Poor Ratings for HLN and MSNBC! Regarding Murray documentary

Ankita

Proud Member
November 20, 2011

With the Conrad Murray trial and its painful aftermath, it has been very difficult for supporters of Michael Jackson for the past few months. The media once again failed to accurately report what was happening inside the courtroom. Michael's supporters were watching the trial and could clearly see what the media was doing. By watching the trial on live streaming, we deprived Scott Safon, Executive Producer of HLN, the ratings bonanza that he was so hoping to achieve. HLN consistently performed at next to bottom, ahead of MSNBC, for cable news ratings.

Shortly after the jury announced they had found Conrad Murray guilty of the crime of the involuntary manslaughter of Michael Jackson, MSNBC announced that in just a few days they would be airing the Conrad Murray documentary, Michael Jackson and the Doctor: A Fatal Friendship. MSNBC's misguided decision to go forward with this documentary did not yield the ratings they expected either.

The Conrad Murray documentary averaged 240,000 viewers in a Friday, November 11 demo, the time slot where MSNBC traditionally airs documentaries. That was enough to best top-rated Fox News, but the documentary was third in the hour among total viewers with 525,000.

In overseas markets, BBC News reported the most-watched U.K. programs on November 11 were EastEnders, with 8.4 million viewers and Coronation Street, which was seen by 8.1 million. "But Channel 4's exclusive interview with Dr. Conrad Murray, who was convicted of the involuntary manslaughter of pop star Michael Jackson..., only attracted 757,000 viewers." Australia's Channel 9's showing of the documentary only attracted 572,000 viewers as compared to the one million generally expected.

MSNBC licensed the documentary, which was produced by October Films and U.K.-based What's It All About? Productions. The deal included a pre-verdict "promotional" interview with Murray, which NBC gave prime placement on Today the morning after Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Jackson.

Representatives for Jackson criticized MSNBC for its plans to air the documentary and questioned whether money made on the film was somehow being funneled to Murray. The documentary also raised new questions about checkbook journalism, since the license fee did include an interview with Murray.

Clearly, you, Michael Jackson's admirers have made a difference by choosing to not watch HLN and MSNBC. You have also made your voices heard by your continued willingness communicate your disgust to these two networks that displayed poor ethics in the Conrad Murray trial. It is definitely a start.

Thank you for what you all do for Michael each day.

www.MJTruthNow.com

I am really laughing after reading this. This is very good news. Though personally the ratings should have been much more lower than that. But it is still really good news. I still can't believe that many people watch that murderer.

Well this is great news! Only 1.5 million viewers between the US, UK and Australia? Considering how big their market was, this is like a spit in the ocean.
Think they learned anything from this? Hmmm....nah.

It's always good to get up in the morning and read something like this. Hopefully this will send a message that we're not amused at the way the media seems to think itself fit to dehumanize and walk all over Michael Jackson. We've basically told them we will hit them where it hurts should they choose to directly participate in or in any way endorse such activity via advertisements, etc.

We are truly international legion, and our voice, when we're united, is something worthy of awe.

Thanks for posting this. I've been searching on the internet to find out how many people have seen it in Holland yesterday.
In Holland 291.000 people watched the documentary on the dutch channel BNN. Of all the people that had their tv on at the time it was broadcasted only 4,2% were watching it.

Good news, finally. Maybe they'll realize we're not as stupid as they think, and we are a force that has to be taken into account.

unfortunately we can still see it on internet ,svtplay

They can f*** off! I will never believe or support this crap and i urge everybody around me to do the same. This of course is good news, but it wont ever stop.

I'm feeling so smug right now :D ... I think I am going to write them all an email with some smart-ar$e comments. :nana:

757.000 in uk is still more than it deserved, wish no one would have watched it, but it's impossible

unfortunately we can still see it on internet ,svtplay

I know it's on YouTube, but that doesn't really matter. They're not getting ratings and their sponsors aren't getting their money's worth if the doc. is on YouTube without commercials. That seems to be the ideal thing, actually, for those who want to see what it's about without actually supporting MSNBC et al.

Also i doubt ppl are gonna waste their time watching it on youtube since the documentary was aired ages ago

Very good news, although like some of you I wish less watched it.

Also i doubt ppl are gonna waste their time watching it on youtube since the documentary was aired ages ago

It was on YouTube before it was aired in the U.S. but basically yes, if they already aired it and no one was interested in its premiere, no one will be interested in it afterwards...

I hope others with the same kind of ideas, like tributes or any kind of merchandising in mind, will remember this, and other failures. I hope they'll remember we are here, we are watching them, and we think before we buy.

I wonder how many viewers (or hits?) there were for the live stream of the trial. I think that with the general public there was a lack of interest in this trial, sadly. That's the impression I get anyway. Just because I hardly ever saw anyone comment or post about it on my Facebook newsfeed other than the diehard MJ fans. And when I posted updates, they would go largly ignored.

I feel like we should boycott out msnbc... There track record with Michael throughout the years has been worst than foxnews.. This is not the first time msnbc has rewarded someone that hurt Michael.... Lets not forget they gave Martin Bashir a job after LWMJ!

Back