Michael Jackson And Akon Song Originally Intended For Whitney Houston

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
Michael Jackson And Akon Song Originally Intended For Whitney Houston - Forbes
INVESTING | 2/20/2012 @ 3:40PM

Weeks before Whitney Houston’s death, Grammy-nominated songwriter Claude Kelly stopped by the Forbes headquarters in New York and shared his thoughts on mashups, Miley Cyrus, Notorious B.I.G. and the business of songwriting.

In the interview, he told a fascinating story about how a song he’d written called “Hold My Hand” ended up being one of Michael Jackson’s last recordings. Kelly had penned the tune with Akon, originally creating it with Whitney Houston in mind. In the end, Akon liked the song so much that he decided to record it himself rather than giving it to Houston.

In 2008, Akon found himself in the studio with Michael Jackson–and decided to offer the song to The King of Pop as a duet. The two recorded the song together; a version would appear on Jackson’s posthumous album, Michael. Though the final product was a bit different than Kelly’s original tune, he was pleased with the end result.

“He’s my all-time favorite artist,” says Kelly of Jackson. “['Hold My Hand'] didn’t go No. 1, it didn’t match ‘Thriller,’ or anything else he’s done. But for me I can say I was one of the last people to have a song recored by Michael Jackson. That’s good enough.”

To hear the full story from Claude Kelly, see the video below — the part about “Hold My Hand” bouncing from Whitney Houston to Akon to Michael Jackson begins at 2:30.
[video=youtube;ct01VgCTgXI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct01VgCTgXI[/video]

Is Akon a liar? I thought I heard him say he wrote Hold My Hand and was so excited to show Michael. I may have heard wrong, though.

No Akon didnt Lie. He never said he wrote "Hold My Hand" and always gave credit to Claude Kelly. But Akon did say he was excited to show MJ the song becuase he felt MJ would like it and that it was a good song for them to record.
Claude Kelly is credited on the song and Album as the writer.

Michael and Whitney singing 'Hold my hand' as a duet would have been awesome.

It would be nice if Michael & Whitney did duet together when they were alive...

I read way before her passing that there is an unreleased mj song featuring Whitney: Days of the broken hearted.
I also rembember the rumour that the Whitney song "I turn to you" was originally a duet with MJ and Whitney.

But if they really exist I don't know, but I hope so!

No Akon didnt Lie. He never said he wrote "Hold My Hand" and always gave credit to Claude Kelly. But Akon did say he was excited to show MJ the song becuase he felt MJ would like it and that it was a good song for them to record.
Claude Kelly is credited on the song and Album as the writer.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I thought I'd ask because I didn't want to go searching through the Making Of documentary for that one clip if it's even in there.

I figured I must have missed something when I read this because I always thought Akon wrote the song in like one day. :lol:

Wasnt I Just Cant Stop Loving You originally intended to be a duet with Michael and Whitney?

'Hold my hand' is a beautiful song, didn't know it was done with whitney in mind originally,

Wasnt I Just Cant Stop Loving You originally intended to be a duet with Michael and Whitney?

That is my belief too, also the blonde haired lady from Abba,(sorry don't know her name) they all turned it down, other commitments

Agnetha Fältskog is her name, ..I googled blonde haired lady from Abba lol google is my friend today *phew*

I think the only reason that there is no duet between both is because of Whitneys record company. And not just because of the allegation. As i remember right, they were against even in the late 80s.
And knowing how the duets with Enrique and G. Michael were made, separate recorded, wonder why they didnt do any duet. If it was because of time, its possible as said above.
Maybe there is something, but we never heard of it. but i doubt it.

If the song Hold My hand would have been given to Whitney most likely Michael wouldnt have recorded it at all.
The only reason he recorded it is becuase Akon got access to the song and presented it to Michael. So Im glad
it didnt go to Whitney in this case.

I love that song, it was really good. Just glad Michael got to do it.

Back