Publicist Remembers Whitney Houston ~ The Jamaica Observers Article ~ February 18th, 2012

MJ TinkerBell

Proud Member
Where Michael IS..Is where you will find Me <3
Country
Canada
logo_50th.png

Publicist remembers Whitney Houston
by Kevin Jackson Observer Writer
Saturday, February 18, 2012

GWENDOLYN Quinn had become accustomed to reports of Whitney Houston's death. So when news broke last Saturday that the pop diva had died, she treated it as just another rumour.

It was not until she received a note from a journalist that the sad reality set in.

Clive Davis (left), founder of Arista label who signed Whitney Houston in 1983, shares lens with Gwendolyn Quinn, Houston’s publicist at a previous event.

Quinn, a veteran publicist, was the primary contact for Houston at Arista Records between 1995 and 2000.

"I was calm when I first heard the news because I remembered during my tenure at Arista Records there were a few false reports that she had passed away," Quinn said. "I was in the car with some of my other clients when the news first broke and I asked a few people in the car to check the Associated Press and CNN. Like everyone else, I was in shock and stunned."

Quinn described working with Houston as a delightful experience.

"It was a family vibe. To this date, Whitney was the most professional artiste that I ever worked with throughout my entire music career as a publicist," Quinn said. "Whenever she committed to an interview, she came prepared and arrived on time. She was personable, professional, positive and gracious."

She recalled her fondest memories working with Houston.

"One was an interview at her home in New Jersey for Ebony magazine with Lynn Norment. I also loved attending her annual holiday events for her charity work on behalf of her foundation for children at Newark Symphony Hall," Quinn said. "I loved the special press dinner for black media at Mr Chow's Restaurant in New York City, she spent quality time with all the journalsts there. She was also very generous and would send beautiful gifts and notes to me as well as other members of the Arista team.

I will cherish all the memories, the beautiful smile and her gracious spirit."

Commenting on Houston's passing, Quinn said, "I will miss her and the world will miss her. I thank God that he blessed us with her talent and artistry."

A former fashion model, Houston had an impressive 27-year career, even though she released just six studio albums between 1985 and 2009.

Her songs were the main focus for soundtracks to the hit movies, The Bodyguard, Waiting to Exhale, and The Preacher's Wife.

She has sold more than 170 million records. Among Houston's biggest hits were her cover of Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You, You Give Good Love, Where Do Broken Hearts Go, her cover of Greatest Love of All and One Moment in Time.

Houston will be buried today in her hometown of Newark, New Jersey.

She is survived by a daughter, 18-year-old Bobbi Kristina Houston Brown, from her marriage to singer Bobby Brown, and her mother, gospel legend Cissy Houston.

The Source:
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/entertainment/Publicist-remembers-Whitney_10803130

Back