Michael Jackson inducted into the Dance Heritage Coalition

billyworld99

Proud Member
(17-12-2012) Founded in 1992, the Dance Heritage Coalition (DHC) is the sole national non-profit organization in the USA dedicated to documenting, preserving, and creating access to materials documenting America’s dance legacy. Since 1999 the list of “America’s Irreplaceable Dance Treasures” included 100 dancers. Noone had been added to the list since....until last week. Michael Jackson was among new 12 honorees.

The other honorees include: Jacques d’Amboise, Jane Dudley, Garth Fagan, Frederic Franklin, Loie Fuller, Carmen de Lavallade, John Martin, Sophie Maslow, Daniel Nagrin, The Rockettes, and Maria Tallchief.

They were nominated by a national survey and vote in 2012. The original intention was to add 10 new Treasures to the original 100. However, in recognition of extremely close voting and in honor of the year 2012, it was decided to bring the number up to 12. Afterwards the nominees were confirmed by the Dance Heritage Coalition (DHC) Board of Directors. The 12 figures are celebrated online along with the initial list of 100 in an Online Exhibition of Dance Treasures.

The list of “America's Irreplaceable Dance Treasures” encompasses individuals, organizations, and dance styles, and is intended to heighten public interest in the magnificence and richness of America's dance heritage and the imperative to document and preserve it for future generations. “America’s Irreplaceable Dance Treasures: The First 100” was created by the DHC in 1999 from nominations submitted nationwide and vetted by a panel of experts; the Treasures formed the basis of the DHC’s traveling exhibition, which visited seven locations from 2004 to 2009. With the closing of the touring exhibit in 2009, the commemorative materials have been expanded and collected on the DHC’s website. A separate webpage is devoted to each of the Treasures, with essays, resource lists and curated visual materials. New pages for the 12 latest honorees have now been added to the online exhibition, which was launched in July 2012.

Michael Jackson's entry in the press release pf the DHC reads as follows:

Michael Jackson - The pop star who created the best-selling album of all time (“Thriller”), he has long been recognized as an exceptional dancer who combined elements from various vernacular dance styles to create a signature vocabulary and stage persona; his choreographed music videos broke ground in the development of this form.

http://www.danceheritage.org/next_12_pr_final.pdf

http://mjfanclub.net/home/index.php...ance-treasures&catid=85:latest-news&Itemid=82

Great news.

Michael was such a multi talent - top achievments in singing, songwriting, dancing, video making. Truly, truly unique! Congrats!

Great news congratulation michael you earned it. Thanks to dhc for recognizing michael's work.

So he wasn't among the original 100? Who was? Chris Brown? LOL

Here are the members: http://www.danceheritage.org/treasures.html

Mostly ballet dancers, theatre dancers. Also some more famous names, like Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Bob Fosse. Michael is in good company. When you click on the name you can download an essey about them in PDF. (You can find it on the left side in the menu.) For Michael it's in the making:

"Michael Jackson
an essay by Carrie Stern, coming soon!
"

Hopefully it will be good without any need for side remarks.

wow i like this comment from another mj forum regarding this news :)
This is brilliant news!

Mike was such a revolutionary dancer. These institutions usually never induct 'rock stars'... But Michael was too magnificent of a dancer to ignore, he was an art form in motion.

More info about the Dance Heritage Coalition
Dance comprises an entire world of spiritual and secular ideas, stories, emotions, and human experience, understood and expressed through movement. The rich history of dance in America serves as a reflection and a record of the nation's increasingly diverse, dynamic culture.

In the Fall of 1999, the Dance Heritage Coalition solicited nominations for America's Irreplaceable Dance Treasures: the First 100. Over 900 nominations from across the full range of American dance artistry, forms, and traditions were submitted and vetted through a three-stage process of selection committees made up of experts from across the country.

The list of America's Irreplaceable Dance Treasures: the First 100 is intended to heighten public interest in the magnificence and richness of America's dance heritage and the imperative to document and preserve it for future generations.

An irreplaceable dance treasure has:

- Made a significant impact on dance as an art form
- Demonstrated artistic excellence
- Enriched the nation's cultural heritage
- Demonstrated the potential to enhance the lives of future generations
- Shown itself worthy of national and international recognition

An irreplaceable dance treasure has:

- Made a significant impact on dance as an art form
- Demonstrated artistic excellence
- Enriched the nation's cultural heritage
- Demonstrated the potential to enhance the lives of future generations
- Shown itself worthy of national and international recognition

This dance honor for Michael Jackson is so well deserved. :girl_curtsey:

MJ should have been inducted in the first place. He is one of the best dancers of all time..

WoW, this is really great news, and so well deserved!! :clapping:
Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

It's about time Michael is finally getting the recognition that he so justly deserved; it's a shame it didn't happen while he was here to enjoy it. But, then again, better late than never. Rest In Peace Michael, we still love and appreciate you and you will never be forgotten!

@ T/S : Thanks for posting. It's a great honor.

MJ should have been inducted in the first place. He is one of the best dancers of all time..
Yep, that was the first thing that came to mind almost soon as I've done reading the first post.
Long overdue. I was thinking of a few possible reasons for the helluva delay.
The message quoted below, I'm with him or her. I'd say, some elitist atmosphere was always there in the dance field and the group wasn't ready to let MJ the pop star in. Plus, if you factor in racism as well, you get the picture.
wow i like this comment from another mj forum regarding this news :)

He would have been delighted.
For sure. When he was alive, I don't think he was honored enough for his contribution to dance like this.
I mean, honors from professional dancers' organizations.
(Not saying he needed their stamp of approval to be considered great.)
I believe he IS looking down on this and feeling happy as we speak.
That's what really makes this news all worthwhile.

Last edited:
Back