Josed

Proud Member
For everyone who still says Holland instead of the Netherlands:
Watch this:
Hope you understand!
:D
Josed.

lol that was sweet :D

In Spanish we say "HOLANDA" also, instead of Netherlands so that can also be confusing for us too :)

What a COOL History lesson :D

I agree it's the Netherlands :agree: but I guess people use "Holland" 'cause they don't know how to spell the Netherlands :blush:

I thought that Belgium was a 'complicated' country :unsure:

What a COOL History lesson :D

I agree it's the Netherlands :agree: but I guess people use "Holland" 'cause they don't know how to spell the Netherlands :blush:

I thought that Belgium was a 'complicated' country :unsure:
Hmm... I don't know of any other name then the name Belgium, what other names are used then?

Before watching that video. I didn't think it matter what that country should be called. I always refer to it as both the Netherlands and Holland. I guess with me being of some German heritage. That is why I didn't think it matter. Now I know it does matter. Just like people saying Pennsylvanian Dutch instead of Pennsylvanian German. Which is something that I am also part of. But I know Pennsylvanian German is the correct way and not Pennsylvanian Dutch. My part German heritage can be quite complicated at times. It is no wonder I consider myself more Russian and Polish than German. Russia and Poland are easy countries compare to countries like Germany and the Netherlands. Especially when I think of the other name for Germany: Deutschland.

Hmm... I don't know of any other name then the name Belgium, what other names are used then?

It's NOT the 'confusion' of the name of Belgium though... It's 'cause it has 'colonies' too and way too many 'governments' :smilerolleyes:

We, Romanian people, call it „Olanda”, instead of Netherlands („Țările de Jos”), I do not know why, maybe because it is easier to pronounce it.

Oh my God ...I learned a new lesson ...hahaha what about the "Pays Bas" ? Isn't this the name the French people call us?

Razvan;3796127 said:
We, Romanian people, call it „Olanda”, instead of Netherlands („Țările de Jos”), I do not know why, maybe because it is easier to pronounce it.

The reason is historical. Holland used to be one province (now it's split into North-Holland and South-Holland) and it has always been the most important part of The Netherlands (in terms of power, wealth, population). The three major cities of The Netherlands (Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague) are all in Holland. Almost half the population of The Netherlands lives in Holland (~ 7 million out of 17 million). Historically, The Netherlands was a major colonial world power with an empire that spanned all continents (except Oceania, although New Zealand is named after the Dutch province of Zealand). Since most settlers and traders that came into contact with the local population of these places were from Holland, people there began to equate Holland with The Netherlands. That name still stuck even after all these centuries.

For more info, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Golden_Age & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Empire

Geographically, Holland is only a small part of The Netherlands (the red and green provinces in the West):

images

Treasure;3886109 said:
Oh my God ...I learned a new lesson ...hahaha what about the "Pays Bas" ? Isn't this the name the French people call us?

Most languages refer to our country as "the Low Countries". In French, it's "les Pays-Bas". In English, it's "the Netherlands". In Spanish, it's "los Países Bajos". In German, it's "die Niederlande". In Finnish, it's "Alankomaat" (plural). Etc. etc. ;)

Last edited:
But many Dutch people say Holland too. But maybe they live in the west part? ;) I live in the east near Germany :)

Back