Greatest Hits : History Vol. I° 1,250,000

Number Ones : 5,000,000

The Essential : 2,100,000

This Is It : 2,000,000

Michael : 600,000

Immortal : 200,000

Source: ChartNews

Thanks for Erika23 for posting the updates on another MJ forum

As you see two of Michael's albums are certified Diamond (Thriller & Bad). OTW & Dangerous are very close to going diamond also they just needs to sell less than 2 million here in the U.S. to reach the goal

Will the RIAA update their stats? Will they issue certifications to the estate?

I dont understand why Sales thriller is so high and the others are not. Surely that fans loved all his albums.

So, if the population is around 300,000, every 10th person in the US owns Thriller album.

not bad, not bad ;)

I don't know for sure, but those sales don't seem accurate.

The Michael album was certified platinum. That means atleast 1 million copies. These numbers are not official unless RIAA issues the certifications.

The Michael album was certified platinum. That means atleast 1 million copies. These numbers are not official unless RIAA issues the certifications.

You are right.

600,000 are its Soundscan sales, the album was overshipped.

Btw you can find an exhaustive explanation of all those figures (Album by Album and Nation by Nation with official sources) in my forum

http://chartbusters.forumfree.it/?t=60966251

So does it mean that Thriller is now 30x Platinum? Or at least should be certified as such. (Officially it's still 29x). Also the certifications for Bad and Dangerous should be updated then. (Officially it's 8x and 7x, I think.) HIStory too. (Officially it's 7x - for double album certifications the sales numbers are doubled, so HIStory should be certified as 8x now, almost 9x).

So does it mean that Thriller is now 30x Platinum? Or at least should be certified as such. (Officially it's still 29x). Also the certifications for Bad and Dangerous should be updated then. (Officially it's 8x and 7x, I think.) HIStory too. (Officially it's 7x - for double album certifications the sales numbers are doubled, so HIStory should be certified as 8x now, almost 9x).

Yes, exactly.
Also ESSENTIAL should be 4xPlatinum
THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION platinum
GH HIStory is stil Gold, but platinum is overdue

Does Sony or the Estate have to pay RIAA for an update in Ceritfication though?

Yes I believe somebody pays the RIAA to officially audit the new sales totals and to issue the required certifications, that's why many albums (not just MJ's) are under certified.

Back