The Estate's Five Project Ideas for 2013 - What's Your Favorite?

The Estate's Five Project Ideas for 2013 - Pick YOUR Favorite!

• A Blu-Ray release of Jackson's July 2009 memorial service

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
Following on the extreme discussion regarding the estate's project due for this year, I've decided to compile this poll featuring four projects that are currently being discussed by the estate (alongside one that everyone wants) and asking this question:

Out of these five options, which do you want the most?

The five choices I've included are sourced from a March 2013 blog post by Damien Shields, which can be viewed by clicking here. I must stress though that he does not have direct contacts to the estate themselves, but rather with Sony Music, which is still an extremely reliable source as they ARE the distributors of the projects.

It's rumored that the Estate keeps an eye on fan boards to see how fans respond, so I'm hoping this poll remains popular enough for them to take note and make a final decision.

Here are my views with desire ratings. (Quite long so I hope people will read them :D)

* A new studio album of previously unreleased material - This one is obvious, and seems to be the one the fans want the most. The estate's first, and currently only, attempt at a new studio album was a complete disaster that many fans are still sullen over. If anything this is their chance to redeem themselves. Besides, look how excited and worked up the fans got when they saw Michael Prince's three Instagram posts. This project obviously means a lot to us because there are some gems in Michael's unreleased/rare discography and we want to hear it. It doesn't even need to be fully finished songs - we know Michael's demos could be considered finished songs. Just look at I'm So Blue, for example. But keep it as raw as humanly possible - if a few little musical touch ups need to be done, such as removing blank sessions that were un-recorded, that is understandable. Just don't take the Hollywood Tonight/Another Day/Behind the Mask route and make a mix that is a shadow of the original. Give us something to push Michael further and further into obscurity. 10/10

* A duets album, pairing unfinished music with new collaborators - This idea isn't necessarily terrible but is pretty damn bad. We've known about it for a while but still I'm not sold. The estate saw how worked up fans got from the over-production of Michael - adding a completely new artist to the mix would be even worse, considering there would probably be artists that we don't know Michael would ever have worked with. (Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Adele, etc.) Of course if Akon, Kanye West, Stevie Wonder or Paul McCartney made an appearance it would be fine, as Michael already worked/was planning to work with them. I'm open to it in the future when they start to run out of finished material, but for now we don't need it. And when they do they need to look at Notorious B.I.G.'s duets album and NOT do that. 5/10

* A Blu-Ray release of Jackson's July 2009 memorial service - This is probably the worst of the five options. Do they really need to make money off of this man's memorial service? Not to mention that we already have it in 1080p high definition online, and this in itself is an extremely depressing option. Two hours of other artists singing tributes and several dozen shots of a gold casket that has Michael's dead body in it? It was fine for a one-time TV tribute, but an official release? No thanks. 0/10

* A 3D release of Jackson's 1996-97 HIStory World Tour - For those of you who actually want this, take this into consideration: Michael sang a total of 25 individual songs in these concerts. Only two of them were live. He puts very little energy and care into his dancing and it doesn't seem like he even wants to be up on that stage. And if you still want it, download one of the several pro-filmed ones widely available online. (Two or three of them are even in HD.) Additionally, these tours weren't filmed in 3D, making the aspect pointless. No offense to Michael but these concerts are an embarrassment when put side by side to his Dangerous or Bad tours. Quite honestly, I don't see the point of having any further concert releases. I mean, we already have everything we'll ever get out of a Bad or HIStory tour performance and almost everything from the Dangerous tour. It would essentially make us buy Wembley/Bucharest/Munich again. Let's just let these rot in the vaults, shall we? 0/10

* An official release of Jackson's 2001 30th Anniversary Concerts - Going along with my HIStory tour rant, these concerts aren't good. Michael's performances are impressive for a 43-year-old man, but regardless they're still fully lip-synched and aren't much of a step up from the HWT. The concerts are readily available online in full 1080i HD, and they're gorgeous. And let's not forget that in all, tribute acts performed for about an hour to an hour and a half, while Michael only performed for around forty minutes, not counting the Jacksons reunion. That's nowhere near enough to constitute a project on it. So again, why is this even an option? 0/10

My final verdict: a new album of unreleased material would be the best, provided it stays as untouched and natural as possible. A duets album isn't terrible as long as you LEAVE OFF the current chart toppers and only include people Michael wanted to or did work with. The HIStory tour, memorial and 30th anniversary shows should just be left to decompose.

And now I'll turn it over to the fine people at MJJC. Pick your choice and give a reason down below, whether it be a few paragraphs or just one sentence (although I'm sure we all know what the winner is going to be ;)). If you can, please refrain from saying something like, "Why not the Victory tour?" or "How about some unseen This Is It rehearsals?" Let's try to stay solely on the options at hand.

Last edited:
I'll be okay with anything, but please NOT the memorial service. It was good, and moving and all that, but it was basically a public funeral. No need to turn the funeral into a mass-produced marketable product.

If they release music, please original demos first. Then, on disk 2, do whatever you want with them - duets, remixes, new productions. But let us hear what Michael left behind.

My biggest dream though is a proper release for Ghosts with a good marketing campaign, to get it the attention and awareness it deserves. And The Making of Thriller. They could make a good bundle for Halloween.

A album of unreleased songs on it would be nice. Especially if it is an album that has songs like Men In Black, Chicago 1945, Bottle Of Smoke, Tragedy of a Cheerleader, and Somewhere In Time on it. Those are the 5 unreleased songs I would L.O.V.E. to hear the most.

I want more concerts to be released so I voted 3D HIStory Tour. But I'm not sure if the HIStory Tour is the best choice to release. Of course Munich concert would be great to see on blu-ray but I want more Bad Tour and Dangerous Tour. Bad Tour concert from the film reels would be the best release ever

Out of these options it was easy to pick the first one. However I agree with Morinen about Ghosts - it's time to put it (with the Making of) on DVD/Blue-Ray! My dream is a boxset with Ghosts and Thriller and their respective Making ofs, plus maybe some unseen footage of both sessions if possible.

I have to agree about HIStory Tour. When it came up that they'd give it a 3D cinema release I thought it was a terrible idea. Critics would tear apart Michael for obviously not singing live in those concerts. So yeah, let them stay in the vault and try to find something usable from other tours of Michael instead.

I choose something unusual like the duets project, I always wondered about his collaboration especially the not known ones. Please take out of the list the memorial dvd nobody I think would buy it :(

The bottom 3 options are beyond terrible. Bit of a no brainer.

Following on the extreme discussion regarding the estate's project due for this year, I've decided to compile this poll featuring four projects that are currently being discussed by the estate (alongside one that everyone wants) and asking this question:

Out of these five options, which do you want the most?

The five choices I've included are sourced from a March 2013 blog post by Damien Shields, which can be viewed by clicking here. Damien used to frequent the Maximum Jackson fan board a few years ago and was extremely helpful and reliable when it came to the estate, particularly with the Michael album. As of now he is the closest the fan community has to an insider into the mind of the estate, and I'm taking his word very seriously.

I don't believe him. I think he made up those projects and that he doesn't have any source within the Estate.

But for the purpose of the thread I will say that A 3D release of Jackson's 1996-97 HIStory World Tour is the most amazing idea ever, and that was also mentioned before by John Branca. To see MJ in theaters all around the world in 3D. Absolutely amazing idea. And bluray after that of course.

An official release of Jackson's 2001 30th Anniversary Concerts on bluray is essential. That is MJ last full concert and it has to be released, but maybe not this year.

A new studio album of previously unreleased material or duets album, pairing unfinished music with new collaborations - that is great and that will happen for sure in late 2013 or early 2014. But this time they should do it with care and rescpect, without Jason Malachi and without producers like Tricky Stewart, Teddy Riley and McClain touching the songs they didn't originally worked on. New album with Neff-U (Brad Buxer/Michael Prince material), RedOne, will.i.am (that one is essential, they should pay him whatever amount of money he wants) & Rodney Jerkins. I don't have anything against duets if MJ didn't record some parts. It would be awesome to have Lady Gaga on RedOne songs or Justin Timberlake, Usher, Chris Brown & Omarion on I'm Still The King (as it was originally planned according to will.i.am). And absolutely no Justin Bieber on any song! If the decide to make a full album with duets then I suggest Beyonce, Kanye West, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, Usher, Mariah Carey, Ne-Yo, Lady Gaga and Freddie Mercury (already recorded duets).

A Blu-Ray release of Jackson's July 2009 memorial service is the most stupid and bizzare idea I ever heard. When I read that one I knew Damien made up all this things (no offense, just my opinion) based on rumors and his own beliefs without any source connected with the Estate.

I think the most obvious is the album of unreleased material

It's needed, especially one featuring material from the last 10 years or so years of his life. Quite a bit of the snippets that have leaked have gotten very positive reviews
-I Am A Loser
-Days Of Glouchershire
-People Of The World
-A Place With No Name

2 other projects that SHOULD be considered is a Blu Ray release of Thriller with a new scan of the 35mm master and a commissioning of the classical work Michael was working on in his final years

This may be a retread but I wish they'd release the full audio of the Wembley show on vinyl or at least on a 2CD set

I choose something unusual like the duets project, I always wondered about his collaboration especially the not known ones. Please take out of the list the memorial dvd nobody I think would buy it :(

That's not the idea they have in mind. They would take the songs Michael never finished and take current artists, like Justin Bieber or Adele, and have them record the missing parts. Which is a beyond terrible idea.

I don't believe him. I think he made up those projects and that he doesn't have any source within the Estate.

He has sources within Sony, the distributor, not the estate. Sorry, mis-worded myself in the original post! But he's actually been extremely accurate with several projects such as Michael, Immortal and a few things on Bad 25. He's been wrong once, I believe, so I'm taking it seriously.

- Just don't do duets album. I have no idea why are these becoming so popular.
- New music - YES, but don't touch it - leave it as Michael left it... and don't even consider Cascio songs, because we can't deal with it again.
- GHOSTS Blu-ray - YEEEEES!!!

New studio album leaving the songs as Michael left them (as long as the quality is decent enough, that is). That's my vote!

Duets album is a bad idea unless the songs were intended duets with the rightful people. If artists like Timberlake, Bieber, Gaga, Adele, Brown, Usher, etc. are on there, I will not buy. Not my cup of tea and I will not give a penny of my money to them. There's a reason I don't listen to and buy their music now and I won't in the future.

I personally don't care too much for concert releases. There are tons of videos on youtube that I watch all the time.

A HIStory tour cinema release would be an awful idea as I've said before. Too much miming, and ropey live vocals. This would be detrimental to Michael's legacy.

Duets albums have a negative connotation. It's considered something that mainly artists in their 'twilight' years do for a quick buck. The idea of taking some MJ vocals and constructing a track around them with another artist isn't a bad idea though. Perhaps that's something to release as a one-off single. It could bring MJ back into the limelight.

The 30th Anniversary Concerts are too odd to release as well. MJ was clearly up to his eyeballs on some sort of drugs or a combination thereof, OR was intoxicated. It also irks me that possibly the vocals and his appearance were 'touched up' prior to the TV broadcast. The tribute performances were often dire or just bonkers. And there was plenty of controversy regarding the ticket prices and the long gaps between performances etc. I don't care to remember this occasion.

He doesn't.

This is the first time that I agree with you!

Do you have any information about future projects? You mentioned possible release of People Of The World or Children's Holiday some time ago.

I can not believe how many people would like to forget about the HIStory Tour and leave it to be ignored! Yes, Michael does use playback in it and his energy might not be to the standards of the Bad or Dangerous Tour, but for crying out loud, it's still Michael on tour! And ebsides, some of his dancing is very impressive and creative. Besides, the scenography is simply amazing and would probably do well in 3D.

I also can not share the general feeling about the MSG 30th concerts. Seeing Michael on those shows was simply amazing and I don't care if it was for 40 or 10 minutes. The ticket prices are not an issue here, the breaks inbetween don't matter. It was a very important anniversary of Michael Jackson's carreer and many, many big names came to honour him - many of whom are no longer with us (Marlon Brando, Whitney Houston, Elisabeth Taylor, Ray Charles, Luther Vandross). I would very much like to see an official release of one of those shows, even if it's a best off from both of them. It's not on the top of my priority list, but by no means should these things be forgotten for ever!

Of those, a new album. I don't really care for the rest.

They're really discussing releasing the Memorial service on blu-ray? I hope not. I could never watch it and putting it up for sale leaves a bad taste in my mouth (Just like hearing about those pics of Michael's children from that event being found in Universal Studios :bugeyed)

I wouldn't mind seeing the HIStory tour in theaters, just not in 3D (it's overrated most of the time). But I also understand the problem of him not singing live could be a negative to the general public. It's a nice thought anyway.

3Oth anniversary concert I'd only want it if it was just the parts with Michael and his brothers performing. The rest is so blah.

I'm not interested in a duets album at all. Unless the songs were meant to be duets, they're better off leaving them alone.

So, new album it is... or a release of either Destiny, Triumph, Victory or Dangerous Tour :D

Out of the 5 options it has to be an album of unreleased songs!

I'd love some more concerts released, but PLEASE not the History tour! Only WBSS and the J5 medley sung live, plus he just didn't have the energy that he had on the Bad and Dangerous tours. Another Bad tour concert from the original film reels would be brilliant, but I'd also love to see Triumph and Victory tour concerts released!

If some (4) of these projects are really being considered by the estate, it reduces my confidence in them even more.

www.MessenTools.com-34%20pensativo.gif
popcorn-MJ.gif

Oh and I forgot to mention, that classical album will need to be backed up with a lot of evidence for me to believe Michael had ANYTHING to do with it - going on the Estate's track record.

New album of unreleased tracks for definate for me, didnt even have to think about it, always love hearing them
the memorial service idea is insane, it should never be released like that, ever.
i would like a HIStory dvd but not 3d whats that about?
new collabs, im not sure about no :/
and the 30th anni concert would be cool i think

The HIStory tour, memorial and 30th anniversary shows should just be left to decompose.

Excuse me?! Well if you don't like Michael's concerts that's your thing, but I would buy every single Michael Jackson concert ever made without having to think twice, especially if it's on blu-ray!

Let's just let these rot in the vaults, shall we?

No, we shall not. -_-

What I'm most interested in are blu-rays. Whether they be concerts, music videos, interviews or home movies, I just like to see Michael. Of course never seen before concerts would be better than those that are already on Youtube, but I still want the History tour in Munich and the MSG concert to be officially released. About the 3D conversion... well I love 3D! But it has to be done right. And unfortunately, so far the Estate has not been very impressive with their restoration work. If they do this, I hope they will do it right, and put money, time and efforts into it. Don't need cheap 3D. But if it's good 3D, then I will be very pleased to have it.

A new studio album would be nice too and that would be my second choice. But they better not mess with Michael's songs this time. I want to hear Michael's demos exactly as he left them, and uncensored (not like what they did on Hollywood Tonight by changing the bridge and the whole meaning of the song). If they want to work further on some of them, then they should put those new versions on a second disc and give us the originals on the first disc.

A duets album, pairing unfinished music with new collaborators

I NEVER want to see this. None of the current artists interest me and most of them actually annoy me. Michael is not here anymore to have a say in this and it would be a sacrilege to let an inferior artist touch his art. I would rather hear Michael's unfinished demos as he left them.

A Blu-Ray release of Jackson's July 2009 memorial service

They could release this in a couple of years on the anniversary of his death, as long as they don't expect this to become a best-seller. If it's just to give it an official release, then okay. But there are thousands of Michael Jackson videos that would excite me more than this.

One note I have to make is that the estate will never release a two-disc album featuring reproductions on one disc and original recordings on the second. Should they? Yes. But logic tells you that it won't happen.

Excuse me?! Well if you don't like Michael's concerts that's your thing, but I would buy every single Michael Jackson concert ever made without having to think twice, especially if it's on blu-ray!

I respect your opinion and I'm sure I would be much more inclined to buy a new tour DVD/Blu-ray if there was something new to offer. Look at Wembley. Eaten up by the fan community because it was a second leg tour from the Bad concerts, which we didn't have. Now we have everything the Bad tour will ever give us, so any further release of it is useless. Same with the Dangerous tour, save for performances of Bad, Dangerous and The Way You Make Me Feel, which aren't that important honestly, so we can leave that one alone. Then we've got the HIStory tour, of which we have

1) Bucharest in full (decent quality)
2) Tunis in full (bad quality)
3) Seoul in full (good quality)
4) Kuala Lumpur in part (bad quality)
5) Auckland in full (good quality)
6) Sydney in part (decent quality)
7) Phillippines in full (bad quality)
8) Brunei in full (decent quality)
9) Munich in full (1080p HD quality)
10) Copenhagen in full (1080i HD quality)
11) Gothenburg in full (good quality)
12) Helsinki in full (good quality)

Twelve concerts, ten of which are in full and two of which are in high definition. Essentially it would be the equivalent of the estate making the next project a CD with all the demos from The Ultimate Collection - it would be giving us what we've had for years. Michael's tours, apart from THREE songs from the Dangerous tour, don't have much to offer us. So why release them?

What I'm most interested in are blu-rays. Whether they be concerts, music videos, interviews or home movies, I just like to see Michael. Of course never seen before concerts would be better than those that are already on Youtube, but I still want the History tour in Munich and the MSG concert to be officially released. About the 3D conversion... well I love 3D! But it has to be done right. And unfortunately, so far the Estate has not been very impressive with their restoration work. If they do this, I hope they will do it right, and put money, time and efforts into it. Don't need cheap 3D. But if it's good 3D, then I will be very pleased to have it.

The 3D conversion is honestly useless. These shows were not recorded in 3D nor were they ever intended to be used in that way. Therefore there's nothing that will be popping out at the screen, nothing that will be noticeable. It would pretty much slightly blur anything that isn't Michael. Not to mention that critics would tear into the release; no matter what anyone says, critical reviews ARE important. So again, there's really no use for this.

- album
Tracklist:

I am the loser
Buffalo Bill
A Place With No Name
D.I.E.
The Nelson Mandela Song
Llama Lola
Michael McKellar
Men in Black
Bass(z)oulle
Edgar Allan Poe
Soldiers Entrance
He who makes the sky Grey
Water
Lady of Summer
H20
Broken Chair

- Classical album

- atleast 4 hours of TII footage

- Victory tour Dallas dvd

- Another album
tracklist:
Chicago 1945
Tomboy
Iowa
In The Life of Chico
The Toy
Bottle of Smoke
Fear
Neverland Landing
Lucy is in love with linus
Red Eye
The Childrens Hour
Children of the world
Face
I Have this dream
On my Anger
I Dont live here anymore
The Future
If we still love
Days Of Glouchershire

Theres my five year plan for the estate. :)

I think the new studio album is almost certain so I voted for the second option. A duets album could work very well, if done right.

First of all, it would have to be only unfinished unreleased songs that would be used. For example, a song that Michael only recorded a verse and the chorus to. If songs that Michael released during his lifetime were used this would be a terrible idea.

Secondly, a duets album can go from "Amazing" to "Awful" depending on the duet partners. I suspect the Estate would try to get someone for everyone and so have artists of all ages and genres. This is worrying. In my opinion the duets should only be with people Michael has worked with in the past, planned to work with in the future, or at least knew of their existence and enjoyed their work. Wouldn't it be better to hear an unfinished song as "Michael Jackson ft. Stevie Wonder" rather than not hearing it at all?

I would agree the duets album if Estate brings artists, like Stevie Wonder and Justin Timberlake (listen his last album). It would be succesful, if it is well made, but please, do not bring Bieber or Minaj, they are terrible!
However, the Estate should see the critical reviews of artists which it wants to bring on the album.

But my favourite option is the album with previously unreleased songs.

Back