Sylvester Stallone's painting about Michael

HIStory

Proud Member
Sylvester Stallone has an exhibition of his paintings. He has one painting about MJ as well. (Source: http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-ne...ester-stallone-art-154121893.html?cache=clear )

11avpxl.jpg

It's called "Unnamed (Michael Jackson)" and is said to portray the difference of the real person from the image presented in the media. They are exhibiting this painting with other works of Stallone in Russian Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia now.

I am sorry if I sound dumb but what is it suppose to show about Michael?

I love Sly. My favourite actor. I love Rocky and First Blood. Such classics. I didn't know he is such a great painter. Amazing work, great talent. I knew he was a fan because he went to see Mike on both Bad and Dangerous Tours and even took a picture backstage. Two icons.

Sylvester Stallone is trading his boxing gloves for a paintbrush.

The "Rocky" star unveiled a 30-piece collection of artwork that he's created over the past four decades in an exhibition called "Sylvester Stallone. Painting. From 1975 — Until Today" at The Russian Museum in St. Petersburg on Monday. The venue, which draws more than 1 million visitors per year, is ranked the 51st most-visited museum in the world, making it quite the artistic coup for the Oscar-nominated actor, whose works have been previously displayed in Miami and Switzerland.
<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="1" id="yui_3_9_1_1_1383110272595_318" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">
View gallery
24305c22-73b2-4d84-a1b8-7fe434ea3030_2048_SylvesterStallone1.jpg
</figure>More of Stallone's artwork on display. (Reuters)

Stallone, 67, who is best known for his action-packed flicks like "Rambo," "Rocky," and, most recently, "The Expendables," studied art prior to launching his Hollywood career and claims that while he enjoys acting, he's much better suited for the artist's studio.

"I think I'm a much better painter than an actor," Stallone told journalists.

"It's much more personal and I'm allowed to just do what I want to do. Quite often in acting you have to play a certain part, you cannot speak as much as you want to speak. I suppose the heroes don't talk much, you have to be very stoic."

His latest exhibit, which runs through January 13, showcases many familiar characters and contemporaries from his life, but according to the museum, "they are not portraits in the traditional understanding of the word."

The museum website explains the collection: "Frantic form and color are used in the large-scale transfigurations that breathe new life and energy into the people who surround the artist, or the celebrated actor who is the idol of millions."
<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="2" id="yui_3_9_1_1_1383110272595_321" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">
View gallery
5c7ac7d2-3bdd-49e5-b9e4-51954fa40a6a_2048_SylvesterStallone4_102913.jpg
</figure>Sylvester Stallone's artwork on display in St. Petersburg. (Reuters)

One painting showcases the late Michael Jackson in a colorful display of brushstrokes, while another is a rendered photograph of Sly's bulging muscles from his turn as The Italian Stallion.
Naturally, critics are already lining up to deliver the final blow on Sly's art career and blasting the museum for showcasing the work of an actor.
<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="3" id="yui_3_9_1_1_1383110272595_324" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">
View gallery
eddef09c-acaf-484d-8711-6fb30ada8dd2_2048_SylvesterStallone2.jpg
</figure>The artwork is extremely colorful. (Reuters)

However, museum director Vladimir Gusev stood by Stallone and said the paintings "show the character of a passionate man" and were not simply "the work of an amateur."

"This is a real artist," Gusev continued. "The Russian museum does not show weak artists."
More than 1,000 patrons have already viewed the collection.
<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="4" id="yui_3_9_1_1_1383110272595_327" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">
View gallery
c3d283be-c81a-47f8-b85b-4b4d64662138_2048_SylvesterStallone5_102913.jpg
</figure>Thousands show up at the exhibit's opening. (Reuters)

"I watched Stallone's movies, I'm not surprised that such a macho man can make paintings. I want to look at them," 49-year-old Natalia Akimova, a museum patron said.

Others were not as convinced. "I'm sure these paintings wouldn't be up if someone else produced them," Igor Savenko said.

Stallone said that he hopes people like his work and that he never imagined his paintings would be on display in the prestigious art house, but he wasn't afraid of a few jabs from critics.

"If my visit is a challenge for somebody, let it be so."
<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="5" id="yui_3_9_1_1_1383110272595_330" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">
View gallery
da2f47d7-6697-478e-aa1b-3c1c7d3ab173_2048_SylvesterStallone6_102913.jpg
</figure>Fans take photos. (Reuters)

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-ne...ester-stallone-art-154121893.html?cache=clear

Sly was at the Bad and Dangerous tour so i'd imagine that he's an MJ fan. Or at least i hope he is

Michael-Jackson-and-Sylvester-Stallone-17597228136.jpeg

slyjackson.jpg

That's so awesome. I had no idea he was such an artists in that sense. I always liked Stallone.

I remember that Sylvester's mum always defended Michael. I got the impression that they were friends.

great photo's, Sylvester is for sure a great artist & actor. many talents, i think michael would like this work if he were here today to witness it :)

I remember that Sylvester's mum always defended Michael. I got the impression that they were friends.

That's great and i think that Arnold Schwarzenegger who is Stallone's friend as also defended Michael

I am sorry if I sound dumb but what is it suppose to show about Michael?

If you look at the painting there are serveral colors, light is next to him as well as shadow.
Light can be seen as 'all the great things he did' and the shadow and the dark colors can be seen as 'the evil power he had to survive'
The great part of art is that you can form more than one interpretations and especially with modern art.
So my conclusion can be totally different than Stallone's.

But I really like his work!
Great art :)

^Thank you. When I look at the picture I feel I see pain. It looks sad to me.

If no one here as seen the Rocky films then I highly recommend them

'Never Ever Land'

Stallone's work is influenced by abstract expressionism.

It's as if emotion is thrown onto the canvasses in red (Stallone's favorite color, according to the museum), black and yellow.

Each painting lives in its own world, like "Never Ever Land," 2010, where Stallone paints the downfall of Michael Jackson, who's life is collapsing around him as he's dressed in his iconic 1990s military jacket, with strands of black hair draped over his face.

montage.jpg

Above: “Finding Rocky”, mixed media and artist’s frame, 1975. “Never Ever Land”, mixed media and artist’s frame, 2010. ”Hercules O’Clock”, mixed media and artist’s frame, 1991. Photos © Sandra Bauknecht.

http://www.sylvesterstallone.com/art/

I've always respected and admired Sly. He seems like a really great guy and he's so talented. I think these paintings show that he respected Michael, because why else would you paint him in that way? Really interesting.

Michael also used to go over to his house in the 80ties. Brigitte Nielsen wrote about it in her book, in Danish.. I don't remember the details, but it was only positive.

It's hard to imagine that a man who appears so tough and brave on screen, enjoys painting with watercolors, and has gained a liking for painting flowers.

1_pyjwf.jpg

If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair!

I've noticed that a lot of the macho celebrities seem to be MJ fans. Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Lou Ferrigno and i think a good majority of the people from WWE like him as well.

Not really feeling these, but I'm not such a big fan of paintings nor an Art expert, so yeah, haha

Back