The Benedict Cumberbatch Universe

maja

Proud Member
Benedict%2BCumberbatch%2Bas%2BSherlock%2BHolmes%2Bin%2BBBC%2BSherlock%2BThe%2BGreat%2BGame.jpg

Any Benedict Cumberbatch fans here?!?

I became fan of his years ago when I watched 'Sherlock' for the first time. Now I've watched practically every movie and series he's in and I sooooo love his acting!

I like his diversity (blockbusters, 'alternative' movies, mini series, radio, theater), I absolutely love his voice

..I mean, listen to this:

and gosh HE LOOKS SOOOOOOO GOOD!!! :wub::wild:

So, if you like/love/adore him as well, share your thoughts! :D

Yesterday I watched The Fifth Estate for the first time and really liked it. Shame it didn't get the recognition it deserves.

Oh and for those few who don't know him, here's the link to wikipedia ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Cumberbatch

He starred in many iconic roles by now, e.g. voice/motion capture of Smaug the Dragon (Hobbit), Khan in Star Trek, 12 Years a Slave and many more.

Ahem. I believe my title and location says it all. :girl_whistle:

Since this thread was created, I urge the Cumbercollective present at MJJC to #votekhan.

http://favoritecharacter-vote.mtv.com/

He should not be fourth. He was an awesome character.

Ooooooohhh yes, he was awesome as Khan!! :wild: Shame they left out the shower scene though.. :mat:

I don't know where you're actually from (221B is a good choice of course :D) but have you already watched the 3rd Sherlock series?

Well, we still got to see the shower scene, so no harm done. He makes a brilliant psychopath though, doesn't he? :lmao: Not sure if that's a compliment or not, but anyway. :lol:

Yes, I've seen the 3rd series. I watched it when it came out.

Oh, and you were saying of his voice. :dropdead: I swear, he could just be reading the phone book and I'd be happy. Last night, I was having trouble falling asleep, so I found an audiobook narrated by him. It was a Sherlock Holmes book, funnily enough. He did all these different voices, it was really awesome, but I fell asleep in about 5 minutes. :lol: He's very soothing.

Not a psychopath, a high-functioning sociopath ;D:thumbs_up:
And yes, he's sooooooo good at it!

And I simply ADORE his voice!! Could spend hours listening to him!! :wub:

Did you like series 3? I was so nervous and then my internet broke down so I couldn't watch it when it aired on BBC. But then I ordered the BluRay via Amazon UK and watched all parts on one day ;)

I love that Jim Moriarty came back for a short appearance (and Irene!!) Molly's and Sherlock's kiss was great - I love them, they're so great together! And I think it was good that Mofftis spent some time to portray a more personal Sherlock and John.

However, I also hope that in series 4 there will be actual cases again. I mean, series 3 was a really nice twist and something different for a change, but Sherlock Holmes is all about solving cases. But I'm quite sure they'll come up with something really crazy and unexpected for series 4 - as always. :D

Did you hear that Benedict will play Hamlet in London in 2015? I'm sure he'll be great! Shame I couldn't see him as Frankenstein.

*edit*
Oh, and you were saying of his voice. :dropdead: I swear, he could just be reading the phone book and I'd be happy. Last night, I was having trouble falling asleep, so I found an audiobook narrated by him. It was a Sherlock Holmes book, funnily enough. He did all these different voices, it was really awesome, but I fell asleep in about 5 minutes. :lol: He's very soothing.
:D yeah he's great! I have that audiobook. He also reads Casanova:

:censored::smilie_butterflies::wub:

:lol: I have that set as my 'occupation'. :rofl: Obsessed? Who me? Nah. :girl_whistle:

Me too. I think if I ever met him and he'd speak to me, I wouldn't actually hear a word of what he said, I'd just listen to the sound of his voice and it'd be very embarrassing. :rofl:

I loved it! It was awesome. Especially the last 2 episodes. The Sign of Three was hilarious and His Last Vow was just plain awesome. I hope we get series 4 faster this time. :sigh: He's obviously always going to solve cases. But it's probably going to be a lot about Moriarty. Yeah, Anderson and his gang with their theories. That was fun.

I love Mary. I didn't think I would, but she's awesome!

Yeah, I heard. But I'm not from the UK, so I won't be seeing him. :( I do want to go and study in the UK though, once I finish high school (yes, I'm that young), but I won't be catching his Hamlet. But surely, he'll do other plays and if I'm within driving distance, I will certainly go see. :D

He does a lot of audiobooks. That was just the first one I stumbled across. I didn't really care what he was saying, I just wanted to hear him speak. :lol:

I hope we get series 4 faster this time.
I think they're planning to do so. Of course, both Ben and Martin have soooo many things to do these days. But I think/hope they'll always spare some time for Sherlock. :)

But it's probably going to be a lot about Moriarty.
Oh I'd absolutely LOVE that!! Andrew Scott is the perfect actor to play Moriarty. He's soooooo crazy :D I know some people don't like his portrayal of Moriarty but I think it's perfect. :wub:

I love Mary. I didn't think I would, but she's awesome!
Hmm.. yes and no. At first I didn't like her at all. Not I'm ok with her, Amanda is really nice and Mary and John are cute together. The one thing I don't like though is the fact that Mofftis made it look like as if it was John's own fault that he always chooses psychopaths as friends or in case of Mary as his partner. And I think that's not fair.

I mean, I know that they just wanted to explain that he needs adrenalin and excitement in his life but in the third series both Mary and Sherlock are blaming John for the mistakes they made. How could John (or his subconscious) have known that Mary was a killer? He may have detected some kind of thrill in her life but nothing else. After all, as we can see in the series, they live a very normal life together.

This is the one thing I don't agree with. They both hold John responsible for things he couldn't help, saying "It was YOU who chose US." And that's not fair. And you can see that in The Empty Hearse when John asks in the bistro "am I the only person reacting normally?" (or something like that). I hate the fact that Mary and Sherlock seem to understand each other better than Mary and John.

John might like excitement, yes, but he surely didn't deliberately choose to fall in love with an assassin.
Mary and Sherlock should at least feel some remorse. Maybe they did, but you can't see much of it in the series.

I think they're planning to do so. Of course, both Ben and Martin have soooo many things to do these days. But I think/hope they'll always spare some time for Sherlock. :)

Yeah, I know. I think they finished shooting for the last Hobbit movie, but Benedict is doing Hamlet next year, so I don't know if he'll have any time to film Sherlock. Only if they somehow manage to start shooting this year, we may get it by 2015, but I think it's a bit unlikely. :sigh:

Oh I'd absolutely LOVE that!! Andrew Scott is the perfect actor to play Moriarty. He's soooooo crazy :D I know some people don't like his portrayal of Moriarty but I think it's perfect. :wub:

Andrew Scott is great. They brought him back. It would be absolutely disappointing if they didn't focus on him a bit. :lol:

Hmm.. yes and no. At first I didn't like her at all. Not I'm ok with her, Amanda is really nice and Mary and John are cute together. The one thing I don't like though is the fact that Mofftis made it look like as if it was John's own fault that he always chooses psychopaths as friends or in case of Mary as his partner. And I think that's not fair.

I mean, I know that they just wanted to explain that he needs adrenalin and excitement in his life but in the third series both Mary and Sherlock are blaming John for the mistakes they made. How could John (or his subconscious) have known that Mary was a killer? He may have detected some kind of thrill in her life but nothing else. After all, as we can see in the series, they live a very normal life together.

This is the one thing I don't agree with. They both hold John responsible for things he couldn't help, saying "It was YOU who chose US." And that's not fair. And you can see that in The Empty Hearse when John asks in the bistro "am I the only person reacting normally?" (or something like that). I hate the fact that Mary and Sherlock seem to understand each other better than Mary and John.

John might like excitement, yes, but he surely didn't deliberately choose to fall in love with an assassin.
Mary and Sherlock should at least feel some remorse. Maybe they did, but you can't see much of it in the series.

Oh, I actually like that. In most SH adaptations, there is this antagonistic relationship between Mary and Sherlock, like they're competing for John. Which I find annoying. So I was really glad that Sherlock and Mary got on so well.

As for the other thing, I don't see it this way. They weren't blaming him for anything. They merely pointed out that John likes a certain type of people and a certain type of lifestyle. It's very true about all of us and I think if anyone would do some soul-searching and be perfectly honest with themselves, they would see they like a certain type of people even if it isn't a conscious thing.

And why should they feel any remorse? Neither of them forced John into the relationship. Why apologize for who they are? Yes, Mary should not have lied to him, but that's the only reason for apology. If she had come clean to John, he would have most likely still married her, as proven by his willingness to forgive her. All Sherlock said was that it shouldn't have been surprising that John fell in love with an assassin, not that it's his fault for doing so or that he was aiming for it. :lol: The implication is merely that John is drawn to broken people with an ambiguous moral code. He's a doctor, of course he's attracted to broken people, but he's also a soldier. He has strong ethics, but perhaps deep down, he enjoys the freedom that a more loose set of moral rules allows.

Yeah, I know. I think they finished shooting for the last Hobbit movie, but Benedict is doing Hamlet next year, so I don't know if he'll have any time to film Sherlock. Only if they somehow manage to start shooting this year, we may get it by 2015, but I think it's a bit unlikely.
The good thing is that Ben AND Martin will be in UK together for some time (both are playing/filming Richard III and then Ben is doing hamlet). Maybe they're able to squeeze in a little bit of Sherlock? ;)

Andrew Scott is great. They brought him back. It would be absolutely disappointing if they didn't focus on him a bit.
:D of course ;)
I love him too. He's soooooo great!! I totally love his craziness! You never know what'll happen next. I love the dancing scene in the Tower of London. :wub: He's a complete maniac LOL :D

I also don't mind Sherlock and Mary getting on well. In my opinion they sometimes just seem closer than Mary and John and I don't like that very much (even though I understand why it is the way it is, considering the sometimes dangerous jobs they have/had).

As for the other thing, I don't see it this way. They weren't blaming him for anything. They merely pointed out that John likes a certain type of people and a certain type of lifestyle. It's very true about all of us and I think if anyone would do some soul-searching and be perfectly honest with themselves, they would see they like a certain type of people even if it isn't a conscious thing.
I'm absolutely okay with that. It's only natural to be drawn to a special kind of person, according to your own taste, education and upbringing. As you said, that's only natural.
But I think it's a bit far-fetched to say that John deliberately choose to fall in love with an assassin. He's surely longing for excitement and a thrill and he must've seen all that in Mary, but he'd never have deliberately chosen a 'bad girl'. Since you mention his occupation as a doctor, I think he really believes in the good in every person. Therefore he'd never chosen an assassin and I just think he should've been a little bit more mad at Mary ;) Maybe he was, we just didn't see it in the episodes. :) It's ok for me that they made up in the end, I just expected a much more mad and yelling John. ;) :D

Oh and regarding the remorse..

Yes, Mary should not have lied to him, but that's the only reason for apology.
That's what I meant. And Sherlock should really (and honestly, without a comic element) apologize for making him believe that he was dead. That was hell for John.
What I meant to say was that they should behave a little bit more modest. For me, the switch from "I/We made a mistake" to "Let's get back to normal" comes too quickly. But that's just my perception. :)

The good thing is that Ben AND Martin will be in UK together for some time (both are playing/filming Richard III and then Ben is doing hamlet). Maybe they're able to squeeze in a little bit of Sherlock? ;)

I hope so. :D

:D of course ;)
I love him too. He's soooooo great!! I totally love his craziness! You never know what'll happen next. I love the dancing scene in the Tower of London. :wub: He's a complete maniac LOL :D

Yeah, he's awesome. :D I don't have words beyond that. :lol:

I also don't mind Sherlock and Mary getting on well. In my opinion they sometimes just seem closer than Mary and John and I don't like that very much (even though I understand why it is the way it is, considering the sometimes dangerous jobs they have/had).

Well, it's better than them being 'rivals'. That's just kind of stupid. :lol:

I'm absolutely okay with that. It's only natural to be drawn to a special kind of person, according to your own taste, education and upbringing. As you said, that's only natural.
But I think it's a bit far-fetched to say that John deliberately choose to fall in love with an assassin. He's surely longing for excitement and a thrill and he must've seen all that in Mary, but he'd never have deliberately chosen a 'bad girl'. Since you mention his occupation as a doctor, I think he really believes in the good in every person. Therefore he'd never chosen an assassin and I just think he should've been a little bit more mad at Mary ;) Maybe he was, we just didn't see it in the episodes. :) It's ok for me that they made up in the end, I just expected a much more mad and yelling John. ;) :D

Well, he didn't deliberately choose a bad girl, he subconsciously chose a bad girl. :lol: Sherlock said as much in the episode. Subconsciously is kind of the opposite of deliberately.

Oh and regarding the remorse..

That's what I meant. And Sherlock should really (and honestly, without a comic element) apologize for making him believe that he was dead. That was hell for John.
What I meant to say was that they should behave a little bit more modest. For me, the switch from "I/We made a mistake" to "Let's get back to normal" comes too quickly. But that's just my perception. :)

I can tell you from personal experience, that apologizing doesn't come easy to people like Sherlock and it becomes harder the closer you are to a person. I can't explain the mechanism of it, because I don't understand it either. It makes no sense, but I know I find it very very hard to apologize. It just goes against my nature. I'm a rather antisocial, withdrawn and rather self-confident, bordering on arrogant person. I don't really show emotion, especially affection. It just doesn't come to me, even if I feel it. I'm more on the cold and calculating side. So, I thought his way of apologizing was very realistic and I think John understands that about Sherlock. He understands that even the apology that he got was a big effort from Sherlock.

LOL Expecting modesty from Sherlock is like expecting a rock to lay eggs. As for the change, we don't exactly know how long it was between John finding out about Mary and him forgiving her, but it had to be 4-5 month, if not more, because when he finds out, she is in her early pregnancy and when he forgives her, she's most likely in her last month or such. But they obviously couldn't fit it all into the episode. :lol:

Also, I think John was beyond the point of shouting. When you find out such a thing, you go past anger, into shock and pain. You don't really have the strength to yell at the person. You just sort of mentally collapse. :p

Why is this thread not active? It needs to be more active.

tumblr_n5w6w5Wwyg1qawo6do1_400.gif

Yes he is. Is it just me, or does he look great in jeans?

tumblr_mtyau7ClpT1rch8qoo1_500.jpg

Ok, I may be the teeniest bit obsessed. But who cares :girl_in_love:

Benedict does the ALS Ice bucket challenge. He's awesome.

Anyone going to see Benedict in Hamlet this year? I'm sooooo excited!! :bugeyed:bow::jump:

Ohhhh I'll keep my fingers crossed for you then! :)
Did you apply for those low priced tickets that they will release for every show? Because the normal tickets are all sold out. I think the application closed some days ago, though.

Yes, I did. I think I should find out if I got in tomorrow. :yes: I hope I did. :pray:

I hope there will be another season of Sherlock.Iove Benedict so much in it.
But he's pretty busy now,Martin Freeman as well... :(

Back