Men Claim Share of Michael Jackson's Estate (Broderick Morris and Quadree El-Amin)

myosotis

Proud Member
(Apologies if alrready posted...I couldn't see this elsewhere....?)

By WILLIAM DOTINGA

LOS ANGELES (CN) - Two men who say they nursed Michael Jackson's career back to health after his acquittal on child molestation charges claim in court that they are entitled to nearly 2 percent of the late singer's estate.

Broderick Morris and Qadree El-Amin sued John Branca and John McLain, executors of Jackson's estate, in Superior Court.

They claim the King of Pop's publicist Raymone Bain enlisted their help to find "willing investors, business partners and projects" for Jackson after people abandoned him in droves because of the molestation allegations.
Bain is not a party to the complaint.

El-Amin, a principal at Southpaw Management whose clients have included Jackson's sister Janet, Boyz II Men and Vanessa Williams, claims he met Michael Jackson in 1993. He and Jackson knew each other well enough that El-Amin held his wedding at Jackson's Neverland Ranch, according to the complaint.
Morris, a concert promoter based in Japan, says he's produced and promoted concerts for Mariah Carey, Usher, Destiny's Child and Kanye West.
Jackson promised them a 1.6 percent stake in the future Michael Jackson Company, because he had no money left to pay them at the time, the men say in the complaint.

A jury acquitted Jackson of the charges in mid-2005, but Morris and El-Amin say his career was in ruins.
"His reputation had been sullied; he was beset with civil lawsuits and creditors from virtually all quarters. He was on the verge of bankruptcy," the men say in the complaint.
Jackson fled to Bahrain after the trial, ostensibly to escape intense media scrutiny and in hope of getting financial help from that country's Prince Abdullah al-Khalifa. When that failed, Bain called on Morris and El-Amin to resurrect Jackson's career, the men say in the complaint.

"After leaving Bahrain, Mr. Jackson began formulating a plan to revive his career with Ms. Bain, who enlisted the help of [colleague A.] King, El-Amin and Morris to form a joint venture through which they would exploit Mr. Jackson's prodigious talents - not only in the realm of song and dance but in other areas such as animated filmmaking which Jackson had a passionate interest in for years-and contribute their own unique talents, time, efforts and finances toward putting Jackson back on top of the entertainment world as a performer as well as a businessmen," Morris and El-Amin say in the complaint.

In mid-2006, the plaintiff say, they arranged for Jackson to accept a "Legends" award from MTV Japan, and used the trip to meet with Japanese businessmen to explore development of feature films, animation and videogames. The trip restored Jackson's confidence and his image, according to the complaint.
Morris claims he used his Japanese contacts - and a great deal of his own money - to make the trip a success.

"Making arrangements for meetings with potential investors and businesses was neither simple nor easy," according to the complaint. "Many of the Japanese business people with whom the advisers spoke expressed reluctance to become involved with Jackson because of the negative publicity that had surrounded the trial, notwithstanding his acquittal. In addition, Jackson was cash-poor at the time, which required Morris to contribute more than $400,000 to the joint venture in addition to more than $35,000 in salaries owed to Jackson's security team. Nonetheless, their efforts resulted in a productive five-day schedule. The trip began with promotional events and, over the next several days, Jackson met with businessmen and potential investors in each of the projects they had discussed: movie production, animated films and arcade games."

The trip underscored the need to form a new company, since all of Jackson's other endeavors were mired in litigation and financial trouble, Morris and El-Amin say. They claim Jackson feared the troubles would scare off investors, and that all agreed on the need to replace the singer's entire team of lawyers, accountants, business managers and handlers.

Bain returned to the United States and incorporated The Michael Jackson Company, and Jackson named her as its first president, secretary and chief operating officer, according to the complaint. Jackson chaired the company and appointed his mother Katherine Jackson its treasurer.
Under the articles of incorporation, Jackson held 75 percent of the company, and gave his mother and Bain each 10 percent. King, Morris and El-Amin each held a 1.6 percent stake in The Michael Jackson Company, according to the complaint.

Morris and El-Amin claim that they continued working with Bain and Jackson on various projects, including a second trip to Japan. They say filmmaking remained a major focus for Jackson, particularly animated and interactive works.
Bain and King developed opportunities for Jackson in the music world, according to the complaint. They lined up projects with Kanye West, R. Kelly, Babyface and the Black Eyed Peas, the complaint states.

Jackson himself reached out to Sony's then-chairman Rob Weisenthal, Clive Davis and Island Def Jam Records chair L.A. Reid. Jackson also took meetings with executives of Anschultz Entertainment Group, known as AEG.
By late 2008 however, the plaintiffs say, it "suddenly became difficult even for Ms. Bain to reach Mr. Jackson." In March 2009, Jackson announced a series of comeback concerts called "This Is It," produced by AEG.
Initially, Jackson planned 10 shows in London, followed by dates in Paris, New York and Mumbai. AEG chief Randy Phillips estimated the first 10 dates alone would earn Jackson over $75 million. But after selling a million tickets in less than two hours, Jackson expanded the London residency to 50 dates and planned a full, worldwide tour.

Jackson died on June 25, 2009 from a lethal combination of propofol and benzodiazepine intoxication that stopped his heart, three weeks before the first show. The L.A. County coroner ruled the death a homicide, and a jury convicted Jackson's personal doctor, Conrad Murray, of involuntary manslaughter in 2011.
Murray, who is not a party to the complaint, will serve4 years in prison.

After Jackson's death, the executors of his estate - defendants Braca and McLain - conducted business on behalf of the estate through The Michael Jackson Company, but made no effort to contact the company's stakeholders, Morris and El-Amin say. They say they asked to inspect the company's books in December 2012.

"Defendants responded by filing a petition with the probate court in which they claim that the Jackson estate is the sole owner of The Michael Jackson Company," the complaint states.

It continues: "Plaintiffs have not made and do not intend to make a claim on the Jackson estate. Like any other privately held asset, plaintiffs' equity interest in The Michael Jackson Company exists wholly independently of any other equity holder, including the Jackson estate. And by expressly repudiating plaintiffs' interest in the company, defendants have created an actual controversy over the ownership of the company. Thus, by this action plaintiffs seek damages for defendants' breach of the joint venture agreement, and an accounting to ascertain the precise amount they are owed."

Known business ventures conducted by the Jackson estate after the singer's death include the 2009 film "Michael Jackson's This Is It," which earned $260 million worldwide, and from which the Jackson estate received 90 percent of the profits. In March 2010, the estate inked the largest music contract ever with Sony, a $250 million deal to keep Jackson's catalog until 2017 as well as the promise of seven posthumous records.
Three years after the deal, Sony has yet to release any new music from the King of Pop.
Morris and El-Amin seek damages for breach of joint venture agreement and an accounting.
They are represented by Jeffrey Fazio, with Fazio Micheletti, of San Ramon.

http://www.entlawdigest.com/2013/05/09/2373.htm

Last edited:
F off. 2% though? how did they calculate that number?

Hey, I made a deals on Michael's behalf, i want my share too. Where can I collect my check?

Mr El-Amin's attorneys are busy. This is another suit filed by him in late
February 2013. (Source is Ms Bain....)

*Washington, DC
19th feb 2013
– Influential and respected music mogul, Qadree El-Amin, has filed a multi-million dollar lawsuit ($5million+) against Teodoro “Teodorin” Nguema

Obiang Mangue, son of Equatorial Guinea President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, for fraud and breach of contract. This lawsuit comes on the heels of recent

media reports that the French government has seized several of Teodorin’s assets including 11 luxury vehicles … Rolls Royces, Ferrari’s, Bugatti Veyrons and Maserati MC 12s. And, amid reports that investigations are unfolding in other countries against Teodorin, including Spain.

In 2009, Teodorin Obiang approached El-Amin for the purpose of creating an entertainment company to develop musical acts and motion pictures. He wanted

El-Amin to use his skills, expertise and relationships in the Entertainment industry to accomplish this goal.

After entering into an Agreement, El-Amin successfully solicited and negotiated lucrative business deals for the company, recruited and signed artists, and also negotiated licensing and distribution deals.

In addition, El-Amin recruited his longtime friend, the late Mark Kamin, who is credited with discovering Madonna in 1982, to remix the classic, “A Summer Place,” which was successfully cleared for the project and recorded by Pussy Cat Doll, Ashley Roberts, whom El-Amin also recruited for the project. (Kamin introduced Madonna to Seymore Stein of Sire Records, who immediately signed her).

In what seems to be a pattern of behavior, Teodorin Obiang refused to compensate El-Amin, Kamin or the artists. In addition, El-Amin states that Teodorin failed to provide funds for the budget or for recording, videos, marketing, promotional or distribution costs after the projects had been completed.

Says El-Amin, “After several attempts to resolve these issues, Teodorin has refused to act in good faith and has left me with no choice but to file a lawsuit against him. He took advantage of me, the artists, and all of the professionals involved, including my friend, Mark Kamin. “

El-Amin continues, “While we all operated in good faith, it appears Teodorin deliberately and willfully made commitments he knew he had absolutely no intention of fulfilling, and in the process, strung everyone along with fraudulently. Now, he has sought refuge in his country after stiffing a string of reputable professionals in the US entertainment industry. But this is America, and our Justice system does not tolerate fraud or malfeasance.”

source:
Raymone K. Bain
The Raymone K. Bain Companies, LLC
RBain28460@aol.com

http://www.eurweb.com/2013/02/music...gainst-teodoro-teodorin-nguema-obiang-mangue/

I don't understand... all these claims should have been filed against the Estate within the required time limit. What - do they suffer from suppressed memory too? FFS!!! :doh:

^^ That repressed memory is funny thing:)

I think it is just when people realises they are broke, they start looking around to find a suitable place to get money, as the banks are very tight with their money, the next best thing is the estate of Michael jackson :bugeyed

What is going on. Michael died in 09 & these people just realize they had a company with him? Why does the complaint against Teodoro sound like the one against Michael? How come no one wanted to do business with Michael, but so many people are claiming they found backing & opportunities for him? I wonder what will become of this case. First it was Demann & now these guys. 2% of millions is a lot of money.

Any news on when there will be a court date?

I can't believe that Billie Jean had more brains to file "her claim" on time than these two bus. people.

^^That's a good one, especially when we all know about the coo cooness of Billie Jean.

Recently I came across a pair of boots in my closet that triggered a flood of memories. It was a cold and dark night on Hollywood Boulevard, 3 am in the morning and we had just finished filming the last scene for Hollywood Tonight.
I had massive blisters from repeatedly walking through the frame, while also having to endure the angry eyes of the other dancers - but what could I do? The choreographers had actually asked me to do that, I was just doing my job.
Later my face has also been dissected in a "MJ is alive, clues!!" hoax video.
I would kindly ask to be reimbursed for new Dr. Scholls, a roll of medical tape and a vial of Rescue Remedy drops. After I collapsed to the ground from laughing so hard, I quickly got very angry.
Oh, there was also a highly intoxicated person who snuck onto the set -despite security. That prompted me to lock all personal belongings in my car - I had to walk there in my boots which made my blisters even worse.

I know that these boots were made for walking, nowhere did it say I would sustain blisters on an MJ video shoot.

Sincerely,
Pace

Ivy, I have a question about this case
Case Number: BC508258
BRODERICK MORRIS ET AL VS JOHN BRANCA ET AL

Is it possible that 1 attorney can represent parties for both sides?

Parties
BRANCA JOHN - Defendant/Respondent
DOES 1-20 - Defendant/Respondent
EL-AMIN QADREE - Plaintiff/Petitioner
FAZIO | MICHELETTI LLP - Attorney for Plaintiff/Petitioner
JOSEPH GREENWALD & LAAKE P.A. - Attorney for Plaintiff/Petitioner
MC LAIN JOHN - Defendant/Respondent
MORRIS BRODERICK - Plaintiff/Petitioner
WEITZMAN HOWARD ESQ. - Attorney for Defendant/Respondent
WEITZMAN HOWARD ESQ. - Attorney for Petitioner

Weiztman is listed as an attorney for defendant/respondent (Branca and McClain) and for petitioner (EL-AMIN QADREE)?

I don't think he's representing both sides. He probably filed a petition in that case and therefore entered as a attorney for petitioner.

Quadree want this case solved in trial?

Probate Notes

Department LA 5 Court Convened at: 10:00 AM 03/04/2014
Honorable Commissioner David J. Cowan
Sal Jimenez , Deputy County Clerk M. Manskar , Deputy Sheriff
C. Peters, CSR 5667 , Reporter

BP117321 3002 JACKSON, MICHAEL JOSEPH - DECEDENT
Letters of Administr
DETERMINE OWNERSHIP (PC 850)

Petitioner(s): McClain, John Branca, John
Attorney(s): Millet, Patricia A., Esq. Cohen, Jeryll S., Esq.

Continuance Number: 6 Continuance From: Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Last Date Changed: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:18 AM

PRIOR ORDERS: Cont to 3/4/14 @ 10 a.m., R/A; 1/14/14 < re status of discovery >; 10/15/13 < TS > ; 7/15/13; 6/20/13, 10:00 a.m.

Petn filed 1/28/13

OTHER CASES:
BS 132820 & SC 114598 (DeMann Entertainment, Inc. v. John Branca as exr, John McClain, et al.)
BC 508258 (Broderick Morris and Qadree El-Amin v. pentrs as exrs)

SUMMARY:
Petnrs are co-exrs; d/d 6/25/09; ltrs 11/10/09
30-day ntc/copy ok
Acknowledgment of receipt filed 3/4/13 (Qadree El-Amin)

FACTS: Qadree El-Amin claims to be a member of, and have an ownership interest in, The Michael Jackson Company, LLC (the "Company"). There may be other Doe Respondents making a similar claim. The Company is a single-member Delaware LLC whose sole member as of 6/25/09 was decd. Respondent has not provided exrs with any credible evidence to support the claim.

MATTERS TO CLEAR: n/a
OBJECTIONS FILED 5/10/13
RESPONDENT Qadree El-Amin
ATTORNEY Jeffrey L. Fazio, Esq.

SUMMARY:
Respondent is claimant
Verified

ARGUMENT: Respondent and his co-plaintiff, Broderick Morris, have filed a breach of contract civil action. The instant 850 petition should be dismissed or abated until the civil action is concluded. Respondents would be deprived of his right to a jury trial if the instant petition proceeds in probate court.

MATTERS TO CLEAR:
A) No proof of service
RELIEF:
1) JTD estate is sole member and owner of the Company and that no other person has an interest in the Company
2) OBJS/JTD dismiss or abate petn

More info here: Case Number: BC508258
BRODERICK MORRIS ET AL VS JOHN BRANCA ET AL

Ivy, thanks for your update on legal cases
So this case is heading to trial at the end of this year? At least something seems to be going forward.

Broderick Morris / Quadree El-Amin/ Raymone Bain/ Adean King v. MJ Estate

Description:parties claim they helped MJ to revive his career after 2005 and in return were given shares from &#8220;Michael Jackson Company&#8221;. Estate claims MJ was the sole owner of &#8220;Michael Jackson Company&#8221;.

Latest developments: Hearings are ongoing. Discovery was to be completed by end of July. Trial is set for December 2015.

Description: Parties claim they helped MJ to revive his career after 2005 and in return were given shares from &#8220;Michael Jackson Company&#8221;.

^ They should be careful what they claim. R and S might sue them...... :)

There will be a summary judgment hearing first at November. If it survives that it will go to trial. That's the probate claim. there is also a civil case that's on hold pending probate outcome

Ok, thanks Ivy.

@myosotis
If there weren't reporting MJ earning millions, noone would be claiming anything.
Vultures smells money and they want some of it.

So back in 1997 I was 12 yrs old.. I bought blood on the dance floor and AT THE TIME the music I thought sounded cool but the content honestly creeped me out a bit so I walked a good 4 miles to K-mart to swap out my CD for one I was more familiar with.. While there I lost my CD outside and never was able to exchange it.. Not only that because I was trying to kill time procrastinating the walk back I hung out at K-mart for a while, looked at CD's and toys etc. an employee came up to me and kicked me out for suspicion of theft..

Legally speaking of course (sarcasm) shouldn't I be able to sue the estate for..

Count 1: Trama for being without Michael music
Count 2: The time and energy it took my chubby 12 year old @$$ to get to and from K-Mart
Count 3: Not getting money back for the album I purchased since I could not listen to it
Count 4: For being 'assaulted' by a k-mart employee, which would not have happened if I did not buy Blood On The Dance Floor
Count 5: For the emotional distress for being 'banned' from return to the store
Count 6: for the sun burn... I probably got sun burnned a bit considering it was the summer in Arizona.. that sh!* hurts
Count 7: For the album scaring me when i DID listen to it

...I think I should be entited to what??? do you guys think 2% of profit from the estate?... I need millions for my experience!!

So back in 1997 I was 12 yrs old.. I bought blood on the dance floor and AT THE TIME the music I thought sounded cool but the content honestly creeped me out a bit so I walked a good 4 miles to K-mart to swap out my CD for one I was more familiar with.. While there I lost my CD outside and never was able to exchange it.. Not only that because I was trying to kill time procrastinating the walk back I hung out at K-mart for a while, looked at CD's and toys etc. an employee came up to me and kicked me out for suspicion of theft..

Legally speaking of course (sarcasm) shouldn't I be able to sue the estate for..

Count 1: Trama for being without Michael music
Count 2: The time and energy it took my chubby 12 year old @$$ to get to and from K-Mart
Count 3: Not getting money back for the album I purchased since I could not listen to it
Count 4: For being 'assaulted' by a k-mart employee, which would not have happened if I did not buy Blood On The Dance Floor
Count 5: For the emotional distress for being 'banned' from return to the store
Count 6: for the sun burn... I probably got sun burnned a bit considering it was the summer in Arizona.. that sh!* hurts
Count 7: For the album scaring me when i DID listen to it

...I think I should be entited to what??? do you guys think 2% of profit from the estate?... I need millions for my experience!!

I am laugh so hard at this tears are coming out of my eyes go for a cooll 5% you suffer alots here.

Haha!! Thanks for the legal advice... Esate WATCH OUT!! I'm comin' after you. 5% it is.. I can now buy thousands of MJ CD's with that!

So if you guys notice a spike in MJ sales, you know who to thank ;)

Wait.. But that's giving the money back to the Estate!! Damn i'm stuck, but that's where I'd spend my money.. Vicious cycle

Think of the kids i am tried of these ppls coming after the Estate their should have took care of it when Michael was alive now that the Estate is making money everybody want apart of it coming up with these stories of how they help Michael get back on his feet.

Off topic alittle bit i was looking at some footage on Michael and that 911 call really get me every time i hear it. Guys Michael was not ready to leave here he had so many plans he just had a doctor who did not care and Michael trust this doctor because he believe everything was going to be okay sad.:(

Last edited:
Ivy, do you have any updates of this case?
I noticed there were declarations filed by Raymone B etc

I agree like it was mention that if it was not know that Michael Estate is making million no one would be coming after his Estate with a claim. I hope the court throw it out it a waste of time and a crazy claim.

Back