Former FCC Chairman Admits Janet Jackson Was Treated “Unfairly” After Super Bowl

HIStory

Proud Member
Major: Former FCC Chairman Admits Janet Jackson Was Treated “Unfairly” After Super Bowl

A decade.
It’s shocking to think a whole ten years have passed since Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake‘s ‘Super Bowl ’04′ showing changed the face of the music industry forever.

Even more surprising, though, is the fact that the split-second that came to be known as “nipplegate” would alter the course of Jackson’s otherwise iconic career, while bizarrely (and unfairly) enhancing Timberlake’s.
Indeed, while industry big wigs ensured the ‘Suit & Tie’ crooner star soared to dizzying heights, it was the Queen of Pop who was left to bear the brunt of the backlash, one that carried very real ramifications – both personally and commercially.

Beyond being branded all but a Jezebel by the media, the singer was blamed by many as the sole cause of the $550,000 fine the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) handed to Super Bowl broadcaster CBS – figure that was a record at the time.

The FCC then increased the fine per indecency violation from $27,500 to $325,000 shortly after the event.

Adding salt to the controversial wound, the NFL announced that MTV (who produced the showing) would never be involved in another halftime show again.

However, in a major development ten years later, Michael Powell - who served as the FCC chairman at the time of the performance – admits that both his reaction and that of the masses were completely overblown.
In a must-read interview with ESPN, Powell denounces his own claims that the wardrobe malfunction represented ”a new low for prime-time TV”.
Excerpts below…

Via DM:
“I think we’ve been removed from this long enough for me to tell you that I had to put my best version of outrage on that I could put on.

Part of it was surreal, right? Look, I think it was dumb to happen, and they knew the rules and were flirting with them, and my job is to enforce the rules, but, you know, really? This is what we’re gonna do?’

Powell also said the treatment of Jackson and Timberlake – who were lambasted for causing ‘an outrageous stunt’ – was unfair.
‘I personally thought that was really unfair,’ he said.
‘It all turned into being about her. In reality, if you slow the thing down, it’s Justin ripping off her breastplate.”
*************​
Anyone who’s followed That Grape Juice long enough knows how strongly we feel about the issue.
It was an entire farce; and by “it” we mean the mass media hoopla that ensued afterwards. For us, there exists very real and unhidden evidence that the whole episode was soaked in racism, sexism, and preferentialism.
As such, it’s great to see Janet finally receiving a shred of reparation for the unfair handling of the matter. Yes, it may have come a decade after it should have, yet given the damage it did to her brand, it’s as necessary today as it was back then.

On a lighter note, can we please have a moment of silence for the epicness that was the performance as a whole? Janet slayed and displaced that stage with a brand of bad chickery that many of today’s divas could only dream to posses.

We’ve been salivating for new Ms. Jackson material for what feels like forever. Yet, no time feels more apt than the present for her to comeback and blaze the scene. Despite the best efforts of her detractors, her stock has not be derailed. She remains and icon and one whose potential to dominate is still ripe.
Janet, the stage is set. Come back and blaze it!

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2014/01/m...on-treated-unfairly-super-bowl/#ixzz2r373dfty

What happened to Janet after this was so unfair and America once again showed its hypocrisy. How can you blame just one of them if you are going to blame? And of course, they were blaming the black person while giving a pass to the white.

And to be honest I did not even understand the extent of the outrage. Yes, it was inappropriate, considering that kids can watch, but it was also blown out of proportion. How about people like Madonna who built a whole career on selling sex? But Janet has to be black listed for this? Please.

I'm no Janet fan, but this was truly unfair to her.

When I used to believe she was the good Jackson sister, I remember feeling outraged only Janet receiving that huge backlash from the media around the world and nothing for JT wondering why only her if he ripped that part of her bustier off, causing me to think he's despicable because he kicked her more in one of his songs. It was quite obvious it was a stunt already planned but there are worse and outrageous things US media broadcasted like that picture of piled,nude Iraqi war prisoners with a female marine posing and smiling, it happen after the Super Bowl, that's why I mentioned it.

But since 2010, I lost the respect I used to have for her and I couldn't care less what happens to her career, I think she hasn't been able to recover since then.

I think what they did to her was both racist and sexist.

Too little and too late.
Janet was crucified by the media after this incident happened,yet Justin's career was boosted higher.Makes no sense.It's not only racist,but incredibly sexist.I think another reason too was because of Michael's trial,and they were in "destroy all Jackson's" mode at that point in time.

Very sad and there needs to be an official apology. Here we have something happen that was a mistake and yet there were fines levied as though the incident was planned. According to Randy in that Oxman interview, Justin was supposed to rip off the top part and there was a covering underneath. However, there was a malfunction and when he pulled the whole thing came off. Now if Janet and Justin explained this to the FCC why did they still fine the superbowl. Then, why weren't those tv stations fined who replayed the thing over and over all over the place? The whole thing seeps with hypocrisy, stupidity, and all the other things commented above.

What happened to her was a disgrace.

To be honest I don't believe it was accidental. Janet had that little star or what on her nipple, so that strongly indicates that it wasn't accidental at all. Otherwise why would she put a star on her nipple? Also the lyrics to which it happend was "I'll have you naked by the end of this song" and then he rips down Janet's clothes.

So IMO it was intentional and it was foolish but they were BOTH in it together. I don't believe Justin was just an innocent bystander. It was his lyrics and he knew exactly what would happen, just like Janet did. The injustice was that while Janet got massive criticism for that and basically got black listed, Justin could go on with his career and no one criticised him, just Janet. This is rooted in racism and sexism, IMO. Also the whole thing got blown out of proportion. By the reactions one would think Janet killed someone on live TV. You've got Madonna building a whole career on selling sex and people celebrate her for it, yet they will act as if what Janet did here was soooooo outrageous that she needs to pay with her career for it? Racism again, IMO. And yes, another factor was that she's Michael's sister and it was open season on all things Jackson. They couldn't wait for Janet to slip up.

And Justin did not behave like a man all through it. He too left Janet out there alone to be blamed. And even dissed her in lyrics later. Justin is a coward and a hypocrite just the same as the journalists who supported him, but trashed Janet.

It's strange, the media who once inflated her, praised and used her against Michael to make her seem more successful than him in the mid 80's and 90's in 2003 put her way down and haven't let her to recover ever since. I say this because the media gave the impression they were only racist towards Michael. But yes, I agree it was racist, sexist and used double standards.

Janet didn't even show her nipple, it was covered by a sun, star, whatever it was. While people like Prince or Madinna have been praised and celebrated for selling sex. Janet sold sex in the 90's as well but somehow the media didn't see an issue with it because in their eyes she was surpassing Michael. Suddenly, she showed her covered breast with a linchpin and it was such an outrage. :doh:

Well you could have a ring or any decoration on your nipple under your clothes if you want to. I actually feel it was a garment malfunction, unless Janet comes out and says otherwise.

Too little and too late.
Janet was crucified by the media after this incident happened,yet Justin's career was boosted higher.Makes no sense.It's not only racist,but incredibly sexist.I think another reason too was because of Michael's trial,and they were in "destroy all Jackson's" mode at that point in time.

Agreed. I've thought forever that the only reason that happened to her was because of her last name and who her brother was.

To be honest I don't believe it was accidental. Janet had that little star or what on her nipple, so that strongly indicates that it wasn't accidental at all. Otherwise why would she put a star on her nipple? Also the lyrics to which it happend was "I'll have you naked by the end of this song" and then he rips down Janet's clothes.

So IMO it was intentional and it was foolish but they were BOTH in it together. I don't believe Justin was just an innocent bystander. It was his lyrics and he knew exactly what would happen, just like Janet did. The injustice was that while Janet got massive criticism for that and basically got black listed, Justin could go on with his career and no one criticised him, just Janet. This is rooted in racism and sexism, IMO. Also the whole thing got blown out of proportion. By the reactions one would think Janet killed someone on live TV. You've got Madonna building a whole career on selling sex and people celebrate her for it, yet they will act as if what Janet did here was soooooo outrageous that she needs to pay with her career for it? Racism again, IMO. And yes, another factor was that she's Michael's sister and it was open season on all things Jackson. They couldn't wait for Janet to slip up.

And Justin did not behave like a man all through it. He too left Janet out there alone to be blamed. And even dissed her in lyrics later. Justin is a coward and a hypocrite just the same as the journalists who supported him, but trashed Janet.
It was never intentional.Janet always had the suns on her nipples,and this predates the Superbowl because she got her nipples pierced in 1997.There's even proof it wasn't planned.

It was never intentional.Janet always had the suns on her nipples,and this predates the Superbowl because she got her nipples pierced in 1997.There's even proof it wasn't planned.

Yeah you can also tell by her demeanor after the rip that it was not planned. Also as she exits she looks upset. It is very horrible thing to be accused of something you did not do.

the backlash for the nipple slip was really overblown, imo. Okay, so maybe it was a stupid publicity stunt, but really, it was only a nipple. We all have two of those. It’s not a big deal.

And the Superbowl backlash is especially distasteful because it’s obvious that sexism and racism plays a part there. To me it looked like the “wardrobe malfunction” was planned, but Justin was as much responsible for it as Janet, and yet it’s usually only Janet who’s blamed for it.

I saw the rehearsal and Justin didn't rip anything off but she said in her apology that change was added in the last moment. I don't know what to believe. The only thing I'm sure is that I stopped feeling bad for her since she betrayed her brother.

Thread cleaned please keep this thread on topic and don't derail this discussion with other issues not related. If you are not clear on what that means, please read the rules posted at the top of 2300 forum. Thanks for your cooperation

If you have any questions or concerns PM Admin and do not derail the thread by replying or discussing moderation actions on your posts or moderation requests on the board

I'm not a Janet fan. But I think the whole Nipplegate thing was pretty stupid. It was hyped up way too much. I mean it's just a boob. I'm sure everyone has seen a boob at some point in their lives.

IMO it looked like it was planned and not a wardrobe malfunction. But anyway, to me it doesn't matter. It was blown out of proportion and went bigger than Ben Hur. Never understood why. As EilonnaArroway said, it's just a boob. No one went blind because of her pierced nipple. I have always wondered why no one ever bashed JT over this. I mean he was the one who ripped her plate off. Other female singers have worn a lot less and shown more. They look and behave like hookers. They have all done it: Beyonce, Rihanna, Madonna, Miley, JLo, Britney, Christina, Katey. In fact, Janet wore more clothes during that show than any of the aforementioned singers. Furthermore, you could probably see Janet's boob only for a second. Or only a fraction.
But JT has always been a coward. Before MJ's trial he always said how great he was and how much Michael influenced him (which is blatantly obvious). During the trial all of a sudden his biggest influence was Fred Astaire. Whatever, Justin! He also never quite explained himself after "nipplegate". He simply remained silent.
This mass hysteria was absolutely ridiculous. Sexism at its best. The media were so harsh on Janet simply because she's a woman whereas Justin got away with his stunt.

This is the very reason why yrs ago I stopped being a JT fan! But, even before then I was starting to look at him side ways because of how he was trying to say he wasn't copying MJ in his debut album, after the 03 allegations happened! When he really was copying the hell out of MJ, in style and vocally! But, then this Superbowl stunt also happened and it really showed his true colors! To me he is so fake and will step on whomever to make himself out to be a victim/better. He did it to Britney Spears for his debut album, which I thought was real shady...yea she cheated on him but, he milked that all the way to the bank! :ermm:

^^ I thanked you for the article not because I agree about JT. If it was planned I don't think JT didn't know about it. If it was an accident then it's an accident and Janet did not deserve the treatment she got. I think it was both racist and sexist to blame it all on Janet and ban her videos etc. while JT went on to have a celebrated career as if he had nothing to do with it.

From the article:

Just days after the Super Bowl, it’s reported that over 200,000 viewers had contacted the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to complain about Jackson's performance.
Court documents later revealed that over 540,000 people filed complaints with the FCC about the incident, although that number was inflated by conservative and watchdog groups mass-calling the commission. FCC Chairman Michael Powell calls Jackson’s nip slip "a classless, crass, and deplorable stunt" and promises to take further action.

Some people need to get a life. Ridiculous.

CBS and MTV’s parent company Viacom, angered that an unannounced addition to the Super Bowl performance has now cost them all future halftime shows, hits back at Jackson by essentially blacklisting her, keeping her music videos off their properties MTV, VH1, and radio stations under their umbrella. The blacklist spreads to include non-Viacom media entities as well.

Ridiculous.

Unlike this year, where CBS' broadcast of the Grammys precedes the Super Bowl, in 2004, CBS had the Super Bowl scheduled prior to the Grammys, where Jackson was recruited to present a Luther Vandross tribute. However, following the Super Bowl and the uproar, CBS rescinded their invitation to Jackson. Timberlake, however, was not only allowed to attend the ceremony, he actually won a pair of awards. He did use his acceptance speech to once again apologize for the "unintentional" incident.

Ridiculous and double standards.

A young software programmer at PayPal named Jawed Karim is unable to find any video of the Jackson Super Bowl performance online. Frustrated in his attempts to find footage, Karim and some friends create a venue where people can easily upload and share video. Thanks to the scandal, YouTube is born in 2005. A year later, Google purchases the site for $1.65 billion.

I didn't know YouTube has its existence thanks to nipplegate. Wow!

"If it was planned I don't think JT didn't know about it. If it was an accident then it's an accident and Janet did not deserve the treatment she got. I think it was both racist and sexist to blame it all on Janet and ban her videos etc. while JT went on to have a celebrated career as if he had nothing to do with it."

I personally could care less if they both were naked and singing, but in America they won't tolerate such a display:)

Of course JB knew it, and obviously they did some practice in their rehearsal, but the blame belongs the one whose idea it was. JB walked out of situation because Janet's own team told that is was her idea, her team was responsible of her wardrobe, and it wasn't Justin who was flashing:)

To be honest, Janet didn't do anything what Madge hasn't done to shock the world and make her name well known to wider audience. Maybe it was planned, maybe it wasn't, but she made tons of money even she was blacklisted.

Rolling Stones:
March 22nd, 2004
Damita Jo, Jackson’s eighth album, arrives roughly five weeks after her Super Bowl performance. Thanks to the radio and music television blacklist, the LP underperforms compared to Janet’s previous releases. However, and perhaps propelled by all the controversy, Damita Jo still sells enough first week copies to debut at Number Two on the Billboard 200. Despite the backlash, the album eventually goes platinum several times over.

Billboard:
Despite, or maybe because of, controversy generated by their halftime appearance, sales for three of Jackson's albums more than doubled in the week after the show, while Timberlake's "Justified" increased 160%.

I don't care for Janet anymore. But that Super Bowl mess was just ridiculous in my opinion. They both knew that Justin was going to pull that part of her outer clothing off and I heard that she was supposed to have a bra on underneath. But I think he pulled the leather off too hard and ripped the bra open and that was his own fault. So I still don't think that it's fair that Justin didn't get any blame at all while Janet was trashed. It's a shame.

Last edited:
@Bubs, when you say JB you mean JT instead, right? Just because you keep calling him JB. Where does the article say it was Janet's idea? They say it was a late addition but I can't see where the article says it was Janet's idea.

The world waits for some kind of post-game response from Jackson, but the singer immediately flew out of Houston following her performance and before the Super Bowl even ended. Jackson’s spokesperson calls the reveal "was a malfunction of the wardrobe; it was not intentional. . . [Timberlake] was supposed to pull away the bustier and leave the red-lace bra," which was visibly in Timberlake’s hand following the pull. Jackson also admits that neither MTV nor CBS had any role or previous knowledge in the incident, saying Timberlake’s ripping of the wardrobe was a late addition during their final rehearsal.

But even if it was Janet's idea JT obviously went along with it, so I don't know why he should be excused. Like I said the fact that only Janet was blacklisted after the incident is pretty much racist and sexist IMO. And the FCC chairman even admitted recently how unfair Janet's treatment was.

It was absolutely unfair how the media went after her and the outrage was pathetic. Has anyone seen the GoDaddy commercials that happen during the interview? Those are just as bad and Janet's incident had to be slowed down to even catch it. Most people didn't when it first happened

It wasn't cool how everyone was taking pot shots at her. To me it felt like 2003-2005 was the "Let's bash the Jacksons to ashes" era

and I lost respect for Justin because he was such a coward and a punk, even apologizing at the Grammys, looking like he wanted to cry. I kinda looked at him weird when after COMPLETELY RIPPING OFF Michael at the 2002 VMAs, the next day, he was acting like he was inspired by everyone BUT Michael in that routine. So that situation with the Superbowl cemented my opinion of him

But some of his fans see with good eyes his sudden "love" he showed after Michael passed. Justin Timberfake is nothing but a coward hypocrite as a person.

I don't care for Janet anymore. But that Super Bowl mess was just ridiculous in my opinion. They both knew that Justin was going to pull that part of her outer clothing off and I heard that she was supposed to have a bra on underneath. But I think he pulled the leather off too hard and ripped the bra open and that was his own fault. So I still don't think that it's fair that Justin didn't get any blame at all while Janet was trashed. It's a shame.

Yeap there was supposed to be something underneath, but Justin pulled too hard and the whole thing came apart. That is why Randy said he was calling Janet to tell her not to apologize because it would look as though she planned it to happen, but by the time he could get to her she had already apologized. Janet should have just made a clear statement about Justin pulling the covering off with the top piece and Justin should have done the same.

@Bubs, when you say JB you mean JT instead, right? Just because you keep calling him JB. Where does the article say it was Janet's idea? They say it was a late addition but I can't see where the article says it was Janet's idea.

But even if it was Janet's idea JT obviously went along with it, so I don't know why he should be excused. Like I said the fact that only Janet was blacklisted after the incident is pretty much racist and sexist IMO. And the FCC chairman even admitted recently how unfair Janet's treatment was.

Sorry, must be some sort of subconscious thing going on as Bieber's antics are all over the news.
I meant Timberlake:)

"On Monday night, Janet Jackson says it was all her fault that the costume reveal at the end of the number was only supposed to reveal a red lace garment under the bodice. "The decision to have a costume reveal at the end of my halftime show performance was make after final rehearsals," the statement, which is on the MTV Web site. "MTV was completely unaware of it. It was not my intention that it go as far as it did."

Is it clear now whose idea was it?
I couldn't even see Timberlake suggesting Janet the whole thing, it doesn't make any sense?
They do Super Bowl the get in the headlines, sell their music, etc, and it most certainly put Janet's name in the map, and basically everyone else that participated to half-time show were forgotten.

The more outrageous show, the more talk, that is show business. As a comparison, see Miley and Robin VMA show.
Miley and Robin's VMA thingy reminds me very much of Janet and Justin. Now Robin is (according to media) angry at Miley for stealing his thunder and his part didn't get any attention because what Miley did.

One more thing. Isn't interesting that Janet's red lace bra came off so neatly, along the same lines as black part that was supposed to come off? There were no threads hanging or no parts of bra were left hanging there, the whole thingy came off very easily and it was a neat rip? Try to rip off lace bra the same way and check whether it comes off like Janet's did:)

Last edited:
^^Well the point of the matter is that there was something underneath, which means the pulling off of the whole thing was an accident. Thank goodness this whole thing is over and Janet moved on with her life.

"On Monday night, Janet Jackson says it was all her fault that the costume reveal at the end of the number was only supposed to reveal a red lace garment under the bodice. "The decision to have a costume reveal at the end of my halftime show performance was make after final rehearsals," the statement, which is on the MTV Web site. "MTV was completely unaware of it. It was not my intention that it go as far as it did."

Where does this quote come from? I'm looking for it in the RS article and I can't find it. Besides - wherever it comes from - the part "On Monday night, Janet Jackson says it was all her fault" only seems to be the journalist's commentary the direct quote from Janet's side does not say it was her idea. It says the idea was made after the final rehearsal but it does not say anything more about how they came up with that idea, whether it was a joint decison. But like I said, whoever's initial idea it was, Justin did go along with it so to excuse him and blame it all on Janet is just not fair.

I don't see any comparation with Miley. If anything, it again highlights the racist undertone of the whole thing that was done to Janet by the media after this. Her videos were blacklisted on MTV, VH1, whereas Miley is being being hyped after her ridiculous MTV performance and is selling better and is in the media more than ever. And what she did is not any less outragous than what Janet did. But she's white, alright.

For those that don't understand why the FCC laid the smack down on the incident is there are nudity regulations for prime time network television in the States. If the Super Bowl was aired on cable television, i.e. HBO or Cinemax, the breast flash wouldn't have been a big deal or violated any laws. The Super Bowl is the last game of the NFL season until September (which many of us NFL fans suffer major withdrawals until the season starts again, lol). I can see why some people complained, but she shouldn't have born the brunt of the scorn, imho.

As for most NFL fans, halftime is mainly used to go pee, refill your plate and get some more beer, LMFAO!! I was doing that very thing when I heard the roar from the fellas at the Super Bowl party my brother hosted, all of them yelling "We saw Janet's TITTY" like the loveable neanderthals they are. . . :lmao:

Resurrect the group, Up With People for future halftime shows and call it a day. ;)

Last edited:
Back