The Grammys

I agree I miss him so much :( The entertainment business is just going south with out a clear Talent and role model like Michael. I know he would still blow them all out of the water today if he was here . FACT

Adele is a class act .. she was deserving and very supriised and humble that she won Album of the year . She didnt need to be swinging from the ceiling half naked to show she is relevant and a force to be reckoned with.
Im so Glad she won :)

I left the tv on just to see the Foo Fighters (they were great!) and the WH tribute.
I didn't pay attention to the rest, I was busy typing.

I did watch for a bit, only because nothing better was on and I needed background noise. It was good to see things in their proper order: Adele winning all the awards, people being rightly disgusted by Nicki Minaj's dumb performance, and Perry, Rihanna [for her own work, not Kanye West's song], and Gaga going home with nothing.

It seems there is some hope left for mainstream music after all.

But sweet mother of god...Nicki Minaj was awful. I think she might be even more annoying, desperate, and mediocre than Gaga. And...why does everyone pick on Christians and the Catholic Church? It was edgy 20 years ago. Nowadays, it's gotten old. Either pick on something else for a change, actually invest some good time and brainpower into a meaningful performance, or GTFO, and I say that as an atheist.

Adele totally nailed it with her performance, though, proving that a classy lady with an amazing voice, raw emotion, and a microphone will always beat a bunch of strumpets prancing around half-naked singing emotionally dead and artistically irrelevant songs.

Nowadays, in a world where desperate attention whores [of both genders] are the norm, the real edgy people are the ones who dare to be...decent.

The Grammys kind of lost its meaning to me when I realized that people like Jay-Z and Kayne West have more Grammys than Michael. Ridiculous. And no, it's not just being biased for Michael. I could have mentioned Prince who has 7 Grammys or Whitney who has 6. And people like Kanye West, Jay-Z and Beyoncé have in the range of 16-18.
That makes the whole Grammy Awards ridiculous and meaningless.

Last edited:
respect77;3598442 said:
The Grammys kind of lost its meaning to me when I realized that people like Jay-Z and Kayne West have more Grammys than Michael. Ridiculous. And no, it's not just being biased for Michael. I could have mentioned Prince who has 7 Grammys or Whitney who has 6. And people like Kanye West, Jay-Z and Beyoncé have in the range of 16-18.

Generally, yes. But once in a blue moon someone deserving like Adele gets them.

Generally, yes. But once in a blue moon someone deserving like Adele gets them.

With all the adulation Adele gets nowadays it may be blasphemous to say, but I will say it: Adele is the best of this generation, but that's not saying much, since the competition is so weak. Yes, she is a breath of fresh air, nice music, good voice, nice lady and all that, but I don't think she's as sensational as the hype is. It's just that the weak general state of the industry makes her seem special.

I was about to check out some performances and then bounce, but some of yall are speaking the truth here and I feel compelled to give my humble 2 cents.

respect77;3598442 said:
Yes, Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Beyoncé, they were already active in the scene when The Grammys started handing out the awards to a bunch of commercially successful acts.

When they got rid of multiple R&B categories, it was the last straw for me :angry:
Some leaders like, Dr.Cornel West, have taken the initiative to raise awareness on the issue, but more industry people should take part. If there's gonna be some type of movement including a fund-raising campaign, I'd be willing to chip in.

helena22;3598480 said:
I was about to check out some performances and then bounce, but some of yall are speaking the truth here and I feel compelled to give my humble 2 cents.

Yes, Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Beyoncé, they were already active in the scene when The Grammys started handing out the awards to a bunch of commercially successful acts.

When they got rid of multiple R&B categories, it was the last straw for me :angry:
Some leaders like, Dr.Cornel West, have taken the initiative to raise awareness on the issue, but more industry people should take part. If there's gonna be some type of movement including a fund-raising campaign, I'd be willing to chip in.

I kind of start to understand why Quincy attacked Kanye West and put down his "talent" about 2-3 years ago when he said something like this: "It's ridiculous to even compare him to me." Yes, Quincy is a big-headed, because you should let others praise you, not praise yourself, but now I kind of understand why he said that and what he meant and I can't say I disagree with him. This is ridiculous where the industry is heading to.

With all the adulation Adele gets nowadays it may be blasphemous to say, but I will say it: Adele is the best of this generation, but that's not saying much, since the competition is so weak. Yes, she is a breath of fresh air, nice music, good voice, nice lady and all that, but I don't think she's as sensational as the hype is. It's just that the weak general state of the industry makes her seem special.

Well, duh, but at this point we'll take whatever we can get that isn't half-naked, irrelevant, and/or pretending to be edgy with trashiness and picking on the easiest group of people's religious beliefs, etc. That kind of thing was new 20-30 years ago. Now it's boring as all fxxk, and decency is the new rare thing.

I'm not even a fan of Adele's [although I do admittedly have her song stuck in my head right now], I don't even have a single one of her songs on my iPod because her style of music is not my cup of tea, but she is the best mainstream music has to offer at this point in time, and for that I think she ought to be supported. Help wash the Minaj, Perry, Gaga, and Rihanna-ness away... -eye twitch- Uncleaannnn...

*rocks back and forth in fetal position in the shower, scrubbing self*

Well, duh, but at this point we'll take whatever we can get that isn't half-naked, irrelevant, and/or pretending to be edgy with trashiness and picking on the easiest group of people's religious beliefs, etc. That kind of thing was new 20-30 years ago. Now it's boring as all fxxk, and decency is the new rare thing.

I'm not even a fan of Adele's [although I do admittedly have her song stuck in my head right now], I don't even have a single one of her songs on my iPod because her style of music is not my cup of tea, but she is the best mainstream music has to offer at this point in time, and for that I think she ought to be supported. Help wash the Minaj, Perry, Gaga, and Rihanna-ness away... -eye twitch- Uncleaannnn...

*rocks back and forth in fetal position in the shower, scrubbing self*

Yeah, and that's what I said too. With this competition she kind of deserved the Grammys, because otherwise who would? Lady Gaga? No. Katy Perry? No. Rihanna? No. I agree with you on that. It's just sad that the music industry has got to this point where being OK to good is praised as "OMG, this is the best thing since sliced bread" because the rest is so bad.

I kind of can understand Adele's commercial success and appeal. People are hungry for something real. Real emotions, real music, real people. So her album boomed in an environment where her competition are the likes of Gaga or Perry. I get that. It's just when I place her into a greater perspective I think she's not that special. But now she's one of the best the industry has to offer.

Impressive numbers - after the awards - Grammys:

Kanye West has 18x

"Who are these artists?":
Chick Corea - 18x
Pat Metheny - 19x
Alison Krauss - 27x (record with Quincy´s 27x)

Without Michael there almost every year. The Grammys are totally meaningless to me.:(

Seriously. I wish it was February 28th, 1984 all over again :(

michael_jackson_and_quincy_jones_at_the_grammys_in_1116397641.JPG

Adele deserved every one of her wins, especially with her competition, her performance was great too, no gimmicks just her and a mic.

Adele's performance:

Whitney mentions:

Whitney Tribute:

Nicki Minaj:

Rihanna:

Coldplay and Rihanna:

um that last comment..... I dont i was 4 years old then! Def not old enough to appreciate the moment...

Now As far as the show goes. I caught the ending of it, Now thats doesn't mean i didn't follow it. The Grammy's like MANY award shows follows a trend. It goes along with whatever may be popular at the time of year or just the time. The talent this year however left a odd aftertaste. I cant believe Lady G didn't win for Born This way? That is a powerful song, Now from what i seen of Nicki Minaj's performance... I have no words for how AWFUL it was.. I did manage to see a small amount of Chris Brown's performance but had to change the channel for a while... Despite what we think or want to see out of the Grammy's there is no way we can get what we want now. We all want them to be like they were when Michael was with us. Things cant stay the same.

Things change and so does the music and so do the ears we hear it with. It's sad we alter what we watch simply because one person isn't there anymore. We need to deal with this fact and move on. I know it will be hard to do but it must be done. Michael worked hard for what he earned, so do some of the other artists out there.

I thought the show was boring to be honest. It's not the same anymore with Michael gone. I would always hoped he would show up over the years and be surprised. I only watched to see how they would deal with Whitney's death (sad) and so I watched. I think there are too many performances. It's like a concert not an award show. I remember when I was little that you would be on the egde of your seat to see who would win in the category and now they hardly give out awards on the show like 2 per hour.

I am glad Adele won. I thought she looked beautiful and classy. I have felt she has been so refreshing this past year. I am just tired of seeing the over the top get ups and lack of clothes etc. It should be about the music. I understand you want to make an impression but it gets old after awhile. The performance I thought was pretty good was Taylor Swift. Not a fan but I don't dislike her but she had a fierce approach to her song and I thought it was good. Nobody get mad but I couldn't understand Bruce Springsteen at all.

I think the Foo Fighters lead singer said something in his speech about working hard and not about computers and using your mind and heart. I can't remember what he said exactly but I appreciated hearing it. I am not sure if he was the one that talked about Michael once or another person in a good way.

Chris Brown umm I look at him and I don't see Michael at all. I am not bashing him but I don't see the comparison at all. He should do his own thing and he has his own style. I thought Bruno Mars reminded me of Michael a bit. He was good too.

I think the Foo Fighters lead singer said something in his speech about working hard and not about computers and using your mind and heart. I can't remember what he said exactly but I appreciated hearing it. I am not sure if he was the one that talked about Michael once or another person in a good way.

Dave Grohl. He played drums on the "Michael" album.

Am I the only one who felt Chris Brown was trying to channel Michael? I am not complaining but the jacket with the "B" reminded me of Michael's letterjacket with the "M" and did I see white tape on his fingers? the out fits on his backup dancers reminded me of the bats costumes from TIWT. Like I said I am not complaining. chris has made no secret that he loves Michael or maybe I just see Michael in everything! lol:cheeky:

I don't give a damn about these award shows anymore.... Without Michael, there are not the same anymore.

Rihanna shoulda done Whitney's tribute instead, IMHO.

BTW - Who were the people on the tv screens at the end of Whitney's tribute?? I tried to recognize someone.

The only good thing about this year grammys was Taylor Swift... Her performance was amazing and she deservedly won two grammys for her fantastic and inspirational song 'Mean'. She should have also won the grammy for the Best Country Album... Also, she looked stunning, miles better than Adele and the rest..

I only decided to watch for the Whitney tribute. I thought it was a pretty good show overall this time, with the exception of a few bad performances (Nicki Minaj *cough*). I'm happy for Adele. :) It would be nice if she could usher in great music into mainstream again. The fact that the crowd was cheering pretty hard after her performance tells me that people do want to listen to real music.

Back