Oct. 23, 1987, MJ was in mainland China (his Chinese tourist guide show a new photo)

mkgenie

Proud Member
775adda3gw1dy4wtepg4sj.jpg

MJ and his then Chinese tourist guide Liu Guangzhi

He quietly, secretly travelled to mainland China, ruled by Communists, as an average tourist for just one day and talked to villagers in Zhongshan, Guangzhou City, China. Only a few recognized him.

He was scared by a buffalo and loved the countryside of China, he said it was like in Switzerland.

He might fly to Beijing the next day, but the weather was bad so he cancelled it.

Then he went back to Hong Kong.

After that, he never had chance to be in China again.

Miss him.

Last edited:
And I just saw the following photo on mjphotocollectors. New to me!

index.php

After that, he never had chance to be in China again.

Well, I wouldn't say he never had the chance. He had nothing BUT time between tours and down time to travel and do whatever he wanted.
He just (probably) never made it down there again.

Ah, I wish the material that's available had SOUND. I mean the footage with the buffalo, the baby, him wearing that fisherman hat, the rice fields, on the boat, sight-seeing at night, putting on those emperor like clothes and so on. I love that material, his visit seemed so mysterious and has such a wonderful aura to it..sigh. Too bad it was his only visit to the Mainland, thanks.

Well, I wouldn't say he never had the chance. He had nothing BUT time between tours and down time to travel and do whatever he wanted.
He just (probably) never made it down there again.

No
He wanted to come
but Chinese government put him on the blacklist.

Ok what? Michael was put on a blacklist by the Chinese government? ... please explain.

The ban is still there
You can see Madonna never set her foot in China, until now.

Michael was tolerated after his death.

Back then, China was a lot more closed than it is now.
Maybe Michael read a lot about the country and its history and learned quite a lot, but didn't feel that was enough.
He had the explorer in him, I'm sure :) And...I truly believe that he was and still is the ultimate definition of "a global superstar" and had the proper mindset for that title.

He quietly, secretly travelled to mainland China, ruled by Communists, as an average tourist for just one day and talked to villagers in Zhongshan, Guangzhou City, China. Only a few recognized him.
Wow, he musta pinched himself more than a few times and enjoyed the heck out of it.
Happy for him that he had such a rare opportunity.
...Oh I remember hearing that he visited some rural towns that are far from usual tourist attractions. I tip my hat to you Mike! I feel it was out of his interest in Chinese culture, and not only that, but also in "ordinary" people living everyday life.

No
He wanted to come
but Chinese government put him on the blacklist.
Isn't that the same as North Korea? there still is not allowed anything thats from outside N.K, been material product or person to enter the country.

Same was with Russia and all of the european counties that were under communism regime.

thats why even through most fans dislike the Hitory Tour, they don't understand how importand that tour was. He could visit countires for the first time that was not allowed. not only Michael, but all other west performers.

he did with Dangerous visit Russia and Romenia which was a begginig.
but with History most of former-communism contries like Czech rep., Hungary, Poland,
for the first time South Africa and many other asian countries, that were not in the Dangerous tour.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's a lot of backwards thinking countries out there.
Totally sucks that Lady Gaga, for example, had to go through so much to perform at a lot of places at the beginning of her current tour, despite selling out the stadiums.

Back