21 Years Ago ~ The Michael Jackson Auditorium Inauguration - October 11, 1989 - Videos + Photos

MJ TinkerBell

Proud Member
Where Michael IS..Is where you will find Me <3
Country
Canada
On October 11th, 1989Michael Jackson Goes Back To School !

tumblr_kwq907aVrH1qatspzo1_500.jpg

Michael goes back to school when he visits Room 8 at the Gardner Street Elementary School in Hollywood, Los Angeles, where he attended sixth grade as a child. The school’s auditorium had been recently refurbished to dedicate in his honor, renaming it ‘The Michael Jackson Auditorium’. Michael’s former 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Gerstin, and Mrs. Rose Fine, his tutor when he was on the road with the Jackson 5, both attended the dedication.
Michael Jackson’s homecoming excited Gardner Street Elementary School pupils, who watched as the pop music superstar helped dedicate a remodeled auditorium named in his honor, symbol of then renamed Gardner Street Elementary School from Los Angeles, California.
Dressed in leather black pants and a red shirt covered in zippers, studs & buckles, and long black fingerless gloves arrived at the school Wednesday to students’ squeals of “Michael! Michael!” and was guided into the building by police officers.

mjback2school.jpg

After several speeches by the school superintendent, PTA representatives, teachers, pupils and parents, Michael’s former 6th grade teacher Laura Gerstin introduced Michael and presented him with “Michael Jackson Auditorium” plate – commemorative plaque:

The Plaque Reads:

“It’s an honor to present this plaque to you on behalf of the parents and faculty, past and present, of Gardner School as a token of our respect and our love for you not only as a performer, but as a fine human being.”
Michael spoke briefly as always, and has this to say on being honored:“First of all I’d like to thank my teacher, Mrs. Gerstin, Mrs. Rose Fine, she’s another one of my teachers, she’s here also and I’d like to thank her. I am deeply touched and honored that the PTA, principal and faculty members, and students have been so kind as to dedicate the Auditorium, where I sat as a child, in my honor.
We must never forget that the children are our future, and without them mankind would become extinct. I thank Mrs. Gerstin, I love you, and Ms. Rose Fine (the Jackson 5&#8242;s former tutor), I love you, and the Garden Street School associates and all the children. I love you. Thank you.”

MJ-michael-jackson-19322649-500-353.jpg

Following the presentation of the plaque, a very happy student presented Michael with a key to the school. Michael then joined the choir in singing “We Are The World.”

Michael-Jackson-23485157925.jpeg

A small crowd then moved outside as Michael unveiled the new letters on the face of the building identifying it as the Michael Jackson Auditorium.
Following the unveiling, Michael was given a tour of his former school.

wrcolf_b.jpg

He visited his old classroom and autographed the wall with a marker, “Michael Jackson Love the Children”. Epic official Lary Stesselm, Bob Jones and Bill Bray accompanied Michael.

love+the+children+bo

Janique Hennessee, 11, said she was so excited to see Michael that she started crying, but Michael came up to her and dried her tears.

This is Michael Jackson’s Class Photo Back in 1970

5251011.jpg

Michael attends Gardner St. School as a 6th-grader from 1969 to 1970 (6 months) after the 11-year old singer and his four brothers first moved to California from their hometown of Gary, Indiana to begin their new lives as performers. At the time, the Jackson 5, who had recently been signed to the Motown record label, were on the cusp of super stardom. Young Michael goes to school during the day while recorded songs & performed with the Jackson 5 at night.
But, in January of 1970, after the Jackson 5 skyrocketed to fame, their single “I Want You Back” hit #1, and Michael’s popularity made it so that he could no longer be a part of a normal school environment; with fans waiting for him outside or barge into the classroom, it became necessary to arrange for private tutoring. He withdrew from Gardner St. and from that point forward was home schooled by a private tutor named Rose Fine.

The Youtube Video by Larry Nimmer of this event with Michael Jackson at Gardner St. School for Auditorium Dedication
[YOUTUBE]3YfOdQW0Dxc[/YOUTUBE]

This is the speech Michael made at this event at the Gardener St Elementary School -
This video was Posted by the little boy that actually gave Michael the Key to the Gardener St Elementary School at this event:
[YOUTUBE]4ap-pZkeQ88[/YOUTUBE]

67684_490601311351_715291351_7527247_3359264_n.jpg

On June 25, 2011 at 4 pm Gardner St. Elementary School will host the “A Celebration of M.J.J’s Life” event. Special guest appearances are Tom Mesereau, William Wagner, Geraldine Hughes, and Larry Nimmer ! Earlier this year the Michael Jackson Fans all over the world and on Facebook began a Campaign to have Michael's name restored and uncovered on the auditorium at the Gardner St. Elementary School. We succeed for Michael's Legacy !!

h-20-2279868-1287955867.jpg

"One small step for mankind, one giant LEAP FOR MICHAEL JACKSON !!" :agree:

MJ%20Auditorium1%2010.15.2010.jpg

MJ%20Auditorium2%2010.15.2010.jpg

MJ%20Auditorium3%2010.15.2010.jpg

MJ%20Auditorium5%2010.15.2010.jpg

AS OF TODAY OCTOBER 11TH, 2011
The Michael Jackson Auditorium is restored as it should be.

Thomas Mesereau pays tribute to Michael Jackson on 2nd Anniversary of MJ's death. See the amazing things Tom said about Michael that are so true at this Event !!
:hug:Thank-you again Tom !!:hug:

This is the Youtube Video of this Event on June 25th 2011 at the Gardner St. Elementary School's "A Celebration of M.J.J’s Life” event.
[YOUTUBE]MpCfGkappZI[/YOUTUBE]

The Photo Gallery:

MichaelJacks_Granitz_16860094.jpg

jackson-auditorium-1989.jpg

michael-jackson-auditorium.jpg

0_48910_94f14c77_L.jpg

Michael%20Jackson%201989%20LA.jpg

gardner-street-elementary-school01.jpg

gardner-street-elementary-school02.jpg

michael_jackson_gardner-school.jpg

MichaelJacksonAuditorium11.jpg

MJ-at-auditorium.jpg

2833354952_1_7_ggrZtbGZ.jpg

Michael-attended-Gardner-School-2.jpg

2833354952_1_9_RmgcacPz.jpg

0.jpg

The FaceBook Page DEDICATED to this historical EVENT
http://www.facebook.com/UncoverMJ

MJ TinkerBell
:bow::clapping::clap:

Last edited:
He looks so young in those photos. I mean I suppose that was 22 years ago now if it was in '89. Amazing, thanks for posting that up . :)

:clapping: Thanks so much for the correction community :hug: math was never my strong suit :hysterical: it has been UPDATED :agree::flowers: And yes Michael could not be more sexy and devine in these photos !!:photo::swoon: fell in LOVE again !!:woohoo::bow::swoon::wub:

He looks so young in those photos. I mean I suppose that was 22 years ago now if it was in '89. Amazing, thanks for posting that up . :)

Last edited:
Michael is so beautiful in these videos - thank you for posting... wow it is really 22 years ago... feels like only yesterday! LOVE Betelgeuse

Back