Michael Jackson's Estate Wins €5M Licensing Fight

Bubs

Proud Member

By Matthew Heller

Law360, New York (September 26, 2012, 10:22 PM ET) -- An arbitrator dismissed a German lawyer's claim for €5 million ($6.5 million) against the estate of the late Michael Jackson over a merchandise licensing agreement, according to court papers filed in California court Tuesday.

Jurgen Bachus filed the claim in July 2010 — more than a year after Jackson's death — alleging the entertainer breached the licensing agreement by failing to pay him €5 million for a 15 percent stake in his company MJ Net Entertainment AG. The agreement with Jackson's Triumph International Inc. gave MJ...

http://www.law360.com/articles/382025/michael-jackson-s-estate-escapes-6m-licensing-dispute

Unfortunately I cannot access the rest of the article, but here is some background info regarding this case:
Michael Jackson: His Creditor Juergen BACHUS (5 Millions $)

Juergen BACHUS: Creditor

Date Claim Filed: 22nd March 2010

Amount Of Claim: 5.000.000 $

Disposition of Claim: Arbitration commenced and Pending

Source/Fuente: Exhibit A of Special Administrors’ Report (page45 of 51)

Arbitration, a form of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), is a legal technique for the resolution of disputes outside the courts, wherein the parties to a dispute refer it to one or more persons (the “arbitrators”, “arbiters” or “arbitral tribunal“), by whose decision (the “award”) they agree to be bound. It is a settlement technique in which a third party reviews the case and imposes a decision that is legally binding for both sides.[1] Other forms of ADR include mediation[2] (a form of settlement negotiation facilitated by a neutral third party) and non-binding resolution by experts. Arbitration is most commonly used for the resolution of commercial disputes, particularly in the context of international commercial transactions.

Other info:

Michael Jackson and MJ Net Entertainment AG are partners

Frankfurt – On 30 September 2000 Michael Jackson personally signed a worldwide exclusive merchandising contract with the Frankurt company MJ Net Entertainment AG. MJ Net Entertainment AG now has the exclusive commercial rights and is the sole agency for Michael Jackson merchandising, licensing and franchising.

Michael Jackson is himself a shareholder in MJ Entertainment AG.

This contract, which came into effect on 15 December 2000, cancels the former agreement with Signatures Network (formerly Sony Signatures).

The contract between Michael Jackson’s company Triumph International and MJ Net Entertainment AG was signed by Michael Jackson and Juergen R. Bachus, Chairman of the Board of MJ Net Entertainment AG.

Distributed by PR Newswire on behalf of MJ Net Entertainment AGhttp://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=62781

http://malagaaunike.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/michael-jackson-his-creditor-juergen-bachus-5-millions/

Bubs;3715854 said:

I continue to applaud The Estate Of Michael Jackson. They're like superheros, busting down doors in order to protect Michael's legacy.

Anybody who plans to go up against them, better be prepared for some butt kicking. LOL!

Thanks Ivy.
Fair play to executors for not asking Jurgen Bachus to cover their fees as normally losing party would have to:bow:
I do feel for Jurgen Bachus, as it says in Consent Award (last few pages) that he is terminally ill and has insufficient assets to cover fees, costs and expenses.

Today they are in court with Tohme case, I hope something happens there.

this German deal sounds like Weisner. I am glad he lost.. he was a crook

If I understand correctly, Jurgen Bachus lost because he didn't filed his claim in due time?

^^^^Shortly put, at first he didn't sue MJ because he read it from papers that MJ had no money, but once Michael was dead and money started rolling in, he went for it.

Yeah he did this deal with mj in 2000 and only sued now. Whatever fool

Michael Jackson's Estate Cleared
on Merchandizing Agreement
By JONNY BONNER
(CN) - Michael Jackson's estate and a German lawyer filed a petition to confirm an arbitration award denying the German man's claims over a merchandising agreement that the King of Pop signed more than a decade ago.
Jurgen Bachus, chairman of MJ Net Entertainment AG, sued Jackson's estate for breach of agreement in Los Angeles Superior Court in July 2009, and submitted an arbitration demand in September 2010.
Specifically, Bachus claimed Jackson failed to pay 5 million euros for 7,500 shares of MJ Net Entertainment by Jan. 4, 2004, and said the Frankfurt business folded as a result.
Jackson, as president of his licensing company, Triumph International, personally signed an exclusive worldwide merchandising contract with MJ Net in 2000. The agreement granted MJ Net exclusive commercial rights and made it the sole agency for Jackson's merchandising, licensing and franchising.
This contract canceled an agreement with Signatures Network, formerly Sony Signatures, and included a binding arbitration clause.
In July 2011, Judge Stephen Haberfeld found during arbitration that Bachus' claims were barred by a four-year statute of limitations and "not prompt, diligent or correct." Haberfeld added that Bachus initially filed a suit for 10,000 euros in German courts to "test the waters."
Bachus countered that he waited to file a suit in California due to press reports of Jackson's financial woes, which Haberfeld said was not a "cognizable excuse for having failed to have proceeded forward on his claims at all times."
Haberfeld also noted that Bachus filed the action one month after Jackson's highly-publicized death, on June 25, 2009.
"Claimant's decision not to commence a California arbitration of his claim until he did was a risk he assumed," Haberfeld wrote.
Haberfeld dismissed Bachus' claims with prejudice, and he entered a consent award on Aug. 22.
Jackson's estate said it would not seek to recover attorneys' fees because Bachus is terminally ill and cannot cover the costs.
Bachus, represented by Roger Barton of New York and the estate's executors, John Branca and John McClain, represented by Zia Modabber, Tiffany Hofeldt and Sara Karubian with Katten Muchin Rosenman of Los Angeles, filed the petition.

http://www.entlawdigest.com/2012/09/27/1835.htm

^^^^Shortly put, at first he didn't sue MJ because he read it from papers that MJ had no money, but once Michael was dead and money started rolling in, he went for it.

UGH! what a son of gun he is

this German deal sounds like Weisner. I am glad he lost.. he was a crook

it IS Wiesner's deal with Michael!
I am astonished, when I compare the court-document about Bachus (Thanks Ivy!) and the complaint Wiesner against Michael
(you can find it here:
Complaint Filed Against Michael Jackson - ABC News)

One may think Bachus and Wiesner are the same person.

All points and amounts of money in the Bachus complaint are the same as the points and amounts of money in Wiesner's complaint.

Michael didn't know Bachus before the Licensing agreement in 2000!
But Wiesner knew Bachus!: Both are living in Rodgau, a little town with about 40 or 45 Tousand inhabitants.
MJ Net Entertainment AG in Germany was Wiesner's idea, and it was Wiesner who persuaded Michael to his infringement against sony signatures.
Bachus was not more as the front man for Wiesner..... because Wiesner is ever behint, never in front.

I'm sure MJ Net Entertainment was from the beginning nothing else as a big fraud and a plan for receiving Michaels's money.

Back