Unreleased Tracks found in Jackson's storage unit

Zakk

Proud Member
Unreleased Michael Jackson tracks:

There were more than 250 unreleased Michael Jackson tracks found in an abandoned storage unit. Some of the songs were recorded with Tina Turner, and all tracks were made during the time when the King of Pop was doing recording contracts.

http://dangerouslee.biz/2013/08/19/top-5-hidden-treasures-found-in-abandoned-storage-units/

another article showcasing the find:http://magellanstorageblog.com/tag/celebrities-and-self-storage/

''Over 250 unreleased Michael Jackson recordings were found in a storage unit that had belonged to his father, Joe Jackson. These songs were done at a time when Michael Jackson wasn’t under a recording contract with a specific company. There hasn’t been news yet of these recordings going public.''

meaning, no one has right's to these song's? they were owned and abandoned by Michael's own father, i need to know.. have the estate got these recording's back? do they know own them? or because these song's have no copyright's against them, this man is the only person to have them? there's 25 albums worth of material there. i've literally been depressed since i read this, i need some comfort. thank you.

Edit: article written providing details of the estate suing Mann over these song's and the plans he had to bring them to the public. i sure hope this means the estate own these song's now?? https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...=qXevfG5rDFrO75Fie0XGrA&bvm=bv.57752919,d.d2k

Last edited:
Re: Unreleased Michael Jackson Tracks found in abandoned storage unit

how reliable is that source? i hope it's true

Not gonna lie, I hope these are all post-Off the Wall recordings. I really don't care about songs done with the Jackson 5 or the Jacksons.

Not gonna lie, I hope these are all post-Off the Wall recordings. I really don't care about songs done with the Jackson 5 or the Jacksons.

I do. IMO Triumph is up there with Michael's solo albums, so I'm definitely interested in Jacksons stuff too. But the only time he wasn't under contract would have been the period after leaving Motown and before joining CBS. How long was that period? To me the claim sounds fishy but if it's true then it's most probably J5-Jacksons era stuff.

me too, but the latest news we have of this is that howard weitzman was suing howard mann. how can we know the estate managed to get these song's? katherine planned to release these song's to the public as it says in the article, we can't be sure what's happened with them though.. if the estate have them, that's another 25 albums to be looking forward to :D

edit: full article, doesn't mention whether the estate now own these song's. so no cofirmation if we'll ever hear them;

''Michael Jackson's estate is readying to sue a businessman who has gone into business with Jackson's own mother, Katherine. Howard Mann acquired a "treasure trove" of Michael Jackson items when he paid off an overdue bill on a storage locker rented by Jackson's father, Joe. Within the locker were tapes of more than 250 unreleased songs, as well as nearly 20,000 photos of the pop legend.

Now Mann is working with Katherine Jackson to bring these items to the public, but is, meanwhile, cutting the Jackson estate and children out of the proceeds. So says estate lawyer, Howard Weitzman. Mann and Katherine are releasing a book of photos this week called, "Never Can Say Goodbye." Mann also has plans with Katherine to release several albums featuring the previously unheard songs, as well as a possible biopic on Katherine herself.

Weitzman calls all of these deals an "exploitation" of "estate assets" and that he will take "whatever action is necessary to prevent him from unlawfully profiting." The attorney told TMZ that Mann "may be using his relationship with Mrs. Jackson to infringe upon Michael Jackson's copyrights ... to the detriment of, among others, Michael's 3 kids."

i just wanna hear the songs with Tina Turner lol

Unfortunately I think this will all be Jacksons era stuff and not solo. I'm honestly not interested in any of that stuff, so it's a shame.

I'm skeptical to be honest. Any proper sources that aren't blogs? Besides, assuming it is true, why wouldn't they clear out the storage unit once they were finished with it...

If the number is right, it's quite a bit of material to just forget about...

To answer your question about copyright, I believe in America if one creates something (ie a recording, photograph or video extra), it is automatically copyrighted (usually by the person/studio who created it). Not sure who it would be to though for this case.

Unfortunately I think this will all be Jacksons era stuff and not solo. I'm honestly not interested in any of that stuff, so it's a shame.

you can't just think at what it may be tbh, i'm fairly sure it is all of Michael's solo work. i just hope the estate did get the right's to these song's and will release them in the future, it will extend the future of projects to about 200 years+

you can't just think at what it may be tbh, i'm fairly sure it is all of Michael's solo work. i just hope the estate did get the right's to these song's and will release them in the future, it will extend the future of projects to about 200 years+

200 years? Whaaaaaat.

I mean, you're probably assuming every song is good enough to release... Which a fair amount probably isn't.

Should the recordings, if they exist, be solo material by MJ and were not produced under a contract like the article says, the estate should have little trouble getting the rights returned to them I imagine.

Last edited:

This is nothing new, just old news that was just brought up in an article about treasure found in storage. There is more info about this case against Howard Mann by the Estate in our Trials and Tribulations forum.

From the best of my recollection, the Jackson owed money and the storage was held as collateral so to speak. It was mainly clothing, memorabilia, photo's ect... and although Howard Mann became owner of the physical property in the storage, he didn't have any right to distribute or publish the intellectual property. Songs, video's etc. because they are copyright. Just like the song La Mia can be sold at auction as physical CD but it can't be copied and sold in mass or published.

Howard Mann was sued by the Estate had to take down his website that used MJ image etc. where he was profiting from it and selling Kats book on it as well because of their partnership. As far as I know the Estate was not able to take possession of the physical property owned by Howard Mann only block distribution and use of any of Michael's intellectual property images, music etc

The tracks in that storage are old J5 tracks and I very much doubt 250 unreleased. Michael didn't store his own solo work there. (He isn't an idiot) The storage contained unused things the Jackson's had in storage for years and a few things of MJ's were there.

Know your History

For more info
MJ Estate Sues Howard Mann and business partner Henry Vaccaro - Settlement reached

So we'll never hear those song's then? that's just disgraceful, i'm sick of all this going down the drain.. so many thing's wasted, i'm embarrassed for Michael knowing his art is just a toy to some people.

What songs ?? This is not Michael's lost art, you are injecting things that are not there based on these unfounded blurbs on these storage sites (taken from sensational headlines) There was NEVER 250 Unreleased MJ tracks or J5 tracks. I have no idea what songs were even stored there. But they were not anything MJ was working on maybe just some old J5 demos and tracks, certainly not masters. Im sure if there is anything of value they will be released one day. Much of the clothing and memorabilia from that storage has turned up at auction.

From what I've heard. The stuff in the storage was mostly backing tapes from the Jacksons' variety show and tracks recorded by artists who were signed to Jacksons Records and Ivory Tower Records (labels run by Joe Jackson in the 70s and 80s). There was an unreleased duets album by Randy and Janet that was recorded in 1977 that was among the tapes along with 1 or 2 Jacksons songs including a Goin' Places outtake called "Give Her What She Wants"

there was a detailed list of what the tapes had but the link is dead now last I checked

Here is some more detailed info

All of the items come from a storage unit that Joe failed to pay for and Vaccaro/Mann bought during bankruptcy of Joe, Katherine and some siblings of MJ.

Detailed explanation from TSCM

Everything about the collection has been shrouded in secrecy and confusion. I did exhaustive research and investigation into the subject over the course of several years. In short, Henry Vaccaro owns Vintage Pop (Vintage Associates). He acquired the memorabilia collection and audio tapes years ago--even though the original court order forbade him from taking items belonging to MJ or Janet since they weren't part of the bankruptcy case that Katherine, Joe, and some other siblings were. A misguided ruling years later allowed Vacarro to quickly sweep up everything in there (MJ/Janet items as well) despite the original court order. Howard Mann is a business associate of Vaccaro who has helped with the Web site and marketing etc., they are both doing business under the Vintage Pop name.

They (originally just Henry Vaccaro) had worked on creating JacksonSecretVault and numerous variants of it for many years in order to charge money for online access to photos of these items. In 2004, MJ was successful in shutting down the first incarnation of the site (which was promoted by tabloids, Diane Dimond, etc.) due to the illegalities of the acquired collection which the court agreed with. In 2007, "Vintage Pop" aka Vaccaro made a deal to sell the collection to Richard Altomare of Universal Express, to auction everything off. The parties involved, including Richard Altomare, grossly exaggerated the value of these items (their estimates went as high as $200,000,000) but the auction actually grossed a mere $500,000. Henry V. wanted them to pay him $4 million for the collection but they only paid him $150,000 advance, and as such more litigation ensued and Vintage Pop resumed the alleged rights to the collection. MJ and Janet successfully sued Universal Express/Richard Altomare in 2007 after he circumvented a previously agreed upon settlement and tried to auction off items prohibited by the the agreement. Altomare was ordered to pay their legal fees and turn over the remaining collection he had. In the meanwhile, Vintage Pop and two other companies were also alleging ownership of the collection, but the other companies eventually buckled. Universal Express as a whole crashed and burned soon after the auction mess and is now completely gone--Richard Altomare served time in jail for unrelated fraud after this case concluded, and he never did pay the legal fees for MJ/Janet.

The audio recordings were also part of the Universal Express / Vintage Pop agreement. They had planned on holding multiple auctions, one of which would be for these audio recordings, but this was illegal as they are protected by copyrights. Altomare tried to sell them under the table at one point but was ordered to turn them over to court, although it took a long time for him to do so and he may have only turned over a small number of them to court. Again, they are protected by copyright and cannot be sold. Either way, shortly after all of this mess, Henry Vacarro/Vintage Pop created another site to try and sell the recordings which he still seemed to have access to. He posted terrible remixes of published songs and was seeking millions of dollars for them. However, the tapes were not unique or original as he claimed, but instead were audio tracks for the Jackson Variety Show from the 1970s and perhaps a few other known and released tracks from the Jacksons circa 1970s (e.g., Destiny). At the time, he described them as "unique mechanicals rerecorded for the Jackson Variety Shows which aired in the mid 1970's."

In 2008-2009 (before June 25th) he had another "J5 Secrets" operating where he was charging access for low resolution, watermarked photo scans of Michael and the family that he had acquired from the ill-gotten collection. To deter fans from investing in such a scheme that MJ and courts opposed, I posted higher resolution, unwatermarked versions of all the photos he was charging access for.

Fast forward today, and now Katherine and other family members appear to have been suckered into these schemes by "Vintage Pop" aka Henry Vacarro and Howard Mann. Photos from the same collection that I shared long ago and what Vintage Pop tried to charge for have now been converted into the book that Katherine has been promoting through Howard Mann, which they are all trying to profit from...

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3053171&postcount=383

This is nothing new, just old news that was just brought up in an article about treasure found in storage. There is more info about this case against Howard Mann by the Estate in our Trials and Tribulations forum.

From the best of my recollection, the Jackson owed money and the storage was held as collateral so to speak. It was mainly clothing, memorabilia, photo's ect... and although Howard Mann became owner of the physical property in the storage, he didn't have any right to distribute or publish the intellectual property. Songs, video's etc. because they are copyright. Just like the song La Mia can be sold at auction as physical CD but it can't be copied and sold in mass or published.

Howard Mann was sued by the Estate had to take down his website that used MJ image etc. where he was profiting from it and selling Kats book on it as well because of their partnership. As far as I know the Estate was not able to take possession of the physical property owned by Howard Mann only block distribution and use of any of Michael's intellectual property images, music etc

The tracks in that storage are old J5 tracks and I very much doubt 250 unreleased. Michael didn't store his own solo work there. (He isn't an idiot) The storage contained unused things the Jackson's had in storage for years and a few things of MJ's were there.

Know your History

For more info
MJ Estate Sues Howard Mann and business partner Henry Vaccaro - Settlement reached

So basically it's the Vaccaro vault (that's what Howard Mann bought).

ETA: Oh, just read your post before. So it confirms basically that this claim about 250 never before heard unreleased material is a gross exaggeration, most of it is known and released material.

Last edited:
Back