New Book : 'Michael Jackson- The Personal Collection' by Darren Julien and Martin Nolan

myosotis

Proud Member
Michael Jackson: The Personal Collection
Author: Darren Julien & Martin Nolan

ISBN: 9781847960306

Publication Date: 09/05/2013

RRP: £30.00

Our price: £30.00
Michael Jackson is the undisputed King of Pop and Michael Jackson: The Personal Collection is the only book to take you inside his world. This book features exclusive and never-before- seen photographs of Neverland and Michael Jackson's final home, 100 North Carolwood Drive, as well as hundreds of personal items, such as handwritten lyrics, notes Jackson wrote to himself and to his PA, costumes Jackson wore on stage, furniture commissioned by Jackson and sketches he drew. Accompanied by thoroughly researched information about each piece and interviews with those who knew him, The World of Michael Jackson gets closer to the man and his world than ever before.

Author Bio
Darren Julien is the founder of Julien's Auctions, which has dominated the entertainment memorabilia market since its inception. Darren has successfully orchestrated major marketing campaigns for sales and regularly appears on television on The Today Show, Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, the BBC and many other high profile news outlets. Martin Nolan is the Chief Financial Officer and Executive Director for Julien's Auctions. He is responsible for expanding the business in the growing markets of India, China and Japan.

http://www.carltonbooks.co.uk/books/products/michael-jackson-the-personal-collection

Words currently fail me!

I believe he got photos for his book from the time Tohme was messing with MJ's property.
I think Julien's went to NL and catalogued and took photo of everything that was suppose to go on auction, which was cancelled by Michael's orders.

I personally rather buy this book than Sullivan's but I wait till I get more info about this:
"Accompanied by thoroughly researched information about each piece and interviews with those who knew him"
If there is any people interviewed for Sullivan's book, I will not be buying it.

But those photos have already been in a catalog Julien's has done.

Regardless of what's been going on with Julien's, this book does sound interesting to me. If it's new photos and decent people around him, I'd buy it.

I doubt they'll be people from Sullivan's book, Julien's has always had pretty decent people from around MJ who sell their stuff there.

Whereas you have the losers like Matt Fiddes who have to approach other small auction houses to sell obviously fake hats.

I'm hoping it's a positive book and not another tabloid crap, we need more positive stuff regarding Michael, many ones are trying to disdain his legacy! :crossed fingers:

I am optimistic about this book.
Amazon.com in America has it available for pre-sale.
I'm signed up and will be notified when the book is available.
:reading:

This book sounds like a combination of Bush's, an auction catalog, & Gest doc for the part about the people who knew him best.
Most likely this will be a positive book & will be good after the S----- fiasco.

I want to wait for the reviews because right now I am not too happy with Juliens. He most likely is taking advantage of all the material that passed though his auction house, so he is getting money twice for each object. He takes a picture of an object and gets money when the object is sold, then he uses the photo in a book and gets money when the book is sold.

Someone please do a review when it comes out & talk about the quality of the photos. I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
the interesting thing is that this book seems to be published in UK and not US?

Why would anyone want to support Juliens after their last scam?

SMDH

Last edited:
Saddens me. Will wait for reviews but I very much doubt I will buy this. Commission wasn't enough for Julien - he has to make even more money from a dead man?

Julien had an exhibition of all the memorabilia from Neverland with Michael's permission instead of selling it. That is why everything is displayed like it is. That was part of the deal they made in the settlement with Michael. They had spent millions moving, cleaning and cataloging all the items from Neverland and instead of selling, this was how they were allowed to recoup their investment. I believe Michael eventually allowed some items to be auctioned that he wasn't keeping. The rest of the property was then turned back over to Michael and stored. ( now in the possession of the Estate) Many fans attended this event that I believe it lasted a week and we do have a thread with information and pictures from that event her somewhere. I'll try to find the link to it and post it here.

Stating everyone is just doing it for money is getting old IMO. To say it is just for money is like saying it has no worth or value and has nothing to offer. If the product was worthless or was tabloid piece of trash and lies then it would be obviously just for the money. But if the product has value, they are offering something of worth to those who would purchase it. There is nothing wrong with people writing and selling relevant positive books about Michael and or making a profit from their effort. That is the field Julien's are in "Memorabilia". So that is what they will write about be it Michael or anyone else. This book has historical value and is a positive thing for Michael's legacy. We support many books that are part of Michael's history and This is an historical book about his beautiful possessions and memorabilia from Neverland and elsewhere. It has value to many fans. We even have fans that have written books to honor and tell the story of Michael. If its done right it's beautiful. This Book just like MLB's book about Michael's iconic costumes has value for Michael's legacy. Just because a book is about Michael doesn't mean it should be given away and no one be recouped or compensated for their effort. We certainly shouldn't support or buy trash but do buy and support what is important, valuable to you and or his legacy.

Listen, If these things are Not written about or documented how will any one in the present or future learn about Michael . Good Books are wonderful and Michael loved them. It has nothing to do with supporting Julien or anyone else you may or may not personally like. (That's the same mentality of fans not buying or supporting Michael's beautiful music, or Immortal tour or Fanfest because they don't like the Estate.) This has to do with supporting good , art , writing, music, events etc that is worthy, that brings you joy to see, hear and read about, that is valuable to The Legacy of Michael Jackson and his history for decades/ centrurys to come. I will be buying this book as I have done others for those very reasons.

FYI- Julien's have always been selling their auction catalogs for $100 each. This seems to be lower priced book that brings together everything they auctioned

FYI- Julien's have always been selling their auction catalogs for $100 each. This seems to be lower priced book that brings together everything they auctioned
plus this gets the book out to the general public and fans that may not frequent
the auction site at a reasonable price. Its not just what was auctioned either, it's
also Michael's personal possesions from Neverland that was not auctioned that he
allowed them to put on display (instead of the canceled auction) in April of 2009 .

Please do not come in to derail this discussion. Let's keep this thread on topic, which is the book "Michael Jackson -The Personal Collection" If you wish to to discuss the recent Julien's auction with MLB, we already have a thread available for that discussion. Please note there will be no insulting or talking down to other fans allowed in this thread or any other thread. Everyone knows that is against MJJC policy. That shouldn't even have to be said. We protect our members.

Lets stay on topic please and enjoy the discussion.

Flip Through The Catalogs
Online Michael Jackson Public Exhibition Five Catalog Box Set
Price: $1000.00

The Collection of Michael Jackson

Picture+11.png

Session I: Garden Statuary and Outdoor Furniture

picture212.png

Session II: Furniture and Decorative Arts
Session III: Furniture and Decorative Arts

picture121.png

Session IV: Antiques, Paintings and Fine Decorative Art

michael-jackson-auction-m-001.jpg

Session V: Amusements, Arcade Games and Disneyana
Session VI: Amusements, Arcade Games and Disneyana

picture155.png

Session VII: Memorabilia From the Life and Career of Michael Jackson
Session VIII: Memorabilia From the Life and Career of Michael Jackson

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/michael-jackson/catalog-list.html

^^^
The Catalogs above are sold individually for $75 - $100

I purchased this one in 2009 - its now sold out
http://www.juliensauctions.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=62

You can also browse though them for free - has all the detailed info of each item including the value
http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/michael-jackson/icatalog1.html

This is the Boxset .. $1000.00
large_57_2009-michael-jackson.jpg

Looks nice but beyond way beyond my means. Auction buyers and collectors are the market for this one.
http://www.juliensauctions.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=57

That is why the book 'Michael Jackson- The Personal Collection' is a good deal
It on sale at amazon now
at​
£25.50
for those who cant afford to purchase the catalogs.

i remember the catalogues cost only usd100 for a set of 5 books then they increased the price to usd500 shortly after that after the TII announcement! and now on their website, it's sold for US$1K!!!? MJ has helped them make millions!

i remember the catalogues cost only usd100 for a set of 5 books then they increased the price to usd500 shortly after that after the TII announcement! and now on their website, it's sold for US$1K!!!? MJ has helped them make millions!
I dont think it as ever $100 for whole set. First they released the boxset only and then they started offering them seperate shortly after. I think when the auction was cancelled and they were just going to display the items. Thats when I purchased mine. Yep they made good money from MJ memorabilia. If you provide a good product and service you can make lots of money. Especially when it comes to Michael. That's a given. Thats why MJ was able to make so many good business deals for himself. He knew he was worth tons of Money. MJ made a bundle with just appearance fees alone all he had to do was show up and say Hi.

plus this gets the book out to the general public and fans that may not frequent
the auction site at a reasonable price. Its not just what was auctioned either, it's
also Michael's personal possesions from Neverland that was not auctioned that he
allowed them to put on display (instead of the canceled auction) in April of 2009 .

I never thought about it that way, you are right of course. I bought one of the catalogues from Juliens from the cancelled sale and it wasn't cheap. Maybe I will take another look at the book.

The whole set used to be $100. I bought it back then :D
For $500 you could buy a set that was signed by Michael, though I'm not sure if they were ever released, because the auction was cancelled shortly after the announcement.

The six box set catalogue can be pre-purchased by logging on to www.juliensauctions.com or by calling (310) 836-1818. The catalogues are comprised of a 6 book set in a hard box cover and the price is $100 per set plus shipping and handling. A limited edition catalogue box set, signed and numbered by Michael Jackson, will be available for $500 plus shipping and handling.

I got this email

Hello Keen,

Thank you for your email. We are not coming out with a book at this time and apologize for any confusion.

Best,

Darren Julien
President/CEO
Julien’s Auctions
www.juliensauctions.com

> 2013/1/23, Keen <mkgenie@XXXX.com>:
>> Hi Darren
>>
>> I heard you are going to publish a book entitled MJ Personal Collection.
>>
>> Can I have more info?

Thanks
Best
Keen

Back