The surgical mask..

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I wanna know what your thoughts are about the mask. Did you think it was as innovative and capturing as the glove or the hat? Or did you have ambivalence towards it and just thought it was too much? I have never really seen an active discussion about the mask and i got inspired by Respect77's " Glove " thread so why not :)

I read that Michael liked it because it added to the mystery and made people notice and ask why. People thought it was some big mystery or a sign, in reality he was just keeping himself from getting sick before recording sessions or concerts.

Personally I always thought it was kind of cool and I want one.

This makes me think of an old macro I made: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/uni_sweetie1/roflbot-4N2V.jpg

Which explains why I L.O.V.E. the Dangerous and HIStory eras so extremely much.

b669832f.gif

And sexy and hot too... :naughty: :shifty:

I thought I was the only one who thought that.

I had always like it when he worn that mask. It was like my second favorite thing that he had worn. Where the fedora was my first favorite. Which explains why I L.O.V.E. the Dangerous and HIStory eras so extremely much.

Great minds think alike y'all..he really was sexy with that surgical mask. :naughty: :D

Lord..that gif is giving me life. :heart:

I'm reading Michael Bush's book now (that's how the thing about the glove came up to me) and it's so amazing how much his clothing was a part of his artistry and an expression of his creativity. I did not really pay attention to this before - but besides the singing, dancing, songwriting and choreography those clothes were also definitely a part of his art and he was the creative force behind them.

Like EilonnaArroway said the mask started out as a protection on tour against getting sick - and the idea came from the fact that in Asian countries people wear surgical masks on the street to protect themselves against germs. But then it became a deliberate part of his mysterious image to keep people guessing, also he wanted them in all kind of colors, not just a plain white one.

I don't think it was "too much". Whatever the world considers "normal" Michael Jackson could not walk around in plain grey suits, that's not him. Clothes and accessories were just as much a part of his art and self expression as his singing or dancing.

I could never relate to the mask back when he was wearing it.

But these days when I look back...very cool. He was just being an eccentric pop star, and doing a great job of it!

Yeah, i have to admit at first u was a bit reluctant but later I realized that it was pretty cool.

@Respect77, definitely, his clothes are as much of a legacy as anything else he's ever done. All from the white socks, to the V-neck t-shirts and armbands.

It started as protection on tour. Later he said it was a way of "hiding" like with the sunglasses. Privacy.

And yes, it´s so sexy.. :D

There are 3 different reasons I've always thought it could be that he wore it..

1. The obvious of he's covering surgical bandages/work recently just done
2. as a way to keep out germs as they do in parts of the world, if you do notice did pick up many things from other cultures, bowing when saying hello etc.
3. Many people have mentioned how Michael studied Howard Hughes, he was viewed as a reclusive genius, and it's been said that Michael studied him and modeled certain things after him.. Howard Hughes was known to go out in public with surgical masks to start "controversy and talk"

I personally never really cared for the mask I liked seeing his face

Ummm.... am I the only one who always assumed he wore the mask because of the vitiiligo? The same way he always carried an umbrella when it was sunny.

^ Yes I've thought that and should have mentioned it!

Ummm.... am I the only one who always assumed he wore the mask because of the vitiiligo? The same way he always carried an umbrella when it was sunny.

He seemed to largely ditch the mask by1998. That wouldn't make sense.

There's also another reason that I believed that he's wearing a mask is that he's very sensitive to smoke and smog. I'm not sure if that's the case, but I believe that's one of those reasons. When I see surgical mask every time, I just wanna get my own masks like Michael has.

Stylewise i liked the black mask he wore during the HIStory phase at times.

I think next to the other things he also wore it to shield himself from nasty looks to his face.
Think about it... if your face is a matter of international speculation as much as his was, it must be a relieve to simply cover it sometimes. In the last years he maybe brought it back because he was feeling less selfconfident about his face (often had his hands cover his nose etc). :(

he did wear the mask in private and indoor as well we can't forget that and put that into consideration on the reasons "why"

Besides vitiligo, lupus makes people very sensitive to the sun. I like how this doctor said the first thing he says to his patients with lupus is staying away from the sun. Ignore some of the assuptions Sawyer made.

Even if Michael didn't have any of those diseases, the black mask specially made his eyes looking even more gorgeous! :girl_love:

I don't like how everyone jumped to the 'plastic surgery' conclusion when there are heaps of reasons as to why he wore it. What's the main point of a surgical mask? To protect one from germs and when you're on a massive worldwide tour, it is obviously extremely important to try and keep yourself free of germs. I think the idea of protecting himself from the sun was also another reason for why he wore it too. Then there are other reasons that others have already posted (ie he likes the mysteriousness it adds to him and he sees the mask as stylish).

Personally, I think he looks better without the mask on but I can see the real reasons as to why he wore it ^_^

Doesn't he specifically address the reasons why in Moonwalk? Not that I'd take that to mean much...but it's supposed to be his own words.

I always assumed it was due to vitiligo, because of the sensitivity to sunlight and because he might have had patchy skin on his face from it and the mask made it so that he didn't have to worry about makeup. And it could've something to do with the media scrutiny with his nose as the mask covered it up too? Also the whole privacy thing makes sense too, and it gives them less to judge if his entire face is covered. I guess it served multiple purposes. :beatit: not complaining though, I think it only added to his mysteriousness ;D

There are 3 different reasons I've always thought it could be that he wore it..

1. The obvious of he's covering surgical bandages/work recently just done
2. as a way to keep out germs as they do in parts of the world, if you do notice did pick up many things from other cultures, bowing when saying hello etc.
3. Many people have mentioned how Michael studied Howard Hughes, he was viewed as a reclusive genius, and it's been said that Michael studied him and modeled certain things after him.. Howard Hughes was known to go out in public with surgical masks to start "controversy and talk"

I personally never really cared for the mask I liked seeing his face

My sentiments exactly!

Back