Bruno Mars: Every artist should want to be like Michael Jackson

billyworld99

Proud Member
HIT singer has long been a fan of the King of Pop, covering his songs and wearing his distinctive fedora-style hats and believes Jackson has set the bar for music artists.

Bruno+Mars

Bruno Mars performs during the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show in New York
BRUNO Mars claims that every artist “should always aspire to be like Michael Jackson”.

The 27-year old, from Hawaii, who was the world’s biggest-selling male act of 2011 and is about to release his second album, has long been a fan of the King of Pop.

Last Sunday evening Bruno showed The X Factor hopefuls just how to do it with an incredible performance of his current single Locked Out of Heaven, which had show favourite Jahmene Douglas tweeting about him being an “amazing performer”.

And the American owes it to Jackson, who died in June 2009. Bruno said: “I feel like he set the bar for artists. Any artist, I don’t care what genre you do, you should always aspire to be like Michael Jackson.

“Because the details, the attention to detail he did on everything he did, everything he was a part of, you can look at what made him so iconic, the glove, the hat, the dancing, the music videos, the way he sang when he sang, everything he did was Michael Jackson, and he just kind of stamped that on the world.”

Although Jackson’s life was also mired in controversy, including child molestation allegations that he was acquitted of, his music continues to inspire.

Bruno impersonated Jackson’s song Smooth Criminal on US TV show Saturday Night Live recently and on The X Factor wore a fedora similar to the one Jacko wore in the video.

Bruno Mars impersonates Michael Jackson

“Oh no,” Bruno laughed, “I use my hat because my hair is a mess all the time.”

Jackson is not the only person Bruno is good at impersonating.

Growing up in Honolulu, Bruno’s dad, a Latin percussionist from Brooklyn, organised a Vegas-style revue with the family. Three-year-old Bruno, then known as Peter Gene Hernandez began performing Michael Jackson tunes and at four became an Elvis impersonator, performing five days a week with his family’s band.

He became the world’s youngest Elvis impersonator and had a cameo in the 1992 film Honeymoon in Vegas starring Nicolas Cage and Sarah Jessica Parker.

Who is easier to impersonate – the King or the King of Pop?

Before Bruno topped the charts, he impersonated Elvis Presley as a four-year-old

He said: “Neither, they are both amazing. It was more of a novelty I think because I was so little, so it wasn’t really like an accurate impersonation, it was more just a funny thing to watch. I never sounded like Elvis at all either or looked like Elvis.”

After leaving school, Bruno moved to Los Angeles and was signed to Motown Records in 2004.

Nothing developed but he met Philip Lawrence and Ari Levine and they formed songwriting/production team The Smeezingtons writing B.o.B’s Nothin’ On You, Travie McCoy’s Billionaire, Flo Rida’s Right Round and K’Naan’s Wavin’ Flag, which was the 2010 FIFA World Cup theme song.

Bruno then decided to go solo.

The name Bruno Mars came from wrestler Bruno Sanmartino.

The singer explained: “He was a wrestler in my dad’s day, and I used to walk around and I guess reminded him of that wrestler, so he used to always call me Bruno Sanmartino.

“When I was a kid, I used to walk around like I was big stuff.

“Mars is just joking around in a studio, and just kind of stating that I am out of this world.”

He’s getting there and after being a child impersonator is well on his way to having some of Elvis’s success.

Bruno sold more than five million albums and 45 million singles worldwide in 2011. His debut album Doo-Wops & Hooligans went to No1 in 2010 (selling six million copies globally).

His first three singles went to No1 in the UK – Just The Way You Are, Grenade and The Lazy Song.

Locked Out of Heaven has reached No2 and second album Unorthodox Jukebox will be released in the UK on December 10.

There are again lots of different styles from Motown and pop to rock and jazz.

Mark Ronson who worked on Locked Out of Heaven with Bruno reckoned the new album will “change the sound of music”.

The song sounds like The Police and Bruno’s not shying away from the similarity.

He said: “Yeah, I mean I feel like I gravitate more towards singers with high voices, so growing up, I always used to listen to Michael Jackson, The Police, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, Freddie Mercury, guys with high voices, because they’re the songs that I sing along to.

“I like to sing along to them, and I used to play. I used to perform Police songs in bands and as a songwriter, and a producer, you always aspire to kind of create music like that, because you see the reaction.

“A song like Roxanne, by the first chord, everyone starts lighting up, everyone’s faces light up. So it’s only natural that your influences trickle down into your music, because you have been singing them for so long. And I admired the songs for so long.”

He realises he’ll be singing Just The Way You Are and Grenade “until the day I die” which is why he wanted to do different-sounding songs like Locked Out of Heaven, to keep him excited.

Bruno Mars’ mind seems to go faster than the rest of us and he straddles many different musical styles.

Bruno, who plays piano, guitar and drums on the album, said: “The music industry is a weird place and it takes more to be a good singer.

“I learned that you had to show up to a record playboy and say, ‘This is my music, take it or leave it’. No one can create a Michael Jackson, no one can make a Led Zeppelin or The Beatles, it can’t be done, it has to be something there, and you have to give me that, you have to be the one to say, ‘This is me. Either you are in or you are out’.”

Bruno will be performing at Capital FM’s Jingle Bell Ball on December 8 alongside acts like One Direction, Cheryl Cole and JLS.

He is expected to be back for a proper tour in the spring, including Scotland.

He said: “It’s one thing to buy the song, like the song, like the lyrics, like the production, it’s another thing to see the artist perform that song, that’s why Michael Jackson is the best.

“To see him do it, to see whatever it is, the artistic way he brought it to life live, and paint a whole other picture and I feel like it was very important when you hear this album.

“I want people to be like, I’ve got to go see this show. It’s going to be a good show.”

Bruno Mars’ second album Unorthodox Jukebox will be released on December 10.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entert...ry-artist-should-1464017#.ULiRHl2ImIQ.twitter

'Believes Jackson has set the bar'

KNOWS Jackson has set the bar.. God all these media reports with typos sheesh...:pth:

Michael did set the bar. That's why he gets brought up all the time. I thought the SNL thing a couple of weeks ago was funny.

Who is easier to impersonate – the King or the King of Pop?

WTH? The King or the King of Pop? No means to be rude, but Elvis is not a King, because he's not considered a king to everyone, so how could he be a king. And his talent only applys to Rock n' Roll, so how can be a king. Elvis is not a King, he's the King of Rock n' Roll, but not a king.

As for MJ, he would be more so considered a King than Elvis because MJ applys to all people of all races. MJ did Pop, R&B, and Rock, that's what I call a King. If MJ was the greatest entertainer in the world, then he should be called the 'King of Entertainment' more so than the 'King of Pop', even though jealousy will not allow that to be, it's still a realoity weather people admit it or not. :D

um, I'm not a fan of Elvis, but simmer down.
They do call him the King of Rock N Roll. He has a huge following.

I appreciate the words from bruno and he seems like a nice guy, but this is exactly what everyone shouldn't aspire to be. If Michael had that logic, he'd have been a James Brown (and all the other influences) tribute act essentially. You've got to follow your own way and be like yourself as an artist whatever that maybe. It's great that so many people in the industry today look up to Michael etc, but i can only listen to so much of that if there is no originality around like in the mainstream music scene today. Bruno is a good songwriter, but lets not get carried away compared to all these 'greats' including MJ no one in the industry today can hold a candle, because of making mistakes like logic like this. If i was a big artist in the industry i wouldn't be saying this (i don't mean this in an arrogant way btw), i'd be saying how great MJ was and how much i love him as an artist and person, but not that people should aspire to be like him and an artistic sense, yet i'm here posting on MJJC and all this stuff listening to Michael every single day i can. It's nothing to do with how much you love Michael as an artist really, i just don't agree with this statement. But aspiring to be as creative and innovative as Michael is surely a good thing. The reason i go down this route is because the statement itself and the article is so vague as to exactly in what way he is saying that people should be like Michael, i appreciate the nice comments, but it all just seems like airy PR with no substance behind it of something actually interesting to say. But once again, the nice comments are always welcome after what we've been used to in the past.

I personally think all the artists in the music business in to have their own personalities when it comes to working on their music
cuz if they try too hard to be like michael it will be too boring imo

Everybody should be themselves but they can look at Michael and hard he worked and be inspired. Nobody can be Michael. Michael paid attention to everything he did. You have to be hands on with your work and that's what Michael did. They don't need to be Michael because they can't. All the artists today should strive to be their best and put out the best quality for the people. Put on great shows for the people. Michael always knew that. This article to me says that Bruno is saying Michael was the best. He always will be.

Everybody should be themselves but they can look at Michael and hard he worked and be inspired. Nobody can be Michael. Michael paid attention to everything he did. You have to be hands on with your work and that's what Michael did. They don't need to be Michael because they can't. All the artists today should strive to be their best and put out the best quality for the people. Put on great shows for the people. Michael always knew that. This article to me says that Bruno is saying Michael was the best. He always will be.

That's exactly what it says to me too :)

Bruno is a good performer. But, the article got annoying once it mentioned the allegations and called him J@cko? Real unnecessary ish! They can never just give MJ his props without takin a dig can't they? Haters!

A 11year old boy named Miguel Antonio from Singapore this young man has a beautiful voice. HE SAYS HE IDOLIZE MICHAEL JACKSON.HE IS ON YOUTUBE .

Last edited:
The king or the king of pop?? what??? elvis was the king of rock&roll may be... but he was not THE KING, in that case Michael Jackson is THE KING, Michael is a legit genius, elvis was good, but never a genius.

i like Mars a bit.

Personally I don't think that Elvis was talented. I never considered him something special!!!!!! Only Michael is the king of music...no one else.

Personally I don't think that Elvis was talented. I never considered him something special!!!!!! Only Michael is the king of music...no one else.

I agree.. I respect Bruno Mars for saying this, but I'm not a huge fan.

Every artist should work hard, be humble and be kind to fans,just like Michael

um, I'm not a fan of Elvis, but simmer down.
They do call him the King of Rock N Roll. He has a huge following.
you shouldn't tell people to 'simmer down'. They're entitled to their feelings. After all, it's people like them who are responsible for the titles that artists get.

Bruno isn't saying everyone should be LIKE michael lol, he's saying they should strive to have Michael's kind of sense of creativity, his work ethic, his focus on detail.

We should all agree on that because somewhere since the past decade or so, a lot of artists have lost focus, chasing trends and thinking more about hits then actually making music with merit and substance.

to be anywhere close to michael, bruno should write his own songs BY HIMSELF for starters.

e.g. Locked Out of heaven:
Writer(s) Mark Ronson, Jeff Bhasker, Emile Haynie, Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine

-_-

but he CAN REALLY SING! his 'dirty diana' cover was quite good.

I think Bruno is one of the few artists who gets what Michael was about.
Be inspired but don't be a copy of someone else.
His new album sounds great and you can hear the influences he mentions but it still sounds like him.
He seems to be underrated right now but he really is talented. Can play various instruments, writes, produces music and a good performer. Not to mention humble and nice (which seems to get more rare in the music industry every day)
Hearing him praise Michael shows how Michael honestly really set the bar fo music.

I think Bruno is one of the few artists who gets what Michael was about.
Be inspired but don't be a copy of someone else.
His new album sounds great and you can hear the influences he mentions but it still sounds like him.
He seems to be underrated right now but he really is talented. Can play various instruments, writes, produces music and a good performer. Not to mention humble and nice (which seems to get more rare in the music industry every day)
Hearing him praise Michael shows how Michael honestly really set the bar fo music.

Exactly. He's one of the few artists who are a breath of fresh air in mainstream music, with the ability to make popular and commercial music but also have substance and critical acclaim. He's definitely from "The School Of Michael" along with Patrick Stump, who's solo album was severely overlooked and has Michael's influence all over it without being overdone and feeling like "Oh wow, he's copying Michael"

I really hope that people are inspired by Michael. He had his inspirations too. Nobody needs to be Michael. There is only one. But it doesn't mean that people can't be inspired by his work, his work ethic and how he was a human being too. He treated people with love and respect. Something that seems lacking in the world we live in.

The artists of today need to be true to themselves but also if they want to be the best they need to look up to the best and that was Michael. It's interesting that people like to put Michael down or even underrate him. Yet his name gets brought up because deep down people know he set the bar that everyone wishes they can achieve.

Finally an artist who understands music. God bless Bruno Mars, because he gives us outstanding music. You can hear how much MJ influenced him in terms of songwriting.

His new album is a topper!

Back