Best Music Videos Ever Made - Scream at #12.

bobmoo79

Proud Member
http://avmax.tech2.in.com/features/...ever-made-scream-janet-michael-jackson/923222

michaeljacksonandjanetscream61_131330475960_640x360.jpg

Only the King of Pop can make a video shot entirely in black and white look sexy. In hibernation onboard a spaceship, Michael and Janet suddenly wake up as the spaceship’s systems come alive and proceed to do what they do best — create mayhem, while looking ‘oh-so’ cool. The pristine white interiors only make the two, in wicked black, stand out all the more.

Romanek has also used dizzying camera work and shots of Michael and Janet floating through the spaceship, crawling up walls or suddenly dancing on ceilings to effectively portray the disorientation of outer space.

The shots of MJ sitting on the couch as the camera zooms up to him or of Janet as she is walking down the corridor are just a few highlights of this very stylishly done clip.

The most expensive music video ever made and every penny well spent. Watch out for the brother-sister duo looking their outrageous best.

I love Scream. When it comes to MJ videos mostly they mention Thriller maybe Smooth Criminal (which is my favorite) but he had so many epic videos - more than anyone else IMO. Scream is one of them.

I love how Scream is a standout in it's style, black and white, with both Michael and Janet looking scary with a tint of sexy. Still surprised that almost 19 years on it remains the most expensive music video/short film!

One of my favourite things about Scream was the 2009 VMAs tribute performance Janet put on. You know how MJ and Janet have that massive dance off - where they skid along the floor, get up, reveal their tummies, throw themselves on the ground etc? I really love how for that tribute performance, they digitally removed Janet from that scene and then angled the cameras during the performance, so that it looked like Janet was performing on stage next to MJ.

Honestly one of the coolest things I've ever seen performed :)

I love how Scream is a standout in it's style, black and white, with both Michael and Janet looking scary with a tint of sexy. Still surprised that almost 19 years on it remains the most expensive music video/short film!

I don't think they make very epic videos any more. It's so interesting that the hey day of music videos is so strongly correlated with Michael's career.

BTW, I also love the fact that the title of the movie Scream was inspired by Michael's song.

respect77;3941323 said:
I don't think they make very epic videos any more. It's so interesting that the hey day of music videos is so strongly correlated with Michael's career.

BTW, I also love the fact that the title of the movie Scream was inspired by Michael's song.

You think so? I'd disagree, I still think there can be epic music videos these days (edit: not sure if you meant 'epic' as in big in scale, or 'epic' as in awesome. Either way I still think epic music videos are made these days).

A few artists I like make pretty cool videos: Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, The Weeknd, they have all made some pretty cool ones. I saw that recent one with Eminem and Rihanna called 'The Monster' the other day and thought it was pretty good too... ooh I also liked Lorde's 'Team' as well :D

Are they as iconic as Michaels? Not really (though I'd argue 'Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)' is pretty iconic) but I personally still think that cool/epic music videos are still made these days ^_^

And that's a pretty neat little fact! Never knew that...

Last edited:
HIStoric;3941327 said:
You think so? I'd disagree, I still think there can be epic music videos these days (edit: not sure if you meant 'epic' as in big in scale, or 'epic' as in awesome. Either way I still think epic music videos are made these days).

A few artists I like make pretty cool videos: Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, The Weeknd, they have all made some pretty cool ones. I saw that recent one with Eminem and Rihanna called 'The Monster' the other day and thought it was pretty good too... ooh I also liked Lorde's 'Team' as well :D

Are they as iconic as Michaels? Not really (though I'd argue 'Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)' is pretty iconic) but I personally still think that cool/epic music videos are still made these days ^_^

And that's a pretty neat little fact! Never knew that...

I mean epic as in big scale AND iconic. I just don't think any of those videos you mentioned are. There can still be good videos but it's been a long time since I have seen a new video that I would consider epic.

As for the movie title, yes it's true:

As the film neared completion, the Weinstein brothers changed the film's title from Scary Movie to Scream.[SUP][5][/SUP] They were inspired by the Michael Jackson song of the same name. Bob Weinstein considered "Scary Movie" to be an unsuitable title as, in addition to the horror and violence, the film contained elements of satire and comedy; Weinstein wished for that to be better conveyed by the title.[SUP][4][/SUP] The change was effected so late into production that congratulatory gifts bore the original name.[SUP][4][/SUP] Williamson and Craven immediately disliked the new title, and considered it "stupid".[SUP][9][/SUP] Both later remarked that the change turned out to be positive, and that Weinstein had been wise to pick the new title.[SUP][9][/SUP] Following a highly successful screening of the film in front of a test audience and Miramax executives, Craven was offered a two-picture contract for sequels to Scream.[SUP][8][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scream_(1996_film)#Writing

respect77;3941331 said:
I mean epic as in big scale AND iconic. I just don't think any of those videos you mentioned are. There can still be good videos but it's been a long time since I have seen a new video that I would consider epic.

Ahh ok, each to his own! Although most of the specific videos I mentioned by title only came out in the past week or two, so naturally they can't really be considered iconic. In regards to Single Ladies, I'd argue the image of Beyoncé with two back up dancers standing in leotards against a grey backdrop is a reasonably iconic image for this generation's pop culture, in the sense it can be immediately recognised by a large audience and has been referenced in various mediums of pop culture since. I don't really wanna steer the thread off-topic though (after all, this topic is about Scream, not music videos in general) so I'm happy to just agree to disagree ^_^

and wow. I haven't seen the movie but I think 'Scream' makes for a much better name than 'Scary Movie'! Certainly gives the film the opportunity to be remembered better as it's title is not as generic as 'Scary Movie' is :)

I just remembered this neat 20 minute MTV special about the making of Scream:

I love it how the left bottom pic reminds of the painting Scream - probably not a coincidence:

scream-janet-jackson-michael-jackson.jpg

AP_The_Scream_MoMA-x-wide-community.jpg

Ooh, not the only time Michael's work was influenced by classic pieces of art!
This shot in 'You Are Not Alone' was influenced by Maxfield Parrish's 1922 painting 'Daybreak'!
m15H4TI.jpg
640px-Daybreak_by_Parrish_%281922%29.jpg

Your post reminded me of this awesome piece of digital art I saw a while ago too:

V8eE2V5.jpg

I don't think it's coincidental at all! Michael was known to appreciate true art and incorporate it into his work :)

Last edited:
analogue;3941441 said:
Really? When did Wes Craven say that?

I didn't say anything about Wes Craven.

Here is the interview in which Bob Weinstein said it:

QUENTIN: And you had a weird symmetry with another ridiculously successful series, because the original title for Scream wasn’t Scream, it was…Scary Movie. Which I would have thought was great, ‘cause it’s cool, it’s intelligent, commenting on the genre and everything…

BOB: When I bought Scary Movie I said, let me make sure I bought the right script—am I buying a frightening scary movie with irony and some humor, or is it a funny movie that also happens to be scary? And I said if it’s the first way around, I think you’ve got the wrong title for it—Harvey, he calls people up at two in the morning. He assumes you’re awake, with no sense of apology, no “I’m sorry to wake you up,” he just starts in the middle of the sentence. He goes “Scream—it’s Scream. Lissen, I’m watching this video with Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson called Scream—that’s the title of your movie.”

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/19011

I think anyone who says "Scream" the video isn't easily identifiable with the majority of this world's population. I don't think they really know what that term means. That video is an all time classic, from the moment it starts at the very beginning, you instantly know what it is. And it's still cool enough to keep one watching after the initial intro. There's only a couple of videos that do this IMO, Scream is one of them. TLC "Waterfall's" & "No Scrubs" are others, Aaliyah's "One In A Million" and David Ruffin's "My Whole World Ended". Okay, maybe not the last one, lol. But I love it all the same.

They simply do not make videos like they did when Michael was around. It doesn't happen anymore. Scream is great to be on the list as it's normally Thriller. I would've liked maybe Black or White because of how bold and big the video is but Scream is a great choice, although the releases were messed up by Sony at the time.

The "most expensive video ever" dubbing is probably the only reason, this clip made it to that list.

Honestly, I never really liked the Scream video. It has a few nice details and scenes but overall it's too clean, too generic... not very Michael. And i actually never understood why that was supposed to be the most expensive video ever made. What exactly were all those millions spent on? Can't be that minimalistic setting or the few cheapy CGI post-production effects?

If we're talking black & white videos... i think Stranger In Moscow is way better. The song is too. :)

Last edited:
Is there a second part for this article?
What are the 1 - 10 best videos? I'm fully expecting see more MJ videos on the list :clapping:

"Scream" always has been one of my favorite videos ever, with "In The Closet" and "Bedtime Story" by Madonna.

Or maybe other people like it even if you personally don't...

Possible. :D
What i meant to say is that the video gets extra attention from that "the most expensive ever" dubbing. Just like the Thriller album will always get axtra attention because of the "most ever selling album" dubbing. Superlatives are always an easy & save pick for lazy media that just wants to give the people what they want. It doesn't mean that other art that doesn't have such a handy dubbing is not as good.

Last edited:
Back