In Loving Memory of the cut acts in the Cirque du Soleil Michael Jackson Immortal World Tour

PurpleParrot

Proud Member
I've seen the Immortal World Tour 6 times up until now. I love the show, I support the show, I have extraordinary memories of my experiences with the show, but I have to vent my frustration about the changes and the decisions made about what should stay in the show, and what should leave, about what was already cut, and what will soon be cut.

I've been lucky enough to see the last rehearsal in Quebec city, Canada, 1 week before the actual World Premiere in Montreal on October 2nd 2011. I watched the show very seriously, and I've been writting every single detail I could while watching it, so I would keep forever the memories of all the things I saw. I never thought I would re-read it today and be sad, realizing that my favorite moments of the show doesn't exists anymore, and that my other favorites will soon be gone.

It may sound exagerated, but my affection for this show goes beyond my fandom, my love for Michael Jackson and his music, this show has become a part of my life as I've seen it couple of times and have amazing memories of all the time spent with other fans when seeing it, and I have to say it, I feel hurt, saddened and feel it with a certain violence, that the show I've been supporting so much, that the majority of fans have supported so much, is slowly becoming a shadow of itself.

I agree the ''epic'' numbers with the ''epic'' songs are still there, that the artists who slowly became spoke persons of the show are still there (and they are adorable, nothing bad about them), but let me do the before and after...

First of all, during all the build up before the Premiere, from day 1 of publicity about the making of the show, they showed us the Giving Tree, the centerpiece of the show, the soul of the show, the spirit of Michael embodied in this tall, grand, majestic Giving Tree. Being a commited Michael Jackson fan for years, I know that for many fans, seeing this Giving Tree made them breathe easier, being comforted that this show was going where it should be going, a true celebration of not only the music, but the man that was Michael Jackson.

The Giving Tree was at the Quebec last rehearsal in September, it was at the World Premiere in Montreal for the 2 shows there, I think it was in Ontario too.... and then it vanished. Fans were freaking out because the show was supposed to be around the idea of this meaningful tree...

The Giving Tree never came back. It was too complicated to move from city to city, and probably not safe enough for the dancers, or just got broken.

We mourned the Giving Tree, we accepted his departure, and we enjoyed the rest of the show, even if that left a hole. When you're being told over and over that this is the soul of the show, you do feel the soul of the show is gone when the Tree leaves.

I saw the show again twice in March in Quebec city, I knew there would be no Giving Tree and I knew some of the cast has changed since October. I just wasn't prepared for the many other changes that happened since the last time.

One of the first act, Childhood, had a Mini-Michael in a balloon flying over the crowd. The Mini-Michael wasn't in the balloon anymore, only a heart attached at the bottom of the balloon. Ok, not that bad, must have been technical problems with that. Now, in May, there is no balloon at all, just the glowing heart coming from the roof.

There was less apparitions of the ''fanatics'' those dancers/clowns that came here and there during the show, trying to enter Neverland to access the magic of it. I didn't mind that much about that either, since I thought they had too much time on stage and I prefered to see acrobats, dancers etc. But still, they were making a contact with the public, so they weren't completely useless in the show.

The number after Dancing Machine, ''Ben'' had all the 2 stages full of beautiful action when the show began in October, there were acrobats doing percussion, colorful animals walking around the stage, it was really exotic and dreamy, beautiful. In March, this number got highly amputated. Nothing was happening on the main stage, no animals except 2 elephants, there was now a curtain so we wouldn't see that the main stage is empty. Only there was the main character, the mime, and Bubbles, with the elephants... and this part now lasts about 30 seconds compare to almost the entire song before. First real scar.

The cast changes in the Jackson 5 number is actually good and makes the number better in my own humble opinion. It's ''cleaner'', less clownesque, but it could have been more that just performing 3 snippets of J5 songs dressed in J5 clothing. Still, that one is ok.

Of course, the fact that there was no more Giving Tree changes the whole Thriller number, since its branches used to move down the stage to make a giant spider shape on which the dancers were performing the famous dance routine. In March, the dancers were simply coming out from behind the stage and on the sides, and they dance on the stage, it looked empty and didn't have as much WOW factor as it had with the Giving Tree, but if it's for their security, then fine. Another little scar there too though.

Another slightly change I noticed was during You Are Not Alone, before, there was a light/image of waterfalls on all of the crowd, now there isn't, only the screen on the stage showing water, while the crowd waits for the next number, listening to Michael's beautiful voice.

During Beat It, there was some giant iconic pieces on stage, a big hat, a big glittering glove, and big shoes. The big hat wasn't there anymore in March. Well, I can deal with it.. but it's one other stuff that's not there anymore.

My biggest deception was during the number for Earth Song. This is probably the number that moved me the most in September/October, there was such a raw, real and deep emotion in this number, it moved me more than any other number of the show. There was the mime on the center stage, surrounded by dancers, and somewhere in the song, a tree trunk with ropes as roots comes down the roof, the mime gets stuck in the roots, is prisonner of them, and he agressively tries to get out of it, screaming, turning. This was so poignant!

In March, there was no tree trunk, no roots, no mime in the air, just the dancers around the mime holding a ball looking like the Earth, the number is still emotionnal, but it is NOTHING compared to what it was before the changes. In my little book where I was writting everything, I wrote a ''10 star'' next to it. Now it's gone. Huge scar here. Huge.

After the Scream number, there used to be a Gone Too Soon number, which was maybe not the most dynamic, of course, considering the song and it's meaning now that Michael is gone, but still, it was beautifully done and original. They has huge metallic head of an elephant, a giraffe and a lion suspended in the air with an acrobat in each moving in between the metal structures. Bubbles, the mime and one of the bronze statue were also on stage. Now, this whole number doesn't exist anymore. Another scar.

After They Don't Care About Us, there is still a word that is maybe a too delicate matter for fans now to be shown alone on the screen, and it's still there, but the fact that it botters me results more of a personnal matter than an artistic mistake.

In Will You Be There, the number started in September/October with some artists dressed in white, holding a glowing red heart, and they were in the public, at the end of the arena's walkways in the middle of the stairs. In March they were starting from the ending of the Floor, and in May they were all at different places on the floor, so getting closer and closer to the stage, and further from the public. Not that disturbing, but it's one more thing separating the public from the magic.

Near the end, during the Immortal Megamix, they tried in September in Quebec to throw hugs ballons into the crowd, and that so didn't work, the balloons were way to large for the public to move them to another place. In October, they tried with smaller balls, in March, there were no more balls. I'm not sad about this one, it was way too much of a problem to coordinate compared to the fun it was bringing. So good move here.

In May 2012, still in Quebec city, I saw the show again and some slight changes were made but not for the worst. Before Can You Feel It, the ring team act, which is one of my favorite, there was only the music, the building up for the song with Victory Tour recording of ''CAAAN YOU FEEEL IIIT'' screaming and ''MICHAEL'' chanting, but people were still sitting on their chair, waiting to see what's next, now they have 2 of the musicians coming down on the main stage to get the public clapping and raising and dancing, which makes it way more dynamic for the upcoming number of the acrobats.

But there ends my joy about this number, we've just been told that this number, Can You Feel It, is going to be cut, entirely, from the show starting in Europe this fall, along with the so dynamic number that kicks the start of the show, Wanna Be Starting Something. While I'm writting this, those two acts are still performing, but after September 2nd, they won't be part of the show anymore. And by having the ring team leaving the show, it'll also need changes in Dancing Machine number, another of my favorite. UNBAREBLE scar here.

So what's left of the show? Do I still support it? Is it still worth seeing it?

Well, many numbers didn't change at all: The first number Working Day and Night, the mime coming here and there in the show, Hearthbreak Hotel, Smooth Criminal, Dangerous/InThe Closet, Another Part of Me, Human Nature, ''Ghosts Stories'' including Is it Scary, Threathened, I Just Can't Stop Loving You, I think Jam didn't change, but I could be wrong, Scream, They Don't Care About Us, and the ending of the Immortal Megamix, that being Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, Billie Jean, Black or White and the final bows on Man In The Mirror.

So, I would say the show is still worth it, but I can't help but admit that many magical moments, many ''plus'' that actually made some numbers more enjoyable and beautiful, have disapeared. I can't help but admit that I'm hurt to know that so many numbers have been changed, amputated, or simply cut from the show, numbers that maybe costed more to move from city to city, numbers that probably required a biggest technique, but numbers that people did enjoy a lot. Right now the show has been sanitized to the max, and now knowing that the Can You Feel It and the Wanna Be Starting Something numbers are gonne be cut soon too, I have some difficulties to figure out how the show is still going to bring strong emotions to the crowd instead of just joy, have people say ''Well, it was nice'' when they could have said ''Oh, that was so beautiful''.

This article may not be the best promotion for the upcoming shows, I'm completely aware of that, I'm not trying to tell people not to go see it, but I needed to vent my frustration, the fact that I'm hurt and feel betrayed about what the show is becoming. The show makes about 1 Million $ every night they perform, I can accept technical problems and security matters, but if they're cutting the show to save money, I know it's a business, but I can't take that as a good reason to slowly make this show a ghost of what it used to be. I want all the world to see the talents we've been able to see. Selfish? Maybe. Right? You decide.

I truly hope those who'll go see the Cirque du Soleil Michael Jackson Immortal World Tour will enjoy it, but I need to remember all the beautiful talents that I was able to experience, before they started the massacre.

In Loving memory of ''Ben'' long version, ''Gone Too Soon'', ''Can You Feel It'', ''Wanna Be Starting Something'', Childhood's Mini-Michael and balloons, Giving Tree, Dancing Machine's ring part, Earth Song's trunk and roots, and to all the artists and athletes who are in those numbers, Thank you for the magic.

(edit: I've been aware by friends that some of the cast are now sharing my post, so I need to add this. Just so you know, I'm not part of the show, lol, I wish!!! but I'm just a fan who happened to see the show more than once when it came near where I live, and I wrote the last rehearsal (where there was 3000 other people watching) cause I knew I would watch the show again and take the time to enjoy it entirely, and the other times, I didn't need to write anything, fans reviews and my own very good memory were enough to remember the changes. So, now that you're aware of the changes and I was able to vent my feelings about it (like.. months ago!), just go to the show and enjoy it, ok? Yes MJ fans can be THAT obsessive, and if some base their negative opinion of me on this one post, well, they obviously haven't been following the other posts about the Immortal on this forum from the beginning, so, welcome to this world hehe! ;)

Last edited:
I have tickets for the Vienna show in December. I'm very disappointed that here in Europe we won't get to see the full show. :(

It's still going to be a good show, a big show, but there's a part of me that now knows that Michael didn't care about big stuff, nor bigger.. he wanted the biggest. Period. In terms of money made, it's the biggest, but in terms of quality, it's not anymore.

I still hope you'll enjoy it a lot. :)

You are so lucky, I'm dying to see it just once. Will they revert back to the full show, with the Vegas permanent residency?

The show in Vegas will be a completely different show, not the same artsts, not the same numbers, it has nothing to do with the World tour show going on right now..

Will be interesting to see if they cut the world tour to pay the permanent show in Vegas... *scratches head*

I would really love to see the giving tree and the mime who became the trees prisoner but I can understand it can be problems with things when you have to move.
I´m happy the tour is coming to Sweden at all.

Little something checking what's left of the show in the teaser...

The first 15 seconds, those numbers will still be there and unchanged.

From 0:15 to 0:21, the Can you feel it number with the ring team will completely be removed from the show (but not the little Scream number we see in between)

From 0:21 to 0:24, will remain the same

From 0:24 to 0:27, it's WBSS number, which will also be completely removed for Europe

From 0:27 to 0:36, it should remain the same since THAT part of Dancing Machine doesn't change.

From 0:37 to 0:39, no changes except for the Twins who got fired.

From 0:39 to 0:43, THIS is the part of Dancing Machine that will be cut (you see the flying ring team behind the mime)

From 0:44 to 0:58, no changes there

At 0:59: This the Earth Song part with the mime stuck in the roots that has already been cut.

From 1:00 to 1:09, no changes

From 1:09 to 1:15, Thriller number won't ''change'' except that in the teaser you have the Giving Tree, which doesn't exist anymore.

From 1:16 to 1:40: no changes

From 1:41 til the end: you see WBSS and Can You Feel It, both will be cut for Europe, and a little of ring act in Dancing Machine, gonna be cut too, besides that, the pole dancer will still be there and besides the Giving Tree again, the rest will also stay.

If they cut so much out of the show they must add other stuff right??

PurpleParrot, thank you for telling us about this. I will see both shows when Immortal comes to Chicago and I am going to really appreciate WBSS and CAN YOU FEEL IT knowing it will be gone soon. I am so depressed about this. WBSS is a signature song of Michael's. We were singing right along with the" mama se mama sa" I have seen the show 3 times so far and CAN YOU FEEL IT and the rings performance were one of my favorites. Any chance they reconsider? SO frustrating....

Are you 100% certain that these changes are being made? If so I'm going to complain to Trading Standards because that is not the same show that they have been advertising and selling tickets for. I will definitely be considering getting my tickets refunded.

I wish I could have seen the Earth Song part you mentioned! I saw it last month at MSG and again this past Tuesday night. During Will you be there (with the glowing hearts) they did have people holding them through out the aisles and up the stairs. Not sure if they just didn't at the specific show you went to?

Are you 100% certain that these changes are being made? If so I'm going to complain to Trading Standards because that is not the same show that they have been advertising and selling tickets for. I will definitely be considering getting my tickets refunded.

most of the changes in my text are already made, the two that will be made about Can You Feel It and WBSS will be made after September 2nd, so when the show starts in Europe.

I wish I could have seen the Earth Song part you mentioned! I saw it last month at MSG and again this past Tuesday night. During Will you be there (with the glowing hearts) they did have people holding them through out the aisles and up the stairs. Not sure if they just didn't at the specific show you went to?

I'm very happy to know that the glowing hearts in WYBT were actually in the aisles at your show, maybe it was just a change in my arena, even if they did do it from the aisles before. Very happy you got to see that part right! :)

Last edited:
I think people can go to cirque du soleil website and post their concerns or find out more information regarding the cuts.

Are you going to the London show? If the show is only going to be 70-80 minutes long I am certainly getting a refund. This is disgraceful.

oh no, I can't believe what I'm reading here :( I have been looking forward to this show coming to my country, and now... Surely it will still be cool to see, but it sounds like we're getting kind of fooled here? Some great songs/acts completely dropped and others shortened :angry: No WBSS, what kind of "MJ-show" is that?? :bugeyed

At the beginning, the show was about 2 hours... With the cuts for Europe, I've been told the show (if I remember right) would last something like 70-80 minutes INCLUDING the 20 minutes break... :/

Can I ask. Who is your source?

Last edited:
Yes what is the source for all this info. ? How do we know this is reliable. I hate to see so much negativity about Immortal
Do we have some articles to link to that officially claim all these changes ? I understand the giving Tree that was done early
on within the fist few shows. It was a safety issue for the performers becuase of the differences in the way they could rig it
in various arenas or venues. I belive the rearrangement is being done to perfect thier perfomances to make a better show.

Maybe I'm mistaken about the future lenght of the show, so don't panic. Maybe it's more and I just understood wrong, but it will be shorter than it is now.
For the changes that already happened, I saw them myself, for the changes to come, an artist (acrobat) of the show told my friends and I.

I truly hope those who'll go see the show will enjoy it, a lot. If you were planning to go, please go, you'll just regret it if you don't, I just wanted to keep people informed about the changes in the show... and the way I feel about it. :)

Qbee, believe me, I also don't like negativity around the show, I've supported it so much, and I still do, and I want people who go to really enjoy themselves even knowing about the changes, and I want them to scream their support at the 2 numbers that will be cut. I guess sometimes the information brought is not always the most positive one, I have to deal with it just like you :)

I suggest people don't get a refund, go to the show, and see for yourself and enjoy what you have, still some people won't even get the chance to see it. I hope they'll replace or add some things though, but I don't think, it would take auditions, training etc... Please, to those going in Europe, keep us updated on how the show will be :)

(If someone can find a written proof of that, or if someone can ask the Cirque du Soleil or the Estate about it, I hope they'll answer, but I doubt they'll ''promote'' that they'll shorten the show, to advise people about it could be good though, I hope they do.)

And if I might add... Hmm, please don't kill the messenger ;)

Last edited:
Doesn't seem fair for Europe. When I saw the show there were already changes being made, most of the Giving Tree being gone for example. But it was there in the booklet, so I was slightly disappointed wondering why it wasn't there in the show. Still was an amazing show though. That's why I hope there will be a DVD released of the full show for all to see.

Doesn't seem fair for Europe. When I saw the show there were already changes being made, most of the Giving Tree being gone for example. But it was there in the booklet, so I was slightly disappointed wondering why it wasn't there in the show. Still was an amazing show though. That's why I hope there will be a DVD released of the full show for all to see.

Yes I too hope the DVD will have the full show, but I guess it will be a delicate decision for them, if only american continent had some numbers, but the rest of the world didn't, would they include the whole show on the DVD for the world to see they haven't seen the whole thing? Or maybe at least ut it in the bonus section, that'd be great.

Are you going to the London show? If the show is only going to be 70-80 minutes long I am certainly getting a refund. This is disgraceful.

Let me be more precise on what I said about the lenght. The show was near 2 hours in the beginning, in October, but at the moment, it's already less than that since some numbers have already been shortened (ex: Ben) or removed (ex: Gone Too Soon). So I don't want it to look like America got a 2 hours show and the rest of the world will have an hour and something, but I haven't checked last time how long it was in May, if someone who sees the show soon can tell, to give a proper measure of comparison, it would be nice. :)

I don't see how removing the ring acrobats equates to removing Can You Feel It, especially since it is already being performed without them as can be seen in this recent video.

[youtube]hQx29JBk81I[/youtube]

I don't see how removing the ring acrobats equates to removing Can You Feel It, especially since it is already being performed without them as can be seen in this recent video.

[youtube]hQx29JBk81I[/youtube]

This is what they do when the rings 'support' doesn't work, when the computer isn't able to lift it at the right height, they have to cancel the number for this particular day, and they replace it by that, some musicians and dancers filling the stage. They don't know in advance that the lift will not work properly, they know it during the I'll be there video (if I understood right), so it's at the last minute. Then Plan B has to get on stage and dance to entertain the crowd for that song.

It happened couple of times since the beginning, not often though, it did happen in Quebec last March and we got that.

That was Great "Can you feel IT - The energy in the theater is amazing :) The ring dancers dont make the Show Michael does. With or without them that number and show is very exciting and the crowd gets very emotional and involved. Please do not miss it. You will have regret if you do. I would go again if I could .

Back