2014 Winter Olympics- Sochi Thread

PoP

Proud Member
Country
Canada
Well it's that time again. Well not the time yet, but the earlier the better since the Olympics is ready to start next week.

Since the Sochi thread will begin now, I do have an info regarding.

I heard news (via. SportsNet Connected) that the NHL might pull the players from the Olympics and re-evaluate sending the players in Sochi due to security threats. And also I just found out the NHL may not able to let the players participate more Winter Olympics beyond Sochi possible due to financial reasons and because they wanna bring back World Cup of Hockey soon for which hasn't been held since 2004. I don't see why the reason why the NHL players shouldn't participate in the Olympics beyond Sochi, we need the best players to participate in these games, if not, who's gonna play? The amateurs or the juniors? Hell no! If the NHL won't allow the players to participate the next Olympics, then what's good for watching hockey in the Olympics to see your hockey heroes in action?

And anyways, be sure to check your channels for the Olympics and for the schedules for your favourite winter games like hockey, figure skating, snowboarding, skiing and more.

[SIZE=+1]COUNTRIES-BROADCASTS[/SIZE]

Russia- C1R, VGTRK, NTV Plus
USA- NBC
Canada- CBC, TSN, SportsNet, Ici Radio-Canada Télé, RDS, TVA Sports
Mexico- América Móvil, Canal 8, Canal 22
Latin America- América Móvil
Brazil- Rede Globo, Rede Banderiantes, Rede Record, SporTV
Carribean- SportsMax
Europe- Sportfive
Austria- ORF, ATV
Belarus- Belteleradio
Bulgaria- BNT, Diema
Croatia- HRT
Czech Rep.- ČT, TV Nova, Český Rozhlas
Denmark- DR, TV2
Estonia- ERR, MTG
Finland- Fle
France- France Télévisions, RMC
Germany- ARD, ZDF, Sport1
Hungary- MTVA
Ireland- RTÉ
Italy- Sky Italia, Cielo, RAI
Kazakhstan- Khabar
Latvia- LTV, MTG
Lithuania- LNK, Lietuvos rytas TV, MTG
Luxembourg- CLT-UFA
Montenegro- RTCG
Netherlands- NOS
Norway- TV2
Poland- TVP
Portugal- Sport TV
Romania- TVR
Serbia- RTS
Slovakia- RTVS, Markíza, TV Nova
Slovania- RTVS, Slovanija
Spain- RTVE
Sweden- MTG
Switzerland- SRG, SSR
Ukraine- NTKU
UK- BBC
Asia- Dentsu
China- CCTV
Japan- Japan Consortium
North Korea- SBS
Phillippines- Sports5
South Korea- SBS
Turkey- FOX
Central Asia- Dentsu
Pacific Islands- Sky Television
Australia- Network Ten
New Zealand- Sky Television
Middle East- ASBU
Azerbaijan- İTV
Georgia- GPD
Isreal- Sport 5
Sub Saharan Africa- SuperSport, Infront Sports & Media
South Africa- SuperSport
Iceland- RÚV, 365

Here are a few pics I found to be my favourite during the Opening.

Canadians (Hayley Wickenheiser the flag bearer of Canada)
OLY157-Sochi-Olympics-Openi.jpg

Zdeno Chara the flag bearer of Slovakia
zdeno_chara.jpg

Canadian skater Kirsten Moore-Towers with Zdeno Chara
Bf3rLBkIAAArMj6.jpg:large

The opening ceremony was great. I hope Finland wins in hockey but I doubt it. :D Glad that Teemu is in the team.

Last edited:
Great opening ceremony, though I was surprised by the empty seats behind the athletes as they came in. Unless that section was emptied for safety reasons or something.

My country does not have high hopes in Winter Olympics, we aren't a winter sports country (we are a lot more successful in the summer games), so I'm mainly just watching it as an outsider. I'm most interested in figure skating (I hope we will see MJ routines :) ).

I couldn't watch the opening ceremony, I didn't know at what time it was broadcast in my country. I wanted to watch Germany trolling Russia (its government) with their rainbow-like uniform. :lol: I can't wait to watch artistic skating, I enjoy all its categories in general. If Michael is included in the dance routines, I bet all of us will be so happy. I hope I can catch skiing jump, snow boarding, slalom and skeleton as well.

Has anyone read twits from this twitter account?
https://twitter.com/SochiProblems

Sometimes I'm in tears after laughing so much to his twits :giggle:

Poor Zdeno Chara, he is so tall that his bed needed an extension bit to it:)

The opening ceremony was great. I hope Finland wins in hockey but I doubt it. :D Glad that Teemu is in the team.

Well I predict Finland is gonna bronze, but indeed they're an awesome team especially their goalies like Anttii Niemi and Tuukka Rask. I'll be watching Canada vs Finland next Sunday in men's hockey.

I couldn't watch the opening ceremony, I didn't know at what time it was broadcast in my country. I wanted to watch Germany trolling Russia (its government) with their rainbow-like uniform. :lol: I can't wait to watch artistic skating, I enjoy all its categories in general. If Michael is included in the dance routines, I bet all of us will be so happy. I hope I can catch skiing jump, snow boarding, slalom and skeleton as well.

Well I just happened to find it, it was amateur shot and that was in Polish. 12:06, you'll see the Germans come in.

[YOUTUBE]1vmlNSkiipg[/YOUTUBE]

Has anyone read twits from this twitter account?
https://twitter.com/SochiProblems

Sometimes I'm in tears after laughing so much to his twits :giggle:

Poor Zdeno Chara, he is so tall that his bed needed an extension bit to it:)

LOL! I guess it has something to do the malfunction with the last Olympic ring, I remember back in Vancouver they had a similar malfunction during the opening ceremony.

I saw a pic of his bed, a bed that size half of Chara's legs will be shown while he sleeps, that's why he's the biggest player in the NHL and a hardest shooter. And you should also know that Chara speaks 7 languages including Russian.

Thanks Pop, the German's team uniform was trolling done right. :lol:

Wow, Zdeno Chara looks as tall as a basketball player! :eek: My ridiculous 5ft make feel so insignificant.

Thanks Pop, the German's team uniform was trolling done right. :lol:

Wow, Zdeno Chara looks as tall as a basketball player! :eek: My ridiculous 5ft make feel so insignificant.

Hehe. He's 6'9" 255lbs, he's the perfect player for the Boston Bruins.

In Woman's Hockey, Canada shut Switzerland out 5-0, they even outshot them 69-14 in the opening game.

I just totally L.O.V.E. the Opening Ceremonies. So glad that I had taped them. Seeing those ceremonies makes so glad that I am part Russian. I may be an American. But I am supporting the countries of Ireland, England, Scotland, Germany, Austria, Poland, and Russia. Since those are the countries I am part of. When it comes to both the summer and winter Olympics. I am always supporting my home countries teams. Most especially Russia and Poland since that is what I consider myself more of. Instead of the country I actually live in. I am watching all of the events except ice hockey. Since that is a sport I never really care much for. But it is so very awesome to see women's ski jumping finally including in the Olympics. It is about time they finally did that. But it will be even way more awesome to see some of the skaters doing their routines to some of Michael's music. Especially if it is from one of the countries that I am supporting.

Time for the Medal Count.

1. Norway (2-Gold, 1-Silver, 1-Bronze = 4)
2. Canada (1-Gold, 1-Silver, 1-Bronze = 3)
2. Netherlands (1-Gold, 1-Silver, 1-Bronze = 3)
4. USA (1-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 2)
5. Austria (0-Gold, 1-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
5. Sweden (0-Gold, 1-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
7. Czech Rep. (0-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 1)

Last edited:
There will be two routines to MJ's music in ice dance.

I’d love to know more about your programs this season – and especially about the free dance. Whose idea was it to use a Michael Jackson medley? One thing is sure: the musical choice suits your style of skating perfectly; you are both very convincing when skating Michael’s songs, which is why I have to ask: are you fans of his music? (I know I am…)

Penny: We are both huge Michael Jackson fans! I actually found the album when we were looking for music for last season. I fell in love with the Cirque du Soleil versions because they offer Michael Jackson with a twist, but we decided to save it for Olympic season because we thought it was special, and exactly what we wanted to do this year.
Nick: I thought I found the music? I guess it was a long time ago now! (laughs) I think Penny said it perfectly… We love his music and I think it’s so important to pick something you enjoy skating to because you will be listening to it all season! I think you know when you have chosen the right piece of music for you when you enjoy listening to it in the last practice session of the season just the same as in the first one.

There will be two Michael Jackson routines in Sochi: yours and the one skated by Maia and Alex Shibutani. Which are your aces, what differentiate your program from theirs?

Penny: To be honest, I think that when you hear that another team is using the same theme as you is a little disappointing. Having said that, Nick and I have watched their programme throughout the season, and we really love it! I think it’s great that two couples can skate to the same artist and have their programmes come out completely differently. It illustrates how great and how versatile Michael Jackson was, no two songs sound the same! We thoroughly enjoy skating our Free Dance, and I am sure they feel the same way.
Nick: I also think it’s great that our programmes are very different even though they are both Michael Jackson. I think they both provide something that the audience will enjoy in Sochi and that’s great for us and for figure skating. Sochi is a figure skating platform for the world to see and I think we both show that ice dance can be fun and exciting. As far as our aces, I think we have tried to use our size difference as an advantage to make our lifts as spectacular as possible. I think it’s very important to play to your strengths, especially in an Olympic season, so that’s what we have tried to incorporate and earn some extra points.

http://www.insideskating.net/2014/0...solutely-the-best-moment-in-our-career-so-far

Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland at the European Championships

[video=youtube;z6OwdwYy9kQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6OwdwYy9kQ[/video]

Maia and Alex Shibutani at the American Championships

[video=youtube;Z8105bEkeAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8105bEkeAo[/video]

Last edited:
Neighbours heard a woman scream and thought someone tried to murder her or something like that.
They called the police but when they came to the womans apartment the woman was alone and didn´t understand why the police came.
She had just been watching skiathlon where Hellner managed to take a silver medal.
She became very excited about it.

I love the Women's Ski Slopestyle, Dara Howell was incredible she really impressed, I'm not a fan of that sport seeing Howell I was so blown away.

[YOUTUBE]ADybsLB1uH8[/YOUTUBE]

Seeing Shaun White not winning gold medal this must've been a huge disapppointment for the Americans, I wanna see him his 3rd consecuticve gold medal, but it didn't happen. But he's always a fantastic snowboarder.

I was able to watch half of Canada vs USA in Women's Hockey this morning and I was able to catch the end of the game before I go to work. Canada wins 3-2. YAY!!!
Medal Count Update

1. Norway (4-Gold, 3-Silver, 5-Bronze = 12)
2. Canada (4-Gold, 4-Silver, 2-Bronze = 10)
2. Netherlands (4-Gold, 2-Silver, 4-Bronze = 10)
4. Germany (6-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 7)
4. USA (2-Gold, 1-Silver, 4-Bronze = 7)
4. Russia (1-Gold, 3-Silver, 3-Bronze = 7)
7. Austria (1-Gold,4-Silver, 0-Bronze = 5)
8. Switzerland (3-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 4)
8. Slovenia (1-Gold, 14-Silver, 2-Bronze = 4)
8. Sweden (0-Gold, 3-Silver, 1-Bronze = 4)
11. France (1-Gold, 0-Silver, 2-Bronze = 3)
11. Czech Rep. (0-Gold, 2-Silver, 1-Bronze = 3)
11. Japan (0-Gold, 2-Silver, 1-Bronze = 3)
14. Italy (0-Gold, 1-Silver, 1-Bronze = 2)
15. Belarus (1-Gold, 0-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. South Korea (1-Gold, 0-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. Poland (1-Gold, 0-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. Slovakia (1-Gold, 0-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. China (0-Gold, 1-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. Finland (0-Gold, 1-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. UK (0-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 1)
15. Latvia (0-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 1)
15. Ukraine (0-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 1)

Even though Norway has more medals in total, Germany has the first place because of the amount of Gold medals.
Russia won its second Gold medal on ice skating in pairs which was so beautiful and dramatic to watch.

Yeah, I saw what happened to Shaun White, very unfortunate but the Gold, Silver and Bronze medalist didn't fell. Very surprising the Silver medalist was a 15 year old Japanese boy.

1 Germany 6 1 1 Total= 8
2 Canada 4 4 2 Total=10
3 Norway 4 3 5 Total=12
4 Netherlands 4 2 4 Total=10
5 United States 3 1 5 Total=9
6 Switzerland 3 0 1 Total=4
7 Russia 2 4 3 Total= 9
8 Austria 1 4 0 Total=5
9 Slovenia 1 1 2 Total= 4
10 France 1 0 2 Total=3

Russia defeated Slovenia 5-2, the USA defeated Slovakia 7-1 and Finland defeated Austria 8-4 in Men's Hockey this morning. Less than 2 hour it's Canada vs Norway. I'll be watching it on CBC Webcam.

Carey Price will start in net for Canada and Luongo will start on the next game. PK Subban and Matt Duchene will not play on the first game today.

YAY! Canada 3 Norway 1. Patrice Bergeron got 2 assists today. 2 SWEET!

So proud of all our Dutch iceskaters !!! Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

YAY! Canada 3 Norway 1. Patrice Bergeron got 2 assists today. 2 SWEET!

Too bad so little of Ice hockey will be televised :(

My son and I love this sport ...

1484199_464452736997722_1133036636_n.jpg

my son about 9 years ago

Too bad so little of Ice hockey will be televised :(

My son and I love this sport ...

1484199_464452736997722_1133036636_n.jpg

my son about 9 years ago

Does your son ever watch any NHL games? I was about his age when I became a fan of hockey.

Canada wins 6-0 over Austria in Men's Hockey. Jeff Carter scored a hatrick of the game.

Even though I missed so much to watch Evgeni Plushenko competing, Yuzuru Hanyu deserved to win the Gold medal in figure skating, in his short program he was perfection. First time Japan gets a Gold medal in that category. I think tomorrow starts the skating dance short programs, I don't remember if the couples from USA and GrB used Michael for their short program or long one, I'll check it out anyway.

I wonder if Kim Yuna will repeat Gold medal for ladies.

I´m so happy for the women in Swedens cross country skiing team, they won gold in stafett 4x5 km although it looked impossible to catch up on the last leg.
Swedens first medal in stafett for women since 1960 in the olympics

Does your son ever watch any NHL games? I was about his age when I became a fan of hockey.

Canada wins 6-0 over Austria in Men's Hockey. Jeff Carter scored a hatrick of the game.

He watched today's: USA - Russia
but not much is televised here ...have to watch everything on the computer ..it's not the same I guess
He loves the Canadian team

He watched today's: USA - Russia
but not much is televised here ...have to watch everything on the computer ..it's not the same I guess
He loves the Canadian team

Well at least he can watch the games either on TV or online. I'm happy to hear he's in for the Canadians. I'm really looking forward to Canada vs Finland, I wanna see Patrice Bergeron go against Bruins teammate Tuukka Rask, but I think Antti Niema will have a turn on net and I still say Rask is the best Finnish goalie today.

YES!!!! Drew Doughty just scored an overtime winning goal over Finland 2-1. Both Carey Price and Tuukka Rask did an awesome job on net.

Medal Count Update

1. Norway (4-Gold, 3-Silver, 5-Bronze = 12)
2. Canada (4-Gold, 4-Silver, 2-Bronze = 10)
2. Netherlands (4-Gold, 2-Silver, 4-Bronze = 10)
4. Germany (6-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 7)
4. USA (2-Gold, 1-Silver, 4-Bronze = 7)
4. Russia (1-Gold, 3-Silver, 3-Bronze = 7)
7. Austria (1-Gold,4-Silver, 0-Bronze = 5)
8. Switzerland (3-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 4)
8. Slovenia (1-Gold, 14-Silver, 2-Bronze = 4)
8. Sweden (0-Gold, 3-Silver, 1-Bronze = 4)
11. France (1-Gold, 0-Silver, 2-Bronze = 3)
11. Czech Rep. (0-Gold, 2-Silver, 1-Bronze = 3)
11. Japan (0-Gold, 2-Silver, 1-Bronze = 3)
14. Italy (0-Gold, 1-Silver, 1-Bronze = 2)
15. Belarus (1-Gold, 0-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. South Korea (1-Gold, 0-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. Poland (1-Gold, 0-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. Slovakia (1-Gold, 0-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. China (0-Gold, 1-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. Finland (0-Gold, 1-Silver, 0-Bronze = 1)
15. UK (0-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 1)
15. Latvia (0-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 1)
15. Ukraine (0-Gold, 0-Silver, 1-Bronze = 1)

What a strange medal count. How can Germany and the US share 4th place when Germany has 6 gold medals and the US only has 2? :unsure: Makes no sense to me.

Anyway, here's an updated medal table:

RankCountryGoldSilverBronzeTotal
1Germany73212
2Netherlands55717
3Norway53614
4Switzerland5117
5Russian Fed.47516
6Canada46414
7United States44816
8Poland4004
9China3205
10Belarus3014
11Sweden2529
12Austria2417
13France2046
14Japan1315
15Czech Republic1214
16Slovenia1135
17Korea1113
18Great Britain1012
19Slovakia1001
20Italy0235
21Finland0202
22Latvia0123
23Australia0112
24Croatia0101
=25Kazakhstan0011
=25Ukraine0011
Proud of my country :pleased:

What a strange medal count. How can Germany and the US share 4th place when Germany has 6 gold medals and the US only has 2? :unsure: Makes no sense to me.

Anyway, here's an updated medal table:

RankCountryGoldSilverBronzeTotal
1Germany73212
2Netherlands55717
3Norway53614
4Switzerland5117
5Russian Fed.47516
6Canada46414
7United States44816
8Poland4004
9China3205
10Belarus3014
11Sweden2529
12Austria2417
13France2046
14Japan1315
15Czech Republic1214
16Slovenia1135
17Korea1113
18Great Britain1012
19Slovakia1001
20Italy0235
21Finland0202
22Latvia0123
23Australia0112
24Croatia0101
=25Kazakhstan0011
=25Ukraine0011
Proud of my country :pleased:

It isn't strange. They used the total of most Gold medals, I used the total of most medals instead. Happy for Canada to get the total of 14 medals (4 gold though).

Back