Question about US 7" singles of Michael Jackson/Jackson 5

Good question, since this has been an obsession of mine. The versions I have are this:

Rockin' Robin = Mono
Love Is Here And Now You're Gone = Mono

Little Bitty Pretty One = Mono
If I Have To Move A Mountain = Mono

I Wanna Be Where You Are = Stereo
We've Got A Good Thing Going = Stereo

Lookin' Through The Windows = Stereo (sounds like the same mix as the LP but about five seconds shorter)
Love Song = Stereo (with no count-in, exactly the same as the original Goin' Back To Indiana/Lookin' Through The Windows CD)

Ben = Mono
You Can Cry On My Shoulder = Stereo (exactly the same as the LP)

Ben = Stereo (another copy, exactly the same as the LP)
You Can Cry On My Shoulder = Stereo (as above)

That's How Love Goes = Mono
I Lost My Love In The Big City = Mono

Does anyone have a mono version of I Wanna Be Where You Are or Lookin' Through The Windows? The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 12A presents a mono mix for Love Song, so there may be an earlier pressing. That one has the count-in.

After this point, I don't have every one to compare, but they would all be stereo. Off the top of my head, Get It Together has a different guitar track on the single. With A Child's Heart has an edited intro like when MJ sang it on Soul Train. Everyone knows Dancing Machine's single version is on the Dancing Machine LP, but my actual 45 fades slightly earlier. The only CD version that matches this is the British Motown Chartbusters one. Another edition of the Chartbusters CDs has a very different mix of We're Almost There which is probably on the 45. I think Forever Came Today is supposed to be something like the Anthology mix with the background vocals on the first chorus.

Thanks ! :)

Ben = Mono
You Can Cry On My Shoulder = Stereo (exactly the same as the LP)

Ben = Stereo (another copy, exactly the same as the LP)
You Can Cry On My Shoulder = Stereo (as above)

Your two 7" singles of "Ben / You Can Cry On My Shoulder" are two different US commercial 7" singles ?

Does anyone have a mono version of I Wanna Be Where You Are or Lookin' Through The Windows?

The mono versions of I Wanna Be Where You Are and Lookin' Through The Windows are on the US promo 7" singles. :)

The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 12A presents a mono mix for Love Song, so there may be an earlier pressing. That one has the count-in.

I'm asking the question about these US commercial 7" singles because there was mistakes on the previous Complete Motown Singles CDs. So, I wanted to know how the original US commercial 7" singles were in order to correct mistakes on my blog (http://mjofficialversions.blogspot.fr/).

After this point, I don't have every one to compare, but they would all be stereo. Off the top of my head, Get It Together has a different guitar track on the single. With A Child's Heart has an edited intro like when MJ sang it on Soul Train. Everyone knows Dancing Machine's single version is on the Dancing Machine LP, but my actual 45 fades slightly earlier. The only CD version that matches this is the British Motown Chartbusters one. Another edition of the Chartbusters CDs has a very different mix of We're Almost There which is probably on the 45. I think Forever Came Today is supposed to be something like the Anthology mix with the background vocals on the first chorus.

I already listed all these informations on my blog. ;)

Thanks ! :)

Your two 7" singles of "Ben / You Can Cry On My Shoulder" are two different US commercial 7" singles ?

Yes. Only difference is in the wax writing itself, one copy ending in -M and the other in -S.

The mono versions of I Wanna Be Where You Are and Lookin' Through The Windows are on the US promo 7" singles. :)

Well, yes, but I meant commercial copies. Actually most of the released CD versions of Rockin' Robin and I Wanna Be Where You Are to me sound slightly different from each other and I don't know if it's just mastering or mixing or what else. Unless it's just the format shift, I think Rockin' Robin on the commercial single plays at a higher speed than all the CD versions. You be the judge.

The difference of speed is often due to the turntable. :)

Back