KJ vs AEG - Appeal Thread

ivy

Proud Member
This Thread is to post updates and discuss the appeal process only. Please do not use this thread to rehash/debate the Katherine Jackson vs AEG Verdict or Trial. To keep our threads on topic you can continue to debate/discuss the verdict and trial only in the designated thread reopened in the AEG Trial sub forum for that purpose.
Verdict Reached: AEG NOT Liable - Discussion- Katherine Jackson vs AEG)

Ongoing appeals are updated below :

March 6, 2014 update:

CONSOLIDATED APPEAL: The two appeals below (verdict appeal and dismissal of Phillips and Gongaware) have been consolidated. Opening brief is due in a month (April 4, 2014).

Link: http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.gov/search/case/mainCaseScreen.cfm?dist=2&doc_id=2061332

Phillips and Gongaware dismissal appeal - ONGOING CONSOLIDATED

On November 8th 2013 Jacksons filed an appeal about judge's decision to dismiss Phillips and Gongaware as defendants.

appeal document http://amradaronline.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/jackson-appeal246.pdf

Link : http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.gov/search/case/mainCaseScreen.cfm?dist=2&doc_id=2061332

Verdict Appeal - ONGOING CONSOLIDATED

On January 22, 2014 Jacksons sent a notice of appeal in regards to the verdict/judgment entered in the case. Notice of the appeal was logged on January 29th.

Link: http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.gov/search/case/dockets.cfm?dist=2&doc_id=2067641&doc_no=B253972

;

Closed appeals are below

The summary judgment appeal DISMISSED - dismissal request by Jacksons

This was filed before the trial started.

Link : http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.gov/search/case/dockets.cfm?dist=2&doc_id=2044484&doc_no=B248420

Opening brief due : 12/09/2013

Opening brief wasn't filed on time.

12/13/2013 Appellant notified re failure to timely file opening brief.

December 18th Jacksons filed a request to dismiss this appeal.

12/18/2013 Request for dismissal filed. appellant's counsel

Motion for a new trial - REJECTED

On December 2nd Katherine Jackson filed a notice of intent for a new trial motion.

Notice of intent: http://www.scribd.com/doc/189403371/Notice-of-Intent-to-move-for-a-new-trial

On December 12 she filed the motion.

Motion : http://www.scribd.com/doc/191359618/Jackson-Motion-for-New-Trial

Jury Affidavits: http://www.scribd.com/doc/191359933/Jury-Affidavits-for-new-trial

On December 23rd AEG responds

AEG filed a 19 page reply with exhibits. Exhibits included 7 juror affidavits.

AEG reply document link : http://www.scribd.com/doc/193606436/AEG-New-Trial-Reply

The 7 AEG jury counter affidavits link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/193605720/AEG-Jury-Affidavits

December 27 Jacksons reply to AEG's opposition for a new trial

http://www.scribd.com/doc/194326285/Jacksons-Reply-to-AEGs-opposition

January 13 Judge denies the request for a new trial

here's the document of her final ruling : http://www.scribd.com/doc/199865002/Jackson-vs-AEG-New-Trial-Ruling

On the "Phillips and Gongaware dismissal appeal" Jackson lawyers have asked for an extension.

01/31/2014 Requested - extension of time Requested for 03/03/2014 By 31 Day(s)

Also Jackson lawyers made a request to consolidate the two - RP&PG dismissal and verdcit- active appeals.

01/31/2014 Motion filed. To consolidate B252411 & B253972 filed by counsel for appellant.

On the "Phillips and Gongaware dismissal appeal" Jackson lawyers have asked for an extension.

01/31/2014 Requested - extension of time Requested for 03/03/2014 By 31 Day(s)

Also Jackson lawyers made a request to consolidate the two - RP&PG dismissal and verdcit- active appeals.

01/31/2014 Motion filed. To consolidate B252411 & B253972 filed by counsel for appellant.

Any news on this?

and there's been an extension request & stipulation :

Appellant's appendix and opening brief due on 05/05/2014 By 31 Day(s)
filed briefs/additional 30 for opening brief; RB due 60 days (30+30) from filing of opening brief; reply brief due 50 days (20 +30) from RB.

Judge: Michael Jackson's mom should pay more than $800,000 in trial costs after failed lawsuit
The Associated Press
FILE - In this April 27, 2011 file photo, Katherine Jackson poses for a portrait in Calabasas, Calif. A Los Angeles judge tentatively ruled Monday April 14, 2014, that Katherine Jackson should pay more than $800,000 in legal costs to AEG Live LLC over her unsuccessful lawsuit against the concert promoter alleging it negligently hired the doctor convicted of causing her son's death in 2009. (AP Photo/Matt Sayles, File)

Associated Press April 14, 2014 Leave a Comment SHARE

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Jackson's mother should pay more than $800,000 in trial costs to a concert promoter that she targeted in a failed negligent hiring lawsuit involving the death of her son, a judge said Monday.

Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos issued the tentative ruling calling on the Jackson family matriarch to pay AEG Live LLC after it won the case.

The five-month trial ended in October with a jury determining that AEG Live did not negligently hire the doctor convicted of causing Michael Jackson's death in 2009 as he prepared for a comeback tour.

The ruling is expected to be finalized after AEG Live submits an amended list of its costs for items such as court filing fees, court reporters and travel. Attorneys for the company and Katherine Jackson agreed not to argue Palazuelos' tentative ruling, but it might be appealed.

Katherine Jackson's attorney Kevin Boyle said a decision on appealing the order would be made after reviewing its final language. The verdict and rulings in the case are currently being appealed.

AEG Live initially sought more than $1.2 million to cover its costs. Katherine Jackson's lawyers claimed only about a quarter of that amount was justified.

AEG Live attorney Marvin Putnam said the court did the right thing "by ordering Katherine Jackson to pay nearly $1 million spent in having to defend a matter that she should have never brought in the first place."

A motion filed by her lawyers last week stated that the costs would be borne by her and the singer's three children, all of whom are supported by his estate.

The estate has earned hundreds of millions of dollars since the singer's death and paid off his debts. It also covers schooling, housing and other costs for his children and mother.

Jackson died in June 2009 after receiving an overdose of the anesthetic propofol, which former cardiologist Conrad Murray was giving the superstar as a sleep aid during preparations for his planned "This Is It" shows. Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

http://www.usnews.com/news/entertai...4/judge-michael-jacksons-mom-should-pay-costs

The estate should deduct the money from her allowance.

One thing is certain: the jacksons know how to waste money that is NOT theirs.

Hmm......wonder where this money will be coming from? Oh yeah, MJ's Estate!

All those siblings who encouraged this, resulting in Michael's personal business being put on display for all the world to see should be the ones footing the bill. I sincerely hope The Estate doesn't pony up the money (lump sum) for this.

"borne by her and the singer's three children"? So the kids have to pay up too? Wonderful... nice way to make them suffer even more.

A motion filed by her lawyers last week stated that the costs would be borne by her and the singer's three children, all of whom are supported by his estate.

The estate has earned hundreds of millions of dollars since the singer's death and paid off his debts. It also covers schooling, housing and other costs for his children and mother.

Look at this. They go and waste the money on a case that should have never gone to court, and the attitude is : its ok becasue we will share the costs and it is really Michael that is paying it anyway. I have so much contempt for these people. It seems there is an attempt to drain the estate of its resources.

Then, this estate is giving Katherine a fake consultation job, when they know they have a legal bill to pay that she caused. Poor children have to pay for something that they did not initiate themselves. I wonder if they really understood the legal points as to why AEG was found not liable?

There goes Michael cleaning up other people's messes again. Michael paid for her Korean mess, and he is paying for her AEG mess.

I am not surprised. The Jacksons start something and expect others to take care of it and finish it.

<header class="article-header" style="box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; max-width: 1012px; padding-left: 87px; padding-right: 87px; width: auto; margin-bottom: 2.5em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: franklin-gothic-urw, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 22.399999618530273px;">[h=1]Judge: Michael Jackson’s Mom Should Pay Costs[/h]
<time class="publish-date" itemprop="datePublished" datetime="2014-04-14 14:03:46" pubdate="" style="box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; display: inline-block; font-size: 1rem; margin: 0px 20.265625px 0px 0px; vertical-align: top; zoom: 1;">April 14, 2014</time>

</header><section class="article-body" itemprop="articleBody" style="box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; max-width: 1012px; padding: 0px 87px; width: 1012px; position: relative; font-size: 1.2em; font-family: Georgia; color: rgb(40, 40, 40);">(LOS ANGELES) — A judge has indicated that Michael Jackson’s mother should pay the promoter of her son’s ill-fated comeback concerts more than $800,000 in costs associated with her failed negligent hiring lawsuit.
Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos issued a tentative ruling Monday against Katherine Jackson,
The five-month trial ended with a jury determining that AEG Live LLC did not negligently hire the doctor convicted of causing Michael Jackson’s death in 2009.
AEG Live initially sought more than $1.2 million to cover the cost of court reporters and exhibits. Katherine Jackson’s lawyers claimed only about a quarter of that amount was justified.
Both sides agreed not to argue the tentative ruling, although once finalized it can be appealed.
http://time.com/62014/judge-michael-jacksons-mom-should-pay-costs/

</section>

Does this judge really think that Mrs. Jackson will shell out $800k?
Sooooooo don't think so.

Judge rules Michael Jackson's mom, kids must pay AEG court cost
By Alan Duke, CNN

updated 6:52 PM EDT, Mon April 14, 2014

Katherine Jackson and Prince, Paris, Blanket would have to personally pay
AEG lawyers ask for $1.2 million, but the judge lowers amount to $800,000
The Jacksons will not have to pay until their appeal is concluded and only if they lose
A jury rejected the Jacksons' claim the concert promoter was liable in the star's death

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Michael Jackson's mother and three children may be on the hook for $800,000 if they lose their appeal of the AEG wrongful death verdict, a judge ruled Monday.

Katherine Jackson and grandchildren Prince, Paris and Blanket would have to personally pay the money, because California law prohibits her lawyers, who footed much of her legal costs in the lawsuit, from paying it.

The Jacksons sued the concert promoter, accusing the company of responsibility in the pop icon's 2009 death because it hired, retained or supervised the doctor convicted of involuntary manslaughter. A jury rejected their case after a six-month trial last year.

AEG Live lawyers initially asked for $1.2 million from the Jacksons, but Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos ordered them to resubmit their claim with $400,000 in expenses removed.

The Jacksons will not have to pay the $800,000 until their appeal is concluded and only if they lose. A California appeals court will hear arguments on the case in November, but it could be years before the judgment is final.

Jackson's mother and children are the only beneficiaries to the trust funded by his estate.

Palazuelos denied the Jacksons' request for a new trial in January.

Jackson lawyers argued the verdict form used by the jury was faulty and that the judge erred by refusing to let them pursue a negligence claim independent of the hiring case.

"AEG Live attorney Marvin Putnam said the court did the right thing "by ordering Katherine Jackson to pay nearly $1 million spent in having to defend a matter that she should have never brought in the first place."

Damn right and that bill should be sent to Randy. I beg for the estate to stay firm and refuse to pay those costs. If anything reduce KJ allowance and take the money from it. This is not what MJ stated in his will.

"A motion filed by her lawyers last week stated that the costs would be borne by her and the singer's three children, all of whom are supported by his estate."

:puke:
F..k off Boyle. PPB had no say about this case as KJ testified she did not ask kids, so they should not pay for her foolishness.

"The Jacksons will not have to pay the $800,000 until their appeal is concluded and only if they lose. A California appeals court will hear arguments on the case in November, but it could be years before the judgment is final."

The Jacksons aren't going to pay anything anyway, MJ as always ends up paying his family ****ery.
Guess who is going to step in in case KJ kicks the bucket before appeal.

Few years ago, KJ was whining to the media that the estate are spending money on many unnecessary lawsuits.
Given that, her and her useless family have been the reason some of those lawsuits and I would like to know the total amount of money how much the estate have spent for lawyers and lawsuits caused by this family.

In a brighter side, I was surprised by this:
"Jackson died in June 2009 after receiving an overdose of the anesthetic propofol, which former cardiologist Conrad Murray was giving the superstar as a sleep aid during preparations for his planned "This Is It" shows. Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter."

It is rarity that any media gets it right!

Ps, I had to check who wrote the article and it was Anthony McCartney, no wonder it was accurate:bow:

Last edited:
I am not surprised. The Jacksons start something and expect others to take care of it and finish it.

I agree. Like I've said, whenever Katherine messes up, the Estate always has to pay for it. And now, they will most likely have to pay to clean up another one of her wrecks yet again. They've been real nice to her considering how she continues to cause problems for them, including trashing them in the media some time ago. I just don't understand the Jacksons anymore. I really don't.

Last edited:
I agree. Like I've said, whenever Katherine messes up, the Estate always has to pay for it. And now, they will most likely have to pay to clean up another one of her wrecks yet again. They've been real nice to her considering how she continues to cause problems for them, including trashing them in the media some time ago. I just don't understand the Jacksons anymore. I really don't.

can the Estate refuse to pay that legal bill?

I doubt they will refuse. they are suckers when it comes to kj

I hope kids court appointed guardian Margaret Lodise will say no on behalf of kids. She didn't allow payment for KJ when she tried to get some money out of the estate by saying she made some deal to make money to the estate, and in the end KJ didn't get the money.

so mrs jackson was using MJ's money, asking money from AEG to her own pocket, then failed...

why??? why the jackson family never paied anything for their greedy\foolish behavior??

i am not ok with that~~

Last edited:
Oh the estate will pay, because they have to take care of Katherine's needs. Michael wanted them to take care of his mom. If she has a big legal bill, it will be paid.

Why did Anthony say Katherine's lawyers can't pay for the bill? Isn't it the usual thing that the person who hired the attorney pays the costs when they lose? I never heard of a lawyer being asked to pay the cost after his client lost, so why is Anthony making that statement? Anyone knows.

Katherine Jackson has that same 'entitlement' complex that her children have and her husband, Joe Jackson. It seems when Michael wrote out his Will, he gave his mother, Katherine, 40%. It seems that would be her 'entitlement' payment to look over his children. It's as if Katherine can't do anything out of the goodness of her heart without money being attached to it. Then the love pours forth.

Yep, those lawyer fees will be paid by Michael's Estate, no doubt about it. If AEG Live had not negotiated a deal with the late Michael Jackson, then Michael would not have died, because it's AEG Live's fault for hiring Conrad Murray!

148926_328873077180861_526088212_n.jpg

First time Michael saw his relatives, since the 2005 trial.

The woman has cost tens of millions of dollars to the estate since he passed. The amount she has foolishly and selfishly spent on herself, her greedy bunch and on lawyers working against the estate is incredible. There is no way in hell Michael would have spent that much on her if he were still living today. But you don't see gratitude do you? You see entitlement. I hope the money comes from her portion, so that whatever she is supposed to get decreases.

I hope the estate stays in probate for another 5 or more years, just so that there will be no way for her to get her fingers on the money.

RIP Michael, you are severely missed and loved.

ivy;3974683 said:
and there's been an extension request & stipulation :

Appellant's appendix and opening brief due on 05/05/2014 By 31 Day(s)
filed briefs/additional 30 for opening brief; RB due 60 days (30+30) from filing of opening brief; reply brief due 50 days (20 +30) from RB.

Any news on this and was that opening brief was held on 05/05?

PS. I found this from Ivy's twitter
Ivy @Ivy_4MJ · 28m
KJ is late in filling her opening brief for appeal against AEG (was due on May 5th). If it's not filed by May 27, Appeal may get dismissed.

Last edited:
KJ filed the opening brief. I don't have access to appeal documents so I won't be able to provide any specifics.

Back