Overrated songs

analogue

Proud Member
Are there any songs that Michael has done that you think are overrated? It can be within in the fanbase or general public, and please keep in mind that overrated doesn't mean you hate something

For me I always felt that You Are Not Alone is really overrated. Yeah, it's a good song but the best song on HIStory? I don't think so. HIStory had so many better songs like They Don't Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow and Earth Song

Within the fanbase I think that Butterflies is really overrated. To me that's the third weakest track on Invincible after You Are My Life and Privacy. How fans can hate The Lost Children but love Butterflies is beyond me, but each to their own

Are there any songs that Michael has done that you think are overrated? It can be within in the fanbase or general public, and please keep in mind that overrated doesn't mean you hate something

For me I always felt that You Are Not Alone is really overrated. Yeah, it's a good song but the best song on HIStory? I don't think so. HIStory had so many better songs like They Don't Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow and Earth Song

Within the fanbase I think that Butterflies is really overrated. To me that's the third weakest track on Invincible after You Are My Life and Privacy. How fans can hate The Lost Children but love Butterflies is beyond me, but each to their own

lmao you think Butterflies and You Are My Life are weak. Yeah we wouldn't get along haha

Butterflies and You Are Not Alone is nottt over rated in my opinion.. Butterflies is Under rated, should have actually gotten attention.

I think that Butterflies is overrated within the fanbase.

As much as I love those no.1 songs from Thriller music critics overrated them. Human Nature is the best song Michael didn't write from that album and it's underrated. To sum it up, people gave Quincy Jones too much credit than he really deserves and he's overrated.

"Speechless", it has sentimental value for me because of what it meant to Michael, but I never feel the urge to listen to it. Sweet song, just kinda boring to me.. ::shrugs::

Don't get me wrong, I love those classics from OTW, Thriller and Bad but none fans treat them like they were Michael's best work ever which is not the case. His songs from the 90's improved in every aspect to consider.

I also never saw how Butterflies was so popular among fans really. Dont get me wrong its not a bad song but it truly doesn't stand out for me.

Butterflies isn't weak! It isn't a pop/crossover song, which is what's lost on much of Mike's post-OTW fanbase (imho). If you listen to Floetry's version of their song you'll be able to appreciate how Michael stayed true to their vibe and didn't water it down. Mike's musical roots are based deep in Soul/R&B and he didn't lose that when he crossed over into Pop. James Brown is his biggest influence, people and he wasn't a pop artist. The songs I felt were weak are 'The Girl Is Mine', 'The Lost Children', 'Speechless' (not the meaning of it), 'You Are Not Alone' (blaming that one on R. Kelly, which I like too, lol) and 'Just Good Friends' (that duet with Stevie was not WONDERful, folks. I was let down by it; two of Motown's legends doing something so pedestrian).

Last edited:
I don't agree that Butterflies is overrated, not even within the fanbase IMO.

I used to think Black or White was overrated because they always played that one the radio and IMO it's not one of Michael's best songs. It's an OK song, it's just a bit annoying that's what always gets played when Michael's music has so much more depth to it. Dangerous has so many better songs IMO. Same for YANA being the big hit of HIStory when there are so many lot stronger songs on that album.

Butterflies isn't weak! It isn't a pop/crossover song, which is what's lost on much of Mike's post-OTW fanbase (imho). If you listen to Floetry's version of their song you'll be able to appreciate how Michael stayed true to their vibe and didn't water it down. Mike's musical roots are based deep in Soul/R&B and he didn't lose that when he crossed over into Pop. James Brown is his biggest influence, people and he wasn't a pop artist. The songs I felt were weak are 'The Girl Is Mine', 'The Lost Children', 'Speechless' (not the meaning of it), 'You Are Not Alone' (blaming that one on R. Kelly, which I like too, lol) and 'Just Good Friends' (that duet with Stevie was not WONDERful, folks. I was let down by it; two of Motown's legends doing something so pedestrian).

Thats what i love about invincible. It feels like mike went back to the roots with some songs on that album. Songs like Heaven Can't wait, Break of Dawn and butterflies, my they are some true authentic soul/rnb cuts. Not even Dangerous had that type of RnB going on.

Tbh Thriller, the song, doesn't do me anything.

I think "Butterflies" & "Heaven Can Wait" should've gotten more air play. I'm old enough to remember listening to The Jacksons & Michael's Off The Wall album... Thriller BAD and so on. So, I don't look at Michael's work like the media & critics compare it. I seen it as a long body, from start to middle to end. Like a story, There's so many songs that should have gotten more attention, especially in latter years.
Radio Video/T.V. & Internet etc.

Floetry wrote & sang "Butterflies" Michael adored the song &
Floetry.

Floetry - "Butterflies"

Michael Jackson - "Butterflies"

With The L.O.V.E. :heart:

I think "Butterflies" & "Heaven Can Wait" should've gotten more air play. I'm old enough to remember listening to The Jacksons & Michael's Off The Wall album... Thriller BAD and so on. So, I don't look at Michael's work like the media & critics compare it. I seen it as a long body, from start to middle to end. Like a story, There's so many songs that should have gotten more attention, especially in latter years.

What I love in Michael's body of work is that no album is like another. He never repeated himself, each album is different musically, it's not like he tried to recreate Thriller over and over again. (He did want the same or more success for his other albums, but he did not try to recreate Thriller musically.) So yeah, it's a journey. I'm so annoyed that critics do not appreciate it. They were like they wanted him to keep repeating Thriller all the time. But I bet if he tried that then they would criticize him for that. I'm glad he had something new to offer on each and every album.

Overrated songs based on the albums:
Off The Wall: Don't Stop Till You Get Enough. It's a great song, but Mike has some better ones on that album.
Thriller: Thriller is an overrated song, it's good, but.. something about it..
Bad: All the songs on that album are good to me.
Dangerous: Remember the Time. The video is awesome, but I think it's a bit overrated when compared to others on the album.
History: You are Not Alone. I love that song, but some others really stand out, to me.
Invincible: MOST UNDERRATED ALBUM EVER

Overrated songs based on the albums:
Off The Wall: Don't Stop Till You Get Enough. It's a great song, but Mike has some better ones on that album.

Don't Stop Till You Get Enough is absolutely not overrated in my opinion. It's one of his best songs ever.

Off The Wall: I agree that Don't Stop Till You Get Enough is overrated. I think the other tracks on the album are better.

Thriller: I think the title track is pretty overrated. Don't get me wrong I still like it and the album as a whole but it's the song of Micheal's they always play on the radio (especially around Halloween) and I think he has so much better music in his catalog.

Bad: I Just Can't Stop Lovin' You. I always kind of saw that song as weak and sappy compared to the rest of the album.

Dangerous: I don't know if I can really pick one off of this album but if I had to, I'd say Black or White. It's a great song and I love it, but again when MJ gets radio airplay is seems like it's either this song or Thriller.

HIStory: You Are Not Alone. I liked the song and all but there was so much better material on this album: Scream, They Don't Care About Us, and I love Tabloid Junkie.

Blood on the Dance Floor: I don't think there's an overrated track on this album. I didn't care much for the remixes though.

Invincible: You Rock My World. I thought the other tracks were stronger, especially Unbreakable and Threatened.

Don't get me wrong, I still love all of these songs, this is just my opinion. :)

Black Or White as a radio friendly sound to it but lyrically it's one of MJ's deepest songs.

Thiller is the obvious one. I almost prefer Starlight ahead of Thriller. After a while you just grow tired of all the effects, and you want to listen to the amazing bass and beautiful vocals.

Black Or White as a radio friendly sound to it but lyrically it's one of MJ's deepest songs.
Thank you, I think that's the power of it,being so radio friendly it can reach a wide audience and hopefully spread the message within the lyrics. I'm sure that's what Michael intended by making it the first single. Anyway overrated songs IMHO are YANA, Thriller and not so much overrated but too played, Billie Jean, don't kill me now, I really like it but it's the same as with Thriller, these are songs that get huge radio and tv exposure that it almost narrows Michael's vast and rich catalogue into 3 or 4 songs. People need to discover all of those other great songs Michael put so much love and hard work into, not just us full time fans, general public too, oh well a girl can dream.

Do I think MJ has overrated songs?

NOT REALLY !!!

BUT he sure has MANY underrated songs!! - Is It Scary, Morphine, The entire Invincible album! We've Had Enough!

Who Is It - I know it is highly apreciated in fan communitys, but in the general public Who Is It is very underrated IMO!!

Money! Keep The Faith! Dangerous! Will You be there!

2 BAD!

I think many MJ songs are underrated actually!

It like when people talk about MJ it is always Beat It, Billie Jean, Thriller, BoW, SC, WBSS, Rock With You and MITM - and all these are among the best songs the world have ever seen, but still, some of the best MJ songs IMO are not among these!

The whole HIStory album is underrated in the fan community, or maybe a better word is overlooked. More so than Invincible

Thank you! Fans talk about Invincible so much that it has become not underrated within the fan community

If anything i'd say that Invincible is overrated within the fan community because of the lack of album sales (Compared to MJ's previous albums. Although Invincible was a success) and due to mediocre reviews, fans make that album out to be better than what it really is. I do like the album, I think it's good with a lot of great songs on there, but compared to MJ's previous albums it doesn't come close in my opinion

The worst songs on MJ's previous albums are better than the best songs on Invincible

Last edited:
Probably Scream (it received much publicity because of Janet and because media claimed Michael needed her), YANA Earth Song are "overrated" in comparison to the rest of the album

Thank you! Fans talk about Invincible so much that it has become not underrated within the fan community

If anything i'd say that Invincible is overrated within the fan community because of the lack of album sales (Compared to MJ's previous albums. Although Invincible was a success) and due to mediocre reviews, fans make that album out to be better than what it really is. I do like the album, I think it's good with a lot of great songs on there, but compared to MJ's previous albums it doesn't come close in my opinion

The worst songs on MJ's previous albums are better than the best songs on Invincible

I can remember my issue with Vince, it didn't truly have that masterpiece of songs that his previous albums had. I love vince and i always praise it for being gradient towards R&B and Soul but just, okay let's go back

Off The Wall; DSTYGE, Rock With You

Thriller; Billie Jean & Beat It etc. Undoubtedly MJ classics

Bad; Man In The Mirror, Smooth Criminal,Dirty Diana Etc. MJ are synonymous with these songs

Dangerous; Black Or White, Heal The World, Who Is It, Etc.

History; Earth Song, TDCAU, Stranger In Moscow etc

What songs on Invincible can be matched equally with the aforementioned songs? The songs in vince were strong but imo not strong enough for MJ standards. I bet he had some amazing songs written that he didn't put on the record for whatever reason. A song like We've Had Enough is exactly what i'm talking about. That was the type of component that were missing on the album. IMO ofc :)

I can remember my issue with Vince, it didn't truly have that masterpiece of songs that his previous albums had. I love vince and i always praise it for being gradient towards R&B and Soul but just, okay let's go back

Off The Wall; DSTYGE, Rock With You

Thriller; Billie Jean & Beat It etc. Undoubtedly MJ classics

Bad; Man In The Mirror, Smooth Criminal,Dirty Diana Etc. MJ are synonymous with these songs

Dangerous; Black Or White, Heal The World, Who Is It, Etc.

History; Earth Song, TDCAU, Stranger In Moscow etc

What songs on Invincible can be matched equally with the aforementioned songs? The songs in vince were strong but imo not strong enough for MJ standards. I bet he had some amazing songs written that he didn't put on the record for whatever reason. A song like We've Had Enough is exactly what i'm talking about. That was the type of component that were missing on the album. IMO ofc :)

If there was single releases and short films for Whatever Happens, Threatened, Unbreakable and Butterflies you would now talk different.

If there was single releases and short films for Whatever Happens, Threatened, Unbreakable and Butterflies you would now talk different.

Maybe, maybe not. I still think those songs,musically speaking, lacks something that his previous songs had.

Anything Michael Jackson & "overrated" does not ad up!

Michael Jackson, the man, his art, his creative genius... If anything, that all is still underrated!

Especially his later work - hugely underrated!

That's not to say he hasn't some "weaker" songs in his catalogue.
But i don't think he has one song that is overrated.
Especially when i read here that some consider 'Black Or White' overrated, it's more so, that many of his other songs, especially from this period & later on are criminally underrated.

Back