How old were you when you started listening to Michael Jackson?

putte

Proud Member
My first real memory of MJs music was one or two years before the release of the Dangerous album. One of the first videos I saw with him was the incredible Motown25 performance. I think this was around 1990. Since then I was caught in the magic of Michael Jackson. So I was around 7-8 years old when I discovered Michael:smilerolleyes:

Re: How old was you when you started to listnening to Michael Jackson?

Well my mom grew up on mj but i remember how I became a fan So clearly which speaks loudly simply because I was 3yrs old in 1988..

I was in a store and I saw this video cover with this mysterious cool looking guy in a white suit. Colorful background which it all got my 3yr old attention. (Moonwalker) I stopped my mom and asked "who's that?" She explained to me it was michael jackson and asked if I wanted the tape. I went home and I dont even remember the first time I watched it because I was Frances but I do remembrr thr second time.. had friends and there mother over and we say around and watched it..I remmeber keep looking at everyone to see if they were as amazed as me....

1987-88: 11 yo - The way you make me feel video

After being an MJ fan for over 30 years now. I really can't remember. I do how ever remember watching those Jackson 5 cartoons back during the Thriller Era. I was only a few years or so old then. But I remember just how much I had L.O.V.E. those cartoons. And Michael was my favorite one out of his brothers. Though back during the 80s when I was growing up. I prefer Madonna more than I did with Michael. Even though they were both my number 1 favorite singers. And I do remember very little of Michael mania. And thought just how awesome it is to be a fan of someone this famous. But I would definitely say it was the late 80s was when I really starting to get more in to Michael. Seeing his Bad video back in May of 1988 is what did it for me. And cause me to have this huge mad crush on him. And also cause me to like Madonna less. But it wasn't until the Dangerous Era is what really made me start listening to him more. Cause I remember seeing the world premiere of all of his videos. Well all except for the Black Or White video. For some reason I miss that one. But I remember really loving those videos. So I was between 8 and 12 years old. Was when I really started to listen to him more than anyone else.

I was 4 or 5 when I started to sing and dance to MJ. - English is not my first language so I made up all the lyrics. - I just sang total nonsens - made no sense at all. :lol: My father has a video of me when I am 4 or 5 and dance and sing. - It's so funny.

My older brother was a huge fan, and he introduced MJ to me. :) - So it was around the Dangerous release I got hooked. :)

And in 1997 I saw the birthday concert in Parken, Copenhagen on 29th August 1997. - I actually have some pictures we took from the concert. - next time I visit my parents I can try to scan them and share. - There are some from when he got the cake! :)

It was around '94/'95, I was 10 years old and Free Willy had just come out. Just before the film starts is a music video for "Will You Be There". I don't recall my first time watching the music video, but I do remember that I loved the song- I would get up and dance around to it, trying to copy the moves. And the man doing all the singing... oh man! He was beautiful. He made my little 10 year-old heart go pitter-patter! lol :wub: I have had a crush on him ever since.

I've always loved his music, but I can't saw I grew up listening to it. Just whenever it would come on the radio. I've only actually been listening to his full catalog for a couple weeks now. I got bored one day and finally watched "This Is It", which made me want to learn more about Michael. I began my research and the more I found out about him, the more respect I began to have for him. I always knew he was a kind and generous person, but I didn't realize just how kind and generous he was. I also never knew just how deep, insightful and intelligent he was. It's such a shame that that side of him wasn't celebrated more. I still think it's not celebrated enough.

Since I was a toddler probably, so Bad-Dangerous eras. A casual fan at least, until 2009.

My earliest memory was when I was about 6 years old. Going crazy in my livingroom to Black or White.

I was about 10-11, in 1987-88. The son of my father's friend left his Bad cassette tape in my father's car. My father put it in the player and that was it for me. Then he made a copy for me and we also got MTV so I first saw his videos (I think Bad was the first I saw). And that sealed it for me.

It was early 2008, when I was 12 that I 'discovered' Michael Jackson properly :)

Of course, I was aware of him, but I grew up in a time when he as a person wasn't exactly popular... sadly. One day I came across Thriller on YouTube and I burnt the video to CD and danced to it (I remember my dad catching me dancing as he walked past the room, he smirked :p). I then remembered that my parents had one of his albums, so I went to our CD cabinet and found their original first pressing of HIStory (TDCAU uncensored :D).

I slowly went through Disc 1 especially, often going "OMG I NEVER KNEW MJ MADE THIS SONG"... I remember the first time I played Black or White, I was playing it through earphones and I took them off during the intro, thinking my neighbours were actually arguing :lol:

Over the summer holidays from 2008-2009, I became to delve more and more into Disc 2 and I have many memories of staying up to the wee hours playing HIStory on my iPod over and over and over again. I won't lie, his death did give me a little 'push' to go into his discography more, but I certainly wasn't a stranger before hand.

I can connect many of the songs from HIStory to personal events throughout my life. Michael Jackson's music is the soundtrack to my life

Late starter me, 14 and a half

Probably ever since I was born, but officially became a fan when I was 2 years old apparently.

I can connect many of the songs from HIStory to personal events throughout my life. Michael Jackson's music is the soundtrack to my life

It was early 2008, when I was 12 that I 'discovered' Michael Jackson properly :)

Of course, I was aware of him, but I grew up in a time when he as a person wasn't exactly popular... sadly. One day I came across Thriller on YouTube and I burnt the video to CD and danced to it (I remember my dad catching me dancing as he walked past the room, he smirked :p). I then remembered that my parents had one of his albums, so I went to our CD cabinet and found their original first pressing of HIStory (TDCAU uncensored :D).

I slowly went through Disc 1 especially, often going "OMG I NEVER KNEW MJ MADE THIS SONG"... I remember the first time I played Black or White, I was playing it through earphones and I took them off during the intro, thinking my neighbours were actually arguing :lol:

Over the summer holidays from 2008-2009, I became to delve more and more into Disc 2 and I have many memories of staying up to the wee hours playing HIStory on my iPod over and over and over again. I won't lie, his death did give me a little 'push' to go into his discography more, but I certainly wasn't a stranger before hand.

I was 4 or 5 when I started to sing and dance to MJ. - English is not my first language so I made up all the lyrics. - I just sang total nonsens - made no sense at all. :lol: My father has a video of me when I am 4 or 5 and dance and sing. - It's so funny.

My older brother was a huge fan, and he introduced MJ to me. :) - So it was around the Dangerous release I got hooked. :)

And in 1997 I saw the birthday concert in Parken, Copenhagen on 29th August 1997. - I actually have some pictures we took from the concert. - next time I visit my parents I can try to scan them and share. - There are some from when he got the cake! :)

Yeah,do that.That would be nice :)

3 years old. Back in 1988. Bad video. I love the sequence when he runs up the stairs, stop before the shaft (or something else) does his spin and sing the second chorus. I ever imitated that when i was a little child. In that time I always want to go the mini playback show here in Germany and performe Bad or Thriller. My first album ever, was the BAD album. Summer holidays 88 in Turkey. I remember I was sleeping on a couch and a melodie made me awake this night. It was a song from the BAD Album, which my father bought for me and made a suprise during I was sleeping. I was so lucky. I'll never forget that night. It's now 26 years since I'm a fan. Unbelievable how fast the time is run away.

6yo in 1983 to death!

The first time I heard a song of his I was about 10, but I really became a fan of him at the age of 16, now I'm almost 21!

Probably since birth. My Aunt used to play his music around me all the time

I was 10 years old, it was 1992:)

I was 7 years old. Now I'm 37. It's my 30th anniversary this year....

My goodness... I'm a old woman.....................

I was 6. Since 1995 (HIStory album).

I remember I was 3 years old, my godfather played Michael's music or his shorts a lot when I used to visit him. I watched Thriller for the first time in 1989 but I really became his fan in 1990 and 24 years later, here I am. :)

I was 14 in 2001 when i really started to listen to him. I remember buying the remastered versions of Thriller, OTW, Bad, and Dangerous in 2001. I bought "History In the Mix" thinking i'd find "Earth Song" etc on it lol. Then (or before) i bought "You Rock My World" the single cd with an eye on it and then the album. The dvd cover of "The Jacksons: An American Dream" fooled me. I really thought i was looking at Michael Jackson when it was actually Wylie Draper (may you rest in peace). That's why i bought the dvd. At first, i regretted buying it but the movie grew on me. :)

I kind of miss this era because everything was new. I had not seen so many performances. I remember that tv night when i discovered many music videos of his. Before the video, you could hear a voice-over while watching a snippet of the video (without the music). I grabbed a tape and recorded the whole thing. Watching "Ghosts" at night was magic. The Smooth Criminal video with the sexy Asian woman. The Black Or White video, man, the dance sounds. *Spins: ssssss* "Tchaaaa" *tap dance sounds* Moving like he's hearing music you cannot hear. Like he's possessed. Magic night. :D

Aww- you got to attend his birthday concert? So lucky! I think the fact that his crew got together and did that for him was so sweet. I never understood why Michael cared so much about what the media thought of him. I mean, I do understand it, but what I mean is, he was surrounded by people who loved him. Screw the press! haha

Anyway, I would love to see those if you don't mind scanning them in. What an incredible memory to have :)

I think it was around 1997-1998, my parents grew up with Mj and I was very young at the time maybe about 5 or 6. The first video I saw was "In the Closet" I remember telling my mom he was really pretty. I liked his hair in the video lol.

Really early! I was 3 or 4 years old when my dad introduced me into his music or even earlier! I remember I'd always stopped crying when he'd play the Motown 25 and he thought me how the remote control works for a DVD cus I'd always watch the HIStory Films. that was around 1999-2000! And I remember watching the concert in MSG on TV and I had school the next day and everyone was talking about it in pre-school!

I paid attention has Michael at the time of the first diffusion of THRILLER in France, on television, was done on line in the emission Fields-Elysées, presented by Michel Drucker, in 1983!
I remained shocked during several hours after this video and of this Michael day made party of my life up to now!

In the summer of 2008 when I was 10 I was trying to get into this arts secondary school and to boost my chances of being accepted I had to attend a saturday club for a few weeks with 1 hour each of dancing, singing and tap dancing. On the very first week of attending the dance class I was told we were practising for the yearly show at the school and this year the dance class would dance to Thriller. They put on the CD and we were dancing to it and just remember thinking "this is a pretty good song" and at the end the teacher said "if you haven't you should watch the thriller video when you get home" so I did and just thought it sounded and looked so amazing. I replayed it about 4 times and each time noticing in the 'suggested videos' MJ next to a car (twymmf video) and just thought 'i'll click on it but it's probably terrible, thriller I bet is his only good song'. Watch it and realised it also sounds and looks amazing and from then until 3 years later I just listened to the King of Pop deluxe edition because I didn't realize he had other songs lol. I discovered invincible in 2011 and just looked deeper into his discography from then.

I was 5 years old in 1991 when I heard the song "Remember the time". I was in the car with my sister who was 17 at the time. Later on, I became a fan in 2001.

Back