"You ain't bad, you ain't nothin'" meaning?

lotrmj

Proud Member
Hi, english is not my primary language so I actually don't get what this quote is about. What does it mean "You ain't nothin'"? Does it mean "you are not nobody"? Michael Jackson is angry at his mate so I think he wants to say "You are nobody". Am I wrong? And why MJ says "You ain't bad" if his mate actually disbehaves? Please shed some light :unsure:

English is not my primary language either but I understand it as : it's not because you are not cool that you are nothing. You can still be someone if you re not cool.

Great! I got it now! I thought "you" is said towards his mate, but it seems "you" is general... and Michael wants to say that "If you are not bad - you are not nobody"! :dancin:

He's talking to the 'crew'. You ain't Bad - you aren't cool, down with it. You ain't nothin' - You aren't worth mentioning/have no worth. Basically him saying that they aren't as cool as they think they are. :)

BAD Means good.cool - Michael is BAD (not as in wrong but as cool Good) It was phrase in the 80's to say wow thats BAD when something was really cool. Then later they said that so sick .. it all means good or really cool.

Im not sure what they say Now LOL

So When MJ said "you ain't BAD, You ain't nothing"
he was saying that because of their bad criminal behavior, you aren't good or cool, you're nobody, nothing special when you act like that. Then he showed them " Who's BAD" :)

Michael explains what BAD means starting at 2:00 on the Video

http://youtu.be/Vi_TtqUJhl0

Back