental arrangements, so vocals are kinda not relaxing to me at all, even slow ones. I put on new age music usually when I take long, hot baths.

Almost an hour? I could be in the bathtub nearly two hours at any given time lol. And I haven't been around I reckon cuz there's not much to talk about as of late.

Especially in winter...I love to take a bath :) In Japan ..there are many hot springs and I love to go there. To take a bath is so relaxing. I love to use bathing powder when I take a bath.

me too.
I love to take a bath.
I like a hot spring.
????-ONSEN?is?so?Good?

I love to take in a hot spring..I have not been to GERO-Onsen..I wanna visit there one day!

I have no young child so I can not take a bath slowly.
Sleeping the child, I feel like I can hear a child's crying while I take a bath, so I can not relax. XD

I enjoy baths but do not take them often! very very seldom

Back