Michael Bush talks about dressing the King of Pop Michael Jackson

myosotis

Proud Member
Looking at the wardrobe of the King of Pop: A Talk with Michael Bush in conversation

Who would Michael Jackson have been without his unique style, his military style jackets, his gloves, his hats and shoes which were much a part of his persona as his ground breaking dancing and spectacular showmanship ? Bath in Fashion is thrilled to welcome Michael Bush, who created the flamboyant stage costumes for King of Pop Michael Jackson for a quarter of a century.

Michael Bush will be presenting a talk and signing copies of his new book “Dressing Michael Jackson; The King of Style”. This is the first art driven book about the costumes, shoes and accessories worn by Michael Jackson. Michael Bush who spent 25 years (along with his late partner, Dennis Tompkins) designing iconic outfits for Jackson with be in Bath to share his personal experiences.

In his new book ‘The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson’, Michael Bush tells the stories behind the clothing. He set out to create something new every time he designed the iconic outfits for Jackson. Bush was there in the thick of it, interacting with Jackson as both a colleague and a friend. This fascinating book chronicles the fusion of music and fashion and pays homage to Michael Jackson’s extra ordinary ability to combine costume, personality, and performance to create his iconic image.

Lady Gaga’s favourite milliner Philip Treacy accessorised his outrageous hats at London Fashion Week in September 2012 with the military style uniforms that were once worn by Jackson. In November Lady Gaga amassed some 55 items created by Michael Bush at the LA auction of his work.

Ali Vowles, BBC Points West Presenter, will be in conversation with Michael Bush together with his friend, Paul Wiltshire Commercial Director from the Bath News & Media group.

Date: Saturday 20 April

Venue: The Guildhall

Time: 7.30pm

Tickets: £15

Booking: www.visitbathshop.co.uk/Looking-at-the-wardrobe-of-the-King-of-Pop-A-Talk-with-Michael-Bush or 0844 847 5256

http://www.bathinfashion.co.uk/what...oking-at-the-wardrobe-of-the-king-of-pop.html

Re: Bush speaking at 'Bath in Fashion' 20th April 2013 (UK)

I don't like the way this article begins "Who would Michael Jackson have been without his unique style, his military style jackets, his gloves, his hats and shoes which were much a part of his persona as his ground breaking dancing and spectacular showmanship ?" The way Michael dressed had NOTHING to do with WHO he was and the talent that came out of every single pore of his body. All it did was help create and image...thats all .

I don't like the way this article begins "Who would Michael Jackson have been without his unique style, his military style jackets, his gloves, his hats and shoes which were much a part of his persona as his ground breaking dancing and spectacular showmanship ?" The way Michael dressed had NOTHING to do with WHO he was and the talent that came out of every single pore of his body. All it did was help create and image...thats all .

I agree entirely, but I think it is all part of 'hyper -inflated fashion speak', (in this case for the sake of 'talking up' the event) which seems to be very prevalent these days. Much like describing handbags as 'to die for'.

Personally, I wouldn't have objected if Michael had danced in his underwear (LOL) :ph34r:

Re: Michael Bush speaking at 'Bath in Fashion' 20th April 2013 (UK)

Myosotis does Bush have any contact information. I wanted to ask him something about the book.

Myosotis does Bush have any contact information. I wanted to ask him something about the book.

Aside from his FB page? He used to reply to pms on FB, but I'm not sure if he still does. It might depend on the question!

You could always try contacting A Vowles, the presenter mentioned above, and say your question is one that fans would be interested to hear discussed!

Twitter @ AliRVowles

an e-mail address is also suggested online, but not certain.

http://www.mediauk.com/radio/people/13988/ali-vowles

I'm afraid I can't think of any other routes. (I doubt that Julien's or the book publisher would pass questions on).

The only other alternative would be the Q and A planned for MJJC.....Not sure that will happen? (or perhaps it did, and I missed it)

Last edited:

What's happening with the MJJC Exclusive Q&A with Michael Bush? We posted questions in early December 2012, and it is March 2013, 3 months later.

Thanks Myosotis for the answer about the contact information.

Interesting. Yet I find it boring that ANY person who had to do ANYTHING with Michael is writing a book, doing interviews, making movies whatever. Kind of starting to get sick of it.

Where exactly is Bush now? Is he still involved in book signing activities in the US? His book seems to be getting a lot of promotion.

What's happening with the MJJC Exclusive Q&A with Michael Bush? We posted questions in early December 2012, and it is March 2013, 3 months later.

yeah, that is exactly what i wanted to ask too...

:bored:He didnt care much for fashion anyway I don't think ..

yeah, that is exactly what i wanted to ask too...

I'm glad you agree with me. I was really looking forward to his answers.

I hope the Q&A is still on.

Was the Q&A planned before the Julien issue took place?

I live in Bath....I would go if there were some of Michaels outfits displayed

I live in Bath....I would go if there were some of Michaels outfits displayed

Maybe you could go and ask some questions about the book?

[h=1]Michael Bush talks about dressing the King of Pop Michael Jackson[/h]
4682164.jpg

Singer Michael Jackson was as much of a style icon as a musical icon. Across the world, millions of people tried to imitate his remarkable clothing from the military inspired coats and jackets, to a fedora perched at just the right angle and of course, that single rhinestone glove.

Behind the trademark looks was Michael Bush, who with his late partner, Dennis Tompkins, dressed Jackson for more than a generation.

Bush began his relationship with Jackson as his dresser back in 1983. He recalls the time they first met, in a trailer on the set of Captain EO. Jackson threw cherries at him which was the start of a lifelong working relationship and friendship.

Bush said: "We got along great and had the same sense of humour but more importantly as I always say, he educated me and I educated him. it just worked."

Designing costumes for one of the world's greatest performers was a long way from Bush's beginnings in Ohio where he learned his craft from his mother and grandmother, who made wedding gowns, prom dresses and quilts.

He said: "Some of the inspiration for his costumes came from Michael, his creativity, his movement, his showmanship. It also came from our environment, your surroundings, street clothes and those images that stay in your head once you see them.

"Michael always loved the military and regal royal looks. Other than that we would sketch and envision all sorts of designs and then you would just know which was 'the one'."
Over the years the pair created countless outfits for the star but Bush struggles to pick a favourite.
"All of them had their own special factors to it. I loved the jackets he wore, the highly embellished ceremonial jackets and the video worn jackets.

"But at the same time I loved the gloves, the rhinestone socks, the embellished pants.
"When you are a designer every fashion you design is better than the last."

There is however one piece of clothing that has a special place in the hearts of both Bush and Jackson.

He said: "The last piece I designed was the pearl jacket ensemble in which Michael was buried.
"It was his favourite jacket and I knew that is what my friends would want to have been laid to rest in."

Looking at the wardrobe of the King of Pop: with Michael Jackson's costume designer Michael Bush takes place at 7.30pm on Saturday, April 20 at The Guildhall.

Tickets cost £15 including a book signing.

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Michael...-Pop-Michael/story-18482158-detail/story.html

^^It makes me laugh seeing the glove up at his face like that. Whoever sees him, tell him I am looking for him.

If I went, has anyone got any questions I could try and ask for you?

Yes, I have a question. In the Julien catalogue when the costumes and sketches were sold, there was a sketch of MJ looking like a faun or satyr--he was carrying a flute and he was naked in the upper body and the lower body had the faun-like legs, fur, hoofs. He also had horns and flowers in his hair. I am just wondering about the background--was this a costume for something that never happened?? It was very unusual as the other sketches were of the military type jackets, etc.

''There is however one piece of clothing that has a special place in the hearts of both Bush and Jackson.''
Which means MJ has worn it before, and as I can remember Bush said (one of) his favorites was the the white jacket with Pearls,t he one he wore to the Oscars with Madonna, or the one he wore to the Grammy awards.
Which means, that Im about to cry as this is my favorite jacket too, and they buried him in it:cry:

I have 2 questions: Ask him if he took a photo of the burial jacket & the pants on one mannequin, that is not the jacket separately and pants separately but both pieces on the mannequin at the same time. Ask him why he made a belt, if the Jacket was long & would cover the belt. Ask him if he can give his contact information.

MJ PP That is my favorite jacket too & I love the final one Bush made as well. In some strange way the outfits do not cause me any sadness.

Last edited:

^ really? I already get sad if im looking at the pictures when he was wearing that jacket, and them imagine, you know, him in it but, not alive:no:

^ really? I already get sad if im looking at the pictures when he was wearing that jacket, and them imagine, you know, him in it but, not alive:no:

Yes I understand. I mentioned this before somewhere, but what happened is because Bush wrote about the love he took in making that outfit, his thoughts on what Michael would like, the care he took in putting it together, & the symbolism, I see the jacket as a "love" thing, so I don't get sad about it. I like the whole outfit actually & I see it as Bush & Tompkins final masterpiece. I have actually looked at that outfit several times with admiration & it is my favorite outfit in the book.

Anyone on MJJC thinking of going to this? I live in Scotland, it would be a 7 hour drive there and back but im considering it, like mentioned in a previous post, it would be better if there was some exhibits showcasing the clothing

Bath in Fashion is offering Bath Chronicle readers the chance to get two tickets for the price of one to see Michael Bush in conversation with Ali Vowles on Saturday April 20 at The Guildhall.

Michael Bush is famous for his work creating the flamboyant stage costumes for the King of Pop Michael Jackson for a quarter of a century. He will be presenting a talk on his work as a designer and the iconic style of Michael Jackson as well as signing copies of his new book Dressing Michael Jackson; The King of Style. The book gives details of the costumes, shoes and accessories worn by Michael Jackson as well as the stories behind them. Michael Bush who spent 25 years (along with his late partner, Dennis Tompkins) designing iconic outfits for Jackson will be at The Guildhall in the heart of Bath to share his experiences.

Read more: http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/2-1-tic...tory-18654328-detail/story.html#ixzz2PzZrhFQr

Michael Bush in Prague at Hard Rock Café, btw, the article is very interesting, but you have to use the google translator...

http://ona.idnes.cz/michael-bush-a-...ani-fd6-/styl.aspx?c=A130502_142629_hudba_jaz

<object height="345" width="596">

<embed src="http://gidnes.cz/swf/flv/player.swf" flashvars="configURL=http://servix.idnes.cz/media/video.aspx?idvideo=V130502_163406_tv-zpravy_krr" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="345" width="596"></object>
<object style="padding: 0px ! important; margin: 0px ! important; float: none ! important; border: 0px solid rgb(255, 0, 0) ! important; background: none repeat scroll center center transparent ! important; width: 0px ! important; height: 0px ! important; display: block ! important; overflow: visible ! important; position: absolute ! important; text-indent: 0px ! important; z-index: auto ! important; max-width: none ! important; min-width: 0px ! important; max-height: none ! important; min-height: 0px ! important; left: 0px ! important; top: 0px ! important; bottom: auto ! important; right: auto ! important; line-height: 16px ! important; white-space: nowrap ! important; visibility: hidden ! important;"></object>

Last edited:

Thanks, A lot is odd in the translation but I can understand the gist. German doesn't seem to translate well.

I just came across an interview that Michael Bush gave to Czech news server novinky.cz. It was published on May, 2nd when MB visited Prague. Nothing new but it was nice to read. This is the translation I made as it was originally published in Czech:

---

You have worked with Michael for 25 years, you must know everything about him...
I know a lot but no, not everything.

How did you meet?
At my 27th birthday. I was working on this movie for Disneyland.

Was fashion important for Michael?
Fashion for him was a way how to express himself when he was dancing. It was very important for him because MTV, music videos, these are all visuals. You want to watch the video, so yes, clothes was important.

Did he draw his own designs?
Yes, he could draw better than me. He was multifunctional, he did everything, he was fascinating. He drew a lot - clothes and other things, he looked out of the window and instantly drew what he saw...

So he was a very visually oriented person - like Freddie Mercury.
Yes, he was. And it was all artistic. Like his armchairs. When he drew an armchair he was fascinated by the way how the armchair is made, how many hands it has to go through, how it begins, how the process continues.

He was quite small. Did he like to wear heels?
Not when he was dancing, he used to dance in normal shoes. Sometimes he wore heels in public, but other than that he didn't. He was small but he was the kind of person that if he came in to the room right now while we are talking you would immediately know that somebody came in.

Would you say he was a good friend of yours?
Yes, one of my best friends.

Was he childlike?
He was. He liked to laugh a lot all the time. Sometimes people think that it is not appropriate to laugh, but what you can't laugh about yourself you're not doing good. I had fun with him, I was looking forward to work with him and I never wanted to leave. When we were shooting and something funny came across his mind he just started to laugh. I've laughed with him for 25 years and this is what I miss the most - his laughter.

Was he happy?
Extremely happy. He knew he was meant to be a performer. His gift, his talent, it was enormous. He wanted to bring joy to people.

But it his last years he didn't look very happy...
Yeah, but look what people had done to him. They made up things about him and it hurt him a lot. And me too. They ask me why I wrote the book why I do this or that. Everybody has to do what he has to to be happy and shouldn't care about what people say. Michael was such a giving person, but he didn't get anything in return from people. That was hard for him. I for example donate to charity and I receive a lot in return. But sometimes people don't give back. It was hard for him to understand.

Stanislav Dvo&#345;ák, Novinky
http://www.novinky.cz/kultura/30087...i-mysli-si-stylista-zesnuleho-krale-popu.html

Back