How are Jehovah's Witnesses perceived in your country?

TheSilentOne

Proud Member
In my country the general opinion on JW religion is really bad. It is not even considered a religion, rather a dangerous sect that once they "get" you they isolate you from your family and friends and take all your money and property. I remember in the 90's they use to do door-to-door pioneering regularly and were laughed at by everyone. I don't see them doing this anymore, instead they stand at underground stations offering Watch Tower magazine. From time to time they get insulted by a passer-by, especially the JW women, for standing there instead of taking care of their children.

I thought it could be quite different in other parts of the world. As MJJC is such a lovely place with people from all around the world, I thought it would be interesting if you could share your experience.

Hello TheSilentOne Thank you to open this subject ...... I have things has to say but I return later because I miss time, I have a question for you however: which is your country?

I didn't know they were treated that bad in other countries.

Where I live most people are tolerant about religion.
We see them as very religious people who goes door to door, most of the time people don't listen to them but sometimes they do. Sometimes they give us magazines.
Btw, I like reading their magazines, I find interesting articles there :)

Thank you for your reply, lucilla.

Most people here are tolerant about other religions as well. I can't think of any other religion perceived as bad as JW religion, as I have written above it's not even considered a religion. I don't know why is that. Maybe it's because people don't usually like to talk about their religion openly and Jehovah's Witnesses do it very openly. I think it could be one of the pre-1989 relic (people who openly admitted to be religious were persecuted).

As crazy lunatics who keep bugging you...

Then again, most people in my country are hypocrites since they're religious too. They think religious people are lunatics (specifically Jehovah's Witnesses), but they're part of various other religious groups themselves.

They're all the same for me. I only dislike individuals who try to force their BS on me. I don't hate religious groups as a whole since I know people who are religious and are quite nice to talk to and hang out with, the kind of religious people who DON'T go around preaching their religion and making sure to tell me I'm going to hell and that it's their job to 'save me' (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean). Not sure sure how a casual chat next to the water cooler can turn into a 'you're going to hell, you need to be saved' kind of discussion (and yes, THAT did happen to me... twice already!).

I don't know, everybody's free to believe whatever then want (no matter how illogical it might be) but they should leave others alone. So I guess my point is, I don't mind religious people, as long as they don't keep harassing me with their stupid beliefs when I'm at work, at school, on the street or at home.

Let the 'I'm offended' posts commence...

Last edited:
I don't mind religious people, as long as they don't keep harassing me with their stupid beliefs when I'm at work, on the street or at home.

Stupid? What's stupid for you might be wise for others. Although I agree, people shouldn't be bugging other people like ''You're going to hell, so listen to me!''. I think it's ok if it's nice debate or discussion about religion that DOESN'T end up like fighting (though often it does and I hate that. I've seen it before). I'm lutheran myself though. But I've understood that very often talking about religion to other people leads no where except fights, that's why I don't talk about it to other people. I support actions like some non religious person asks some questions regarding and then smart religious people can explain very carefully and it can be nice discussion overall. But in my experience that doesn't happen much Lol.

Last edited:

Nah I don't think anyone would be offended by your post. Though why you say crazy lunatics, or BS, or stupid? That might be your opinion, but cmon, why so harsh? :)

Yes indeed. Stupid. The belief that I need to be harassed and told I'm going to hell and need to be saved is indeed completely stupid. That's the specific belief I was talking about. Not the belief in God (or a God), which is something I described as being 'illogical'.

They're all the same for me. I only dislike individuals who try to force their BS on me. I don't hate religious groups as a whole since I know people who are religious and are quite nice to talk to and hang out with, the kind of religious people who DON'T go around preaching their religion and making sure to tell me I'm going to hell and that it's their job to 'save me' (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean). Not sure sure how a casual chat next to the water cooler can turn into a 'you're going to hell, you need to be saved' kind of discussion (and yes, THAT did happen to me... twice already!).

I don't know, everybody's free to believe whatever then want (no matter how illogical it might be) but they should leave others alone. So I guess my point is, I don't mind religious people, as long as they don't keep harassing me with their stupid beliefs when I'm at work, at school, on the street or at home.

Nah I don't think anyone would be offended by your post. Though why you say crazy lunatics, or BS, or stupid? That might be your opinion, but cmon, why so harsh? :)

I already explained the 'stupid' and 'BS' part. As for the 'crazy lunatics', pay attention to what I said... The question of the topic is 'How are Jehovah's Witnesses perceived in your country?' and my answer was...

Then again, most people in my country are hypocrites since they're religious too. They think religious people are lunatics (specifically Jehovah's Witnesses), but they're part of various other religious groups themselves.

Last edited:
^ yeah, you might be right about that going to hell and saving thing that you don't like to be bugged. I wouldn't like that as well. But why you say that believing in God IS stupid. I think it may be stupid in your opinion. But I'm not responding like you ARE wrong. IMO something starts and creates something. Things just don't get to create themselves just like that from anything. Even if big explosion created the Earth, what created explosion? Why Universe was created? Just by themselves, from nothing? From utter black nothingness? IMO believing in God is logical. But I'm not going to start debate here. Hope mods pay attention that this is not a fight, we are just discussing :)
Also I have to say that I have met in my life very very nice christian people. I dunno about individuals though. IMO bugging others and saying like your opinion is 100% wrong is not right. Better give some advice ok. But saying ''you'll go to hell'' isn't right. Also fighting isn't right.
And I respect your opinion, T.N.A., even if it doesn't agree with mine :cheers:

Last edited:
Like last summer there were like two people from JW coming to our door and telling that stuff. Bugged me a bit though. If I was interested in their beliefs I would search for information myself. But I don't think they are threated badly in my country. They're minority for sure here and my country is little dot compared to USA. Just 2 million people. Also I haven't heard much about them in my country overall. So I guess they're doing ok here. Lol

^ yeah, you might be right about that going to hell and saving thing that you don't like to be bugged. I wouldn't like that as well. But why you say that believing in God IS stupid. I think it may be stupid in your opinion. But I'm not responding like you ARE wrong. IMO something starts and creates something. Things just don't get to create themselves just like that from anything. Even if big explosion created the Earth, what created explosion? Why Universe was created? Just by themselves, from nothing? From utter black nothingness? IMO believing in God is logical.

Causal determinism! We are hardwired to need answers. The caveman who heard a rustle in the bushes checked out to see what it was lived longer than the guy who assumed it was just a breeze. The problem is, when we don't find a logical answer, we settle for a stupid one. Ritual is what happens when we run out of rational. So my point is, if we need answers, I don't see why we should settle for highly illogical and irrational ones.

Faith isn't based on logic and experience, that's why I have a problem with it. Things aren't there just because we want them to be there. The religious belief is an irrational belief that gives false hope to people and plants an unrealistic, patently false view of reality. Which in my opinion, is wrong.

Also I have to say that I have met in my life very very nice christian people. I dunno about individuals though. IMO bugging others and saying like your opinion is 100% wrong is not right. Better give some advice ok. But saying ''you'll go to hell'' isn't right. Also fighting isn't right.
And I respect your opinion, T.N.A., even if it doesn't agree with mine :cheers:

Thank you.

Last edited:
Causal determinism! We are hardwired to need answers. The caveman who heard a rustle in the bushes checked out to see what it was lived longer than the guy who assumed it was just a breeze. The problem is, when we don't find a logical answer, we settle for a stupid one. Ritual is what happens when we run out of rational. So my point is, if we need answers, I don't see why we should settle for highly illogical and irrational ones.

Faith isn't based on logic and experience, that's why I have a problem with it. Things aren't there just because we want them to be there. The religious belief is an irrational belief that gives false hope to people and plants an unrealistic, patently false view of reality. Which in my opinion, is wrong.

You have a point. But still those things from where everything starts is under question IMO. Everyone can make it's own interpretation of it. Some people choose to believe God made everything. Other people think it's illogical and choose to believe some science or whatever..

(sorry for this off-topic debate)

I think they're just remembered as the people who go door to door and try to convert people, and 9/10 times the door will be shut in their faces. Other than that I don't think they're seen any different, in fact quite a few religious people from different religions do door to door preaching here, I think most religious people are seen in a bad light here which saddens me.

We hide from them because they won't leave us the fxxk alone. I don't care what people choose to practise [or not practise] as long as they don't involve me in it.

Jehovah's Witnesses aren't very good at doing that, judging by the constant knocking on people's doors despite being told to go away repeatedly, thus forcing me to hide like a fugitive in my own home and be afraid to answer the door. Worse than rent/debt collectors in their persistence to pester the general population.

I think they're just remembered as the people who go door to door and try to convert people, and 9/10 times the door will be shut in their faces. Other than that I don't think they're seen any different, in fact quite a few religious people from different religions do door to door preaching here, I think most religious people are seen in a bad light here which saddens me.

If they didn't go door-to-door attempting to preach their beliefs unto unwilling ears [only to have the door unceremoniously shut in their faces, or worse, depending on what mood I'm in and how energetic and up for a run the German Shepherd/Pit bull/Doberman feels] or try to affect legislation to force their personal philosophies as dictated by some book or collection of books on the general population, NO ONE would be bothered by religious people. However, as a group, religious people often attempt to transgress upon the civil rights of others to satiate their personal philosophy's demands. If they dedicated every fibre of their being to ensure their OWN lives were in accordance to the teachings of their choosing, I honestly wouldn't give a f--k, good for them, different strokes for different folks, etc.

However, when they try to push said teachings on me and make a theocracy out of our government, we will have a problem.

Also, the judging, most often vocal. I don't judge them for shaping their life around some ancient book/set of books, so they shouldn't judge me for living my life the way I choose, provided it does not hurt anyone else, etc.

Last edited:
We hide from them because they won't leave us the fxxk alone. I don't care what people choose to practise [or not practise] as long as they don't involve me in it.

Jehovah's Witnesses aren't very good at doing that, judging by the constant knocking on people's doors despite being told to go away repeatedly, thus forcing me to hide like a fugitive in my own home and be afraid to answer the door. Worse than rent/debt collectors in their persistence to pester the general population.

Sorry to hear you have such problem :( IMO it is wrong they bother other people like that.

In my country the general opinion on JW religion is really bad. It is not even considered a religion, rather a dangerous sect that once they "get" you they isolate you from your family and friends and take all your money and property. I remember in the 90's they use to do door-to-door pioneering regularly and were laughed at by everyone. I don't see them doing this anymore, instead they stand at underground stations offering Watch Tower magazine. From time to time they get insulted by a passer-by, especially the JW women, for standing there instead of taking care of their children.

That is exacly the way they are treated in my country. They still do door to door here and loads of people find it alright to talk very bad about them.
When friends or collegues see that I take my time talking bibel with them, and accepting their magazine, they always come running afterwards saying: Be carefull! You shouldn't talk with people of sects. It's dangerous! They are manipulative and could drag you in. Be aware.

I always talk with them, They are very biblical strong, and I enjoy talking with them. They always have a subject at hand to talk about due to their magazine, and me being religious too do not have many to discuss the world with through biblical eyes, and diffinately not anyone strong in the bibel as them. I have yet to find the big differences in their biblical reading and mine. We practise our religion differently, and we adress things differently, but when it comes to advanced biblical talk, we can both back-up our points of view and have very meaningfull godly conversations.

I know the storys about the jehovahs witnesses and I have witnessed them myself. but I dont think they are much different from other strong believers. I think we all want what is best for our children, and I believe that some jehovahs witnesses are truely scared about their children if they seek out of the religion. part of me understand it and part of me dont.
I will never be practising my religion the way they do, and I believe god and religion can only be taught through love, even if love is sometimes to let go, and catch if fall.

No matter what, I find no reason to be scared of the jehovahs witnesses. If a person is not interested in the what they preach, then they should tell them nice, honest and direct that they aren't interested. just like you should, to the people who call you in the middle of supper to sell you something you dont want. reject their offer in a human way and carry unaffected on with your day.

I always talk with them, They are very biblical strong, and I enjoy talking with them. They always have a subject at hand to talk about due to their magazine, and me being religious too do not have many to discuss the world with through biblical eyes, and diffinately not anyone strong in the bibel as them. I have yet to find the big differences in their biblical reading and mine. We practise our religion differently, and we adress things differently, but when it comes to advanced biblical talk, we can both back-up our points of view and have very meaningfull godly conversations.

That's what my mother do. But I found it bit annoying they kept coming every saturday for many weeks. That was in summer. Now that hasn't happened since summer. But overall they seemed very nice people from what I saw. Individuals may be different, I dunno I haven't dealt with people like Severus said. Also if I remember right, my mother told them not to come anymore. Not like ''F*ck off'', but explaining why we can't entirely accept JW that and our beliefs vary from theirs. So they haven't come since that.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you have such problem :( IMO it is wrong they bother other people like that.

Oh yeah. And when they don't "catch" you, it's not uncommon for them to litter your doorstep with their "literature." It'd be one thing if you were a member of their church and they delivered freebies to your door that you'd obviously have an interest in, but it'd be another breed of cat when they plainly litter your porch/doorstep/etc. with said books just because they feel like it.

Here in the US they are just part of a vast landscape of various religious organizations. I' ve ran into them numerous times etc. and that is just the way it is.
I certainly don't appreciate being verbally admonished to hell for xyz, but I frankly have a hard understanding why some will go out of their way to ridicule someone. Just say no, thank you.

I also live in an area where you will find Native Americans right next to the Amish and Mennonites and I live next to a big Mormon Temple and the Synagogue is close by as well. Haven't seen a Mosque as of yet. Spoke to the Rabbi of the Jewish Community and found that a very interesting talk- how did this place end up with a Jewish community etc?

I frankly love the diversity and apparently the ability to 'talk to your neighbor' is a lost art. People don't even know who lives next to them etc. So to a degree I actually think it commendable that some people still live a way of life in which they expose themselves to others. Yes, under the mantle of religion, but even that is a form of outreach and I won't knock that.

There are many forms of people having lived a life that included 'randomly knocking at someone's door'- even free of religion and I won't knock that either.

c8f4ea6cad39bae3fd017ada3396b02bfa8b1590.jpg

^^^And I bet a lot of people would also react grimly to a bunch of carpenter apprentices whose job it is to randomly seek out locals and offer their work in return for food and shelter as part of their 'traveling years'.

Different folks live different lives. If I don't agree with something, just say no thank you and no harm is done.

Here in the US they are just part of a vast landscape of various religious organizations. I' ve ran into them numerous times etc. and that is just the way it is.
I certainly don't appreciate being verbally admonished to hell for xyz, but I frankly have a hard understanding why some will go out of their way to ridicule someone. Just say no, thank you.

I also live in an area where you will find Native Americans right next to the Amish and Mennonites and I live next to a big Mormon Temple and the Synagogue is close by as well. Haven't seen a Mosque as of yet. Spoke to the Rabbi of the Jewish Community and found that a very interesting talk- how did this place end up with a Jewish community etc?

I frankly love the diversity and apparently the ability to 'talk to your neighbor' is a lost art. People don't even know who lives next to them etc. So to a degree I actually think it commendable that some people still live a way of life in which they expose themselves to others. Yes, under the mantle of religion, but even that is a form of outreach and I won't knock that.

There are many forms of people having lived a life that included 'randomly knocking at someone's door'- even free of religion and I won't knock that either.

c8f4ea6cad39bae3fd017ada3396b02bfa8b1590.jpg

^^^And I bet a lot of people would also react grimly to a bunch of carpenter apprentices whose job it is to randomly seek out locals and offer their work in return for food and shelter as part of their 'traveling years'.

Different folks live different lives. If I don't agree with something, just say no thank you and no harm is done.

I love your post. I adore the way you embrace the multi-cultural/religious area you live in. I am jalous as I am sure you see the beauty of life in its many different ways and perspectives everyday.

Bless your soul and bless your community

In my country they are mainly considered a sect. But not only them, but also churches which would be considered mainstream in the US are considered sects here. Eg. pentecostal evangelical churches. Though people get more used to them by now. Right after the fall of the iron curtain when they were a relatively new phenomenon here, there was more of a "dangerous sects" panic here over them. Most people here are either Catholics or Calvinists, these more traditional denominations are the mainstream churches here.

JamesDean;3609142 said:
I love your post. I adore the way you embrace the multi-cultural/religious area you live in. I am jalous as I am sure you see the beauty of life in its many different ways and perspectives everyday.

Bless your soul and bless your community

Gosh, thank you. My description sounds very multicultural and diverse- I just try not to let the loud 'I condemn you to hell for yxz" people get to me as one visit to the local Zoo will show you how many different people actually live here. This place is considered a conservative Christian place- yet I see plenty of other people here as well. I even drove past a Bahái temple the other day- and a Hindu temple as well- in a place that is considered the Bible belt of the US.

As grating as some of the hardcore conservatism is in my area- religious freedom does also mean the religious freedom of others. Or the freedom to be free of religion. Even Baptist Hospitals will offer multi-faith chaplaincy, and ask what/if anything in that regards needs to be known and respected about you- or if you have no such preferences.

respect77;3609145 said:
In my country they are mainly considered a sect. But not only them, but also churches which would be considered mainstream in the US are considered sects here. Eg. pentecostal evangelical churches. Though people get more used to them by now. Right after the fall of the iron curtain when they were a relatively new phenomenon here, there was more of a "dangerous sects" panic here over them. Most people here are either Catholics or Calvinists, these more traditional denominations are the mainstream churches here.

Yeah, that's true, too. I noticed the huge presence of Calvinists in Ukraine, too after the fall of the iron curtain. (after the Orthodox Russian and Orthodox Ukrainian churches sort of had a revival)

I remember that most Germans considered anything outside of Atheism, Catholicism and Protestant churches they are familiar with 'sects'. Baptists would be cause for raised eyebrows as well.

Last edited:

Yes indeed. Stupid. The belief that I need to be harassed and told I'm going to hell and need to be saved is indeed completely stupid. That's the specific belief I was talking about. Not the belief in God (or a God), which is something I described as being 'illogical'.

I already explained the 'stupid' and 'BS' part. As for the 'crazy lunatics', pay attention to what I said... The question of the topic is 'How are Jehovah's Witnesses perceived in your country?' and my answer was...

You must excuse me if I find your post humourous. I often find it strange and hypocritical when people condemn another group of people for a set of beliefs or for things they "say" someone told them when they do not even believe in those things. You said some Witnesses told you that you needed to be saved or you were going to go to hell. One of two things happened:

1 You are making up the whole encounter
2 You didn't listen to a thing they said and used your imagination about what other religions believe and ascribed it to Witnesses.

Witness will NEVER tell you what you said (so yes, I am calling you out as lying) because we do not believe in hell in that matter nor do we believe in being "saved" to reach salvation. Being as such I find it quite surprising (not really) that you will go on a message board spreading things that did not take place and then calling what someone believes as BS when it is obvious that you have no idea what they believe.

And, I am sorry if you misunderstand the very nature of what faith is. It is not based mysticism or just belief for us, faith is "the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld." Meaning BECAUSE of your past experience and because of what has been evidently demonstrated you can readily expect for future events to unfold much like past events. It is not illogical at all but founded in logic and reason. it is not something I would expect you to understand since you so readily go around condemning what you don't understand and do not know because you do not understand and do not know. Sounds logical to you?

Oh yeah. And when they don't "catch" you, it's not uncommon for them to litter your doorstep with their "literature." It'd be one thing if you were a member of their church and they delivered freebies to your door that you'd obviously have an interest in, but it'd be another breed of cat when they plainly litter your porch/doorstep/etc. with said books just because they feel like it.

I could be wrong but I highly doubt they leave a vast number of magazines at your door since we are told NOT to do that. That we should physically talk to someone before we think of leaving literature. It could be possible someone is not followig procedure, but this is not common.

If they didn't go door-to-door attempting to preach their beliefs unto unwilling ears [only to have the door unceremoniously shut in their faces, or worse, depending on what mood I'm in and how energetic and up for a run the German Shepherd/Pit bull/Doberman feels] or try to affect legislation to force their personal philosophies as dictated by some book or collection of books on the general population, NO ONE would be bothered by religious people. However, as a group, religious people often attempt to transgress upon the civil rights of others to satiate their personal philosophy's demands. If they dedicated every fibre of their being to ensure their OWN lives were in accordance to the teachings of their choosing, I honestly wouldn't give a f--k, good for them, different strokes for different folks, etc.

However, when they try to push said teachings on me and make a theocracy out of our government, we will have a problem.

Also, the judging, most often vocal. I don't judge them for shaping their life around some ancient book/set of books, so they shouldn't judge me for living my life the way I choose, provided it does not hurt anyone else, etc.

If you feel you have to hide in your home from harmless people, that is your problem and is not necessary. By your not coming to the door you are actually hastening their return. It is the goal to speak to everyone at least once. When someone does not answer the door, we are to go back until we speak to someone. As some advice, if you really do not want them to come again, firmly tell them you are not interested in what they have. Tell them you do not want them to come back to your door again. They are supposed to listen when this request is given and not just ignore. (I know I take it seriously as I don't want to impose unnecessarily on someone and detrscts from the message.) They absolutely do not try to make a theocracy out of anything. What would be the point? We don't believe in man's governments that way. However, if there are laws in a country that guarantees certain basic rights or if our rights are trampled on in anyway that is inhumane, you better believe we will use those same laws to plead our case. That works out for the best of everyone when you reinforce human rights.

As to the charge of them pushing their beliefs on you, they are not in a position. It is not like we own television and repeat the same things on Tv until we convert the masses. If you don't want to listen to them, you don't have to. Very simple. I live in NY and someone is always trying to talk to you about something. If I don't want to hear it, I just keep it moving.

I am really trying to temper what I say here for the sake what is correct. I am really, really trying to work on tempering my tongue. however, some are so melodramatic and it is not even that serious. But whatever.

Probably mainly the situation is how you explain it. Whole idea is ok to get people informed at least once imo. Severus and you portray same thing in different light. Lol. Though if some people are threatening you about hell and doesn't give peace even if you ask them to, imo it is wrong. Hopefully, that doesn't happen much.

They are not too popular around here. Brazilian ppl are very liberal and are not bound to be connected to a religion that put up boundaries around their freedom.

The first few times, one ought to say "no, thank you" and shrug it off, yes. However, when they go out of their way to come back despite being repeatedly told not to do so in some fruitless endeavour to save you from the licking flames of Hell, (Michigan), then something a bit firmer than a "no, thank you" will be the soupe du jour at my place.

Pace said:

Indeed, but when their lives as a group consist of not respecting your difference from them and telling you why you're going to Hell, (Michigan) if you do not live as they do, and when they constantly meddle in government business, I think it ought to be spoken against.

With that said, I think Jehovah's Witnesses go through a lot of unnecessary persecution. Other religious groups think they're somehow better than them, when in fact they're strikingly similar, only the JW are more forthcoming in their whole door-to-door thing and littering public places with pamphlets, etc. Evangelical Christians are known for doing exactly the same, and yet they are more respected, only because there's more of them.

So in that regard I do think JW are unfairly judged.

I could be wrong but I highly doubt they leave a vast number of magazines at your door since we are told NOT to do that. That we should physically talk to someone before we think of leaving literature. It could be possible someone is not followig procedure, but this is not common.

It is around here, and that is how I inexplicably ended up with several issues of The Watchtower and some random books whose names escape me, along with a copy of the bible, and I will not say what ensued afterwards lol. It could be the group in my area is not following the protocol, but theoretical and practice often differ, and it is not uncommon to find sections don't give a crap about what you are or aren't supposed to do and do what they will anyway. They also are known for leaving tracts and other such things in public places, to my annoyance. They leave them at this one Chinese buffet I go to all the time more than at any other place, for some reason.

Also, I didn't say JW specifically were trying to create a theocracy. That was a commentary on religious people in general, especially those of the Judeo-Christian persuasion. Jehovah's Witnesses actually come in pretty low in my list of annoyances, they're annoying and persistent, yes, but they don't dominate the country [so far]. That was just a commentary on the way religious people seem to want to affect political legislation in a place which is supposed to separate the state from the church, and while JW may make up a fraction of said people, the comment was meant towards the religious in general.

As a final note, thank goodness they don't come around here anymore. I don't like to talk to people as it is, especially when they're strangers at my door who already see the world 180 degrees different from me and are looking to preach at me.

Some of their pamphlets and tracts are pretty amusing, though. I admit it is a guilty pleasure of mine to pick them up at offices if I see them and read a poorly crafted argument about why my bisexuality is wrong, or why I shouldn't listen to rock and roll. Lol.

Last edited:
Here, they are not legally a sect, but many people think they are, and they are not very popular. One reason is door to door , the other reason is the "social exclusion" : not celebrating birthdays, or christmas, things like that.
For example, Christmas here is a not really a religious holiday anymore for most people, it's a family / friends gathering. A time to get together, offer gifts, etc.. that a lot of people celebrate, even if they are not practising catholics.

Not attending is seen by most people as something very sad, self exclusion, even selfish.

I saw it happen in a friends family, in which 2 persons became JW, and stopped attending birthday celebrations, christmas, etc.. The rest of the family doesn't accept it, they feel excluded, and are really sad about it. It has created a sort of rift within that family. They feel, and I agree with that, that a religion should not come betwen you and your friends or family. If it does, then things are going too far.

I use to see a lot more JWs but not so much any more. I just tell them Im Chrsitian and alread have my faith
and take one of their booklets to read. They are always very nice but I guess they can seem a bother at times.
Im not offended by them. I feel The are trying to do what they feel is righ and good.

Michael wrote about his experience and seemed to enjoy visiting homes
and teaching Gods word to others. He was very into his faith

Just to interject a little humour -
I laughed so hard when i saw this Im sure he also experienced the same -
JW.jpg

You must excuse me if I find your post humourous. I often find it strange and hypocritical when people condemn another group of people for a set of beliefs or for things they "say" someone told them when they do not even believe in those things. You said some Witnesses told you that you needed to be saved or you were going to go to hell. One of two things happened:

1 You are making up the whole encounter
2 You didn't listen to a thing they said and used your imagination about what other religions believe and ascribed it to Witnesses.

Witness will NEVER tell you what you said (so yes, I am calling you out as lying) because we do not believe in hell in that matter nor do we believe in being "saved" to reach salvation. Being as such I find it quite surprising (not really) that you will go on a message board spreading things that did not take place and then calling what someone believes as BS when it is obvious that you have no idea what they believe.

You must have missed this part of my post...

And, I am sorry if you misunderstand the very nature of what faith is. It is not based mysticism or just belief for us, faith is "the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld." Meaning BECAUSE of your past experience and because of what has been evidently demonstrated you can readily expect for future events to unfold much like past events. It is not illogical at all but founded in logic and reason. it is not something I would expect you to understand since you so readily go around condemning what you don't understand and do not know because you do not understand and do not know. Sounds logical to you?

Not at all.

Back