CLAAD.org denounces Murray documentary, asks everyone to 'turn TV off'!

Ankita

Proud Member
I'm not sure if this has already been posted.

News Release: Coalition Urges Public To Spurn MSNBC Documentary

No tolerance, no excuses for ‘white-coat crimes’ of rogue prescribing.

A national alliance of families, medical professionals, law enforcement, and drug abuse prevention advocates has urged the public to turn off their TVs this Friday at 10 p.m. Eastern Time. The call for action comes in response to MSNBC’s plan to air a documentary featuring the doctor found guilty for the homicide death of Michael Jackson.

A California jury convicted Dr. Conrad Murray of involuntary manslaughter this week for his role in the 2009 death of the King of Pop. Sentencing is scheduled to take place Nov. 29.

“Criminal prescribing of powerful medications cannot be justified or otherwise explained away,” stated Michael Barnes, a Washington, DC, attorney and board member for the not-for-profit Center for Lawful Access and Abuse Deterrence (CLAAD).

“It is imperative to remember that Conrad Murray killed another human being with criminal negligence,” reminded Mary Abbas, President of MJJJustice Project Inc., an organization dedicated to improving public awareness of Michael Jackson’s life and legacy.

Murray committed 17 egregious violations of the medical standard of care during the hours before Jackson’s death, an expert witness testified to the jury. Primary among the deviations was the prescribing of propofol, a powerful anesthetic, to mimic the effects of sleep. A coroner’s investigation identified an overdose of propofol and other controlled substances prescribed by Murray as the cause of Jackson’s death.

During the trial, Murray’s defense team attempted to blame Jackson for causing his own death.

“As a practicing physician, I find Conrad Murray's behavior abhorrent and an embarrassment,” said Lauren Trainor, D.O., of Huntington Beach, California. “Neither my family nor I will devote one second to Murray's documentary.”

CLAAD is urging the public to shut off their televisions, turn on their favorite Michael Jackson songs, and clean out their medicine cabinets this Friday night.

Information on proper medication disposal is available on the Food and Drug Administration’s website at http://1.usa.gov/2Ggrp.

Removing unused medications from homes can help prevent overdose deaths.

The U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) last week reported that more than 40 people die every day from overdoses involving pain relievers alone.

CLAAD’s National Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Strategy details recommendations aimed preventing “white-coat crimes” involving the illicit prescribing of medications.

The National Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Strategy has been endorsed by 30 non-profit organizations and may be accessed online at http://www.claad.org/.

“I will turn my TV off,” vowed Abby Megginson of Los Angeles.

About the Center for Lawful Access and Abuse Deterrence
The primary objective of the Center for Lawful Access and Abuse Deterrence (CLAAD) is to coordinate a comprehensive national effort to prevent the diversion, misuse, and abuse of prescription medications while ensuring adequate medical care for patients in need. CLAAD enables health professionals, law enforcement, businesses, and government, among many other entities, to share resources and work together to reduce prescription drug abuse, addiction, and overdoses.

Reporters: CLAAD can connect you with health care professionals as well as families that have suffered from prescription drug abuse.
For more information, please contact:
Marina Hench, Program Manager
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> <!-- var prefix = 'mailto:'; var suffix = ''; var attribs = ''; var path = 'hr' + 'ef' + '='; var addy20318 = 'mhench' + '@'; addy20318 = addy20318 + 'claad' + '.' + 'org'; document.write( '<a ' + path + '\'' + prefix + addy20318 + suffix + '\'' + attribs + '>' ); document.write( addy20318 ); document.write( '<\/a>' ); //--> </SCRIPT>mhench@claad.org<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> <!-- document.write( '<span style=\'display: none;\'>' ); //--> </SCRIPT> This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> <!-- document.write( '</' ); document.write( 'span>' ); //--> </SCRIPT>
703-527-4550
http://www.claad.org/

Back