Ola Ray "Thriller" Co-Star Heads to Jury Trial with Michael Jackson's Estate [Case Settled]

Bubs

Proud Member
"Thriller" Co-Star Heads to Jury Trial with Michael Jackson's Estate
Since co-starring alongside Michael Jackson in the immensely popular "Thriller" video, Ola Ray has fought an uphill battle to collect royalties that she alleges have been unpaid. Despite heading to trial with Jackson's estate, Ray insists she maintains only love and respect for the late pop star. “Ms. Ray simply wants Jackson’s estate to honor the terms of her employment agreement so that she may move on with her life,” asserts Jose A. Trejo of Trejo Law Corporation, her entertainment attorney in the matter.

Jackson and Ray on the set of "Thriller" in 1983.
"[Michael Jackson] really did his personal best to help me while he was alive," states Ray. “Unfortunately, the people handling his estate have not been acting according to his wishes since his death.”
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) April 19, 2012

After nearly 30 years of royalty struggles, Ola Ray, the woman who famously appeared alongside Michael Jackson in the immensely popular "Thriller" music video, finally heads to a jury trial with the Jackson estate on April 30, 2012 alleging breach of contract (Case No. SC102953). Since co-starring alongside Michael Jackson in "Thriller," which many would call the most revered music video of all time, the former Playboy Playmate has fought an uphill battle to collect royalties that she claims have not been paid over the past decades. After finally going the distance with her entertainment lawyer, Ray's long ordeal is coming to a close.

Ray, 51, was just 23-years-old when she appeared alongside Jackson in "Thriller" and frightened children worldwide with her piercing scream. Since its release in 1983, the video has enjoyed countless airings and financial success that has far exceeded any video in music history. Its signature “zombie dance” has been emulated worldwide and the "Thiller jacket" that Jackson wore in the video is one of the most popular articles of clothing ever worn. The short film has even garnered federal recognition, having recently been inducted for preservation in the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress.

According to court documents, Ray’s original employment contract for "Thriller" allegedly entitles her to a specified percentage of the revenue derived from the video and related merchandise; however, even though the short film has reportedly made millions, Ray asserts the Jackson estate has not paid her regular royalties since the 1980s.
Despite her ongoing litigation battles with the Jackson estate, Ray claims she has never held any ill feelings towards the late pop star personally.

“I have always loved Michael Jackson and thank him for the opportunity of a lifetime to be part of such an iconic piece of music history,” states Ray. “Michael would always re-release ‘Thriller’ in different packages so that I would get my royalties. He really did his personal best to help me while he was alive. Unfortunately, the people handling his estate have not been acting according to his wishes since his death.”

Ray was a huge fan of Jackson even before landing the role in "Thriller." As the June 1980 Playboy Playmate, her centerfold listed the King of Pop as one of her favorite entertainers. Understandably, Ray was on cloud nine when she beat hundreds for the opportunity to star alongside her idol. She claims to have nothing but fond memories and admiration for MJ.

“Michael was one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met,” recalls Ray. “We would run around the set and play like kids. When he passed away, I was devastated. I had lost a friend.”

In the digital age, primarily since Jackson’s passing in 2009, the pop star’s estate has allegedly profited greatly from the exploitation of "Thriller." For example, the video has been one of the best-selling music videos in iTunes history. Ray continues to be adamant that she has not received a cent from any revenue related to "Thriller" since 1999.
Trejo Law Corporation, a Beverly Hills law firm specializing in entertainment law, recently revealed its representation of Ola Ray and the interesting details of her case. “Ms. Ray simply wants Jackson’s estate to honor the terms of her employment agreement so that she may move on with her life,” asserts Jose A. Trejo, the entertainment attorney representing Ray in the current matter. “The estate cannot continue to exploit ‘Thriller’ and neglect to pay Ms. Ray the royalties to which she is contractually entitled.”

After decades of legal struggles with Jackson and his estate, Ray seems optimistic that the ordeal is nearing an end.
“I am very thankful that Michael cast me as his girlfriend in ‘Thriller’ and I cherish the memories. I just want what’s owed to me," insists Ray. "I am looking forward to having my day in court and putting this matter behind me very soon.”

Ola Ray currently resides in Sacramento, California with her 17-year-old daughter. Jose A. Trejo is an entertainment attorney at Trejo Law Corporation, an entertainment law firm located in Beverly Hills, California.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/trejolawcorporation/olaraythriller/prweb9412662.htm

Re: "Thriller" Co-Star Heads to Jury Trial with Michael Jackson's Estate

Funny cause last time she filed this and later dropped it saying it was sony who owed her and not michael. as soon as the estate starts making money she changes her tune. whatever ola. let her have her day in court

I have a feeling that Ola is going to lose the case. Branca was the one who was dealing with Thriller and knows in inside out what went on.
At least Ola is going to get some exposure out of it if nothing else.

According to docs, 2011 she got paid 75 thousand, and she is looking to get 2.5% of Thriller cross earnings.

Last edited:

I hope she lose. She don't deserve anything. She can go to playboy again if she wants money and leave Michael alone. Just another leech.

she says that the reason that the thiller album kept getting re releasing was cuz michael helping her get paid.........ummm why doesnt sound right...lol

First of all, wasn't Ola crying for her alledged payment while Michael was still alive? I do recall reading about her lawsuit while Michael was still alive.

It appears that she has now changed the story to being that she was being paid while Michael was alive and now THE ESTATE is not paying her what she claims is rightfully her's.

I don't know, something sounds fishy to me. Hopefully somebody will obtain and post her contract and we can see for ourselves exactly what it contains. I mean, I really can't see The Estate of Michael Jackson going to court if in fact Ola Ray has a legitimate claim to Thriller monies.

On a side note: I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that out of the kindness of his heart, our dear sweet Michael MAY have helped her out financially from time to time, when she was going through her well documentated "troubles." And she has changed that kindness into, "he was paying me royalties for my appearance in Thriller."

Yeah she filed a suit years ago. then i think she dropped it saying sorry to mj that it was sony and not mj that hadnt paid her

I guess she's entitled to her day in court. Just a shame that the estate will still have to pay for a defense of this. Maybe they can get costs if Miss Ray loses.

"He really did his personal best to help me while he was alive," states Ray. “Unfortunately,
the people handling his estate have not been acting according to his wishes since his death.”
Her comment saying MJ always did his best and Estate is holding back is BS

In 2007 she apologise to MJ for saying he owned her money that it was someone else not paying the royalies
(very end of video)

[video=youtube_share;YecYz4N8plM]http://youtu.be/YecYz4N8plM[/video]

Then in May of 2009 once she knows he is having a comeback she trys to sue him

Tuesday, May 5, 2009, 8:26 PM
Gloves are off! 'Thriller' co-star Ola Ray sues Michael Jackson for royalties
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/g...kson-royalties-article-1.374275#ixzz1sV2WVIr9

LOS ANGELES - The former Playboy centerfold who played Michael Jackson's crush in his legendary "Thriller" video wants a jury to end her nightmare of trying to collect royalties.

Ola Ray, 48, filed a lawsuit in Santa Monica, Calif., Tuesday claiming Jackson deadbeat when it comes to paying for her her famous strut and blood-curdling scream in the 14-minute zombie fest.

"She just wants to get her fair share of payments from this extremely successful project that she's very proud of," her lawyer Jason Feldman told the Daily News. "She did receive some payments early on, but we don't believe they were complete, and they were never timely."

A Jackson attorney reportedly paid an unspecified amount to Ray through the Screen Actors Guild in 1998, but payments to date have fallen short, Feldman said.

"We're expecting it to be a significant sum that she's owed," he said. "The video continues to sell a lot worldwide and was just released again for it 25th anniversary."

He said licensing of the video's content and images to various DVDs and video games might also add up to a "substantial sum."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/g...kson-royalties-article-1.374275#ixzz1sV4UpgDj
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/g...kson-royalties-article-1.374275#ixzz1sV2WVIr9

Yeah she filed a suit years ago. then i think she dropped it saying sorry to mj that it was sony and not mj that hadnt paid her

I wish we knew what the estate's position is. If they feel she is not entitled to what she claims, what documents prove that?

:puke: I am stunned she has the nerve to think that she is so important to the success of "Thriller" that without her it would not have been an instrumental landmark in music history !! What planet is she on anyway, she does understand she is a MUSIC VIDEO bit player and it could have been anyone maybe even someone who had some class and dignity and would not have developed such a money hungry craving attitude because she was next to an angel like Michael !! I don't remember her scream and that to me means next to Michael she is forgettable, so if that is her evidence of self-importance she has had enough accolades in her once bright moment in the spot light ! I want her to have her day in court just like everyone else, because then she can float off into the life she is making for herself and get off the Michael Gravy Train and stay in the past where she belongs !! Get her in, tell her that her dreams of a HUGE PAY OUT are finally and mercifully OVER and to get a job this is 2012 not 1980's !! The faster she gets in front of a Judge the faster she can face reality !! Your wrapped and exit stage left empty handed !! To the left to the left OLA !!

I am sorry I just can't stomach her another minute !! Michael blessed her like no other and all she can do is talk about the "MONEY THAT IS OWED TO HER" and in the same mouth she says she loves Michael :busted::blink::mat:

Jammone :agree: April 30, 2012 !!
*poof* be gone OLA !!

Last edited:

emoticons_487_0484.gif

Why does she have to get money from Michael? I am confused. I never paid much attention to her in the video lol.

Why does she have to get money from Michael? I am confused. I never paid much attention to her in the video lol.

We all want to know what her contract stated that would enable her to continue to get large sums of money from Michael/estate. Hopefully this mystery will soon be revealed.

If she had a legitimate argument the estate would have paid. the fact they are taking this to trial says it all

If she had a legitimate argument the estate would have paid. the fact they are taking this to trial says it all

I agree and have also said as much.

I mean, we all know that The Estate of Michael Jackson has paid out many claims over the last few years. IF they were definitely entitled to those monies, The Estate paid up. There is definitely a reason The Estate is not paying Ola Ray and why they are allowing this case to proceed.

To date, unless I missed it, I have yet to hear her attorney saying SPECIFICALLY that her contract entitles her to A, B, C, and D. He's talking but he ain't really saying anything. Reminds me of Raymone Bain, saying that Michael owed her all of this money, but then MJ's attorney comes in and confirms, with a signed document, what really went down and that Bain had ALREADY been paid. Remember that.

^ Yes, that bain $multi-million lawsuit landed on mj's doormat the same time as orla ray's - as if mj hadn't had enough on his plate the month before he died. Landis filed a lawsuit earlier on in 09 re royalties for thriller - he was claiming 50% - and saying he hadn't been paid for a few years. Considering the number of different managers/accountants mj had in the last few years, i can imagine some accounting re royalties getting lost in the mix. However, i find it odd that a young actress/model would get 2.5% of royalties rather than just a one-off payment, sounds like quite alot for some running around and screaming. Although I remember reading vincent price was offered a royalty deal for his 'rap' on thriller but he took a one-off payment of $20,000 which he lived to regret.

So many people have changed their tune after Michael's passing and Ola is one of them.

“Michael would always re-release ‘Thriller’ in different packages so that I would get my royalties. He really did his personal best to help me while he was alive. Unfortunately, the people handling his estate have not been acting according to his wishes since his death.”

Bahaha! What a load of baloney. She was suing Michael himself as recent as 2009, mere days before his death -->http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009-05-06/gossip/17924065_1_michael-jackson-royalties-video

“Michael would always re-release ‘Thriller’ in different packages so that I would get my royalties. He really did his personal best to help me while he was alive. "

She makes it sound like the only reason for Michael to re-releaed Thriller is that she get her royalties:)

When was thriller ever re released in diff packages except for the 25th edition. the video wS played on music stations regardless. yeah her statement sounds stupid

^ Yes, that bain $multi-million lawsuit landed on mj's doormat the same time as orla ray's - as if mj hadn't had enough on his plate the month before he died. Landis filed a lawsuit earlier on in 09 re royalties for thriller - he was claiming 50% - and saying he hadn't been paid for a few years. Considering the number of different managers/accountants mj had in the last few years, i can imagine some accounting re royalties getting lost in the mix. However, i find it odd that a young actress/model would get 2.5% of royalties rather than just a one-off payment, sounds like quite alot for some running around and screaming. Although I remember reading vincent price was offered a royalty deal for his 'rap' on thriller but he took a one-off payment of $20,000 which he lived to regret.

Ture and Vincent Price was a well known star unlike Ray. Another thing is why are they calling her co-star. She was simple a person hired to be in a video with Michael. Price was more a star than she was. She changes her stories and talks too much. One of the reasons Michael stayed away from her after the video was because she began blabbing to the media about a relationship that was only in her mind. Michael likes his privacy and that was the end of OOO'La.

I will be rooting for the estate on this one. These folk never give up and it's always about the mighty dollar.

One of the reasons Michael stayed away from her after the video was because she began blabbing to the media about a relationship that was only in her mind. Michael likes his privacy and that was the end of OOO'La.

Are you sure you're not thinking of tatania from TWYMMF, petrarose? Don't think ola ray talked about anything relating to her and mj until after he died, and it was all pretty harmless stuff. I've got to admit i liked it when she said that mj was really taken with her being a playboy model, contradicting john landis who claimed that he was worried about ray being a playboy centrefold as mj wouldn't have a clue about what that meant - i guess he didn't know mj was visiting the playboy mansion in the 70s.

However, i find it odd that a young actress/model would get 2.5% of royalties rather than just a one-off payment, sounds like quite alot for some running around and screaming. Although I remember reading vincent price was offered a royalty deal for his 'rap' on thriller but he took a one-off payment of $20,000 which he lived to regret.

Me too. I always thought random people appearing in music videos always got a one-off payment. Didnt know there were even cases where they could get royalties for years.

contradicting john landis who claimed that he was worried about ray being a playboy centrefold as mj wouldn't have a clue about what that meant - i guess he didn't know mj was visiting the playboy mansion in the 70s

Its amusing to me how ppl like to try and downplay michael s knowledge bout women & playboy but yet i think he would have to be the number 1 person to know bout that stuff considering his childhood in the fame spotlight.

Are you sure you're not thinking of tatania from TWYMMF, petrarose? Don't think ola ray talked about anything relating to her and mj until after he died, and it was all pretty harmless stuff. I've got to admit i liked it when she said that mj was really taken with her being a playboy model, contradicting john landis who claimed that he was worried about ray being a playboy centrefold as mj wouldn't have a clue about what that meant - i guess he didn't know mj was visiting the playboy mansion in the 70s.

Bonnie no I am talking about Ola. This was in the 80's during the Thriller era. Remember Michael was low key and did not expose his private life. The media was hungry for love interests of Michael because they were going with the gay scenarios. Ola began talking about how they were dating, and when Michael found out he cooled off towards her. She found that she could not get him on the phone anymore.

8701 yes people act like Michael does not know a lot about the birds and the bees. Michael went to adult parties from a young age. He was at the Playboy mansion, Studio 54 in the 70s/80s and we all know about these places. Further, as you said imagine what he saw at the clubs he worked in as a child, which he talked about in his book. I think people mix up not being promiscuous with not having knowledge.

Last edited:

8701 yes people act like Michael does not know a lot about the birds and the bees. Michael went to adult parties from a young age. He was at the Playboy mansion, Studio 54 in the 70s/80s and we all know about these places. Further, as you said imagine what he saw at the clubs he worked in as a child, which he talked about in his book. I think people mix up not being promiscuous with not having knowledge.

Yes i remember what he wrote in his book and its like ppl just dont wanna give michael any credit whatsoever bout anything its so frustrsting

she needs to get off her dead ass and do her own job.

She more then likely had a deal like Vincent Price. A one time payment and that was it.

This case is going on trial on Monday, wonder will it take more than one day:)

Bubs;3625660 said:
Jackson and Ray on the set of "Thriller" in 1983.
"[Michael Jackson] really did his personal best to help me while he was alive," states Ray. “Unfortunately, the people handling his estate have not been acting according to his wishes since his death.”

After nearly 30 years of royalty struggles, Ola Ray, the woman who famously appeared alongside Michael Jackson in the immensely popular "Thriller" music video, finally heads to a jury trial with the Jackson estate on April 30, 2012 alleging breach of contract (Case No. SC102953). Since co-starring alongside Michael Jackson in "Thriller," which many would call the most revered music video of all time, the former Playboy Playmate has fought an uphill battle to collect royalties that she claims have not been paid over the past decades.

After reading the press release again I notice 2 things:

First Ola Ray blames The Estate for not paying her, not following Michael's wishes. What wishes were those? She makes it "seem" as if she was being paid royalties, and when The Estate of Michael Jackson took over, THEY stopped paying her.

Secondly, she claims that this is a DECADES old battle. The above states that it has been "a 30 year struggle." Which means to me, that she was NEVER paid any royalties, and she wasn't paid because she wasn't supposed to be paid any royalties.

Does anybody remember her claiming any royalties, DECADES AGO? I certainly do not.

(I "think" Michael may have helped her out financially, when she was going through her troubles, but that was out of the kindness of his heart, and had nothing to do with royalties, in my opinion.)

Back