A Place With No Name: A short analysis

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I would like to discuss and give my analysis on this song today. I really think that this song has great depth. So imma bout to give my 2 cents and a short analysis of the song. Now im only assuming that this writers demo is the same as Michaels version.

Let me start by saying that the title really says it all. Micheal always fancied the idea about escapism. He talked about it all the time, and this topic comes up on alot of songs. It has led me to the conclusion that this song is about death. Life after death to be exact. They are talking about a place filled with marvel and wonderment and where there is no form or no abbreviations of pain. Lets take a deeper look into the lyrics and its connotations:

" She said, don't you worry my friend ill take care, take my hand. Ill take you there "
Who is this woman that appeard outta nowhere? Why it is almost as if he is talking about an angel. Throughout the song you can conspicuously hear her trying to convince him that "this is the place to be" almost as if he has ambivalent feelings about leaving in the first place.

"Where kids are playing and people are laughing and smiling and no ones in fear. She said this is the place where no people have pain, and there's love and happiness. She turned around look down on my eyes and started crying, she grabbed my hand, you got a friend".
These are some beautiful lines. You see, her world is the opposite of the world we see and live in today. There are no children dying in schools, neglection does not exist, there is no fear about isolation and alienation, everybody is playing together. Its just the pure magic of togheterness and happiness.

Something we should pay attention to is that she describes the purity of the world by using children as a euphemism. Michael always said that the innocence of children are the purest thing in this world, So to really illustrate for him how authentic and pure her world is she decides to use children as a euphemism.

"I've Seen the grass and the sky and the birds, and the flower surrounded by the trees"
He is really potraying a vivid picture of this world. Grass, flowers, animals. It sounds alot like some sort of paradise. By now he is no longer contemplating whether he should stay or leave. He is ready, and for the first time we get to know that this man actully has a family (He got a picture of them in his wallet) so the reason why he has strenuous feelings about leaving could be because what he is leaving behind him. Throughout the song he keep bringing up his fondness of this world so there is no questioning that he doesn't believe in it, but there was something still holding him back from fully embracing it.

" This is the place that you choose to be with me, when you thought you can be in another world "
Just after he takes out the picture of his family there is another voice (assumably this woman) saying that this is what he choose, dont feel remorse or sadness, just think about it, you can be in another world free from despair in all forms. This is the world that he was describing throughout the whole song. What is interesting is that this song is sung from his perspective almost as if the verses are the thoughts that are going on inside his head.

" Take Me To A Place With No Name "
There is no name for this place. There is no road map or destination for this fantasy place. He just ends up there somehow. This place, for me, somehow makes me think of a life after death. We don't know anything about life after death, we don't know the name of the place we will be in nor the destination. But what we do know, from biblical scriptures, myths, cultural beliefs, are that that place will be much more beautiful, loving and joyous than the current world that we live in.

This song is a beautiful song, and i can imagine MJ's version being something for our ears :) Also an acnowledgement to this guy spino and his demo, it was done in great care :)

Spinos Demo
[youtube]LvAd5rsIUtc[/youtube]

Snippet of Michaels version
[youtube]mE8xDoqoFxA[/youtube]

Last edited:
Do you think there is only a short snippet of it out because Michael never finished it or because he did finish but leakers couldn't fin the full version of it? I really hope he finished it

Do you think there is only a short snippet of it out because Michael never finished it or because he did finish but leakers couldn't fin the full version of it? I really hope he finished it

Dr. Freeze (the producer of it) confirmed that it's a finished song and it's due on the next album next year.

The song is a killer and it's a shame TMZ teased us like this releasing that snippet. The Estate better release this song.

It definitely leans towards a Scriptural Application, something Michael deeply believed in because of the teachings of Jesus Christ when he taught his followers to pray for God's Kingdom to come and end mankind's problems here on this earth and finally experience true peace and security, a paradise!

I accidentally heard the original track from America about a week ago in the radio. It was the first time since months or years and I instantly fell in love with it. I really love the melody + rhythm and can't wait to hear what MJ did with this song.

Back