Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,743 Times in 1,357 Posts

Default Re: Brad Sundberg seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Quick question for any past attendees: I know Brad has played a number of previously unheard demos during his seminars, but the one that intrigues me the most has to be "Saturday Woman," which Frank Cascio mentioned in his My Friend Michael book. For anyone who's heard it, would you mind sharing some information on its sound, completion, lyrics, etc.?

Matter of fact, that goes for ANYONE who may have heard anything currently unreleased. If you're willing to answer a few questions, I'd love to discuss some of the music with you for a future project I'm working on. Many thanks

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,277 Posts

Latest from Brad:

According to Wikipedia, Dangerous was released on November 26th, 1991 - just under 9500 days ago, which is another way of saying 26 years and one day ago.
    A lot has been written about Michael, the Dangerous album, the various songs, producers, etc. I have written quite a bit, and it remains both my favorite album AND my favorite portion of the seminars. I love talking about Dangerous.
    But I was thinking about project last night and I had a completely nutty idea. (You might even say my idea is a bit Off The Wall.) If you look through the liner notes (many of which I wrote myself), there are names and bits of info that likely mean very little to you, so I thought it might be fun to introduce you to a few people.

To be fair - I have not asked permission, and in many cases I have not spoken to some of them in, well, 9500 days. So this is a pure stream of memories that takes me back to that time and place. As with all memories, this is not based on intensive research - these were just people I knew and likely have lost touch with. Curious? So am I, so let's get started.

Dangerous was recorded at Record One, Larrabee North and Westlake. A few of the orchestra sessions were done in Hollywood at Oceanway, and a few sessions at Toad Hall and Smoketree. My time was mostly split between Record One (mostly in the first half of the album) and Larrabee (for the much of the second half). There were many sessions that I was not part of as it was such a large project.

Princess Stephanie / Nancy Reagan
    The "Mystery Girl" Princess joined us at Larrabee Studios for her vocals on "Closet". She was very sweet, very pretty and quite shy. I seem to remember that she was there within a few weeks of Nancy Reagan. Nancy came for a visit with Michael after the Secret Service spent a few hours checking the studio for anything out of the ordinary. It was a studio - everything is out of the ordinary. Both guests were kind and respectful to us.

Rene Moore
    Rene was Bruce Swedien's songwriter/arranger. Rene was the Rene from Rene and Angela - an 80's R&B duo. He was funny could fly on an MPC-60 - Bruce's drum machine of choice. Bruce and I had recorded hundreds of acoustic drums into his MPC, so his sounds were incredible, and Rene was a master at creating great grooves. Can you say "Jam"?

Bruce "Desk Doctor" Millett
    Bruce was (and is) a technical wizard. Professional studios with their mammoth consoles, patch bays and racks of gear take an enormous amount of technical "TLC" to maintain, or the records sound like a Justin Bieber demo. This is old school soldering, oscilloscopes, replacing capacitors, etc. Although you can't "hear" the work of guys like Bruce, the results speak for themselves.

Laura Grover and Nina Greenfield
    Our production coordinators, Laura and Nina helped book studios, musicians, worked on scheduling and day-to-day tasks that we needed help with. Jolie Levine was our production coordinator on the Bad album, so having two peiple helped distribute the work load now that we had three production teams at work. I remember that Nina got married at or near the end of the project, and Laura got very sick one afternoon and I had to rush her to the hospital. Thankfully she was fine and returned to work within a few days.

Lotti Kierkegaard
    Lotti was one of our runners at Record One, who (I believe) was originally from Sweden. I say this with tremendous respect - but she created the most beautiful fruit baskets you have ever seen! Every day she would purchase fresh fruit and arrange it meticulously so when Michael and the crew arrived it looked amazing. She was a friendly, familiar face - part of our little studio family.

Rob Disner
    I have written about Rob before (we are friends to this day), as he was another one of our runners. For the sake of clarity - a studio runner helps keep the studios clean, brings in groceries, lunches, runs errands, etc. Rob brought his dry humor to the team and was sent on several assignments, often from Michael himself. At the risk of stealing Rob's thunder, I believe his favorite story was when Michael sent him out for some fresh "tidy whities", as well as the time Michael asked Rob to bring him some McDonald's food from next door. "What to you want?" Rob asked. "Everything," Michael responded. So... Rob brought back several sacks of Mickie D's for Michael's junk-food extravaganza.

Slam-Dunk Sisters Katherine and Laura
    Speaking of food - Katherine and Laura were Michael's personal chefs, whom he generously commissioned to cook for the entire crew every Friday (Family Fridays). Katherine was more outspoken - the leader of the two. Laura was a bit more reserved, but they could cook! Bruce Swedien loved Family Fridays I think more than anyone, and Katherine and Laura prepared amazing feasts of turkey, roast beef, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, veggies, salads, and of course... banana puddin'. This was my favorite, and Michael's as well. They brought food and laughter to the studio every week.

Aaron Berg
    I love that Aaron received a credit! Aaron was one of the kindest guys I had encountered in my studio-life. He was the rep from 3M tapes - the tape that Bruce Swedien preferred to use on his projects. Back then, the choice was either 3M or Ampex - and they were fierce competitors. It was a big deal for a major artist like Michael to use either 3M or Ampex - it was bragging rights for the manufacture. We used so much tape (hundreds and hundreds of reels, at more than $200/each) that Aaron would personally check on us many times through the project - he was a great friend. If there were any imperfections or problems with a certain batch of tape, Aaron would take care of it immediately. Given the sheer scope of the project, having a guy like Aaron on the team was vital - but his mid-west friendliness made us actually look forward to his visits. (I seem to remember he usually stopped by on Family Fridays for some reason...)

Thom Russo
    Thom and I got to be very close during the Dangerous album, and I have watched his career explode in the best possible way from those early days. Thom has earned more than 12 Grammys for his engineering since our days at Larrabee, primarily with Latin artists. His talent and humor were a huge bonus to the Dangerous album, but one evening he and I were doing some edits to the flugel horn solo on the song "Someone Put Your Hand Out", and we started doing crazy pitch manipulation to the horn. It's hard to explain why it was so funny, but the long hours and constant exhaustion caught up with us as we intensionally destroyed the solo for our own pleasure - and we laughed so hard that I think he rolled on the floor and I wiped tears off my cheeks. Remind me and I'll play it for you sometime at a seminar, but it's sort of one of those "you had to be there" things.

Matt Forger
    My buddy Matt. I am honored to still be good friends with Matt, even if we live a couple thousand miles apart. Matt goes WAY back with Michael, to Thriller. His engineering chops mixed with his warm personality made Matt a fixture on the team. During Dangerous Matt got very involved in digital editing and sonic landscaping. The intro to "Black Or White" (bang bang bang!! "It's too late for this!") is all done by Matt (the dad voice is Bill Bottrell). Vocals, intros, transitions, crazy edits - Matt. Matt was using a giant sampling system that I think was made by Lexicon, but in just a couple years it would be replaced by Pro Tools - the recording format for most studios and engineers around the world. Michael loved Matt, and it was always fun to watch the two of them interact, as they were so comfortable together. They had this bit called "The Matt Forger Show", where Michael would say in a wacky voice, "Ladies and Gentleman, the Matt Forger Show, starring Matt Forger!", then Matt would jump in and say "And featuring today's special guest, Michael Jackson!" I can hear it like it was yesterday.

Steve Porcaro
    Siedah Garrett
    David Paich
    Marty Paich (David's dad)
    Bart Stevens
    Brad Buxer
    This list goes on and on.

It was an amazing project, filled with amazing faces and talents.
    We laughed together.
    We worked together.
    It was innocent.
    It was cut-throat.
    It as huge.
    It was fun.
    It was hard.
    It was a family.
    It was a battlefield.
    It was exhausting.
    It was electrifying.
    It was Dangerous - and I consider it an honor to have worked with each and every person that was part it.

>>>In The Studio With MJ 2018 launches in January with a couple pop-up events in Orlando, followed by an amazing weekend in Tokyo at Noah Studio on January 20th and 21st! New segments. New stories. New insights.<<<

https://ticketbud.com/…/550a83a0-47f...2-1fe0eb34743d

Soon to be announced for 2018:
    London
    Toronto
    Dublin
    Moscow
    New York
    Amsterdam
    Copenhagen
    Stockholm
    Los Angeles
    Edmonton
    Frankfurt

The journey continues..
    Last edited by myosotis; 28-11-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to myosotis For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Cannot WAIT for the New York announcement. I'm gonna make it my obligation to make it there to attend!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I wish he would come to the South! I live in TN, far from all those places haha

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Ced View Post
    I wish he would come to the South! I live in TN, far from all those places haha
    If you want him to do a seminar where you live then get organised and ask him. Thats what the girl who is organising the Dublin event did. Talk to him on social media, suggest your area, then get busy and start getting local interest.

For example here in Ireland there is no real fan community, and those who are active online are very scattered. Our country is about the size of Indiana state. Its very very difficult to organise events. Even for something like Michaels birthday, only 4 fans decided to turn up.

So if Megan can get Brad to do a seminar here, then you can get him to do one where you live.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Oh ok! Thanks for the info. Not sure how many fans there are around here, but Nashville isn't too far and that's a huge music city. I travel there a lot.

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Nice seminar what was held in Milan, good infos and good stuffs

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Milan's seminar was great, an incredible journey through MJ's working process.

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I was at Milan seminar too and I confirm we heard a lot of mindblowing sruff

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Romano For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romano View Post
    I was at Milan seminar too and I confirm we heard a lot of mindblowing sruff
    ... like... like what?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    ... like... like what?
    If you can you should go there because it's an incredible experience
    Last edited by Romano; 16-12-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Ced View Post
    Oh ok! Thanks for the info. Not sure how many fans there are around here, but Nashville isn't too far and that's a huge music city. I travel there a lot.
    I'm in memphis

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wonderouzmj View Post
    I'm in memphis

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    Oh cool, I'm from Memphis but I live in Knoxville right now.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 434 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Romano View Post
    MiB for example ��
    DUDE!! Talk to me Sorry but still tell us everything about MIB please

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170