Liza Minnelli talks about the Michael she knew (in new interview)

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
Liza Minelli recently did an interview with Daily Mail and talked about the Mchael she knew. She also said some nice words about Elizabeth Taylor.

Liza Minnelli: Michael Jackson's love life, X-rated Lady Gaga and David Gest | Mail Online
And she knows absolutely everyone. When she married music producer David Gest in London in 2002 (more of him in a moment), she was attended by Michael Jackson, Elizabeth Taylor and — bizarrely — Martine McCutcheon. Sadly, the first two are now dead. ‘But there’s not a day,’ she says, ‘when I don’t think of Michael.’

She refuses to be drawn on the upcoming trial for involuntary manslaughter of Jackson’s doctor, Conrad Murray. But she’s happy to recollect the Michael she knew.

‘He was a supremely gifted human being but he didn’t survive, in my opinion, because he’d never been taught the rules of the game,’ says Liza. ‘He and his brothers and sisters were forced to rehearse round the clock while other kids were playing basketball.

‘Michael’s life was precisely the one dictated by his father. The family’s religion [the parents are Jehovah’s Witnesses] means the children weren’t even meant to be in show business. But, when they started making money for their father, that was it. Michael was used and abused almost from the time he was born.

‘Eventually, he distanced himself from his family, created this wonderful place — Neverland — for kids and supported different families. Then, one day, the father in one of those families called up Michael and said, “Unless you give me $30,000, I’m going to tell everyone you made a pass at my son.” And that’s when Michael called me.

'Michal Jackson was a supremely gifted human being, but he didn't survive because he'd never been taught the rules of the game'

‘When he’d finished his story, I remember pausing and then saying: “Michael, maybe you should tell your lawyer about this.” He said: “But it’s insane.” So I repeated my advice. “It’s blackmail, though,” he said. “It is,” I replied, “and that’s why you need to involve your lawyer.” But he wouldn’t.

‘What everyone forgets is that, when kids stayed at Neverland, their parents came, too. And they were treated grandly. But then other people jumped on the bandwagon.’

She sighs. ‘I remember he was going with this girl and he was so in love with her. He came to show me the ring he’d bought for her. I asked him what he was going to say and he didn’t know. So I said: “Let’s rehearse,” and that’s what we did.

‘But the girl turned him down. She said she wasn’t ready to commit right now. She told him to ask again in six months. And it all but killed him. He was heartbroken. I knew all his girlfriends including Lisa Marie who became his wife.’

Liza thinks she knows what killed her friend. ‘In the end, the scorn, the cruelty, the vicious meanness — these are the things that took his life. He was one of the best performers we’ve ever had. He changed everything. But he was only a king when he was on stage.’

About Liz:
On the other hand, Elizabeth Taylor — like Liza — was a survivor. ‘Elizabeth was just a regular girl. The glitter and the glamour and the gutter [as she witheringly dismisses it] were all in the photographs and the way stars like her were presented. The reality was that she was part of an era when movie stars were working actors. She went to the studio. She did her job.’

Taylor’s no-nonsense approach to life is nowhere better illustrated than in this nugget of wisdom she passed on to Liza. ‘I remember calling her one day. I was crying about something awful someone had said about me in the press. There was a pause. “You read that stuff?” she said. She told me she never read a single thing about herself so I stopped, too, there and then, which meant there was never anything lousy going round and round in my brain. I thought that was good advice.’

7923715_orig.jpg

Last edited:
‘I remember he was going with this girl and he was so in love with her. He came to show me the ring he’d bought for her. I asked him what he was going to say and he didn’t know. So I said: “Let’s rehearse,” and that’s what we did.

‘But the girl turned him down. She said she wasn’t ready to commit right now. She told him to ask again in six months. And it all but killed him. He was heartbroken. I knew all his girlfriends including Lisa Marie who became his wife.’

Poor baby. :(

Liza thinks she knows what killed her friend. ‘In the end, the scorn, the cruelty, the vicious meanness — these are the things that took his life. He was one of the best performers we’ve ever had. He changed everything. But he was only a king when he was on stage.’

That is true.

The media, press and soo many people were so mean to him even though he only ever wanted to spread joy and love! - Soo unfair. MJ was to good at heart to this world!

I like how she spoke about Michael in this interview without revealing too much of his private life. And she is spot on about what killed him and the media.

She's also right about Michael being used and abused from the day he was born, hell even today AFTER DEATH the same people who used and abused him when he was born still continue to do so shamelessly!

Last edited:
Thats how u talk about your friend and you can feel she really understand him, show us why michael loved to be with them and distanced the others.

I also like the fact she tells it like it is: "Michael was used and abused almost from the time he was born."

That is true.

The media, press and soo many people were so mean to him even though he only ever wanted to spread joy and love! - Soo unfair. MJ was to good at heart to this world!

This is the sad reality of fame in today's world, especially in Los Angeles - most of the big stars we've lost over the years have been killed by exactly this - the media, the press, the cruelty of the world.

Last edited:
I blame the media for what happened to Michael too. They tried to destroy him and they wouldn't leave him alone.

Michael actually proposed to another girl? And she declined?? How is that possible.

She got everything right and could not have phrased it better. He was something truly out of this world, in such a good way, but so misused and exploited by those who surrounded him. I'm glad he was at least able to meet good people like Liza along the way. She truly loved him, you can tell, and so did Liz Taylor. I know he knew, but I'm so glad to know too. Thank you, Liza. Your words are so healing to us, especially during these difficult times.

I don't know what timeframe Liza was talking about when MJ proposed to someone. I do know that he proposed to Brooke Shields twice but she did not accept....They dated even in 1993...the awards ceremony. Maybe he also proposed to someone else though too.

I don't think it's Brooke. If it was, Liza would have said since the public knows of their relationship.

but did the public know that MJ purposed to her? I feel like only the fans knows this part since the media keep wanting people to believe MJ was gay or others. beside, Brooke also kept denying the whole relationship thing. she kept saying they were just friend and it was misunderstood by the public. She said the ring MJ gave to her is "friendship ring". Maybe that's why Liza won't say it directly.

I asked Liza on Twitter if really was Brooke Shields and her reply:

liza_withaz

No, it wasn't Brooke Shields. I don't feel at liberty to divulge the identity of the girl, but no, it wasn't even anyone famous.

As this girl was able to say NO to Michael? :crazy: :wtf: :sigh: A man sooooooooooo wonderful... :girl_sigh: :wub:

Like Mike said, don't believe everything you read. What I will believe is what came out of his mouth. In an interview sometime in the early 80s, he said he wanted to marry Diana Ross and move to Switzerland. Of course I'm not privy to what he told Liza, so at this point, I'm just, well, confused. Which I have been ever since I started researching Mike.

I asked Liza on Twitter if really was Brooke Shields and her reply:
Not surprised that it wasn't Brooke. Michael himself said that there were women in his life that were not known by the public in Moonwalk. Apparantly this woman was one of them.

Last edited:
“There have been A LOT of wonderful women in my life, women whose names wouldn’t mean anything to the readers of this book, and it would be unfair to discuss them because they are not celebrities and are unaccustomed to having their names in print. I value my privacy and therefore I respect theirs as well”.

Moonwalker, 1987

:D

haha yes, I am sometimes amazed how he could still kept so many secrete and protects those women with so many paparazzi basically followed him everywhere anytime. MJ is the man. But it's still nice to know that he had fall in love with someone wanted to marry her. Even she broke his heart but I believe that did had some wonderful time together.

lucilla;3499015 said:
“There have been A LOT of wonderful women in my life, women whose names wouldn’t mean anything to the readers of this book, and it would be unfair to discuss them because they are not celebrities and are unaccustomed to having their names in print. I value my privacy and therefore I respect theirs as well”.

Moonwalker, 1987

:D

Yes Michael... and what was the end of it all? :cry:

Back