Michael Jackson estate sues over products in Japan

Annita

Proud Member
Michael Jackson estate sues over products in Japan
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/michael-jackson-estate-sues-over-products-japan
By YURI KAGEYAMA

— Oct. 9 5:28 AM EDT

Home » Michael Jackson » Michael Jackson estate sues over products in Japan

FILE - In this March 9, 2007 file photo, U.S. pop singer Michael Jackson greets his fans during an event "Fan Appreciation Day" in Tokyo. Michael Jackson's estate is suing a man and three companies in Japan, alleging they are using the name and likeness of the late pop star on key chains, mugs and other products without permission. The lawsuit filed in Tokyo District Court last month, Sept. 2013, does not seek money but demands the actions stop. It names Ryosuke Matsuura and three companies, Michael Jackson Asian Rights, Michael Jackson Enterprises and Michael Jackson World. (AP Photo/Itsuo Inouye, File)

FILE - In this March 9, 2007 file photo, U.S. pop singer Michael Jackson greets his fans during an event "Fan Appreciation Day" in Tokyo. Michael Jackson's estate is suing a man and three companies in Japan, alleging they are using the name and likeness of the late pop star on key chains, mugs and other products without permission. The lawsuit filed in Tokyo District Court last month, Sept. 2013, does not seek money but demands the actions stop. It names Ryosuke Matsuura and three companies, Michael Jackson Asian Rights, Michael Jackson Enterprises and Michael Jackson World. (AP Photo/Itsuo Inouye, File)

TOKYO (AP) — Michael Jackson's estate is suing a man and three companies in Japan, alleging they are using the name and likeness of the late pop star on key chains, mugs and other products without permission.
The lawsuit filed in Tokyo District Court last month does not seek money but demands the actions stop. It names Ryosuke Matsuura and three companies, Michael Jackson Asian Rights, Michael Jackson Enterprises and Michael Jackson World.

The companies run elaborate online sites that proclaim it owns the rights to Jackson products in Asia, displays photos of the singer, and sells 2,100 yen ($21) towels, 525 ($5) post cards and 10,000 yen ($100) lighters that have his image plastered on them.

The estate said it wants to protect its legitimate partners and preserve the legacy of Jackson, who died in California in 2009 from an anesthetic overdose.

"Many in Japan have been misled by the defendants," the estate said in a statement. "Michael loved his millions of Japanese fans, all of whom deserve the opportunity to purchase legitimate and authentic Michael Jackson goods."
Yutaka Fujino, an executive at one of the companies, said Wednesday he wanted to study the AP's questions before commenting.

Estate attorney Kensuke Ambe said Matsuura is contesting the allegations, but he has not heard back from the others. Matsuura did not answer repeated calls.

The estate estimated the value of the unauthorized products at 123 million yen ($1.23 million), according to the lawsuit documents.

"The defendants are taking advantage of the fact that Michael is dead to act as though they have obtained the rights," the documents said.

Also behind the lawsuit is Triumph, an American company wholly owned by the estate and set up by Jackson to handle his merchandising.

The estate erased nearly $500 million in debt after Jackson's death and keeps churning out new products. It opened a Las Vegas Cirque-du-Soleil show this year and is likely considering additional releases of Jackson-related material to ensure his mother and three children keep living comfortably and fans have new material to see and hear.

Triumph sued another Japanese company that sold Jackson goods and won in 2011.

Japanese are among Jackson's most loyal fans, and many stuck with him through his two trials centered on child-molestation charges, which never resulted in convictions. He repeatedly denied the charges. His death brought much of this nation out in mourning.
___
Follow Yuri Kageyama on Twitter at twitter.com/yurikageyama

Yeah, they are tarnishing michael's legacy by selling mugs and key chains.

It's about protecting MJ intellectual property. That is definitely worth taking legal action.

Michael Jackson's estate is suing a man and three companies in Japan, alleging they are using the name and likeness of the late pop star on key chains, mugs and other products without permission.

The estate said it wants to protect its legitimate partners and preserve the legacy of Jackson, who died in California in 2009 from an anesthetic overdose.

"Many in Japan have been misled by the defendants," the estate said in a statement. "Michael loved his millions of Japanese fans, all of whom deserve the opportunity to purchase legitimate and authentic Michael Jackson goods."

Is anyone condoning the Japanese company selling unauthorised MJ products. Why would you condone or approve of that?

Admin Note: Any references to "Off Topic" Cascio tracks will be deleted . Please Don't derail this thread with that.

Thank you for your cooperation and as always if you have any questions or concerns PM Admin and do not derail the thread by replying or discussing moderation requests on the board.

I hope they win, it's Michael's name, image and likeness - no one has the right to make money off his intellectual property without permission.

The estate is protecting MJ intellectual property, making sure that unauthorized parties don't profit off his image and likeness. it's as simple as that. like it or not, it's their duties as executors to protect MJ intellectual property.

At no point did I say they should not do what they are doing. I was simply pointing out the double standard at play.

Thread cleaned. please knock of the personal insults and accusations. It is not allowed. Tired of cleaning up the messes. If you don't want to receive infractions, please follow the rules and refrain from personal insults and attacks on our members either personally or collectively. Try to stay on topic as well.

Thank you for your cooperation and as always if you have any questions or concerns PM Admin and do not derail the thread by replying or discussing moderation requests on the board.

All I can say is that the last accounting showed the millions of dollars the estate was spending on lawyers around the world, to protect our Guy's intellectual property rights. Given this, it is good to see the Japanese lawyers earning their salary and protecting the rights. The estate can lose billions when you count up all the different items that people can make cheaply and flood the market with. Further, the estate money goes to Michael's heirs, so the estate needs to make money. Michael's products such as belts, pens, cups, shirts, key chains, etc., are sold in Vegas, for example, so if unofficial merchandise is flooding the market, people will not bother about seeking out legit products.

If designers who make and sell sneakers, perfumes, bags, and clothes could go after these types of entities, then why can't the estate do the same and safeguard it's rights? If people feel the estate makes a mistake in one area, when the estate does something right, you can't lament because they did not duplicate their past mistake. We can't say they did not follow up with the Mirror situation, so they should not follow up with the Japanese situation. Or because they followed up with the Mirror case, they should follow up with the Japanese case. Businesses make decisions all the time about what they will do or if they will continue with a plan they had. Sometimes they weigh the time and money to be invested vs what would be gained. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the Mirror situation, because I don't have the estate facts, but it seems to me you can't judge these 2 types of decisions as being equal.

I think it's important that they protect and uphold things like this.

But I do think it needs to be across the board. Going after little fights and letting the bigger ones go irks me a bit.

If designers who make and sell sneakers, perfumes, bags, and clothes could go after these types of entities, then why can't the estate do the same and safeguard it's rights?

They can and they should. But there are more serious issues that should be addressed legally in order to protect the reputation and legacy of the man that they make their money from. Thats what stinks.

This is so Joe Jackson's and Dieter Wiesner's handy work.

"The estate said it wants to protect its legitimate partners and preserve the legacy of Jackson."

They are damn right to go after these crooks that are trying to make money of Michael without permission from his estate. As far as I understand, the estate struck excusive deal with Bravado (don't know if it covers Asia), but Triumph International Inc owns licencing rights.

-------------------------

"The lawsuit filed in Tokyo District Court last month, Sept. 2013, does not seek money but demands the actions stop. It names Ryosuke Matsuura and three companies, Michael Jackson Asian Rights, Michael Jackson Enterprises and Michael Jackson World."

http://www.jwjackson.com/2012/07/12/tokyo-japan/
take a look at tag after the post: Tags: Dieter Wiesner, Joseph Jackson, Matsuura, Tokyo Japan

That's what Joe and Dieter went to Japan to do, shady deals behind the estate:angry:

and here is what Leslie wrote MJ Asian rights:
http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.ie/2012/08/michael-jackson-asia-rights-co-ii.html

and another older one
http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.hu/2010/07/michael-jackson-asia-rights-story.html

Btw, it's just not a keyrings and mugs, they website shows the whole lot of stuff they sell illegally.

If Jackson family would just stop using MJ and his image as their very own money maker, his estate lawyers would save a fortune because they did need to hire lawyers for thise kind of cases.

Last edited:
Michael Jackson Estate Sues Over Products in Japan

By Associated Press | October 09, 2013 4:25 PM EDT

Michael Jackson's estate is suing a man and three companies in Japan, alleging they are using the name and likeness of the late pop star on key chains, mugs and other products without permission.

The lawsuit filed in Tokyo District Court last month does not seek money but demands the actions stop. It names Ryosuke Matsuura and three companies, Michael Jackson Asian Rights, Michael Jackson Enterprises and Michael Jackson World.

The companies run elaborate online sites that proclaim it owns the rights to Jackson products in Asia, displays photos of the singer, and sells 2,100 yen ($21) towels, 525 ($5) post cards and 10,000 yen ($100) lighters that have his image plastered on them.

Yutaka Fujino, an executive at one of the companies, said Wednesday he wanted to study the AP's questions before commenting.

Estate attorney Kensuke Ambe said Matsuura is contesting the allegations, but he has not heard back from the others. Matsuura did not answer repeated calls.

The estate estimated the value of the unauthorized products at 123 million yen ($1.23 million), according to the lawsuit documents.

"The defendants are taking advantage of the fact that Michael is dead to act as though they have obtained the rights," the documents said.

Also behind the lawsuit is Triumph, an American company wholly owned by the estate and set up by Jackson to handle his merchandising.

The estate erased nearly $500 million in debt after Jackson's death and keeps churning out new products. It opened a Las Vegas Cirque-du-Soleil show this year and is likely considering additional releases of Jackson-related material to ensure his mother and three children keep living comfortably and fans have new material to see and hear.

Triumph sued another Japanese company that sold Jackson goods and won in 2011.

Japanese are among Jackson's most loyal fans, and many stuck with him through his two trials centered on child-molestation charges, which never resulted in convictions. He repeatedly denied the charges. His death brought much of this nation out in mourning.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5748224/michael-jackson-estate-sues-over-products-in-japan

Last edited:
They can and they should. But there are more serious issues that should be addressed legally in order to protect the reputation and legacy of the man that they make their money from. Thats what stinks.

Agreed.

This is so Joe Jackson's and Dieter Wiesner's handy work.

"The lawsuit filed in Tokyo District Court last month, Sept. 2013, does not seek money but demands the actions stop. It names Ryosuke Matsuura and three companies, Michael Jackson Asian Rights, Michael Jackson Enterprises and Michael Jackson World."

http://www.jwjackson.com/2012/07/12/tokyo-japan/
take a look at tag after the post: Tags: Dieter Wiesner, Joseph Jackson, Matsuura, Tokyo Japan

That's what Joe and Dieter went to Japan to do, shady deals behind the estate:angry:

and here is what Leslie wrote MJ Asian rights:
http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.ie/2012/08/michael-jackson-asia-rights-co-ii.html

and another older one

Btw, it's just not a keyrings and mugs, they website shows the whole lot of stuff they sell illegally.

About Wiesner I always like it to read.
How often I said to my friend "Wiesner is working und selling in East Asia and Branca let him and is doing nothing" and always my friend says "Wait! It isn't that Branca is doing nothing. He is just wait. He is waiting for the right time and then he will acting. If you don't read about it is not meaning Branca is not working. He works in his own way. We will hear about it when Branca is having all the facts waterproof."
And she was right and again I was too impatient.

Many thanks Mr. Branca! Wiesner was (or is until today) living of Michael's cost since 1996.
He too like others must accept that it is an end with this. He must do a search for a honestly work.

There is another company too: "Michael Jackson Mystery Holdings Limited" etablished in HongKong on 08.10.1997.
It was founded not from Wiesner but from his compagnons Karl Neubacher and maybe Udo Schaar and it possibly is still exist.

About Wiesner I always like it to read.
How often I said to my friend "Wiesner is working und selling in East Asia and Branca let him and is doing nothing" and always my friend says "Wait! It isn't that Branca is doing nothing. He is just wait. He is waiting for the right time and then he will acting. If you don't read about it is not meaning Branca is not working. He works in his own way. We will hear about it when Branca is having all the facts waterproof."
And she was right and again I was too impatient.

Many thanks Mr. Branca! Wiesner was (or is until today) living of Michael's cost since 1996.
He too like others must accept that it is an end with this. He must do a search for a honestly work.

There is another company too: "Michael Jackson Mystery Holdings Limited" etablished in HongKong on 08.10.1997.
It was founded not from Wiesner but from his compagnons Karl Neubacher and maybe Udo Schaar and it possibly is still exist.

Branca gets too much of credit for doing nothing or doing too much:)
People don't understand that Branca is an entertainment lawyer, he doesn't have qualifications for all sort of lawsuits, so him and McClain get the lawyers that are spesialised in certain area to sort out certain cases. They have a different lawyer for copyright infrigments, they have different lawyer for Tohme case, different lawyers for other. I would think that the executors personally have very little involvement in cases other than getting in best lawyers for these different cases.

Anyways, I'm clad they have lawyers in Japan that are going after anyone who is illegally making money of Michael's image.

Branca gets too much of credit for doing nothing or doing too much:)
People don't understand that Branca is an entertainment lawyer, he doesn't have qualifications for all sort of lawsuits, so him and McClain get the lawyers that are spesialised in certain area to sort out certain cases. They have a different lawyer for copyright infrigments, they have different lawyer for Tohme case, different lawyers for other. I would think that the executors personally have very little involvement in cases other than getting in best lawyers for these different cases.

Bubs, it is really pity. My posting is obviouly unclear and so you could not discern the core of it.
My posting was simply an expression of my joy and in my first flush of excitement i told from my impatience. This was unnecessary, I know it.

Do you want my posting removed?

Last edited:
Bubs, it is really pity. My posting is obviouly unclear and so you could not discern the core of it.
My posting was simply an expression of my joy and in my first flush of excitement i told from my impatience. This was unnecessary, I know it.

Do you want my posting removed?

Sorry if I came across rude prick, I didn't mean it, and I apologise if I made you feel bad:-(

I understood perfectly your post and meaning of it, and agree with it.

It is great that Branca, not personally but he got the right people for the purpose, thse crooks that are using Michael's image and likeness to make money.

My comment about Branca wasn't directed at your post, it was more like general comment for all fans that I have seen giving credit/blame for Branca for something that he hasn't done. I've seen fans blaming him if song quality is not up to their standards, like himself was in the studio mixing it and giving instructions. He has people for it and he needs to trust those people doing their job. There are many similar credit/blame occasitions for Branca to be listed but you got my point?

Addition, there was a post on page 1
"They can and they should. But there are more serious issues that should be addressed legally in order to protect the reputation and legacy of the man that they make their money from. Thats what stinks."

This is what I meant that Branca gets too much credit/blame. To be honest, it is not like Branca has travelled to Japan to sue these crooks so he doesn't have time to take care of other issues. He just gets right people to take care of issues outside of his scope and he does what he knows the best and have qualifications.

Last edited:
No, Bubs, I really didn't presume that Mr. Branca flew in person flew to Tokyo (yey-yes: this forum educated me!).
But joking apart. Because I'm down again:

This suit again will not hit Wiesner directly. Unless Mr. Matsuura will suit him.
Unfortunately this Matsuura webside is empty now but I think the stuff there was all with Michael's old HIStory logo.(?)
Now, somehow Wiesner this logo has to his disposal and he sells licences. He can do this because his possible (or obviously) fraud in connection with the lost from logo is statute-barred.
But Wiesner can not give the right for the use of Michael's name/images/likeness et all. And without this the logo is worthless. It is a logo but without relation to Michael Jackson.
This had to know every licence taker. Ignorance is no excuse and therefore the estate sued Mr. Matsuura an the 3 compagnies.

Probebly Wiesner had told nothing about this problem because Mr. Matsuura wouldn't have bought this licence.
And so it is much to be hoped that Mr. Matsuura will sue Wiesner.

I did not write anything about Cascio tracks. Yet my comment was deleted.
Explain!
All questions or concerns about a deleted post must be sent by PM to the Admin. They will look into it and reinstate if it wasn't. Also MJJC rules state not to derail threads by discuss moderation actions. So Just PM Admin if you are concerned or have questions.

OK_ I just viewed the deleted posts. You pretty much reposted the same comment, so it would be Redundant to reinstate the first one. I think the first one just got caught up in the frey of the off topic discussion and arguments that were deleted in the thread.

Mneme are you seeing that some people who want to use Michael's name/image illegally are going to Asia and market and sell the products there? Do they see Asia as a safe haven?

Mneme are you seeing that some people who want to use Michael's name/image illegally are going to Asia and market and sell the products there? Do they see Asia as a safe haven?

I can't say with proof, Petrarose, because it is more a combination.

In all this businesses Wiesner (and Joe Jackson) were a part:

2010 in Germany was foundet UDGroup who sells cheap stuff with Michaels old HIStory logo on it.
There were 1 frontman/1 frontwoman in this company but we had seen a video from opening day with Wiesner in it. (Wiesner in a business never is named directly somewhere with his name but I guess he is always behind business affairs about Michael Jackson if these affairs are outside from Estate or Bravado.
This Logo should be Wiesner's key for a parallel merchandising:
Because the logo without Michaels image was worthless W. fetched Joe Jackson on board and so he could used the name "Jackson". In this time they created Joe Champagner, icecream, lollipops etc., all things with the logo on it.
But Germany wasn't a good area for this business because there were a few fans who watched continuously the activities from UD, wrote about them in the fora and dug again and again in this old logo story and who was involved in the lost, he had get it 2006 an why suddenly it Wiesner can available about it.
This restlessness wasn't good for the UD business and so UD disappeared UD from Germany.
And the HIStory logo who was registered in the patent-/brand-office since 2001 was disappered in Oct. 2011 too.
Now, Wiesner could'nt take this logo to the moon...

To the same time we all could read about Wiesner's travelling with Michael's father a few times to Sued-East-Asia. We read about a big hotel with a big merchandising shop in it.
And now all what was to do was a bit search in the internet.

Most enlightened was Leslie's Blog!!!!!! She wrote at 07/18/2010 under the headline The "Michael Jackson Asia Rights" Story:
"The new people interfering with MJ's businesses established a company called "Michael Jackson Asia Rights Co." (mja-rights.com) for the local licensing rights, and are ready to create a management entity under "Michael Jackson Asia Co.".
(leslie if you read this you should know it is very sad that you are away!)

There is a screen shoot what we had take in Sept. 2012 with many merchandising articles under the title
"The Kinf Of Pop Michael Jackson Official Goods Catalog, 1998 Michael Jackson Asian Rights Co.LTD. All Rights Reserved". and ALL stuff it with Michael's old logo.....
what Wiesner has lost because he hadn't paid the bills for the 10,000 loudspeakers and the manager from this company was a buddy from him.
Really I hope Mr. Branca is after Wiesner because he was the worst for Michael and not only for Michael.

It is unknown where (in which country) this logo is registered now. Therefore it is unknown too who is the owner from logo.

Bubs;3916800 said:
Michael Jackson Estate Sues Over Products in Japan
By Associated Press | October 09, 2013 4:25 PM EDT

Saturday, 26th June 2010
Estate Challenges Japanese Company

Michael’s Estate has challenged a Japanese company, Michael Jackson Asian Rights Co. who say they have the rights to use Michael’s image on a mobile phone that supposedly will help the world’s children.

Zia Modabber, a lawyer for the Estate, said he was contacted within the last month by Richard Ryosuke Matsuura, the vice president of the Tokyo-based Michael Jackson Asian Rights Co. Modabber said Matsuura offered to sell the merchandising rights back to the estate, but Modabber declined. The Estate will now explore its options for contesting the company’s claims. “I am telling you unequivocally, these people do not have the rights they claim to have,” Modabber told The Associated Press in an interview.

The latest dispute emerged yesterday, the day after the estate challenged a Japanese film distributor over campaign materials that said a documentary on Michael’s life was authorized, when it was not. The estate said the distributor had agreed to take down the campaign materials ahead of the film’s debut yesterday, on more than one-hundred and twenty-five screens in Japan.

A Japanese company called mThink Inc. issued a press release about its plans to sell a mobile phone service in partnership with the Michael Jackson Asian Rights Co. The service, called “Michael Jackson MOBILE for the children,” would include a branded handset and pre-installed application with special Michael digital content. Use of the application would generate funds intended to be donated to the world’s children, it said.

Phone calls to mThink and the Michael Jackson Asian Rights Co. went unanswered early Saturday morning Japan time.

Modabber said Matsuura’s claim may have stemmed from dealings that his father, Ryosuke Matsuura, who had dealings with Michael in 1998.

The two had developed business plans together, but a final contract wasn’t completed, said Modabber, who was Michael’s lawyer at the time and is now employed by the estate.

The deal was meant to assign rights for ten years only and cover only certain projects including a theme park, hotel and toy store, he said.

Universal Music Group’s Bravado unit currently manages the rights for Michael’s merchandise in Japan.

Source: AP

===========

Funny! Wiesner calls the websides with the same names as 2002/03: mjworld, mjenterprises, mjone,...

Mneme thanks so much for news^^. It would be interesting to see if the company making these products in Japan have any silent partners that we know!!!

Back