My Next Book: Michael Jackson, Inc. Zack O'Malley Greenburg, Forbes Staff

Bubs

Proud Member
Zack O'Malley Greenburg, Forbes Staff

Michael Jackson, Inc: Chronicling the business of the King of Pop.

Today marks the 54th anniversary of Michael Jackson’s birth, and millions of fans around the world are celebrating the life of the King of Pop. So, I figured, what better time to announce the birth of my next book—a business-focused biography called Michael Jackson, Inc.

Scheduled to be published by Simon & Schuster’s Free Press imprint in 2014, this will be my second book, following Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went From Street Corner To Corner Office (Penguin/Portfolio, 2011). And though my Jay-Z book was well received—Bloomberg called it “one of the year’s best rock books”—I think the Jackson book will be even better, in my humble opinion.

Michael Jackson, Inc. will tell the story of the rise, fall and rise of a billion-dollar empire, focusing on how Jackson’s own underrated business savvy helped him build one of the most impressive realms in the history of entertainment. Yes, Jackson died with hundreds of millions of dollars in debt. But he also left behind at least $1 billion in assets, the result of shrewd decision-making by himself and those who guided him in the 1980s.

My research is progressing rapidly and I’ve already started writing. This summer, I’ve done reporting in Jackson’s hometown of Gary, Indiana, his adopted home of Los Angeles and even Neverland Ranch. I’ve interviewed members of his immediate and extended family; friends from childhood, adolescence and adulthood; lawyers, dealmakers, writers, producers and publicists who worked with him over the years; and representatives from his estate.

As I continue my day job as a staff writer at FORBES covering the music business, I’ve also been collecting anecdotes from the entertainers Jackson worked with over the years. Without giving anything away, let me assure you that I’m building a trove of previously unreported accounts from pop stars, rappers and rockers alike—tales that have never been told and are sure to add another layer of depth to the public perception of Michael Jackson (for a small taste, see my video with Justin Bieber below).

The inspiration for this book couldn’t have been more organic. I’ve been covering the business of Michael Jackson at FORBES for years, watching as his estate racked up roughly half a billion dollars in the three years since his death, more than any single living musician earned over the same period of time. And over and over, many of my sources—in some cases, lawyers who ended up on the opposite side of the table from Jackson—kept telling me that much of Jackson’s posthumous success had to do with smart business decisions he made early in his career.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized there was a story here that needed to be told, a counterintuitive hypothesis about one of the world’s most celebrated figures of all time. To be sure, Michael Jackson made his share of poor choices, especially later in life. I won’t shy away from those moments, but I’ll be sure to present the facts in as neutrally and unsensationally as I have in my FORBES stories over the years (see “The Shockingly Boring Truth About Michael Jackson’s Will”).

I’ve been thrilled to become acquainted with many of Michael Jackson’s fans as I’ve written those stories, and I must say I’ve never encountered a more loyal, knowledgeable and prescient group of people attached to any entertainer. A few of you even suggested that I write a business book about Jackson while I was in the process of pitching it to publishers—thank you so much for that encouragement, and please keep the comments coming. I hope you’ll understand that even as I continue to cover the business of Michael Jackson for FORBES, I’ll have to save some stories for the book!

I’ve decided to donate a portion of proceeds from my book to a good cause (for a book about Michael Jackson, it only seems fitting). I’m leaning toward a charity that would allow me to quantify the donation for readers—every book sold will translate into a meal for someone in need, or a vaccination for someone who can’t afford it, something to that effect. But I still haven’t decided on a charity, so feel free to leave suggestions in the comments field below.

If you’d like to receive email updates on the book, sign up here. Thanks for reading, and stay tuned. I promise the book will be worth the wait.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2012/08/29/my-next-book-michael-jackson-inc/

Re: My Next Book: Michael Jackson, Inc.

This sounds very promising. A topic that's not often discussed or a side of Michael that tends to get overlooked. These are the types of books we need on Michael. I'll be getting this :)

wow..., finaly something relevant...

Someone could make a list (thread) of books about Michael that worth buying and reading and having in our library.

Boy do i welcome this book. The media stripped him of everything. They painted him a monster, so no way could he be intelligent, a musical genius and fabulously wealthy too.

I'm very interested in reading Zack's book. His posts about Michael are well-written and searched, and most importantly, they come out with no snide remarks or other idiotic repetitions of what some of the authors so love to add to their posts about Michael.

Last edited:

I'm very interested in reading Zack's book. His posts about Michael are well-written andsearched, and most importantly, they come out with no snide remarks or other idiotic repetitions of what some of the authors so love to add to their posts about Michael.
:yes: I agree.

The link above to this article did not work for me. You may need to use the one below:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2012/08/29/my-next-book-michael-jackson-inc/

Last edited:

I hope he write about how the Media Bullied Michael, and his owm goverment tried to take his freedom with lies of the worse kind. How much can
any human being take?

Bravo! Hopefully this will be one that I can proudly add to my library!

That's nice. But i used to always look at Forbes, when Michael was ruling the store shelves in the 90's and 00's, and MJ was never listed in a positive sense. Every other celebrity always was listed in a positive atmosphere. The atmosphere would always make me think they were trying to convince me MJ was broke. There was never a spirit that positively emphasised MJ's staggering assets in those times. I would always see words about 'debt'... although there isn't a rich person, in history, who doesn't deliberately go into debt, as part of their shrewd thinking. Only now, does a Forbes man admit the AT LEAST billion dollars in assets. But also, even now, this man says there was a 'fall'. There never was a fall. How is there a fall with at least A Billion dollars in assets trumping debt that sums up to less? The reality is, i already know about MJ's shrewdness, and i don't need this book. This doesn't mean i don't have a forgiving spirit with Forbes, as Michael taught. I forgive them. It just means, i don't need to read about something i already know. But i love you, Forbes. Thanks for writing the book.

Last edited:

I am not at all surprised that Sneddon and his ultra conservative ties (i.e. Forbes - who even ran for office for the Republicans) wouldn't exactly celebrate Michael's business acumen back in the day. Apparently times have changed. And have no illusions about the good old conservative boys networking. Forbes means a lot Fox, Sean Hannity etc. Michael and his peace lovin' way are usually only good enough when they themselves want ratings - otherwise Michael was quite unpopular with his views.

And that looks like a Forbes contributor writing the book, not Forbes.

i know, but he plans to talk about Michael's 'poor' choices. The magazine, as a whole, used to talk about those things ALL the time. i've heard enough about that. To me, that will always be subjective. What? Is he going to talk about the 'baby on the balcony' incident again?(The crocodile hunter used to hold his child while fighting crocodiles and he was regarded as a hero, during the time) I just don't need that vibe for the one billionth time.

Well, giving Wiesner power of attorney... bad choice. Human, though. Very human. Most of us crack under half as much to oversee. Maybe that's the kind of stuff he means?

Overall, that still tiny in the overall picture- just trying relieve your anxiety on Michael's birthday, 144,000. *hands you either a drink or a flower - pick whatever applies*
I know, I know, I don't need to hear about that stuff, either, believe me. Nobody is writing about our 'poor choices' in life, ya know? So I do understand you, really.

Well, giving Wiesner power of attorney... bad choice. Human, though. Very human. Most of us crack under half as much to oversee. Maybe that's the kind of stuff he means?

Overall, that still tiny in the overall picture- just trying relieve your anxiety on Michael's birthday, 144,000. *hands you either a drink or a flower - pick whatever applies*
I know, I know, I don't need to hear about that stuff, either, believe me. Nobody is writing about our 'poor choices' in life, ya know? So I do understand you, really.

Thanks for the flower.
...And the drink. lol

You're right. It's MJ day. That's just it. I want to think all happy thoughts. All happy ones. :)

*Currently listening to 'Speechless' for the one thousandth consecutive time. No joke.*

Last edited:
I don't think this book is going to be biography of Michael's life other than business side.

"—a business-focused biography called Michael Jackson, Inc.
Michael Jackson, Inc. will tell the story of the rise, fall and rise of a billion-dollar empire, focusing on how Jackson’s own underrated business savvy helped him build one of the most impressive realms in the history of entertainment. Yes, Jackson died with hundreds of millions of dollars in debt. But he also left behind at least $1 billion in assets, the result of shrewd decision-making by himself and those who guided him in the 1980s."

So I don't think there is going to be baby-dangling moments.
Somebody posted a question to Zack about the book:
@zogblog @forbes sounds promising. Hopefully you won't go the tabloid way cause you MJ fans won't buy something like that

Zack replied:
Zack O. Greenburg ‏@zogblog
@majka__ @Forbes Don't worry, that's not my style.
------------------
Joe Vogel ‏@JoeVogel1
Congrats to @zogblog on announcing Michael Jackson, Inc.! I saw Zack's outline a while back -- his book is going to be phenomenal.

I have high hope for Zack's book, and no doubt there is going to be something that fans doesn't like to read, like some business choices he made, but like Pace said, it is very human to make mistakes.
I just hope when he writes about those bad business/partners, he'll write about the crooks around Michael:)

^ Me too. I really like zack's articles and he comes across as really nice, esp in the comments section and he seems genuinely appreciative of mj and totally aware of the anti-media bias there had been against him. However, we're all going to have to accept there'll be 'bad times' written about, mj really had appalling sets of advisers round him in the latter stages of his life, and realistically considering who he was and his early business decisions, mj should have been a multi-billionaire, rather than worth 100s of $millions.

Yes, Jackson died with hundreds of millions of dollars in debt. But he also left behind at least $1 billion in assets.

Now this just irks me, esp from a forbes writer. In debt means mj died with no money and owing millions, which zack then refutes in his next breath. He might know about the $1 billion assets but noone else in the media seems to be aware of it.

^ Me too. I really like zack's articles and he comes across as really nice, esp in the comments section and he seems genuinely appreciative of mj and totally aware of the anti-media bias there had been against him. However, we're all going to have to accept there'll be 'bad times' written about, mj really had appalling sets of advisers round him in the latter stages of his life, and realistically considering who he was and his early business decisions, mj should have been a multi-billionaire, rather than worth 100s of $millions.

Now this just irks me, esp from a forbes writer. In debt means mj died with no money and owing millions, which zack then refutes in his next breath. He might know about the $1 billion assets but noone else in the media seems to be aware of it.

oh, the media was aware of his assets. That's why so many people wanted to sue him and try to mask their attempts to steal from him. The media just wanted to deny it, that's all.

Sounds like a book I would love to read !!

This sounds very promising. A topic that's not often discussed or a side of Michael that tends to get overlooked. These are the types of books we need on Michael. I'll be getting this :)

Rhilo you know I am cautious with the post 09 books, except for the opus, Vogel, and Bush one, but this one really looks like something that brings to the reading public a more "human," and brilliant side of Michael. It seems to focus on showing a part of Michael that is not media driven. Of course when he wrote that he spoke to former business associates, family members, friends and former lawyers, such scary names like Weisner, Latoya & Janet, Depak, Klien, and Oxman came to my mind. I hope he really finds people who are true friends and that the business associates and lawyers he interviewed are ethical ones.

I hope that when he discusses the debt, he also mentions the defrauding of Michael Jackson by business associates, the countless lawsuits that drained his finances, and the debt caused by the acquisition of assets, because I am tired of the nonsense view that "overspending" caused Michael's debt.

Rhilo you know I am cautious with the post 09 books, except for the opus, Vogel, and Bush one, but this one really looks like something that brings to the reading public a more "human," and brilliant side of Michael. It seems to focus on showing a part of Michael that is not media driven. Of course when he wrote that he spoke to former business associates, family members, friends and former lawyers, such scary names like Weisner, Latoya & Janet, Depak, Klien, and Oxman came to my mind. I hope he really finds people who are true friends and that the business associates and lawyers he interviewed are ethical ones.

I hope that when he discusses the debt, he also mentions the defrauding of Michael Jackson by business associates, the countless lawsuits that drained his finances, and the debt caused by the acquisition of assets, because I am tired of the nonsense view that "overspending" caused Michael's debt.

See..basically you said in one paragraph, everything there is to know about Michael's business sense and history. Indeed, Michael's genius made it so that he could recover from all the attacks against him and his executors could have a LOT to work with. I think Michael prepared, in advance for his enemies. Very shrewd and wise. I think, deep inside, he knew that idiot radio stations would stop playing his music, when they got envious, and attempt, thereby, to make it so that people would forget about him and not buy his music, and therefore, try to make him poor. Well..it didn't work. Timeless music is timeless music. He was able to spend lots of time without making an album, because of the lasting power of his music.

See..basically you said in one paragraph, everything there is to know about Michael's business sense and history. Indeed, Michael's genius made it so that he could recover from all the attacks against him and his executors could have a LOT to work with. I think Michael prepared, in advance for his enemies. Very shrewd and wise. I think, deep inside, he knew that idiot radio stations would stop playing his music, when they got envious, and attempt, thereby, to make it so that people would forget about him and not buy his music, and therefore, try to make him poor. Well..it didn't work. Timeless music is timeless music. He was able to spend lots of time without making an album, because of the lasting power of his music. And having the Beatles and Frank Sinatra in a catalogue didn't hurt.

I agree with you. This is a man who did not make an album in a number of years, and then was able to sell out the O2 in minutes. This suggests to me that Michael has a "history" of being a superlative entertainer and music genius, and this knowledge people have of him makes them buy tickets, cd's, etc.

I agree with you about him preparing himself in advance for his enemies. He did write Leave Me Alone, so he knew what his enemies wanted--to see him broke, unable to sing, perform, and produce, and to kill himself. Didn't we see the unfounded reports that he was drugged up in his home and was on suicide watch printed in the press, all coming from mysterious family sources? He saw what happened to the legacy of dead stars, so no doubt he was able to use that knowledge to his advantage when he planned his estate.

Hi Friends,
It’s already August 30th in New York and throughout much of the world, but at Neverland, it’s still Michael Jackson’s birthday. And in honor of that, I wanted to send you an update on my progress on Michael Jackson, Inc.

First of all, thanks so much for signing up to receive updates about my book, and sorry I haven’t been sending more of them — that time has been going into researching and writing the book. It’s amazing to think that just one year ago, I was embarking on my journey. Since then, I’ve written over 75,000 words and traveled from New York to California to Indiana to Nevada to Ireland — and even to Neverland — in an effort to better capture the life of the King of Pop.

I’ve interviewed sources from Berry Gordy to Walter Yetnikoff, 50 Cent to Swizz Beatz, Bruce Swedien to Matt Forger, about 100 in all. There’s still more work to be done in the month before my book is due; it will be published next year by Simon & Schuster (stay tuned for the official release date). And don’t worry, I’m still planning to donate a portion of proceeds to a worthy cause, which I’ll announce on or around Earth Day 2014.

That’s about all I can offer at the moment — got to get back to writing the book! Thank you for your continued support, and you’ll be the first to know of future developments.

All best,Zack

…and I almost forgot to tell you: I just launched a website for the book at http://www.michaeljacksoninc.com

I’ll keep it up to date with the latest on my book, my Forbes stories and, when my book is done, some interactive features.

Enjoy, and thanks again for reading!

When the thread started in 2012, I was quite eager to get this book. Now I am rethinking, since in 2013 each time I heard this guy talk about Michael's finances or each time I read about what he had to say about Michael's finances, something irritated me. For instance, in the 60 minutes piece, he gushes about Michael being caught up the over-spending of the 80s as a partial reason for Michael's debt. He never gives the same emphasis to the following key reasons for the debt, such as acquisition loans, charity, extended family financial support. This emphasis on personal buying is becoming irksome. There are too many people who have the idea that Michael just spent all his money buying clothes & personal items or took loans to buy them, leading to his great debt when he died. I think he mentioned the allegations, which is good because paying lawyers etc cost money. However, he never mentioned the constant suing that caused money to be spent to fight claims in court. Neither did he mention about the managers like Weisner and their incompetence.

If he gives a more holistic approach to the debt, which involves the interplay of a number of factors, people, & circumstances, then I will reconsider buying this book, so I will wait and see. If he mentions a loan, I want to see why the loan was taken; what situations led to this; who was the manager at the time; what was the interest; why was it high; ect. Basically, I want a scholarly book.

Last edited:
I agree Petrarose. Michael does bare some responsibility but any book worth its salt MUST pursue the other factors that impacted on Michael's finances.

I think I will drop the author a note to that effect.

However I am still ambivalent about looking at Michael's finances. I feel I do not need to have hand in Michael's pocket, rummaging around. But I do understand that what he was able to accumulate over the years, is an integral part of his legacy.

Last edited:
Zack O. Greenburg ?@zogblog 19m
Side note: the Amazon page for my Michael Jackson, Inc book will add more details closer to launch, including a super-secret awesome cover.

Zack O. Greenburg ?@zogblog 23m
This just in: release date for my book Michael Jackson, Inc is June 3rd, 2014. So excited! Pre-order here via Amazon: http://www.mjinc.co

Update on 'MJ,Inc' via Z.Greenburg

Happy New Year! Figured this would be an excellent time to send out an update on my book, Michael Jackson, Inc -- and there's plenty of good news to share.

My publisher, Simon & Schuster's Atria imprint, has set the publication date for June 3rd, 2014. The book's hardcover edition should be available at your friendly neighborhood bookstore and through all the usual online outlets, as well as Kindle / eBook.

If you'd like to pre-order a copy on Amazon, the direct link is [removed] (and of course, feel free to share!)
Edit correct link is www.mjinc.co

I've also decided on a worthy charitable cause to which I'll donate a portion of my proceeds from sales of the book: the United Nations' World Food Programme. For each copy sold, I'll donate one meal. I decided on this approach because I believe that the unit-based donation approach has potential for widespread adoption -- 50 Cent did this with his energy shot in the hopes of persuading his competitors to do the same; perhaps I can convince some of my fellow writers. For more info, check out www.michaeljacksoninc.com/books-for-food and to make a donation to the WFP yourself, go to www.wfp.org.

It's been quite a journey researching, reporting and writing Michael Jackson, Inc. over the past two years. I've interviewed more than 100 sources and traveled from New York to many of the important places in MJ's life: Gary, Los Angeles, Neverland, Las Vegas, even the town in Ireland where he briefly lived with his children.

In the end, I think I've created a compelling portrait of the King of Pop, one of the most fascinating and complex individuals of our time. It's a book that casts some light on a side of him that few people fully understand or appreciate -- the business side -- where he was in many ways just as influential as he was on the creative side. I can't wait for you to read the book in June, and thanks for all your support along the way!

Wishing you and yours all the best in the new year,

Zack

Back