80's music

Drama Queen

Proud Member
This era of music deserves it's own thread. I wasn't born yet in the 80's, but listening to music from that era makes me feel nostalgic, or something. It was a time for real music, not the autotuned rubbish that we hear today. It was a time where real talent was noticed, and where many artists were at the height of their careers (Michael Jackson, Culture Club, Whitney Houston...)

These are some of my favourite artists/songs that were big in the 80's (in no particular order except for MJ, who will always be first):

Artists:
1. Michael Jackson. His music was real, and almost every song had a powerful message. He put so much heart into what he did, I can actually "feel" his emotions through his voice.
2. Queen. Freddie Mercury's voice was just unbelievable.
3. Bon Jovi
4. Culture Club
5. Metallica
6. Whitney Houston

Songs:
1. Alphaville - Forever Young
2. Toto - Africa
3. a-ha - Take on Me
4. Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
5. Bryan Adams - Heaven
6. F.R. David - Words

The 80's has always been my favorite decade for music. The production, the melodies, the music videos. Everything was perfect

My fave artists:
Michael Jackson
a-ha
Tears For Fears
Mike And The Mechanics
Genesis/Phil Collins
Duran Duran

Songs:
Alphaville - Big In Japan
Van Halen - Why Can't This Be Love
Johnny Hates Jazz - Shattered Dreams
Toto - Africa, Rozanna and Hold The Line
Rod Stewart - Young Turks and Baby Jane
Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark
Bee Gees - You Win Again
Level 42 - Lessons In Love
Stevie Wonder - Part Time Lover
Hall And Oates - Maneater and Out Of Touch
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
Wax - Bridge To Your Heart
The Cars - Drive
Don Henley - The Boys Of Summer
Steve Winwood - Valerie and Higher Love
Survivor - Burning Heart
Robert Tepper - No Easy Way Out
Journey - Don't Stop Believing and Anyway You Want It
Stan Bush - The Touch and Dare
Ray Parker J.R - Ghostbusters
Howard Huntsberry - Higher And Higher

Last edited:
I will be checking out some of the songs on your list! I'm glad that someone else likes 80's music as much as I do. It makes me sad how few people of our generation appreciate real music.

Another song worth mentioning is Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You by Glenn Madeiros. The whole song was perfect. I love the 80's, because the lyrics meant something. I want to hear more songs with real meaning, and real singers. Today, the message of too many songhs is simply "I'm horny and I want the whole world to know it", and the bad, computerized vocals don't help.

What mind boggles me is how some people can call 80's music cheesy. Songs that are being played on mainstream radio today are far more cheesy than the 80's. Take LMFAO song I'm Sexy And I Know It for example. That's incredibly cheesy

What mind boggles me is how some people can call 80's music cheesy. Songs that are being played on mainstream radio today are far more cheesy than the 80's. Take LMFAO song I'm Sexy And I Know It for example. That's incredibly cheesy

That song is just plain awful. It's sad that today, you are not required to actually be able to sing well in order to sell a record, because technology can fix any terrible vocals. 80's music was full of real talent, and that's why I love it so much. I have a playlist on my iPod dedicated solely to the 80's, and it mostly consists of Michael Jackson and Queen songs.

Listening to all those talents makes me wish that MJ had done a duet with Boy George (the Culture Club's lead singer). Boy George mention once that MJ did call and ask to work with him, buy Boy George turned him down. That was a crazy move, that duet would have been incredible. So would have MJ and Jon Bon Jovi...

Some more favorite 80's songs of mine

ABC - The Look Of Love
Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is
Neneh Cherry - Manchild and Buffalo Stance
Boy Meets Girl - Waiting For A Star To Fall
Terence Trent D'arby - Sign Your Name
Huey Lewis And The News - The Power Of Love and Back In Time

The 80s were the golden age of popular music, in my opinion. So many great, creative, original artists. Just think about a decade where artists like Michael, Prince, Queen etc. ruled the charts!

MTV still played music and the magic was still there. I'm afraid there will never be another decade in popular music like the 80s! We are certainly very much off that level right now, with the current music scene.

Great song - ABC's "Look of Love"! A classic. :clap: And don't forget the Stray Cats "Rock this Town" and Sheila E's "Glamorous Life". Tons of great '80 sounds!

Last edited:
I will have to check out some of these suggestions.

Also, Bryan Adams is amazing. I've had Summer Of '69 on repeat since yesterday, and I love Heaven; everything about that song is perfect.

Last edited:
More fave 80's songs

Men At Work - Land Down Under
Irene Cara - What A Feeling
The Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited
Earth, Wind And Fire - Let's Groove
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls and Suburbia

Boogie funk:

Vaughn Mason & Crew - Bounce, Rock, Skate

[youtube]RLCc6AHgQ4g[/youtube]

How can you NOT love the 80s? Especially with stuff like this...

[youtube]o1tj2zJ2Wvg[/youtube]

[youtube]VEJ8lpCQbyw[/youtube]

[youtube]Nu4wvvoA9-s[/youtube]

[youtube]bkysjcs5vFU[/youtube]

[youtube]4B_UYYPb-Gk[/youtube]

Happy I have found this thread :)
I love music of the 80s
Altough it ain't always nice to get older, I am thankful I was alive and aware of this music.
I saw some of you already mentioned: Toto
I love this group and have all there CD's and DVD's

here is one of my favorites;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfectvlR88k

I love 80's music. :wild: Some of my favorite songs, besides MJ's are:

Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer
Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf
Phil Collins _ In The air Tonight
Berlin - Take My Breath Away
Prince - When Doves Cry
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Madonna - Like a Virgin
Eurythmics - Sweet Sreams (Are Made Of This)
Hall & Oates - I can't Go For That (No Can Do)

And many more....

More than this ~ Roxy Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOnde5c7OG8

I don't know the age of Brian Ferry, but I remember my mum liked him much..so he probably ain't that young anymore
I need to look that up next time.....for one reason being on this forum and you tube on the same time isn't working for me ...please don't tell me it's my computer :( Ugh!!!

Back